Gaming PlayStation 5

£700 with no disk drive is ridiculous. I wanted to get it, but knowing it doesn't have a disk drive is a deal breaker.

Is there confirmation on the disk space? Is it still only 1TB?

Mental price and at the moment it's a bit like it was with the original PS5, there's an obvious lack of games that make it worthwhile.

GTA6 might change that, and maybe it'll be tempting to buy it as a combo package, but right now (apart from just getting the latest and greatest) it just seems bizarre.

I have no fecking clue what is going on with conversion rates anymore. So it's $699 which converts to roughly €635, yet the actual price over here is an utterly insane €799. In pounds it looks even worse. I get that you can't always just convert stuff, but this is an aboslute shocking price difference. How on earth do they expect this thing to sell in Europe and the UK?

They're probably banking on GTA 6 selling it. Nothing else will move this thing to the average consumer. Even at that, will people bother if it runs acceptably at 60fps on base PS5? I just don't know who they're targeting here. Nobody is being boxed into a corner to invest in this machine.

Really poor presentation to sell that for that money wasn't it? Oh here's a game that came out 4 YEARS AGO that you can now play in fidelity mode at 60 fps.

Cool, thanks Mark.

Really poor presentation to sell that for that money wasn't it? Oh here's a game that came out 4 YEARS AGO that you can now play in fidelity mode at 60 fps.

Cool, thanks Mark.

It's pretty much all they have, isn't it. Old games with better graphics on the PS5 compared to it's original PS4 version.

Cool, thanks Mark.
£700 for a not very impressive performance hike, and "advanced ray tracing (yeah right)" :lol:

£550 + £700 with games retailing at £60-70?

Should have just bought a p... :lol:

700 :lol:

I'll think about it in 2026 when the PS5 is struggling to hit 60 in any mode. Happy with performance mode until then.

Wait, it doesn't even have a disk drive??

That's a bizarre price, considering 4 years into PS5 that's probably not even value for money compared to a PC.

What a joke! Gaming has become a joke recently, won’t be buying that! Is it even much better spec?

£700 for the pro

I reckon it will bomb. They’ve overpriced it just like the VR 2

Ridiculous pricing

£700 for a not very impressive performance hike, and "advanced ray tracing (yeah right)" :lol:

£550 + £700 with games retailing at £60-70?

Should have just bought a p... :lol:
You could have built a monster gaming PC for £700.

In 2004.

What is the point of that. Completely fine with the PS5 I have.

Just checked prices of the add-ons on the PlayStation direct store. It would be €950 with a disc and vertical stand. :lol:

Unprecedented stupidity from Sony. They’ll have to drop that price. Going to get lampooned until they do.

Unprecedented stupidity from Sony. They’ll have to drop that price. Going to get lampooned until they do.
I think I heard/saw someone say that Sony actually makes a loss on each PS5 (hardware costs have gone up a fair bit). If true, this pricing probably makes sense, setting up to eventually have a higher benchmark for PS6

I think I heard/saw someone say that Sony actually makes a loss on each PS5 (hardware costs have gone up a fair bit). If true, this pricing probably makes sense, setting up to eventually have a higher benchmark for PS6
Digital Foundry certainly keep repeating that component costs are not going down like they used to, but who knows really? If that's the case, the current console business model is simply unsustainable (something Phil Spencer has hinted at but then again he's got his own motives).

Whatever the case is, come next generation they are going to be fecked if they can't offer a base model at a reasonable price. We can simply ignore this thing because the base PS5 exists, but next gen is a different story.

All of this makes me really curious to see what the Switch 2 will launch at next year.

Mass outrage online :lol:

I mean it’s stupidity. Americans rightly going mad at $700 but the British equivalent of £700 is $914

We’re getting absolutely shafted. Anyway this thing will be on sale constantly it’s going to bomb at those prices.

Accessibility to the masses is what drives the console market. Even at a loss per machine, once in a vast number of homes, that money is guaranteed to come back through software. With this act, you’re probably talking about alienating 2/3’s maybe even 3/4’s of your intended audience. How on earth do they think they will make the money back if they go through with this hair brained scheme?

Reminds me of the PC elite/master race days.

I mean it’s stupidity. Americans rightly going mad at $700 but the British equivalent of £700 is $914

We’re getting absolutely shafted. Anyway this thing will be on sale constantly it’s going to bomb at those prices.
The American price is without VAT, to be fair, which is 8 or 9% in some states. Still works out comparatively cheaper, mind, as with most tech in Europe.

Accessibility to the masses is what drives the console market. Even at a loss per machine, once in a vast number of homes, that money is guaranteed to come back through software. With this act, you’re probably talking about alienating 2/3’s maybe even 3/4’s of your intended audience. How on earth do they think they will make the money back if they go through with this hair brained scheme?

Reminds me of the PC elite/master race days.
I think the current price is alienating. I have a few friends who would play games casually and none of them have bought a console this generation.

Isn't that the case for most electronics? Same for phones as well, Pixel costs the same number in pounds as it does in dollars as.

I think the current price is alienating. I have a few friends who would play games casually and none of them have bought a console this generation.
I dunno, PS5 sales are enormous, Sony have increased the price because they can. MS released the Series S as a budget option and it was a total failure. That said the price of this Pro model is nuts, it could maybe be justified if it had a disc drive and the stand included but releasing a product that is lesser in some areas at a 30% markup is just bananas.

My guess is unlike the PS4 Pro Sony probably feel the PS5 Pro is just a "Pro" option for more hardcore gamers and are happy that the PS5 will still be the defacto for most? Whereas the PS4 already felt like it was struggling with games by the time the Pro came out.

Who knows, Sony gonna Sony, they always make baffling decisions.

I dunno, PS5 sales are enormous, Sony have increased the price because they can. MS released the Series S as a budget option and it was a total failure. That said the price of this Pro model is nuts, it could maybe be justified if it had a disc drive and the stand included but releasing a product that is lesser in some areas at a 30% markup is just bananas.

My guess is unlike the PS4 Pro Sony probably feel the PS5 Pro is just a "Pro" option for more hardcore gamers and are happy that the PS5 will still be the defacto for most? Whereas the PS4 already felt like it was struggling with games by the time the Pro came out.

Yeah i cant claim its hurt their sales obviously. They probably would buy one when GTA6 got released or if it ever went on sale, you could certainly pick them up later in the lifespan.
I just think this price will push it completely off the table for them and is shrinking the market basically.

I do think this is aimed much more at the enthusiast market than the PS4 Pro, which almost replaced the base model. That's clearly not going to happen this time.

Agreed. Had to buy my nephews*2 the ps5 otherwise they would have missed out, and I definitely won’t be extending that going forward. The prices were already proving to be prohibitive, but they’re now impossible for a lot of people, and even if you can afford it, the sheer principle of not having the piss taken out of you should have you take a stand.

Sony have lost touch with their customers again. They’ve done this multiple times in the past: mini disc players, top-end Bravia TV’s, PSVR2. And I’m probably missing some other products!