Gaming PlayStation 5

I don’t understand how they can possibly believe that they don’t have to offer a viable alternative to Gamepass.

I don't think they're looking to compete with MS directly. They just know eventually streaming services will be the norm.

MS will take the hit on their first party exclusives, but I doubt they would if they had the market share Sony currently have. Although eventually I'd imagine MS will restructure the pricing of GP, as at the moment it's very consumer friendly (and exploitable). They're not a charity despite people claiming they'll accept a loss on the Xbox branch of the company.

I'm going to see how it goes, but it does look like they see the need for newer games in the top two tiers

"At launch, we plan to include titles such as Death Stranding, God of War, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Mortal Kombat 11, and Returnal"

Not going to have new games on day one on there though. Which is something I never expected anyway, because I never really saw this as a competition for Gamepass. But still, I think many people were expecting that

Not going to have new games on day one on there though. Which is something I never expected anyway, because I never really saw this as a competition for Gamepass. But still, I think many people were expecting that

I'm not sure, I didn't expect that from Sony as their model makes a lot of money for them and GP is the Netflix style get users quick model which Sony don't need to do.. I am expecting them to put the big games onto the new service after around 12 months though and will be disappointed if it's only some of them.

I don’t understand how they can possibly believe that they don’t have to offer a viable alternative to Gamepass.
Offering first party games day one isn't viable as, as little as 9 months ago Game Pass was still not profitable.

Microsoft don't publish the profits/loss for their game division whereas Sony do, so going from making billions in profit to losing money overall isn't going to go down well.

There are still going to be big games on there but most likely 12+ months down the line rather than day one.

PS Now users get transferred to the highest tier which is currently double the price of Now, so best to stock up on Now subscriptions for those who can.
They've stopped offering 12 month subscriptions through the PS Store unsurprisingly, but there are still codes on external sites that work fine

https://www.gamivo.com/product/playstation-now-12-months-uk

^ OK only but they offer ones for different regions. It'll upgrade you to the top tier of the new PS+ in June at a £40 odd discount.

I can't see me upgrading. Zero interesting in streaming old games and any semi decent first party titles I'll already own.

I'm a bit baffled at what the incentive to pay the extra money is for, over the existing model? A few more introductory ps5 games which most people already own the majority of? The downloading, streaming etc. Libraries sound identical to the current situation.

Apart from that, it seems the same as having a PS+ and Now subscription in terms of content, except you could get both for much cheaper from other sites..

I half expected something to try and compete with Gamepass I.e. a bigger PS5 list, and Sony exclusives coming day one. That would probably make me upgrade.

I'm a bit baffled at what the incentive to pay the extra money is for, over the existing model? A few more introductory ps5 games which most people already own the majority of? The downloading, streaming etc. Libraries sound identical to the current situation.

Apart from that, it seems the same as having a PS+ and Now subscription in terms of content, except you could get both for much cheaper from other sites..

I half expected something to try and compete with Gamepass I.e. a bigger PS5 list, and Sony exclusives coming day one. That would probably make me upgrade.
It’s basically rebranding to justify a price increase.

The biggest advantage GPU is always going to have is to receive all Xbox exclusives on day 1, something Sony or Nintendo cannot rely compete with as they rely heavily on that revenue. Microsoft make profit elsewhere so they can afford to take a hit on this generation to build up their customer base and market share.

If Sony decided to go down the route of letting their exclusives hit subscription service after 1 year from release, it could be good for both them and their customers. Revenue on first party games is down significantly after a year but subscription would become much more appealing. The issue is with that you probably impact not only sales after 12 months but also for the interim 6-12 months period prior to that as there is little incentive to buy a new title when you know it will be part of your existing subscription in a few months.

This service was never going to compete with GPU but could end up offering some value to PS owners. I actually think PS Plus has offered great value over the years, if you’ve subscribed for 5-6 years you will have built up immense collection of games in your library.

For this to properly succeed, Sony will need to commit to this being a service for releasing new games, whether first or third-party. People aren't subscribing to GP because of its back catalogue. It's a nice addition to have but the real draw is knowing you can play new games on Day 1.

Anything else is just a PS Now rebrand and looks like poor value - something gamers tend to be strongly critical about.

Edit - Accept Sony don't actually need this to succeed. They're doing v. well as is.

Last edited:
Looks like a load of crap i'd rather they just didn't bother they don't need a game pass equivalent especially a half arsed one.

For this to properly succeed, Sony will need to commit to this being a service for releasing new games, whether first or third-party. People aren't subscribing to GP because of its back catalogue. It's a nice addition to have but the real draw is knowing you can play new games on Day 1.

Anything else is just a PS Now rebrand and looks like poor value - something gamers tend to be strongly critical about.

Edit - Accept Sony don't actually need this to succeed. They're doing v. well as is.

Most people don't consistently buy games day 1 though so not sure why that would be an expectation of such a service.

I probably buy 2 games a year day 1 the rest are as and when the price is attractive. If they put these games on a gamepass like service after several months and it makes financial sense then people will use it.

Looks overpriced for what you get so far. Something for the Sony heads to say “yeah but at least we’ve got this”.

If the games on ps now are all upscaled the way xbox have done theirs then it's really good. If not then meh wont bother.

So will PS1 and more PS2 games eventually find their way to this equivalent of Game Pass? Because that would be pretty cool to stream some old PS1 classics that I no longer have. Apologies if i've misunderstood but I assume they are going to expand their range for older games.

So will PS1 and more PS2 games eventually find their way to this equivalent of Game Pass? Because that would be pretty cool to stream some old PS1 classics that I no longer have. Apologies if i've misunderstood but I assume they are going to expand their range for older games.

It was something that interested me too but I have a feeling they will simply include the PS1/2/PSP Games already available on PS4 and call it a day.

Hope I'm wrong because I'd love to go back and play some PS1 RPGs.

It was something that interested me too but I have a feeling they will simply include the PS1/2/PSP Games already available on PS4 and call it a day.

Hope I'm wrong because I'd love to go back and play some PS1 RPGs.
I haven't seen any PS1 or PSP games available already? I've seen PS2 and PS3 games on PSNow and it's cool but I just wish the collection was bigger since the last time I looked.

Even something as silly as Hogs of War would be great to play again on a steaming service and I never played some of the classic PS1 RPGs other than FF games.

I haven't seen any PS1 or PSP games available already? I've seen PS2 and PS3 games on PSNow and it's cool but I just wish the collection was bigger since the last time I looked.

Even something as silly as Hogs of War would be great to play again on a steaming service and I never played some of the classic PS1 RPGs other than FF games.

Oh I think you're right actually. I was under the illusion that PS Now had PS1 games but it seems to start at PS2

https://www.psu.com/news/all-playstation-classics-on-psn/

These are all the classic games that were available on PS3 so it'd be cool if they added them

Hugely disappointed with this new tiered service.

I've got just under two years of my current ps plus subscription still to run thanks to a black Friday deal on shopto. So I would need to do what exactly to get these other tiers?

A good gesture would have been putting everyone with a ps plus sub that was taken out prior to this announcement, on the middle tier for 3-6 months at no extra charge.

Hugely disappointed with this new tiered service.

I've got just under two years of my current ps plus subscription still to run thanks to a black Friday deal on shopto. So I would need to do what exactly to get these other tiers?

A good gesture would have been putting everyone with a ps plus sub that was taken out prior to this announcement, on the middle tier for 3-6 months at no extra charge.
First tier is basically PS plus now, having the same price too. Am I missing something here? I don’t understand the complains from people.

First tier is basically PS plus now, having the same price too. Am I missing something here? I don’t understand the complains from people.

The complaint is that they do not say (unless I missed it, which is possible!) how those with existing PS plus subscriptions can upgrade to the new service and what the cost will be. I am not bothered about paying a bit more (I actually have a google stadia subscription but would ditch this if I can stream playstation games via PC). I don't like that there are 3 tiers where the middle one is only £15.99 a year cheaper. There's no reason to have the middle one at all IMO, it's a cheap marketing trick to make the doubling in price from basic to premium seem better value.

I also think that them saying the basic version is the same is not true. It says "Two games per month to download" whereas we typicaly get 3 games per month and sometimes more than that.

Last edited:
I also think that them saying the basic version is the same is not true. It says "Two games per month to download" whereas we typicaly get 3 games per month and sometimes more than that.

The website always said that. The PS5 game is a 'bonus' game. Nothing will change in that regard.

So, I finally beat returnal the first time around. I'm now trying a second playthrough to get the items to unlock the full ending. Got 4 out of 6 now, but the 5th biome keeps destroying me before I can find the item.

So, I finally beat returnal the first time around. I'm now trying a second playthrough to get the items to unlock the full ending. Got 4 out of 6 now, but the 5th biome keeps destroying me before I can find the item.
I couldn't do that second ending stuff. Was just pleased as hell that I got the first ending and the water biome just stretched my patience too far to get the item needed.

Very good game with a weird, unique vibe.

I couldn't do that second ending stuff. Was just pleased as hell that I got the first ending and the water biome just stretched my patience too far to get the item needed.

Very good game with a weird, unique vibe.

Yeah, last two biomes are brutal. I feel I want to get it done, but I won't be surprised if I bin it off if I keep hitting a wall.

Have you tried the new tower mode? Had a couple of runs at that and it's really enjoyable.

Yeah, last two biomes are brutal. I feel I want to get it done, but I won't be surprised if I bin it off if I keep hitting a wall.

Have you tried the new tower mode? Had a couple of runs at that and it's really enjoyable.
No, not tried it. Nice to see they're adding DLC though; I do wonder if they'll make a sequel but I heard somewhere that it wasn't the most profitable game.

For PS plus owners won't there be a fairly bit library of 700 plus games to check out? If your referring to Ps now I have read that the 700 games may be over and above it's library.

Firesprite are making quite a few games. Horizon Call of the Mountain (VR) and Twisted Metal are known, but they are also making a horror game

We are looking for a Narrative Director to join our development team for a AAA narrative driven horror-adventure game in Unreal 5.  The Narrative Director is responsible for the project storytelling, helping establish & consider the game's universe and lore, with responsibility for the quality implementation of narrative content for project milestones and ultimately the game's release.

https://www.firesprite.com/careers/job/C9466133BF

a mobile game

We are looking for a Senior Narrative Designer to work as part of a cross-discipline team taking early steps in the creation of Mobile Gaming IP at Firesprite.  This is a great opportunity to shape the early development efforts as part of the Firesprite strategy to create pioneering experiences on new platforms.

https://www.firesprite.com/careers/job/F740D5938C

and a shooter

We are looking for a Senior Designer to create, own and iterate on the core game systems for a AAA service driven multiplayer shooter with a unique setting and traversal method – we’re looking for someone capable to impart their stamp from the moment-to-moment gameplay through to session to session and season to season. Working with a cross-discipline team, you will often be the product owner for features and systems that fit perfectly into the game.

https://www.firesprite.com/careers/job/1BF6B1C2CB

Returnal true ending achieved. It may have taken me 140 deaths to do it, but I'm still pleased to have done it by myself.

I'm guessing the idea now is to unlock all the weapon traits I've not yet got.

Even though I lost my save yesterday due to my PS5 crashing (and PS cloud saves sucking compared to Xbox), I decided to carry on and behold: My first ever Platinum trophy.

17fea12565c31-screenshot-Url.jpg