Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

He may actually be 10% better than Fred/Mct but we needed 100% better. That's the issue.

Yeah, a better player would obviously be preferable. I just think Højbjerg could potentially be decent, and all these "Oh no, we might as well shut down the club" reactions to the link are a bit over the top.

With the way Casemiro been playing recently, we'll be looking for a replacement of him this time next year.

United lack competence and (common-sense) foresight.

Right. So in 12 months we need to sign a Casemiro replacement. Which one are we selling? The 32 year old we spent 60m on 2 years ago earning 300k+ a week or the 29 year old vastly inferior Hojberg that we spent 30m on just 12 months ago? There is zero scenario outside of him coming in as a 12 month stop-gap on loan where Hojberg is a “decent” signing.

I would imagine next summer Mainoo would be phased in making Hojberg a backup and we go all out on a top DM to replace Casemiro and sell him.
This is all on the premise that Hojberg would be available this summer for less than 20m by the way and not on crazy wages either.

Considering we are budget restricted this summer, he is a much better signing than Gravenbech who, in my opinion just is not good enough, and is not even the right profile of midfielder.

If we can get Amrabat, Mount, and Hojberg in to replace McTominay, Fred and VDB would say its not a bad bit of business.

Of course if we had more budget then I would suggest going all out for a top midfielder this summer, but we've seen how the market has been.
Another option we have been looking at is Onana I believe? However pretty sure he is going to cost at least 50m (which we apparently don't have)

False. Mount had made his mind up to leave and was on final year of contract. Chelsea also had to sell. It just aligned for us and it was well reported that Poch wanted to keep him.

Liverpool were also keen on him, so he was effectively rated highly by Poch, Klopp, Ten Hag and Tuchel.
I have to start convincing myself just like you too. Mount was rated by everyone in the world. Mount was rated by everyone in the world. Mount was rated by everyone in the world.

I have to start convincing myself just like you too. Mount was rated by everyone in the world. Mount was rated by everyone in the world. Mount was rated by everyone in the world.
I don't need to convince anyone. I'm just against people literally making shit up. For example saying Poch never wanted Mount which is just talking out of one's arse.

False. Mount had made his mind up to leave and was on final year of contract. Chelsea also had to sell. It just aligned for us and it was well reported that Poch wanted to keep him.

Liverpool were also keen on him, so he was effectively rated highly by Poch, Klopp, Ten Hag and Tuchel.
Arteta was after him as well.

Thuram and Kone seem two rated youngsters.Why not make a move for them or players in that age bracket who are talented and eager to improve ?

It’s a bit sickening that our rivals can pick up the likes of Caciedo while we’re looking in the bargain bins

ten Hag's preference was Mount, and I'm pretty sure we weren't looking in the bargain bin for that deal.

Hojbjerg, like was said to be the case with Amrabat, will most likely be used to cover Casemiro or play alongside him in the so called tougher away games to sure up our porous midfielder. We're not paying over the odds for a squad player.

How many times have we got suckered into buying players that were being "chased" byother top clubs

Maguire
Fred
Lukaku
Sanchez

I would imagine next summer Mainoo would be phased in making Hojberg a backup and we go all out on a top DM to replace Casemiro and sell him.
So we'll spend big next summer on a Casemiro replacement, a Casemiro who's only been here at that point for two campaigns and one we shelled 60 million out for.

United's planning is, bluntly, fecking horrendous.

He doesn't seem to be bad player. Good at what he does though limited it may be. What rankles me again is the "played for EtH before". What is the point of all other roles in the hierarchy if EtH basically does everything for the club? Why waste money on all these executives? Any one following football religiously could have come up with better options for us.

Or we could not sign Hojberg and not have to take the huge loss selling Casemiro who is a far better player than him anyway. Simple.

Football is a squad game. We have no one who can play next to Casemiro at the moment if we need to play a double pivot, and no actual DM to play if he gets injured.
We have to sign someone and we are budget restricted. He is not a bad option, not the best option, just saying he isn't a bad one. I would prefer we signed Amrabat and someone of the profile of Onana or even Nunez from Wolves, but at the end of the day, it looks like we can't afford it.

Can't see it happening, especially for the £30m I've seen reported. Think this is the agent trying to get him a move before the deadline and we obviously need a MF.

It'll be a loan, if it does happen.

Thuram and Kone seem two rated youngsters.Why not make a move for them or players in that age bracket who are talented and eager to improve ?
Because that’s dumb. It’s better to wait for them to join in Brighton or another stepping stone club and then pay that club 500 million in two years.

Surely we have scouts positioned around the world that are able to identify a young (early 20’s) player, who we can pick up pretty cheaply that is better than bloody Højbjerg? If the likes of Brighton and Brentford can identify these players why can’t we?

Mount was such a weird transfer. Maddison can play better as a 6 and an 8, was 10-15m less, was in form/ still developing last year and takes excellent set pieces.

Clubs like Liverpool, City etc have focussed significantly on set pieces, knowing that most football matches can be won by a moment of magic, but we, as usual, are 10 years behind.

I don't need to convince anyone. I'm just against people literally making shit up. For example saying Poch never wanted Mount which is just talking out of one's arse.

If Pochettino really rated Mount and felt that he would have made a huge difference for Chelsea's midfield, Chelsea's leadership would have done everything to convince Mount to sign or even forced him to stay, just like how PSG have handled Mbappe. Either Pochettino was convinced easily that Mount is expendable or Pochettino himself decided he may not need Mount at all.

Doesn't matter if we buy another midfielder or not I don't care anymore. It will be someone who will be okay but nothing special and i am done with this type of signing from us.

We fecked up big time by buying Mount this summer, useless expensive player who will be mid at his best, running merchant who is neither good at 8 or 6 or 10. And when you see other teams in the top 4 how they upgraded their midfield and got quality there it is really big disappointment from us. Somehow we always manage to get the worst player on the market.

When you see the other teams purchases in the midfield this year, you're getting jealous and I don't know how we decided that Mount is the perfect player and the priority signing for us this summer, fack it.

If we compare every midfield addition from our rivals to Mount they are all better, which is disgrace when United knew that we needed top midfielder next to Case this year we fecked it up big time once again. But we've been here for 10 years now, so I don't get surprised anymore.

Put them on list:

Spurs got Maddison = better than Mount
City got Kovacic and soon Nunes = both better than Mount
Arsenal got Rice = better than Mount
Liverpool got Mac Allister and Szobo = both better than Mount
Chelsea got Caicedo and Lavia = both better than Mount
Newcastle got Tonali = better than Mount
Even West ham got Alvarez and JWP = and accept it as you wish but in my opinion they are both better than Mount. (PS: They had better summer window than us :lol: - Kudus , JWP , Alvarez and Mavropanos and still looking for 1 more :lol: we've got Injured striker, Mount and Onana who is the only positive signing this summer but he is still only a goalkeeper and we had and still have a lot more problems in our XI than a facking GK at least we upgraded on De Gea)

It is just hilarious.

I don't know how we manage to put up the same circus every year and we still somehow endure these clowns. We're just not serious and we're not going to get anywhere near the top in the coming years, even if Pep become our coach. .

I don't see a glimmer of hope for United and I'm not kidding.

Last year we somehow managed to get to the top 4 with a lot of luck and in the end we almost missed the top 4 (Luckily we won 1-0 vs Villa at home and got easiest version of Chelsea too).

Pile of absolute guff. Stop screaming into the wind.

Mount was such a weird transfer. Maddison can play better as a 6 and an 8, was 10-15m less, was in form/ still developing last year and takes excellent set pieces.

Clubs like Liverpool, City etc have focussed significantly on set pieces, knowing that most football matches can be won by a moment of magic, but we, as usual, are 10 years behind.

Mount is also very good at set pieces.

No he can't, he's a #10 or can play out wide at a push, like he did for Leicester on occasion. Doesn't have the athleticism to even attempt being an #8 in the system EtH wants to play.

How many times have we got suckered into buying players that were being "chased" byother top clubs

Maguire
Fred
Lukaku
Sanchez
And some of our fans believe anything. I laughed at rumours like PSG wanting Rashford. It's plain as day that those rumours are for us to offer Rashford a new contract.

This forum. 2 games in and Mount is already labelled a flop/not a fit :nervous:

Also: Højbjerg (despite being the best guy at Spurs with Kane last year and probably having the best year of his career so far) is terrible.

If Pochettino really rated Mount and felt that he would have made a huge difference for Chelsea's midfield, Chelsea's leadership would have done everything to convince Mount to sign or even forced him to stay, just like how PSG have handled Mbappe. Either Pochettino was convinced easily that Mount is expendable or Pochettino himself decided he may not need Mount at all.
You can't pretend to be in the board room and assume they didn't try. A tier one source said he wanted him to stay which is about as close to the truth as you can get. Mount was set on us and we got him, ahead of Klopp too.

This guy is the posterboy for the "happy to compete for top6" camp. Is an ok footballer, but doesnt do anything outside of the ordinary you expect from a top6 team.

Surely we have scouts positioned around the world that are able to identify a young (early 20’s) player, who we can pick up pretty cheaply that is better than bloody Højbjerg? If the likes of Brighton and Brentford can identify these players why can’t we?

I mean by now it's clear that we, in fact, do not have that capacity. Or, and I think it's a likelier explanation, we do not make that kind of signings. Or if/when we do, they don't see first team action.

Caicedo was 20. If he signed for United we'd probably be talking about loaning him to a Championship side right now after a year of getting few minutes at best.

And we'd probably have as many meltdowns about signing / playing an unproven player straight from Venezuela.

I mean by now it's clear that we, in fact, do not have that capacity. Or, and I think it's a likelier explanation, we do not make that kind of signings. Or if/when we do, they don't see first team action.

Caicedo was 20. If he signed for United we'd probably be talking about loaning him to a Championship side right now after a year of getting few minutes at best.

And we'd probably have as many meltdowns about signing / playing an unproven player straight from Venezuela.
IMO fans are bit more hopeful and supportive when it comes to signings like these. It's signing known quantities for high wages and transfer fee that people seem to have a problem with. Even Casemiro's signing last year had a lot of doubters...

Those club's whole focus is what you described so they have the recruitment and scouting team set up for it. We tend to either ask Ten Hag if he knows of anyone or else go for a household name, maybe someone that Danny Murphy or Alan Shearer highlighted at some point.

IMO fans are bit more hopeful and supportive when it comes to signings like these. It's signing known quantities for high wages and transfer fee that people seem to have a problem with. Even Casemiro's signing last year had a lot of doubters...
Yep, beat me to it. United fans are always more positive and responsive to young talents brought in. And why not ? its part of the clubs history.

You just need to browse through the actaul Canciedo thread to notice that.

I remember the panic of the first few games of Casemiro being a dud from a farmer's league.

I don't put it all on supporters for young players, that's also an issue with the culture at the club. In truth if United signed Caicedo for 5m it would maybe have barely registered as a transfer discussion (or at least not with the same furor).

Why would Spurs do that? Makes zero sense on their end.

Makes zero sense for us to pay money for him, which is why I think it's nonsense.

Only makes sense for Spurs if he's really pushing for it and wants to leave, but I don't think he'd play here anymore than he'd play for Spurs. He's still a useful squad player for them.

I just think it's a nothing link. We need MF cover but this doesn't make sense for United at all, unless it's a loan.

I remember the panic of the first few games of Casemiro being a dud from a farmer's league.

I don't put it all on supporters for young players, that's also an issue with the culture at the club. In truth if United signed Caicedo for 5m it would maybe have barely registered as a transfer discussion (or at least not with the same furor).

Being repeated this season too

Makes zero sense for us to pay money for him, which is why I think it's nonsense.

Only makes sense for Spurs if he's really pushing for it and wants to leave, but I don't think he'd play here anymore than he'd play for Spurs. He's still a useful squad player for them.

I just think it's a nothing link. We need MF cover but this doesn't make sense for United at all, unless it's a loan.

Hasn't he wanted to leave Spurs since before the summer?

Hasn't he wanted to leave Spurs since before the summer?

Yeah he nearly joined Roma I think, but he's on good money.

By wants to leave, I mean to the point where he was causing a stink in the dressing room, but the fact he's been involved in their games so far suggests he's not that type.

Yep, beat me to it. United fans are always more positive and responsive to young talents brought in. And why not ? its part of the clubs history.

You just need to browse through the actaul Canciedo thread to notice that.
I honestly do t think this is true. As a club we seemed to bring youth through but not buy as many.
There was the 08 team that had 2/3 of them but apart for that?

Being repeated this season too
Not really but I do worry that Cas seems unable to continually find a team-mate with a 5 yard pass or is sluggish on the ball for the umpteenth time during a game.