Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

I honestly do t think this is true. As a club we seemed to bring youth through but not buy as many.
There was the 08 team that had 2/3 of them but apart for that?
Well, post SAF, not so much because the club has gone to sh*t since then.
But even in SAF last few campaigns we brought in : Obertan, Powell, Buttner, Tosic, Chica, Smalling, Jones, DDG and I'm sure I missed a couple.

Not really but I do worry that Cas seems unable to continually find a team-mate with a 5 yard pass or is sluggish on the ball for the umpteenth time during a game.

The passing issue is tactical, it was noticeable half way through last season that he was being asked to play quicker passes and play at a higher tempo, which to me looks like its causing him to be careless with his passing.
He needs to slow it down a bit and also stop pressing so high, however I would imagine he is being asked to do both these things by ETH

It’s a bit sickening that our rivals can pick up the likes of Caciedo while we’re looking in the bargain bins
Yeah, loll no. We can buy whoever want, but we are sensible and don't want to feck out FFP. Nobody really knows what will happen with Chelsea-like behavior in a few years - their success and reaching CL aren't guaranteed. We have spent an insane amount of money already, not all transfers worked out - Lukaku*, Pogba*, Di Maria*, Sancho?, Antony?. Nobody knows how Chelsea's transfers work out.

Another Ten Hag old boy. When he leaves, and he will leave at some point, what we going to do with all his old boys?

I can’t think of a manager who has brought so many of his former players with him.

Another Ten Hag old boy. When he leaves, and he will leave at some point, what we going to do with all his old boys?

I can’t think of a manager who has brought so many of his former players with him.

extend their contracts with salary raises and struggle to sell.

Until the owners are gone, United will be shopping at the Europa League level.
But we didn't shop at EL level. We had 3 major signings for premium fees and all are from top of the list. Are they right signings in this moment is another story.

It is DoF's responsibility to spend transfer budget wise. We simply don't have a good DoF.

Crazy isnt it. Amrabat, Gravenberg and Hojberg are all players ETH has worked with before.

Why the club are allowing this is beyond me. The whole point of a DoF is to stratgise the medium/long term squad developement. It shouldnt matter who the manager is as long as the club has a playing philiosphy that matches that of the DoF and the club at large.

We are doing the same thing we did with Van Gaal, Ole and to a lesser extent Mourinho, pandering to the managers whims.

Well, post SAF, not so much because the club has gone to sh*t since then.
But even in SAF last few campaigns we brought in : Obertan, Powell, Buttner, Tosic, Chica, Smalling, Jones, DDG and I'm sure I missed a couple.
But most of them were simple squad players.
What I would say is we are so accustomed to having an above average team that we place too much emphasis on squad builder signings. We’ve been offered a chance for cover behind Casemiro and Mainoo yet people are freaking out as if every signing should be a game changer or some South American wonder kid that we somehow bought for 1m dollars.

It’s depressing watching us do business. Another Ten Hag nepo-signing? This club is so incompetent.

We need pace and power in midfield. Why the fark are we looking at Hojberg. It's not that he's bad, it's just he's a bad fit. How could we have looked at other better suited midfielders move this summer, done sweet FA, and now be looking at this guy. Typical Man Utd

Crazy isnt it. Amrabat, Gravenberg and Hojberg are all players ETH has worked with before.

Why the club are allowing this is beyond me. The whole point of a DoF is to stratgise the medium/long term squad developement. It shouldnt matter who the manager is as long as the club has a playing philiosphy that matches that of the DoF and the club at large.

We are doing the same thing we did with Van Gaal, Ole and to a lesser extent Mourinho, pandering to the managers whims.

You have to question what the club has spent the past year doing since last summer.
What was Murtough, our DOF actually doing?
I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt last summer, with new manager coming in etc, however they have had a whole year to prepare for this window having did feck all in Jan.

of that the DoF and scouting is so inept that he can’t find players

Can Hojbjerg play a six better than anyone in our squad excluding Casemiro. Yes.
Is he my first choice, no. Amrabat would be.

We were never going for Rice or Caicedo because we are skint and spunked half our budget on a player we did not need in Mount and then an extortionate fee on a young player with promise and not ready to start. Good signings both may end up being but the DM/CM should have been the priority. Anyway Hojbjerg would also cost a fair bit more than Amrabat so I don’t see how we could sign him now.

Over signing no one though I’m certainly taking Hojbjerg, he is not a Spurs reject, he is just not in the new managers plans it seems. I certainly rate him better than our remaining option of McTominay who is clearly not good at 6 and bang average at 8. Great at being tall and an academy graduate though.

Unfortunately though it all just seems like shambolic late in the window panicking by us.
All I see happening is a LB last day signing, the reserve keeper and nothing else by close of window. Then the fun and games will really start…

Yeah at 35m this is just no deal in my opinion.
Hes a decent player, but at 28 and lacking pace, I don't see him as a good option over Amrabat

Any news on the structure of a deal? You gotta think it’s a loan, which is why it may be a better option than buying Amrabat.

Spurs apparently want 35m

But we didn't shop at EL level. We had 3 major signings for premium fees and all are from top of the list. Are they right signings in this moment is another story.

It is DoF's responsibility to spend transfer budget wise. We simply don't have a good DoF.

Absolutely agree. Our previous managers failings are not because of transfer spend. They should have never had that much responsibility and power on transfers. The structure will continue to fail the manager. The Glazers should go because they have continously ignored the failings of those working above the manager.

Spurs apparently want 35m
This would be a terrible deal. If we can’t afford £20m for Amrabat where we gonna find £35m ? Our use of money this summer been very questionable. Onana would be just as bad.

Sell them to him at his new club.

I'd have agreed with you, but in an effort to cope with the last few days of the window and all the shite we'll be linked with, I looked up his stats...

I thought he was basically a pure midfield destroyer, but his passing and possession stats are actually shockingly decent:

Screenshot-2023-08-29-102406.png

Screenshot-2023-08-29-102431.png

He's not exactly going to be Frenkie de Jong, but he's really not too far from the profile of the player you'd want between Casemiro and Bruno at all.

Interesting stats. It coincides with how I’ve seen him for Denmark in two championships. He made team of the tournament in 2020, and was possibly their best player in 2022, so we was among the best of a good bunch and among the best of a bad bunch. He is very safe on the ball in the first two thirds. Doesn’t go past players, but very sound passing. Positionally sound, leadership type.

Available this summer because Postecoglu wants another MF make up than Mou/Conte did (obviously). He is also a player that can bring in a good sum. Tuchel according to some wanted him for Chelsea and now for Bayern, Atletico also interested.

Most likely to me we are linked with him because semi-journous speculate on obvious facts like we need a MF, Højbjerg looking to leave and ‘played for TH’. It would mke a bit of sense, though, because he is much safer than Fred and McT, and a different kind of player to Bruno/Mount/Van de Beek. If 30-40m is our ceiling due to FFP/Glazers, I don’t see any players that obviously balances a MF of Bruno, Mount, Eriksen and Casemiro (+Mainoo?) better for that price.

Are we replacing Scott with this guy or have we found some cash stuck in the sofa?

Surprised so many are so strongly against. He's a good player - I don't think there's much to split him and Amrabat, who I also rate. Amrabat is a year younger, sure, but on the flipside Hojbjerg is much better in the air, which is a bit of a team-wide weakness right now.

At the end of the day both are hard working midfielders who are reliable in possession. It'd be nice to have one of those as an option.

I do rate Højbjerg really high too. A really good allround CM player.

BUT....after taking a look at Matheus Nunes. From Wolves and wanted by City.

If United have money to give City competition.

100 % sure Nunes has more to his game than Højbjerg.
More difficult to take the ball from Nunes than Højbjerg

Nunes = A more Frenkie De Jong and Rodri cm player nr.6. Those 3 can pass high press, most of the times. Not always because they are still human. Still do mistake

Højbjerg & Amrabat = more ballwinner and counter attack.

If Ten Hag is aiming to play dictating and controlling football. Pro active and ball possesion = A top ball playing nr.6 is needed.

Sum up

+ A new top ball playing nr.6 = to play attack and controlling football = Lobotka or Nunes from Wolves

+ A top ball winner to break up City, Liverpool and Arsenal attack = Amrabat or Højbjerg

But remember City, Liverpool and maybe Arsenal have really good nr.8. So even United and Ten Hag get a top ball playing nr.6. United might need time to gel theirs teams and to come up to the level of City, Arsenal and Liverpool.
Managers those have years and more time to play the football they want.

In others words. United and Ten Hag have more weakness than City.
City are close as complete as you can get, as a team. United and far and far from it.

United and Ten hag don't have a rock solid and top Defend

You need to become complete as a team. With few weakness. To compete with City.

United and Ten need more than a top nr.6.

A top world class CB is needed too

But to get top 4. Buying a top or really close to top is enough. BUT to win premier league. Right now. I think United and Ten Hag is short of a world class CB.

Every winning team need and demand and world class and rock solid defend.

Look at the treble winning team in history:

United with Stam in 1999
Inter with Lucio and Samuel
City with Ruben Dias and Rodri

Beside a top nr.6. Definitely United and Ten Hag need a top CB

Any news on the structure of a deal? You gotta think it’s a loan, which is why it may be a better option than buying Amrabat.

I don't know where all this talk of a loan is coming from. That would be like the equivalent of Utd loaning Lindelof to Spurs.

Good in defensive transitions where we are piss poor at the moment.

Progresses play well through passing.

I think he is a slightly better fit than Amrabat and there is a reason why Simeone was linked with him at the start of the summer.

Regardless of previous association with ten Hag if we can secure this and Gravenberch with a McTominay out to accompany Fred then I think that is upgrades all around.

Another player where no one in their right mind would have mentioned him as an option prior, yet suddenly they're decent after we're linked with them.

Another player where no one in their right mind would have mentioned him as an option prior, yet suddenly they're decent after we're linked with them.

Why would anyone be suggesting signing a decent player instead of a top class one though?

Wouldn’t mind having him in the squad as I think he’s decent but to spunk the limited budget we have for a midfielder on him would be lunacy.

We need to start building a squad of younger talents not players who will be past their peak in a year or two.

Absolute madness if we go for him when there are gettable players like Kouadio Kone and Thuram knocking about at the same quoted fees.

Nothing player but we have a habit of signing them these days so whatever

How is this a nepo signing? He must have only managed him when he was 17-18 for 2 years, for a reserve side.

Yeah, loll no. We can buy whoever want, but we are sensible and don't want to feck out FFP. Nobody really knows what will happen with Chelsea-like behavior in a few years - their success and reaching CL aren't guaranteed. We have spent an insane amount of money already, not all transfers worked out - Lukaku*, Pogba*, Di Maria*, Sancho?, Antony?. Nobody knows how Chelsea's transfers work out.

Yes we do know. Nothing will happen. They are giving out 8 years contracts which is within the rules. Before this regime was another who spent way beyond their income streams. For a decade Chelsea and city have both proven spending is fine regardless of income. I mean genuine income. We got a fine this year for a slight FFP infringement. I’d say the guys that monitor FFP have a keen eye on the so called big clubs of old more so than these new money clubs it appears.

People losing their minds in this thread and the Amrabat thread despite there being no real credible links to suggest we actually want them. It is all agent driven. Of course the reality is worse because in fact we won’t be buying anyone, our cnut owners have closed up shop for the summer and that will be that.