Phil Jones

I am guessing he is not fit for the Real clash if he wasn't even on the bench today! Has there been any word on when he might be back?

It's the open training session right now right? Hopefully it's a bit of mind games and he'll come out once the press bugger off.

Jones did a great job against Real in the first leg and if fit I'd like him to play in the return leg.

However, I don't think he's good enough to merit selection if he's not 100% fit.

He shouldn't be playing in this game unless he's 100% fit, we can't carry a single passenger in a game like this.

It's the open training session right now right? Hopefully it's a bit of mind games and he'll come out once the press bugger off.

Yeah, its the open training session that was held this morning.

According to the Telegraph, Fergie is willing to give Jones a chance and as much time as possible to prove his fitness before tomorrow's game.

To be honest, I'm sure the Madrid fans will be happy of news that he's not featuring. He was a huge thorn in their side and might be a bigger loss than some on here think.

To be honest, I'm sure the Madrid fans will be happy of news that he's not featuring. He was a huge thorn in their side and might be a bigger loss than some on here think.

Yep. He is a very good athelete and we need his pace and strength in the middle to go and track runners through the middle. Effectively marked out Ronaldo from the corners too.

If Cleverley starts and without Vidic, it will have to be Rio who marks him. That leaves their 2 CB's....

Is Phil Jones becoming the new Darren Fletcher?

Hmm.. They do a similar sort of job but in a different way. Fletcher was a great presser and box to box while being pretty good in possession too.

Jones on the other hand doesn't press as well, or pass as well but is a better pure athelete and gives us good energy. But he in the big games has almost been playing as a third CB releasing some pressure of Carrick and tracking the diagonal runs.

Is Phil Jones becoming the new Darren Fletcher?

I'll be pleased if he reaches the form of Fletcher 08/09 as a Midfielder but he has a higher ceiling than Fletch.

I still don't have a clue where he will end up playing, I'm more inclined to say Centreback after recent performances there but he'll need a sharp improvement in the next couple of years to get ahead of Evans who will be nearing his peak and Smalling who I think has the edge over him now.

Jones out ? :(

We need a athelete to match their fast counters in the middle and also to track their diagonal runs which Ronaldo makes. I'm little bit More worried now as Jones did the Defensive job very well first leg and second leg would have had more leeway.

Plus aerially, if they Play Ramos RB, And Varane and Pepe at CB along with Khedira and Ronaldo we could have a problem. Jones nullified crazy leap Ronaldo off set pieces too.

Big blow.

I'll be surprised if it is mind-games. Jones hasn't really had much time to train, so it would be a massive risk. Last thing we want is Jones feeling the strain 20 minutes in and in need to replace him. Would mess us right up.

Are people really worried Jones is not available? I'd understand if Carrick, RvP, Rooney, Evra, or Rafael were out injured, and people were concerned.

SAF said that he wasn't fit, did he not? Jones also didn't train today. The Madrid fans will be happy to hear news of that IMO, given his performance in the first leg.

Jones really did put in a "good shift" against Real. The good news is that we have bona fide all worlders on the squad, which Jones is nowhere near yet, to deal with the situation tomorrow night.

Still, you have to wonder what the game plan is going to be to deal with Ronaldo. We simply cannot play Real straight up. Ronaldo has to be accounted for at all times.

We're less than 24 hours away, boys and girls!

Most people were moaning at SAF prior to KO in the first leg for picking Jones.

He won't play. It would be daft to include a player in a game as huge as this that hasn't trained for about 2 weeks.

Anyone else think that it's bad news for Rafael and that Fergie might play Smalling right back believing him better capable to deal with Ronaldo toe to toe?

Anyone else think that it's bad news for Rafael and that Fergie might play Smalling right back believing him better capable to deal with Ronaldo toe to toe?

Fergie said Rafael would play.

Not a chance.

In incredible form and was rested at the weekend.

He's nailed on.

My only concern is that if Fergie gets a bit obsessed with man marking Ronaldo he may play Smalling at RB and stick Rafa on him.

What does it matter what people were saying before kick off? the lad ended up doing a very effective job.

Jones was good nuisance value, mind. Effective is probably the right word. We're playing at Old Trafford, and a club like United with all the attacking options at our disposal should not be thinking of being negative. Jones would have been a defensive/negative choice at home.

I think we'll play midfield trio of Carrick, Giggs, and Cleverley.

Edit