Phil Jones

Shut up you utter pleb.

He had one task, stop Ronaldo, he was as much a midfielder as either of our central defenders were tonight. If anything it showed how good a defender he will be.

feck sake, you'll do anything to make our midfield look good when in reality it was the glaring weakspot of an otherwise superb team performance tonight.

Agree with Cina here. It was a very minimalist role but he performed this role admirably. Doesn't make you a midfielder though. Especially in what's required of a CM in recent years and for United as well.

Scares the bejesus outta me this lad, always throwing himself at something. Hope he's ok.

He's certainly not very intelligent in his tackling. You have to commend his bravery I suppose but it was pretty clear after his sloppy turn there was going to be a collision and I don't think he could have went in to it much worse.

Gutted for the lad as he's been looking solid of late. Particulaly concerned seeing that he did a decent job on Ronaldo last week and will probably be considered for the same role in the home leg.

Hope it's not a serious one.

Need him for the Madrid game. Makes so many unnecessary challenges full pelt.

He often makes silly challenges after he has lost the ball. A lot of times he runs with the ball too far ahead of him or fails to control a ball, and just doesn't stop.

Would be a loss. Hopefully it's just precaution and he'll be back for the Madrid game.

Gutted for the lad as he's been looking solid of late. Particulaly concerned seeing that he did a decent job on Ronaldo last week and will probably be considered for the same role in the home leg.

Hope it's not a serious one.

this.

hope it is just one of those "john terry's" injury of old where he looks bad carried off but was back in action a week later.

this.

hope it is just one of those "john terry's" injury of old where he looks bad carried off but was back in action a week later.

I thought a John Terry injury was - be injured for every England friendly but then miraculously fit for every Chelsea game immediately after.

It's so frustrating cause he once again did it to himself. When the ball first got to him he was fine, but an awful touch gave McAnuff a chance, and he lunged in. Needs to learn some discipline, for his body's sake.

Would have thought he could watch some videos of Rio. Felt like Rio could got 10 matches without making a tackle, no matter going to ground.

BDa1-3JCMAAA_D3.jpg

:(

Cant fault his braveness to always want to put his body on the line to make tackles and blocks, but he does seem to do it with poor technique a lot of the time. Its certainly not the first time I've seen him hurt himself making a slidetackle of some sort, of course the others werent severe but he was just lucky that they were painful but didnt have a lasting impact. If he continues to go into challenges with his style we may have to get used to him injuring himself

I imagine from the impact he has slightly sprained his ankle.

He seemed to be able to walk so i dont think it will be ligament damage, but he did take a decent impact on the joint so anything is possible.

I agree though that he is sometimes too brave for his own good. He is clearly trying his hardest to not let the opposition get any space, but he should probably have just pulled out of that challenge - would of won a throw in anyway.

Feels like a big blow, given how he played last week. Poor Phil, so unlucky with injuries.

At this point a decent amount of his injuries aren't down to bad luck at all. It was pretty clear from the way he went in to the challenge against Reading that he was going to end up hurt.

As I said before, his bravery is a good quality, but he needs to learn to control it better. You can't go in to absolutely every tackle as hard as you can.

Also, him charging into the tackle was a result of a very poor first touch.

As some of you have said, a bit of restriction when it comes to jumping into challenges all guns blazing wouldn't be too bad an idea.

I'd rather he didn't start against Real at OT.

So you wouldn't have a man marker on Ronaldo for the second leg? Jones was epic in Madrid and was among the main reasons why we got a result there!
I think it would not be wise to not have a man marker on Ronaldo for the second leg and if Jones is injured for that game then we don't really have any one else in the squad who can man mark at the level Fletcher or Jones can.

We're winning the tie right now, Real will be far less cautious in the second leg and I don't think the best way to combat that is throw Jones on Ronaldo for the entire match which will leave us with only a single midfielder again (Carrick). We're at OT, I'll be severely disappointed if we go out with a mentality like we did in the Bernebau (which was perfect for there, not here).

Well we have tended have gotten laughed at with our proper 2 men midfield minus Fletcher or a similar type player against the biggest teams in Europe over the years!!!

I would prefer we had Jones while at the same time making sure our front four are as fresh as can be so that they can play the game at a high tempo form start to finish to try and finish Real off while still remaining cautious at the back!