Paul Pogba

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't set a good precedent to make exceptions to players like that. If people don't understand that, they don't understand Ferguson.

Like I have said so many times, I understand why he wasn't started. It was in our best interests to have him commit his future to us, and there are several instances where Ferguson had made exceptions for special talents, and he was one. Discipline him all you want, but after he had signed the bloody contract!

And the same would have been the case with Pogba. Yes, his attitude with the reserves wasn't as good as it could have been, but if the alternative was losing him then he should have been started. I understand the reasons Ferguson had for not starting him, just think that we should have made an exception in case of a talent as exceptional as Pogba.

Agreed. We've learned our lesson though and now we just have to hope he decides to stay with us. He can't use lack of game time as an excuse anyway.

He was 18. He didn't have a Premier League appearance to his name, he'd played a few minutes in the Carling Cup but that was it.

We'd have been asking him to come in and play alongside Ji Sung Park in central midfield in a tough away fixture in the EPL with the "experienced" centre back partnership of Carrick and Jones behind him and no Rooney to drop and help out either.

Fergie had been bringing though young players for years and he knows that the most important thing is to protect them. Throwing a player into a mix like that no matter how head strong they are is just unnecessary. I think people really need to gain a bit of perspective over that decision. At that point Park and Rafael had over 300 games worth of experience for United.

We were at home, against the worst team in the league. And Park and Rafael might have had 'experience', but neither of them are central bloody midfielders! You cant just play a player in any position, because they have experience, then scratch your head when they don't have a clue what they're doing.

I reckon Fergie of 5 years before that game would have played Pogba that day. He just a bit to conservative in his last few years.

Neither should we pick players who arent good enough like Anderson
And we certainly shouldn't run with scissors...

Am I missing something or was it just a random moment of frustration at a player and you felt the need to moan about him, despite it being off topic?

I think his point is that Anderson has been played fairly regularly -- when he's not injured -- for the past five years, despite being pretty poor on the whole. Yet Pogba, who was clearly an exceptional talent, wasn't given a chance.

I don't agree with that. Pogba wasn't applying himself in the reserves, so Fergie didn't reward him with a first team place. That makes perfect sense to me. Yes, in this case it cost us the player, but so be it.

And we certainly shouldn't run with scissors...

Am I missing something or was it just a random moment of frustration at a player and you felt the need to moan about him, despite it being off topic?

Its not off topic. Our midfield was shit and we didnt play him. He's now proven himself as one of the very best young midfielders in the world.

Five years from now he'll still be talking about that Blackburn game. He'll go on to have a successful career but he sounds just so bitter.

Or is it that he keeps being asked about United? I don't know. I'd be surprised if he were bitter; he's gone on to another top club and established himself in the first team. I doubt he cares where he is, as long as it's a top tier club, he's earning money, and he gets to play regularly.

Or is it that he keeps being asked about United? I don't know. I'd be surprised if he were bitter; he's gone on to another top club and established himself in the first team. I doubt he cares where he is, as long as it's a top tier club, he's earning money, and he gets to play regularly.

Quite, Id be stunned if he was the one bringing it up, far more likely he was responding to a specific question.

Its not off topic. Our midfield was shit and we didnt play him. He's now proven himself as one of the very best young midfielders in the world.
If I recall correctly, Anderson started that season playing very well. Meanwhile Pogba failed to do anything of note in his substitute appearances or for the reserves. Then Scholes came back and, shortly after, his and Carrick's form helped us turn the league around. We still gave Pogba chances off the bench though and he still didn't do much... until it became clear he was joining Juve, when we stopped picking him.

Yeah, he was in Januzaj's team. The same Januzaj who is currently playing with the first team because he's patient.

Januzaj is 18, Pogba was 18 at the time and had been with us for 2 years as has Januzaj.

Pogba's been and gone and it's not worth thinking about now but seriously lets not make Januzaj out to be some sort of patient amazing saint, he's been thrusted right into it because the manager has faith in his ability, not because he's been patient.

The timescales and ages are bang on mirrored with Pogba but Januzaj is playing ahead of established Premier League talents which is a testament to the faith shown in him by the manager.

That interview is probably BS, but if I was Pogba I'd have been absolutely gutted to see Park and Rafael in midfield ahead of me. He too was an exceptional talent who needed chances...he rarely got them. Good to see Moyes looking to bring through the talent already at the club.

If I recall correctly, Anderson started that season playing very well. Meanwhile Pogba failed to do anything of note in his substitute appearances or for the reserves. Then Scholes came back and, shortly after, his and Carrick's form helped us turn the league around. We still gave Pogba chances off the bench though and he still didn't do much... until it became clear he was joining Juve, when we stopped picking him.

Only a blind man wouldnt have been able to see that Anderson wasnt good enough and Pogba showed more in cameos than Anderson did in full games. Sir Alex wasnt picking Pogba because he had no experience. But it was the typical catch 22 where he cant get experience unless you give him a game and trust in youth. If Sir Alex believed Pogba can be as good as he has proven to be, he should have taken the chance on him.

Only a blind man wouldnt have been able to see that Anderson wasnt good enough and Pogba showed more in cameos than Anderson did in full games. Sir Alex wasnt picking Pogba because he had no experience. But it was the typical catch 22 where he cant get experience unless you give him a game and trust in youth. If Sir Alex believed Pogba can be as good as he has proven to be, he should have taken the chance on him.

And Pogba didn't suddenly start to apply himself any more in training during the closing stages of the season when Sir Alex continued to mention that he saw Pogba as a member of the first team squad. It was clearly in a last ditch attempt to make him sign, but the damage had already been done.

We elected to bring a 37 year old Scholes back from retirement rather than give Pogba et al a chance in midfield.
Bringing a 37 year old Scholes back turned round our league chances from a point where hope was extremely thin to one where we should've easily taken the title.

Bringing a 37 year old Scholes back turned round our league chances from a point where hope was extremely thin to one where we should've easily taken the title.

Left us without a title, Scholes re-retired, and Pogba gone. Hindsight is 20/20, but when it was announced that Scholes was on the team against City I said it was a bad idea at the time.

We elected to bring a 37 year old Scholes back from retirement rather than give Pogba et al a chance in midfield.

That turned out to be a brilliant move and reignited our march towards the title. I'm not sure how Pogba would have felt at that, but it wouldn't have been worse than Rafael and Park being picked ahead of him. In fact I remember one of Pogba's interviews saying that he quite looked up to Scholes.

That's not really true. We all knew he was a great prospect but his consistency was pretty poor at reserve level. Likewise Anderson was still in his same old process of injury - poor form on return - looking like a cracking player again - injury. I was more surprised Anderson didn't play in that game than I was Pogba didn't.

That turned out to be a brilliant move and reignited our march towards the title. I'm not sure how Pogba would have felt at that, but it wouldn't have been worse than Rafael and Park being picked ahead of him. In fact I remember one of Pogba's interviews saying that he quite looked up to Scholes.
In the short term it was brilliant...but let's say we finished 2nd having brought Pogba through, happy and tied down to a long contract...surely the long term would've been more beneficial.

It's all hindsight though, as I said before it's not really worth thinking about now...it's happened. There is an argument both ways regarding Pogba, but you only have to look at him as a player now to know in truth we missed out and he is benefitting from getting away from united.

In the short term it was brilliant...but let's say we finished 2nd having brought Pogba through, happy and tied down to a long contract...surely the long term would've been more beneficial.

It's all hindsight though, as I said before it's not really worth thinking about now...it's happened. There is an argument both ways regarding Pogba, but you only have to look at him as a player now to know in truth we missed out and he is benefitting from getting away from united.
I'm not at all convinced. If we hadn't challenged for the league that year then I doubt we'd have had the same fight in us the next season. Nor do I think the little boy inside that Dutch bloke would've been as likely to scream "Manchester United".

Left us without a title, Scholes re-retired, and Pogba gone. Hindsight is 20/20, but when it was announced that Scholes was on the team against City I said it was a bad idea at the time.

At a guess, I'd say Sir Alex wasn't going for a 'season of transition' that year, not if it meant that City won their first Premier League title without a fight.

If United had conceded the league and let City run away with it, just to allow an 18 year old who, while being extremely talented, has a poor attitude, didn't apply himself during games which he should have been dominating and looked timid every time he played in the first team, and was whiling his contract down with no indication of commitment to the club, in the hope that he would come good eventually- Sir Alex would have been slaughtered, and rightly so given that the league wasn't a lost cause- even with all the injuries looking back at it we took it to the last minute, and should have won it.

It's great for him that he's managed to come good for Juventus, now that they have managed to get his attitude under control, but clearly wasn't ready for United's first team that year based on what evidence we have and rewarding a player who is not working hard enough isn't the way we want to run the club. Who knows, maybe if Pogba had been given all those games Januzaj wouldn't be working as hard to get first team opportunities since it would only be a matter of time?

That's not really true. We all knew he was a great prospect but his consistency was pretty poor at reserve level. Likewise Anderson was still in his same old process of injury - poor form on return - looking like a cracking player again - injury. I was more surprised Anderson didn't play in that game than I was Pogba didn't.

Cracking player?

I'm not at all convinced. If we hadn't challenged for the league that year then I doubt we'd have had the same fight in us the next season. Nor do I think the little boy inside that Dutch bloke would've been as likely to scream "Manchester United".
Again that's just another scenario.

Who's to say Pogba wouldn't have settled into the team with the confidence from his manager and elevated the team as Januzaj seems to be doing now?

It's all hindsight and made up scenarios I suppose. That's football.

Januzaj is 18, Pogba was 18 at the time and had been with us for 2 years as has Januzaj.

Pogba's been and gone and it's not worth thinking about now but seriously lets not make Januzaj out to be some sort of patient amazing saint, he's been thrusted right into it because the manager has faith in his ability, not because he's been patient.

The timescales and ages are bang on mirrored with Pogba but Januzaj is playing ahead of established Premier League talents which is a testament to the faith shown in him by the manager.

That interview is probably BS, but if I was Pogba I'd have been absolutely gutted to see Park and Rafael in midfield ahead of me. He too was an exceptional talent who needed chances...he rarely got them. Good to see Moyes looking to bring through the talent already at the club.

Good post. I guess it's extremely frustrating for us seeing genuine talents such as Pogba and Morrison leave the club and become big successes elsewhere, as Pogba almost certainly will do. It's frustrating for every club but more so for us than a Madrid, Barca, Bayern, City etc who can just mop up the best players with excessive spending every year. It would be so exciting seeing Pogba, Morrison and Januzaj line up in our first eleven and yet we've let two of them go, one of them probably fairly but the other due to a very avoidable scenario. It's not as if these players have a wealth of attacking talent ahead of them either, it's the perfect time for a young player to make his mark on our team at the moment, as Januzaj did on Saturday.

People thinking he can't get over us :lol: He was nearly certainly asked a specific question regarding his departure from United and answered it. Leaving us was a fantastic decision in hindsight. Great player.

It'll be fascinating to see how this thread responds when he inevitably fecks Juve off for the big money at home or in Madrid.

Funnily enough, I was just watching highlights of Giggs' debut vs Everton and Fergie said "It was inevitable. I knew by his performaces in the youth team and reserve team he was putting himself in the team."

Giggs made his debut in an injury hit United, being rewarded for good performances in the reserve games after being in the senior team squad the week before.

Kiko Macheda got his chance because he scored a hattrick for the reserves. He earned his chance and the first team, when he was rather younger than Pogba.

That one for the hattrick was lovely. :drool: Can't remember who played the pass (either James or Eikrem) but it was a great ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.