Paul Pogba

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was little, perhaps nothing that Morrison could do that Pogba couldn't. Morrison was considerably more developed in the sense of wanting the ball, stamping authority on a game, etc though. It's what made him the better fit for our team - he was a few years ahead of his development in some respects.

That's just not true, Morrison was the better finisher, had superior dribbling ability, and was the more versatile player. Pogba may be the better player now but it's not really down to purely his ability as a footballer.

Morrison looked better anytime I saw the two play. The best thing about him was the amount of time he seemed to have on the ball compared to every other player on the field including Pogba. A bit like Iniesta in that regard

That's just not true, Morrison was the better finisher, had superior dribbling ability, and was the more versatile player. Pogba may be the better player now but it's not really down to purely his ability as a footballer.

I'm not saying Morrison wasn't more adept at some things; I mean that there was no particular attribute that Morrison had that Pogba didn't. Morrison was a better, more technical dribbler, yet Pogba could still burst past a few players if he wanted to. There was basically nothing that wasn't in his skillset. Like I say, at times I rated Morrison higher, but it was on the basis of his maturity and how he could run games. He was still a fantastically gifted player but that was what made him an absolute gem in my opinion. Even now I can't believe we had a player like that only for him to end up at West Ham. It's crazy.

Anyway, the point is better illustrated by saying that Pogba used to do things that I've never really seen any other youngster do for us. His ball striking technique was obscenely good obviously, but it's the extravagance of some of the things he used to pull off sometimes even in the same move as putting one in from range. I'll never forget him taking the ball down with his back to goal 25 yards for example with 2 players either side of him, only to drag it from one of them and then push it between him and the other, turn and absolutely crack one into the top corner. There was another moment when he took it past a couple of players with a Zidane-esque turn in the box and put one in the corner. He just had these moments that I've not seen any other youngster in our reserves/academy pull off, to be honest.

Still don't think he'd actually be that good for us, he always seems lazy on the pitch which Juventus make up for with Vidal and Marchisio (?). He has moments of utter brilliance but he's a luxury player really. May well develop to become more responsible though.

I agree with the luxury part but he wasn't really a lazy player though.

He is very similar to Carrick in that sense. Carrick never looks like he is putting in much of an effort but the amount of times he finds himself in exactly right position to close down an angle or intercept a pass is ridiculous. It was the same with Pogba but obviously not in defensive sense. He always found himself in the right spots to build the play or have a shot which does require a good amount of effort. I think a lot of people saw him differently because of his physical stature to than what he actually was, a real classy player who would struggle in a midfield without others doing the defensive work.

Pogba didnt have a great amount to his defensive game when he was here, but its come on leaps and bounds at Juve. He more than does his share

his french partner and sevilla player Kondogbia could be a better signing. Defensive attributes developed already and highly technical.

He could be an easier player to sign I'd say because having seen both of them playing during the world cup they won this summer, Pogba seemed so much better than him in almost every aspect.

Totally. Kondogbia is not quite there at Pogba's level yet... for now he is affordable. Maybe next summer is the last chance to buy him on the "cheap".

Up to Sevilla's performance in the europa league i guess

Kondogbia definitely isnt anywhere near as good, but he has a £17 million or so clause. If Pogba has another season like the last, Juventus will be asking for double that

Pogba didnt have a great amount to his defensive game when he was here, but its come on leaps and bounds at Juve. He more than does his share

No he doesn't :lol: occasionally barging someone off the ball is not defensive work. He just fills in for Pirlo when he isn't playing, the player who can make things happen without having to do that much work.

No he doesn't :lol: occasionally barging someone off the ball is not defensive work. He just fills in for Pirlo when he isn't playing, the player who can make things happen without having to do that much work.

Yes, actually he does. He won the ball last season more than any of the other Juve midfielders bar Vidal

Edit - Forgot Marchisio actually, he won the ball more than Pogba or Pirlo

Really? Everytime I've watched Juve he spends most of his time presumably scratching his balls somewhere off screen before popping up with a few moments of brilliance. I don't think he'd get anywhere near as many games here still, except maybe in Europe, since he seems like he would be utterly incapable of playing in a two man midfield

Really? Everytime I've watched Juve he spends most of his time presumably scratching his balls somewhere off screen before popping up with a few moments of brilliance. I don't think he'd get anywhere near as many games here still, except maybe in Europe, since he seems like he would be utterly incapable of playing in a two man midfield

He averaged 2.5 tackles and 1.3 interceptions a Serie A game last season. Plus cleared the ball 1.8 and won 2.3 balls in the air last season.

Thats more than Pirlo if you look beyond just the tackles and interceptions, as Pirlo made 2.6 tackles and 1.2 interceptions so they're equal to that point. Vidal won the ball by far the most. Marchisio next, then Pogba ahead of Pirlo if we include winning the ball in the air and clearances.

So its not really fair to suggest he's just been a luxury player for them when although he's by far the youngest, he's doing his bit defensively as much as a senior CM in the side. Its more than the likes of Anderson do for us

He is a luxury player though, it's pointless pulling out stats when it's pretty obvious watching games that he goes missing often and spends alot of time just waiting for the ball to come to him. I don't see how anyone can seriously watch him play and think he's a hard worker on the pitch. Unless I somehow managed to watch the only 5 or 6 games last season in which he was playing at a lower level which I find unlikely.

He is a luxury player though, it's pointless pulling out stats when it's pretty obvious watching games that he goes missing often and spends alot of time just waiting for the ball to come to him. I don't see how anyone can seriously watch him play and think he's a hard worker on the pitch. Unless I somehow managed to watch the only 5 or 6 games last season in which he was playing at a lower level which I find unlikely.

You make no sense, whatsoever

It's pretty obvious tbh, I have actually watched him play, I haven't gone any website to look up his tackling stats (why would any normal person with a life?) and from actually watching him play have seen he is pretty obviously a player who does not have great responsibility on the pitch. I'm sure he will develop over the next few years but its more an argument against those who think he would be getting 25+ games here or should have.

It's pretty obvious tbh, I have actually watched him play, I haven't gone any website to look up his tackling stats (why would any normal person with a life?) and from actually watching him play have seen he is pretty obviously a player who does not have great responsibility on the pitch. I'm sure he will develop over the next few years but its more an argument against those who think he would be getting 25+ games here or should have.

You can cry about the stats all you want, but they factually tell you that you're talking bullshit

You have watched him and it's good for you I suppose. We all have too.

It makes sense no ? He just went from being a reserve player (yes at Man Utd but still) to playing regularly for Juventus with some of the best midfielders in Europe. He's a kid, a CM a position that needs a lot of maturity and responsibility, what else more could he have done at Juventus according to you ?

Of course it makes sense? I said he will most likely improve, I stated a few posts back that I was referring to people having the idea he was ready to play for us now just as much as at Juve, I'm saying that isn't true as Juve have a midfield that can support someone like Pogba. We don't.

Clearer?

Of course it makes sense? I said he will most likely improve, I stated a few posts back that I was referring to people having the idea he was ready to play for us now just as much as at Juve, I'm saying that isn't true as Juve have a midfield that can support someone like Pogba. We don't.

Clearer?

If anything he could shine more at Utd having more responsibilities given to him. Juventus midfield doesn't support Pogba btw, he's an integral part of it. Pirlo is the one who is supported by all the others. He's currently easily better than Cleverley and Anderson for starters.
He's become a regular feature as a CM for the national team(the position where France possesses a lot of quality).

You can cry about the stats all you want, but they factually tell you that you're talking bullshit

They tell you feck all in the manner you posted, most of his starts were against lower teams in a league which is utterly lacking in depth. They also don't take into account the fact that it is much easier to win the ball when you have two of the best pressing midfielders in Europe surrounding you and causing the opposition to make mistakes. Not to mention the fact that his sheer size means he can win the ball off some players by simply using his strength. Simply being strong enough to push someone off the ball doesn't mean that his lack of positional awareness would be made up for when playing for us, we don't press particularly well and can't afford to have players who often go wandering starting regularly in our midfield, not because we are better than Juve but because we are worse.

Januzaj, Pearson, Pereira.

And none of them get taken to court for witness intimidation! Yaaaaay!

I heard Benjamin forgot to feed his pet turtle last Thursday and his kid sister knows. Watch this space.

xCZv8qC.gif

I know the video was posted above but this gif is mesmerizing. Stunning goal.

Fact he goes to celebrate before it's even gone in. I love those type of goals - especially when thy are that fecking good.

feck his cnut of an agent. Seriously.

He's developed excellently under Conte at Juventus, after being given regular games in one of the best midfields in Europe.

Maybe he would have done the same at United if he'd been given regular opportunities in the first team.

I'm sure he's going to relish the possibility of playing second fiddle to Cleverley, Anderson and Giggs again.

I doubt we would ever re-sign him but he would evidently be a first team player for United as Carrick's partner or as someone used in a three man midfield under Moyes. A lot has changed since he signed for Juve.

I think for the fee needed to buy him, he'd start more or less every game. As if we'd pay £20 million+ and sit him on the bench

Also going back to the "luxury" topic, Pogba made 4 tackles and 1 interception yesterday. Won the ball as much as Vidal or anyone else. 1 less tackle than Fellaini in his DM/deepest midfielder role.

He's obviously not going to keep up with them all season, but neither is he a luxury as he showed once again

Given his age, talent and potential it really is fair to say he is one of the best young CMs in the world and you would have to pay at least 20m do acquire someone like him. Given we are after someone who plays exactly in his position, and have been for a good 3 or 4 years, there is no question that we fecked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.