Paul Pogba

Status
Not open for further replies.
People keep forgetting that Pogba's form dropped so badly in the reserves, showed a bit of prospect when he came to the first team but really didn't do anything to convince that he was first team material, started to have a negative attitude and just gave up... All SAF wanted was to check on his attitude, mentality to see if he was United quality, gave him a chance to sign a better contract, improved money and just said to train harder the chances will come but Pogba's head was spun by his agent making him think he was ready to play regularly in one of the best teams on the planets MF ?

We knew he was going to be a player, but what he did in Juventus was due to come, only thing that we didn't expect was for him to shine so soon. But hey, let's move on, most fans are gutted, we don't even know the whole picture but from my point of view SAF did everything possible from his position while his agent also did his job in getting a fat pay check so lets move on.

Still, its not like we can't buy him back if Moyes sees him fit as a first team regular and United quality later, we'll just buy... Its not like he did anything bad, he just picked a choice which he deemed better for career and apparently its working out for him atm.

I think Pogba decided he wanted to leave the best part of a year before and didn't put the effort in. Not much SAF could have done really.

The only advantage of Pogba leaving is that we no longer have Mino Raiola around the club. That guy will never let his clients stay at a club for more than a few seasons. Who knows he might have taken a few more of our youngsters under his belt.

Most statements being made in this thread have no substance to them at all.

The player wanted to leave for a range of reasons.

We tried to keep him and offered him an improved contract which he refused.

I hope the kid does well but you can't hold on to someone who doesn't want to play for you....simple really.

Blaming Fergie, or anyone else at the club, is just looking for a convenient scapegoat.

It's easier to say that he'd be perfect now but who knew he'd develop like he did at Juventus ?
Everyone knew he would develop the way he has, its why this thread still has legs. It was obvious to anyone with half a brain he was special and would develop

Everyone knew he would develop the way he has, its why this thread still has legs. It was obvious to anyone with half a brain he was special and would develop

I ain't having that, he went from being a promising youngster to a French national team regular thanks to Juventus. There were a lot of jokes about his possible playing with Juventus having a better midfield than Utd. There were jokes regarding the quality of the Serie A. His development has been really fast and credit to him for that

I ain't having that, he went from being a promising youngster to a French national team regular thanks to Juventus. There were a lot of jokes about his possible playing with Juventus having a better midfield than Utd. There were jokes regarding the quality of the Serie A.
You dont have to have it but anyone with half a brain could see that he would have developed just as well if he had been given a run in our first team. You just have to watch him play to see it. He was more than just a promising player, he was/is an exceptional talent. We screwed that one up badly.

You dont have to have it but anyone with half a brain could see that he would have developed just as well if he had been given a run in our first team. You just have to watch him play to see it. He was more than just a promising player, he was/is an exceptional talent. We screwed that one up badly.

I agree with you and I'm pretty sure I confused you with my post Stack. When I said "It's easier to say that he'd be perfect now but who knew he'd develop like he did at Juventus ?" I was talking about Utd at all. I wasn't comparing what could have been his development at Utd with he's done at Juventus.
I think this is where we misunderstood each other.

Most statements being made in this thread have no substance to them at all.

The player wanted to leave for a range of reasons.

We tried to keep him and offered him an improved contract which he refused.

I hope the kid does well but you can't hold on to someone who doesn't want to play for you....simple really.

Blaming Fergie, or anyone else at the club, is just looking for a convenient scapegoat.

Rooney? :smirk:

Seriously though, I agree that looking for whom to blame in this incident is pointless conjecture. We can only hope this doesn't happen again.

The idea that we "knew" he was going to be this player is really silly. We've had players like Morrison, Possebon and others throughout the years be hyped to the moon and not take it to first team level. Similarly I've seen people here criticise Welbeck when it seems certain to me he'll be a star.

The idea that we "knew" he was going to be this player is really silly. We've had players like Morrison, Possebon and others throughout the years be hyped to the moon and not take it to first team level. Similarly I've seen people here criticise Welbeck when it seems certain to me he'll be a star.
Not silly at all. It was really clear to a lot of people how good he is going to become. He has all the right attributes and skills. Pogba was always ahead of Morrison and Possebon, no question.

The same people who didn't see it in Ronaldo that he's going to be world class, probably couldn't see it in Pogba. And we have quite a few posters that didn't. Some people on the other hand can watch a player a few times and see that with the right application there's no stopping him.

We want to be more like Barcelona when it comes to youngsters right?

Well, they are constantly getting praised for selling players on the cheap then buying them back a few years later once they're developed for a lot more money. (Fabregas, Pique, Jordi Alba).

Let's do it.

Still don't think he'd actually be that good for us, he always seems lazy on the pitch which Juventus make up for with Vidal and Marchisio (?). He has moments of utter brilliance but he's a luxury player really. May well develop to become more responsible though.

You'd expect so.. he is only 20 remember.

Still don't think he'd actually be that good for us, he always seems lazy on the pitch which Juventus make up for with Vidal and Marchisio (?). He has moments of utter brilliance but he's a luxury player really. May well develop to become more responsible though.

I don't think that he is lazy to be fair, he looks at times but rarely. What could be a big problem and has been hidden by his goals and other aspects of the games is his passing which was only 83%. In a midfield with the likes of Pirlo and Marchisio I don't think that it's good enough but likely he'll improve it in the near future.

Being young isn't an excuse for being lazy though.

A lot of special players who have flair and were always touted as having lots of potential have been pretty lazy in their younger days.

I'm not saying it's right, they don't work so hard and think they're undroppable - but it's definitely something that can change if dealt with correctly.

Moyes would have been perfect to try and change that side of his game, to let him know that he isn't completely undroppable and that he needs to work hard if he wants to stay in the team. He definitely has a sense of entitlement though, and feels like he is owed something, but sometimes those arrogant players are all the better for it.

Anyway, it's not gonna happen, and now he's left I wouldn't even want it to - we all know that he was a special talent and it would have been great for us to have kept him here though.

He left the club on a free. The same way he did to his last club. He won't care about the club and will likely cause problems for pay raises. There is a lot more to signing a player than on the pitch performances.

Then you have to consider whether the other players will WANT to play with him considering he left. Add that to the comments he made when he left, and I would not want him back.

He left the club on a free. The same way he did to his last club. He won't care about the club and will likely cause problems for pay raises. There is a lot more to signing a player than on the pitch performances.

Then you have to consider whether the other players will WANT to play with him considering he left. Add that to the comments he made when he left, and I would not want him back.

No offence but how can you sit there and use the fact he left his old club to come to United, as some kind of proof he's all bad because he left united. I gotta laugh when people say that because it's really not that smart. He left for a better club. It happens.....his agent turned him into an asshole and he went with it. That's basically it. He should be a United player but he's not.

No offence but how can you sit there and use the fact he left his old club to come to United, as some kind of proof he's all bad because he left united. I gotta laugh when people say that because it's really not that smart. He left for a better club. It happens.....his agent turned him into an asshole and he went with it. That's basically it. He should be a United player but he's not.

Because of the manner in which he left his old club? Very similar to the way he left United. No compensation for them, and we got reported to FIFA. That is a sign of character. Also, him leaving United isn't a sign of bad character. It was the comments he made after. For footballing reasons, he clearly made the right choice.

Also, not once did I say he was "All bad because he left United". I said I wouldn't want him back. I don't know if he's bad/good and nor do I care.

I'll assume around 30m if they are interested on selling him (which I don't think they are).

Exactly. They have no intention of selling so I think, to temp them into selling the best young midfielder in the world in his age group, we'd probably have to go £5 million or something on top of that. The reality is he was very keen to go to Juventus, and even though it may not have looked too likely at the time, Juventus have given him everything he wanted with regards to playing time. I think he's very happy staying there for the foreseeable future unless Madrid or Barcelona come in for him and Madrid especially, I'd fully expect them to do so in the near future. Illaramendi and Pogba as their next midfield pairing, who wouldnt take that?

You mean like Rooney?

Hope this isnt already posted in this thread but shit the swerve on this ball...

He must have one of the best shooting techniques I've ever seen. It's crazy the confidence he hits that with given how much work the ball is doing...he's running off almost as soon as he's hit it!

Not silly at all. It was really clear to a lot of people how good he is going to become. He has all the right attributes and skills. Pogba was always ahead of Morrison and Possebon, no question.

There was basically nothing in it with him and Morrison - kept changing my mind about who was better to be honest because it was so close. Morrison was better suited to us though and I thought he was the more likely to make it on footballing attributes alone.

There was little, perhaps nothing that Morrison could do that Pogba couldn't. Morrison was considerably more developed in the sense of wanting the ball, stamping authority on a game, etc though. It's what made him the better fit for our team - he was a few years ahead of his development in some respects.

Status
Not open for further replies.