Paul Pogba

Status
Not open for further replies.
QF, David Johnson only knows what people tell him and it's not like Pogba would want to sound like a prick to his Man Utd supporting mate. Take that information with a pinch of salt.

Whether we played it right or not is very debatable. Losing a potentially world class talent for free is gutting, but bowing down to an unproven 18/19 year old who wasn't working hard enough to deserve a high paid contract is risking undermining our disciplinary efforts for all our future potential world class youngsters.

Depends how he did in pre-season and in training. If he looked good enough in pre-season he would be given a chance to be in squad rotation.

All it takes is a good attitude and showing something in your game and Sir Alex has shown he is willing to take a chance. Look at Rafael, he probably wasn't ready at 18 to get games for United but he works hard, loves the game and has natural talent so he played.

Do you think he'd even have played much this year? fergie would have held him back again

I was going to say that as well. If he didn't leave last summer surely he'd be leaving this summer. It's all speculation obviously but if you look at the limited game time Cleverley and Anderson have been given along with Powell you have to think his game time this season wouldn't have been much better than last.

Depends how he did in pre-season and in training. If he looked good enough in pre-season he would be given a chance to be in squad rotation.

All it takes is a good attitude and showing something in your game and Sir Alex has shown he is willing to take a chance. Look at Rafael, he probably wasn't ready at 18 to get games for United but he works hard, loves the game and has natural talent so he played.

I'm not sure you're right there. Fergie seems ok with testing players in the wider positions because mistakes don't get punished as much. (See pretty much every midfielder he's ever brought through starting out wide)

I get the feeling fergie doesnt breed confidence into the CMs which is why most out ours have tended to play within themselves doing the simple things right rather than ever doing anything particularly exception (ignore scholes).

Do you think he'd even have played much this year? fergie would have held him back again

What are you on about? Held him back? You're implying Fergie won't give talented young footballers the opportunities their performances deserve? How long have you been following the club anyway?

Pogba only has himself to blame for not getting more games last season. Didn't play well enough for the reserves.

If you think full back mistakes don't get punished you are a nutter.

If Pogba was putting in performances that showed he was good enough, he would have played. He was clearly talented, but his application last year was piss poor.

If you think full back mistakes don't get punished you are a nutter.

If Pogba was putting in performances that showed he was good enough, he would have played. He was clearly talented, but his application last year was piss poor.

The wider positions on a football pitch are not even half as accountable as central positions, trust me I've played for 15 odd years and played all over the pitch. If you make a mistake outwide you have the core who can bail you out, make a mistake on the inside and the outside will struggle to do anything about it. Rafael pretty much only got games because we had experience in Rio Vidic and Evra to help him.

Rafael's mistakes have cost us a ton of goals over the years! It's part of United's culture to allow young players to make errors and let them learn from them. Sir Alex knows that more than anyone.

Pogba would have Carrick helping him, as well as the centrebacks, wingers and fullbacks.

The reason Pogba didn't play is because his application and attitude were poor, that isn't Sir Alex's fault.

Hard to be wrong about something that can't be proved either way.

Twitter. Enough said.

He is actually friends with quite a few footballers. Like I said, he only passes on information he receives, his information will contain the biases of whoever told him. Pogba is unlikely to tell him that he has a contract in place with Juve and is fecking off United.

I think the problem is that squad rotation makes you feel heavily held back especially when you are an eager teenager especially when Carrick had one out of two locked down permanently. Even if Pogba stayed he would have shared game-time for one position with Anderson/Cleverley/Scholes/Giggs/Rooney/Jones.

At the end of the day we're the only club running this rotation policy which means Mourinho/Guardiola/etc etc thinks that Fergies way is not the best way. So we have to accept that running this rotation policy will split opinions and we will lose a couple of players who we didn't want to let go. Of course Fergie already predicted this when he started the rotation policy.

How long will Welbeck be satisfied like this? How long will Hernandez be satisfied like this? Nani, Buttner? Will all these people be "money-chasing lunatics" like Pogba for leaving? Not saying these particular players will, just that the Pogba hate is out of proportion.

Wow.

- Inserts bookmark for stupidest post of the year.

Great post. Why not actually counter the point instead of being ridiculous?

If Sir Alex is so averse to playing young footballers in positions where mistakes lead to goals, why did he sign de Gea? because he played him to let him learn, and had a player in backup to rotate him when it was time to take him out.

If Pogba applied himself well, he would play.

I think the problem is that squad rotation makes you feel heavily held back especially when you are an eager teenager especially when Carrick had one out of two locked down permanently. Even if Pogba stayed he would have shared game-time for one position with Anderson/Cleverley/Scholes/Giggs/Rooney/Jones.

At the end of the day we're the only club running this rotation policy which means Mourinho/Guardiola/etc etc thinks that Fergies way is not the best way. So we have to accept that running this rotation policy will split opinions and we will lose a couple of players who we didn't want to let go. Of course Fergie already predicted this when he started the rotation policy.

How long will Welbeck be satisfied like this? How long will Hernandez be satisfied like this? Nani, Buttner? Will all these people be "money-chasing lunatics" like Pogba for leaving? Not saying these particular players will, just that the Pogba hate is out of proportion.

I also understood Pogba's decision. He must have spoken to Conte and knew that he would be getting chances for Juventus this season. All he knew at United at the time is that he was given two 20-minute cameos in games we had already won by the time he came on. It's difficult to compare those two situations though because he's one year older and more mature obviously, he wouldn't have played at the same level last season but there was a period of time between November and January when we barely had any midfielders fit so I think it was wrong from Fergie to deny him a chance then. I don't buy into 'he was poor in reserves' thing to be fair, from what I've heard he was one of the best players there the season before.

I also understood Pogba's decision. He must have spoken to Conte and knew that he would be getting chances for Juventus this season. All he knew at United at the time is that he was given two 20-minute cameos in games we had already won by the time he came on. It's difficult to compare those two situations though because he's one year older and more mature obviously, he wouldn't have played at the same level last season but there was a period of time between November and January when we barely had any midfielders fit so I think it was wrong from Fergie to deny him a chance then. I don't buy into 'he was poor in reserves' thing to be fair, from what I've heard he was one of the best players there the season before.

He wasn't poor but he certainly wasn't playing well enough to get games with the first team. At that level, the likes of Rossi looked far too good. Pogba looked really talented but often failed to impose himself and let the game pass him by. With all our injuries he had a great chance to make a case for himself but didn't. Also set him back that he was piss poor in his CC debut. So bad he was taken out of midfield and stuck in our back four, about 10 minutes after coming on.

Obviously, Juve could promise him all sorts. He obviously upped his game too, so they were able to give him games. All ifs buts and maybes but I reckon he stopped trying for our reserves once his agent convinced him he'd get more money/games abroad.

He is actually friends with quite a few footballers. Like I said, he only passes on information he receives, his information will contain the biases of whoever told him. Pogba is unlikely to tell him that he has a contract in place with Juve and is fecking off United.

Yeah fair enough.

My point is that his comments re: Pogba can't be proved or disproved.

I don't trust any twitter ITK. They all have their own agendas and seek publicity or credibility. There are various ways to appear more credible than they actually are.

He wasn't poor but he certainly wasn't playing well enough to get games with the first team. At that level, the likes of Rossi looked far too good. Pogba looked really talented but often failed to impose himself and let the game pass him by. With all our injuries he had a great chance to make a case for himself but didn't. Also set him back that he was piss poor in his CC debut. So bad he was taken out of midfield and stuck in our back four, about 10 minutes after coming on.

Obviously, Juve could promise him all sorts. He obviously upped his game too, so they were able to give him games. All ifs buts and maybes but I reckon he stopped trying for our reserves once his agent convinced him he'd get more money/games abroad.

I think all was done around November/December last season, it's when the rumours about Juve wanting him first surfaced and Raiola must have already been in talks with them at that point.

I don't think it was about money to be fair, at the end of the day it was a £20k a week contract that Juventus offered him which is peanuts to a club like United and besides, even if we were reluctant to go above £12k mark he'd have stayed if he really wanted anyway as with his level of talent he'll go on to earn £80k - £100k a week in a few years anyway unless an injury or some other unexpected occurence holds back his career. We cannot exclude the possibility that he simply wanted to play for Juventus more than United, they are a big club too.

I wish we had kept him. I wish we had kept Rossi and Pique too, to be fair. Our scouts are doing a tremendous job discovering all these talented players.

@Drainy, My phone fecked that post up.....it was directed at the above not yours.

Its ridiculous, people are nearly re-writting history in terms of his performances in our reserves. Now obviously hes a top class talent and is far more capable then he showed in his last season with us. To be honest It wasnt even that he was that bad, what gets me is that rather than treating his situation as a challenge as Id expect from any young player he just floated his way through matches, his mind was made up v early and ultimately fecked off. Surely people can see the second we bend over backwards to accomadare any player based on ability and not character its the second we sell our soul?

Whatever the arguments about Rafael in midfield ahead of him, a managers decision should be treated with a good attitude and respect, he displayed neither.

Can't fault the boy. I'd do the same if ever in his boot, even though I'm a United supporter. And I think, relatively lower leagues (like Serie A, French and Dutch Leagues) are a perfect place for young players to learn their tread.

seeing rumours him and Ibra will be swapping places.

I was watching that game upto the United game, and his short passing was a bit off.

Produces some real moments of quality though and is still petulant many a times.

He sounds like a bit of a stupid cnut really.

I still have a feeling we'll eventually end up considering ourselves well rid of Pogba.

I think some might actively try and think like that, as it's hard to see a player that was ours doing so well elsewhere. It's a bitter pill to swallow, so it's normal to actively look for reasons that make it easier to stomach. But to be honest, I think he'll be one we'll regret losing. But it happens to all clubs. There will always be players sold that shouldn't have been or players we turn down the chance to sign that we shouldn't have. It's just the way it goes.

If we keep bending over backwards to accommodate and keep cnutish players, we will soon end up like City tbf.

I think some might actively try and think like that, as it's hard to say a player that was our doing so well elsewhere. It's a bitter pill to swallow, so it's normal to actively look for reasons that make it easier to stomach. But to be honest, I think he'll be one we'll regret losing. But it happens to all clubs. There will always be players sold that shouldn't have been or players we turn down the chance to sign that we shouldn't have. It's just the way it goes.

I agree somewhat. Likewise there are some that will actively try and think the opposite, that we've made a mistake regardless of how well he actually plays or the details regarding his exit. He's not doing well enough to make a firm decision on whether or not we're better off with him yet. He is undoubtedly talented but will he improve further, does he have the temperament and professionalism to be a key player for a top side?

acted like a dick throughout his time at united, dropped for missing training at juventus and now sent off for spitting. why oh why didnt we keep him?

It's fair to say he wouldn't have played for United as much as he have for Juventus, his departure worked out the best for everyone.We got rid of a cancer and he went on to get football and win a trophy

Played well today. Seems a bit mental though, it is his second red this season (he got one in his debut game for France). Anyway, a great season for him, better than anyone has expected. I can see him moving in the next two years though, as soon as things will start getting a bit worse for him at Juve and he will have a good offer he will leave IMO.

acted like a dick throughout his time at united, dropped for missing training at juventus and now sent off for spitting. why oh why didnt we keep him?

He' career seems to be on track does it not?

This should upset a few people although it sounds like pure speculation:

Wenger has pursued Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba twice unsuccessfully, but it seems he may be gearing up for a third attempt at acquiring the 20-year-old standout.

According to Dave Kidd of the Daily Mirror, Arsenal understand Pogba may be unhappy at Juventus:

The Arsenal boss has twice tried to sign the France *midfielder in the past, and is ready to test the resolve of Italian champions Juventus with a serious bid.

Pogba left Manchester United on a free last summer after refusing a new deal at Old Trafford and has *enjoyed a *breakthrough season at club and *international level.

But despite the 20-year-old’s fine form, the Gunners have been alerted to the fact that he is *unsettled in Turin *after being the *subject of racial abuse in a derby match against Torino last month.

The midfielder is likely to be a hot target on the transfer market this summer, and for good reason.

Pogba is as versatile a midfielder as a club is likely to find in a 20-year-old midfielder, especially one who is as physically imposing as he is solid at striking the ball. He has experience as both an attacking and defensive midfielder, and at such a young age, Arsenal (or whichever club manages to acquire him) will have plenty of options for developing him into their kind of midfielder.

But as is always the case when Wenger is pulling the strings, money will likely be an issue in bringing Pogba aboard. According to Kidd, Juventus may demand as much as £15 million if they are to let him go this summer.

If Wenger is truly willing to spend on the transfer market, Pogba would be a good option to signal the start of the spending spree.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-on-pursuit-of-stevan-jovetic-and-paul-pogba?

Would be a brilliant signing for Arsenal, or any team really.

Status
Not open for further replies.