Paul Pogba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it's worked out well for him but who's to say he wouldn't of been more involved this season? Cleverley had barely kicked a ball for the first team before the start of last season and he yet he was clearly in the managers plans for that season, same could of been the case for Pogba this season. We'll never know...

From his point of view, he was ready last season as well but wasnt trusted at all. So he probably felt that he wont get a chance this season either. Cleverley had a loan move to a PL club before being given a chance here and I read somewhere that we wanted to do the same for him while he probably felt that he was ready then.

Consider the importance of Juve to a young french boy and a higher wage(with guarantees of playing time) it is a very easy decision on his part.

From his point of view, he was ready last season as well but wasnt trusted at all. So he probably felt that he wont get a chance this season either. Cleverley had a loan move to a PL club before being given a chance here and I read somewhere that we wanted to do the same for him while he probably felt that he was ready then.

Consider the importance of Juve to a young french boy and a higher wage(with guarantees of playing time) it is a very easy decision on his part.

Well he wont get far with the attitude that he knows more than his manager how long before someone pisses him off at Juve and he speaks out about them as well?

Well he wont get far with the attitude that he knows more than his manager how long before someone pisses him off at Juve and he speaks out about them as well?

I dont think arrogance is a bad trait in top footballers though as you need to be confident in your own ability. Plus I dont remember him saying anything bad while he was with us. After he left, he is free to say whatever he wants to and his complains were legitimate as well with SAF stating that the reason he is not buying players was due to him wanting to give pogba,etc a chance.

To post a previously posted post again -

People also need to remember he has only made 18 appearances for Juve so far with 9 starts and that too in smaller games.

It's not like he's first choice there either. Willing to bet that he would have gotten 6/7 starts here with about equal if not more substitute appearances, if not more. Hardly a deal breaking difference.

Edit - Even Powell made 6 appearances with 2 starts for us till November before getting injured and as i said he is a year behind at least in his development.

On redflagflyinghigh...

http://redflagflyinghigh.com/2013/0...manchester-city-stranger-things-have-happened

Pogba To Manchester City? Stranger Things Have Happened

Posted on Friday, 8th February 2013 by Jay

pogba1-300x179.jpg

Pogba thanks the fans for supporting him during his illustrious United career.

Paul Pogba moving to Manchester City seems pretty far-fetched considering the youngster only just signed for the Old Lady last Summer. The world of football is so rife with transfer speculation that it’s now become almost a game itself, anyone can play it’s really simple. Just choose a random player from anywhere in the world, say Wayne Rooney, then add a club erm, Barcelona, then a fee oh I dunno say £30 million. Then tweet it, or post it somewhere and eventually the rumour will gather enough pace to be labelled ‘possible.’ Also if the rumour is so ridiculous it cannot be true then simply throw in the word ‘eventually’ and you’re golden.

One such rumour that’s reared its less than attractive little head on the interweb of late is the idea that former Manchester United legend Paul Pogba could be earmarked as a long-term target of Manchester City.

The rumour gained a bit of weight due to the alleged closeness of Patrick Vieira and the Juventus midfielder and the fact that Vieira has been spotted at France under 20 games featuring Pogba. Now obviously Vieira as a Frenchman and also a Manchester City ‘Development Executive’ – such a grand title that I may just award myself next time I’m on the toilet- will be attending games featuring young French players.

The reason Pogba speculation is rife is not only because Vieira is friendly with him but also the young midfielder is without doubt a supremely gifted player who stands out from his peers.

Pogba admitted last year that Vieira advised him to leave United and sign for City- something that left a sour taste in the mouth for many Reds. The question is could City billions tempt the youngster to leave Juventus? This Summer may be a move too soon, but is anyone really doubtful that Vieira’s ‘advice’ could have far-reaching repercussions.

Is this nonsense or have City got their eye on a long-term replacement for Yaya Toure?

##

Seeing Pogba go to City would really piss me off. Who knows what really happened last season but I have to believe, short of questions of character in Fergie's mind, that Fergie would have given Pogba some serious match time this season. But maybe not, maybe Pogba saw that he'd never been a fair chance to prove himself and maybe he's perfectly correct in his assessment. A shame.

LEGEND, did that article really call him a former Manchester United LEGEND, :lol:

Ofcourse he's entitled to say anything he wants but that doesn't mean he should be saying those things. He comes across as really cocky although it has worked well for him.

That Pogba to City article is brilliant, they don't have one decent information or source.

LEGEND, did that article really call him a former Manchester United LEGEND, :lol:
They must have a different definition of legend than the rest of us. You would think a legend would have actually play a few more first team games :lol:

That Pogba to City article is brilliant, they don't have one decent information or source.

It's hilarious.

During the first few lines he states that pretty much most of the twitter stuff is just made up shit but that doesn't stop him from making a story out of it.

And than what was all this hillarious bullshit of 'his illustrious Manchester United career' and being a former 'United Legend'.

Actually now that I think about it this article has to be a complete piss take, there is no way someone can honestly mean all that shit.

Great stuff.

Pretty blunt stuff from Pogba: "I didn’t want to sign a contract as Ferguson didn’t play me, even though there were no midfielders there."
More Pogba: "When I saw Scholes come back part of me was really happy as he’s a legend, but I knew it was the end for me"

That's fair enough in my opinion he was good enough to be given more first team opportunities but they never came. He was clearly to good to be playing reserve team football every week, if we weren't going to play him in the first team then we should have got him a loan move somewhere. I don't blame him for leaving and I think he will go on to be a top player, shame he didn't stay but I think in this instance we only have ourselves to blame.

Yep he's made his choice good luck to him we'll move on. Think he'll regret it more than us.

Should he of got more games? Possibly. Should he of been more patient? Absolutely without a doubt. He's not even 20 yet FFS.

Not saying he's messi, but just imagine if we'd have taken that Outlook with Giggs and Ronaldo? What if Barcelona took that outlook with Messi? Our reserves are on tv - shown world wide.

We use cup games to give them games, but we need a back up plan. If you get knocked out early, you have to loan kids out or trust them - if they show this level of ability. We didn't want to loan out Pogba. They will rot in the reserves. Pogba was too good for that level and that fat cnut saw him and saw the pound signs. To the poster below - the reserves don't INSPIRE everyone or do you think the Italian leagues below the reserves?

People try to analyse this and analyse that - these players need 10 -30 - 50 -100 odd games to bed into the proper team to establish themselves and when a Club like Juventus come calling - the appeal is there. Anyone that watched him, knows he won't regret it.

I think Sir Alex probably wanted rid because of the agent. Even what he's saying now at Juventus. He's pure scum and shouldn't have a place in football.

His problem was that he thought the same as Castia, and it. showed in his level of effort.

When a player strolls around a reserve match thinking 'feck this I'm too good for this shit' rather than 'I'm gonna show him I should be in the first team' then he's not going to make it at United.

Yet people will still blame SAF.

Based on what?

Because you are not basing it on his actual performances in the reserves in that season, where he wasnt even the best midfielder, let alone best player.

Based on his previous years performance and his last 6 months at Juventus? are you arguing that the reserve team football is his level? we were short in midfield last season he should have got more game time, in my opinion he was more than ready for some first team football.
I just think we could have give him more game time and if we did he'd still be a United player. In the long run it will be our loss and Juventus gain because he will go on to be a top player.

His problem was that he thought the same as Castia, and it. showed in his level of effort.

When a player strolls around a reserve match thinking 'feck this I'm too good for this shit' rather than 'I'm gonna show him I should be in the first team' then he's not going to make it at United.

Yet people will still blame SAF.

Yep, Pogba really did not have an attitude that SAF would be happy with. Players that work hard are always going to be rewarded more than someone like Pogba last season. Then we the transfer speculation and his agent Pogba was never going to play here.

I did wonder what went on with the lad, whether he and SAF didn't see eye to eye, or SAF didn't feel he was good enough, I didn't know. But it is now clear to see that the lad was good enough, so I can only think that he and SAF didn't see eye to eye.

I also can understand why P Pogba got a little cheesed off too tbh, I mean Utd are renowned for bringing you talented kids through and giving them a chance. So when you think back to the season P Scholes did come back to help out or midfield, and also on top of that was the season SAF opted to play Fabio Da Silva, Rafael, O'Shea, Gibson as a midfield four against Arsenal, you do kind of get why the lad didn't feel wanted.

Oh well, good luck to the lad. You win some and you loose some. We are United and I think we’ll cope well enough without P Pogba in our midfield.

I did wonder what went on with the lad, whether he and SAF didn't see eye to eye, or SAF didn't feel he was good enough, I didn't know. But it is now clear to see that the lad was good enough, so I can only think that he and SAF didn't see eye to eye.

I also can understand why P Pogba got a little cheesed off too tbh, I mean Utd are renowned for bringing you talented kids through and giving them a chance. So when you think back to the season P Scholes did come back to help out or midfield, and also on top of that was the season SAF opted to play Fabio Da Silva, Rafael, O'Shea, Gibson as a midfield four against Arsenal, you do kind of get why the lad didn't feel wanted.

Oh well, good luck to the lad. You win some and you loose some. We are United and I think we’ll cope well enough without P Pogba in our midfield.

:nono:

Is that wrong? I couldn't remember so I checked the BBC webite mate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/9421189.stm

In fairness, Pogba had just gone 18 at the time, so could hardly have expected to play his first first team game in an important cup game against Arsenal. The Blackburn game last season was a game he would've expected to start in, and rightly so imo. He had a few cameo appearances before that if I remember correctly where his talent was quite obvious, but Rafael and Park started ahead of him, as we all know at this stage.

Anyway, its disappointing to have lost such a blatantly good player, but we'll survive.

It's very frustrating that we had the answer to our midfield problems at our club and somehow managed to lose him. feck.

From @DoronSalomon on Twitter -
Pretty blunt stuff from Pogba: "I didn’t want to sign a contract as Ferguson didn’t play me, even though there were no midfielders there."
More Pogba: "When I saw Scholes come back part of me was really happy as he’s a legend, but I knew it was the end for me"

From this article apparently, http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/europe/article3683022.ece

Makes me so mad we let him go, could turn out to be one of Fergies biggest mistakes

From the Times: even Utd insiders have described their initial offer as he entered the last yr of his contract "derisory"

I don't think it will be a mistake, look at his agent, he'd have left eventually I'm sure. Everything is easy in hindsight but with the effort the likes of Cole, Lingard and Petrucci were putting in last year compared to him it just wouldn't have been fair to give him a free pass into the First Team. Scholes isn't going to be around forever and as he alluded to we aren't rich in midfield talent, if he wanted to stay here and fight for his place and become a United legend then make no mistake he'd have stayed. I'd take a Fletcher or Cleverley over a Pogba every time. Ridiculously talented as Pogba is he just doesn't strike as one who's down for the 'cause' and quite frankly good riddance.

I want players who love United, look at Rafael, we bought him in at young age and the lad gets it. There is more to playing for United than just talent, people might say sometimes you have to make concessions to such talent but they have to earn that trust first. It is well documented how dedicated Ronaldo and Cantona were, Pogba strutted around last year and didn't look arsed.

we didn't drop anything. he engineered a move away.

He's special, we dropped the ball on this one. Oh, well. Onwards!

Can we stop crying about this now? And there is no need to update this thread everytime he scores a goal over the next 10 years. There are so many players who didnt join or left United - but look where we are now. We somehow manage to survive

Let's talk about what really happened...

1. He had an outstanding 2010/11 season helping us win the FA Youth Cup and was a major 'potential' talent alongside Ravel Morrison

2. His form in the reserves during 2011/12 was very average

3. Fergie gave him a run out in all three League Cup games and he did ok without doing anything brilliant

4. The game against Blackburn saw us suffer terrible injury problems and Fergie played an experienced international midfielder in Ji Sung Park and took a gamble on Rafael as Carrick played centre half...when it didn't pay off he brought on more experience in Anderson at half-time. Pogba had three sub appearances behind him and was putting in average performances in the reserves. There was no logical reason Fergie would have started him and if anyone should have been pissed off that Rafael was starting it was Anderson.

5. Ferguson offered Pogba a new contract but the agent wanted a 'guarantee' of first team football. Ferguson doesn't guarantee any player a first team place so why would he do so with an inexperienced 18 year old?

6. Fergie gave Pogba more first team experience in the league and in Europe but he still decided not to sign a contract even though Fergie assured him he would get more chances this term regardless of his poor showing for the reserves during 2011/12

7. At the end of the season the agent spoke to numerous clubs and the player and his agent decided a move to Juventus would be better.

8. Fergie once again spoke to the player who refused to budge.

9. The player moved to Italy.

So, that's basically it.

I spoke to another agent who looks after youth players and in their opinion Pogba was 'badly advised' and the United offer was 'in line with other players of the same age, experience and potential'.

So either he or his agent was asking for 'guarantees' that were not forthcoming - understandably - and Fergie was reluctant to give someone a start in an important league game whose form didn't merit it.

When Tom Cleverley was asked about Scholes return...he said he was 'delighted because he had the opportunity of learning from him'...

Pogba left because he/his agent were impatient and wanted to dictate terms to the club.

Other more famous players have tried that in the past and got nowhere.

Pogba just didn't want to play for us so the club let him go.

All this talk of 'the one who got away' or 'we dropped a clanger' is basically bollocks.

Finally, we have the best record in the football league of bringing kids through and giving youngsters a chance. We don't need to look in the mirror at all when it comes to youth development.

Status
Not open for further replies.