Paul Pogba

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be blunt Pogba hardly backed up his First Team claims with his performances in the reserves this year, he might have been more natural than Park and Rafael but it wouldn't have made a difference. Quite surprised how little he seems to trust SAF, that's up to him anyway. Someone definitely dropped the ball behind the scenes though, all that talk about an option then all of a sudden Pogba's being involved at every possible turn, if a company that I had no emotional attachment to (well not on the scale of supporting them) treated me like that I'd be pissed.

:lol:

Worst.
Scout.

Eeeeeeever.

For thinking Pogba, Petrucci and Morrison had a chance to make the first team? They were all very highly rated. I'm leaving someone else out, IIRC there were even a few other midfield prospects from a few years back that gave us hope we might get a first team midfielder from our academy.

I'm sure i wasn't even close to the only one who had high hopes for them. But I'm sure you were too wise and experienced to believe in any of those players.

You were aware of Pogba and Morrison in 2008/09?

Should I have said 2-3 years ago instead of 3-4? I try to keep up with the reserves, I was following the Pogba acquisition as it developed. Whenever Morrison started making noise I would have read the articles, thanks to News Now, the world's best news site, and the Caf.

I'm thinking there were one or two other midfielders besides Pogba, Morrison, Petrucci and Cleverley that were earning praise back then, but I can't think of them, and I don't know where a good database on United reserve players from past years can be found.

A lot of things have changed since Fergie's Fledglings, it seems that even top players who make the first XI like Welbeck and Evans needed loans to get the experience needed to join the first team.

When Cleverley went on loan many said was a sign of failure, many articles and Caf members argued that Beckham was the only United player in recent history to go on loan and have success with the first team, or something to that effect.

Especially with our extremely deep squad, something we didn't have just a few years ago, veterans make up the fringe players instead of youth players, like was historically the case.

when you look at a kid, you can't size up everything. There's lots we will never know - but United will always produce players. We're not a small club..So we have to wait and see. It's not acceptable losing young, talented players...United and Barcelona have benefited from bringing youth through - but players need to be mentally strong to make it here and if they don't have the balls, then it's not the club for them. There's no point writing the lad off, he's quality but for unknown reasons, he's made a very brave and probably very stupid decision to leave. We still have quality coming through.

For thinking Pogba, Petrucci and Morrison had a chance to make the first team? They were all very highly rated. I'm leaving someone else out, IIRC there were even a few other midfield prospects from a few years back that gave us hope we might get a first team midfielder from our academy.

I'm sure i wasn't even close to the only one who had high hopes for them. But I'm sure you were too wise and experienced to believe in any of those players.

Oh chill, I'm only messing.

I don't judge whether any youth player will make it here until they actually do make it here, I don't see any point in it.

Although I do recall being slated for laughing at people who claimed Morrison was potentially as good/better than Wilshire.

To be fair, he's got great potential upside. I'm not surprised Sir Alex, and a lot of fans are not happy with him leaving.

But they don't care if he leaves Sults. He can do what he wants. They're better off without him anyway. You should see their new midfield prospect, he's much better in be...midfield.

Not sure why people go around demanding threads to be closed.

Just ignore the thing. It's not that hard, is it?

As for Pogba, I'll just post what I said earlier in the thread:

Many on here are willing to throw insults his way for doing something most of us would do if we were in his position- seek the best possible deal for ourselves. Remember, Pogba doesn't have the same ties to this club or the area that the Keane brothers, Tunnicliffe, Larnell Cole or Danny Welbeck have, so he may not see United as the be-all and end-all of world football.

So he's not greedy, disrespectful or an ungrateful cnut (as many here have said he is), he's a young kid who's apparently been offered a far better wage by another famous football club. It's as simple as that.

Ferguson should remember that we've been no angels (far from it) as regards taking players from other clubs. So it works both ways.

If you want to reduce the levels of mercenaries in football then maybe we should stop encouraging it?

It is a bit pointless pointing fingers and lashing out...I don't really get why people care that much about someone else making a decision regarding their own career.

That said, unless an unprecedented amount of missinformation has been spouted, the club hardly did themselves any favours if they wanted to keep him. Letting his contract run down, not playing him ahead of people who are much worse than him at playing in midfield, despite him quite obviously being extremely talented (I mean, seriously)...and then not matching offers from elsewhere.

I've heard and read similar things to what CLK has said from numerous people and sources, and bugger all to counter any of it. If I was Pogba in that scenario, I would feel like the club were almost trying to get rid of me, and I would almost certainly have fecked off...and I'm a United fan.

I think it's an extraordinary amount of ignorance from the club, and if they want to nick talented young players from other countries and keep them, they should really be looking at that quite seriously and urgently, rather than whinging about Pogba being disrespectful...where has he been disrespectful exactly? Because he's made a decision based on what he wants out of his career, and United don't like it? I'm sure there are parts he could have handled better, but he's a kid...an arrogant kid who knows he's extremely good at football and doesn't need United to make a name for himself. Good luck to United finding someone as talented and young as him who doesn't have a similar mindset.

When you look at our current squad and the current climate in which we have to compete to stengthen it, Pogba should have been top of the priority list or certainly very close, and there's very little to even suggest he was on the priority list. I do find some of what we've been doing for the past couple of years extremely baffling. I can't quite tell if our head is in the sand or slightly up our own arse.

That whole post almost completely contradicts your first paragraph. If you don't care about a decision someone else made about their own career why the long rant about how the club basically forced him out?

Regarding the (lack of) opportunities last season he can only blame himself, after being generally underwhelming for the reserves and plain shite when he made his CC debut (ended up switched to central defence, to keep him as uninvolved as possible). If he can't see this, or can and still feels hard done by then we're better off rid of him. That's a very poor attitude. Contrasts sharply with Petrucci who out-performed him for the reserve, didn't get a sniff of first team action yet has never once bitched about it, on or off the record. Now THAT is the kind of attitude kids need to succeed at the highest level, as opposed to crying like a bitch to his hip hop buddies on BBM (whatever the feck that is) at the merest hint of adversity.

Many posters seem to regard any player moving, for whatever reason, as a personal insult. Then we've got the eschatological lot, who view any move away -- or even the non-signing of a player linked, however spuriously, with us -- as a sign of the end times.
The rats are leaving the sinking ship!; No talented player wants to sign for us! It's the end of the road!

Take a bow, eschatological. Your first Redcafe cap! Probably.

It's fun to indulge a bit of doomsaying in the midnight hour when the candle burns low. Bright and chipper gets old. :)

Complaining about he left is silly. It's like a man crying why his girlfriend who he stole from another man has just left him too.

This.

But it still is sad. From last year's youth team Morrison and Pogba were the standout players and both have gone within a year. Morrison was always going to be iffy because of his attitude but I always thought Pogba was a dead cert for the first team.

I get why people are pissed off but all this feck off, he's a cnut, stuff seems a little too much venom. He's a teenager at the start of a promising career, an in demand talent, without a contract. He had yet to establish himself as a regular first team player. The club hardly birthed him and most fans had yet to take him to their heart. I'm guessing he fulfilled his contract, so what did he really owe United? He has every right to look elsewhere to other potential employers for better terms, be they more playing time or even just more money.

Obviously clubs are going to be pissed off when these players don't sign the contract on their terms. Sure they don't want to lose the talent but the cynical me thinks it's proabably the failure to tie down a financial asset, which is what these huge businesses really hate.

Yeah used to travel up to the youth and ressie games. He's cool would bring Blade Brown with him to a few as well

Mother. fecker.

I don't mind Felon, but Blade Brown....You absolute bastard. Next time you see Blade Brown, tell him to jump on Redcafe and PM me, offer him rep points or something.

This.

But it still is sad. From last year's youth team Morrison and Pogba were the standout players and both have gone within a year. Morrison was always going to be iffy because of his attitude but I always thought Pogba was a dead cert for the first team.

I though Morrison was a cert, but Pogba I wasn't sure of. I'd never seen him really do it - just look as if he could do it.

Fergie was completely confident in his ability though. Just not confident enough to play him :smirk:

I get why people are pissed off but all this feck off, he's a cnut, stuff seems a little too much venom. He's a teenager at the start of a promising career, an in demand talent, without a contract. He had yet to establish himself as a regular first team player. The club hardly birthed him and most fans had yet to take him to their heart. I'm guessing he fulfilled his contract, so what did he really owe United? He has every right to look elsewhere to other potential employers for better terms, be they more playing time or even just more money.

Obviously clubs are going to be pissed off when these players don't sign the contract on their terms. Sure they don't want to lose the talent but the cynical me thinks it's proabably the failure to tie down a financial asset, which is what these huge businesses really hate.

I personally dont get the hate either. He fecked over his previous club to come here, did the same to us. Not really surprising. What i hate though is how players who are 18-19 let money be the decisive factor in their decision because lets face it, he's going to have a very hard time getting into that Juve midfield, had a much better chance here.

Cheers, Andy Gray.

I'll maintain there's nothing silly about using the word eschatological, though. What's silly is indulging in gratuitous eschatology when you're a United supporter. Just resist the temptation!

Nothing silly at all.

I wish I had the guts to use it. I've often typed the letters in the past - only to chicken out and erase.

I wish I had the guts to use it. I've often typed the letters in the past - only to chicken out and erase.
No you don't.

I'm just more or less absolutely shameless. My life's been such a complete vortex of hell lately I do not care anymore.

Back on topic -- those who think we've somehow horribly mistreated Pogba should be able to name at least three games where he should have started.

This was all his agents making (same agent as Balotelli)

Pogba called Jimmy Ryan a couple of weeks ago saying he didn't want to go.

Too many youngsters have agents these days.

Thats interesting, as when fergie mentioned him being disrespectful to the club, what he most likely meant was the lack of respect shown to people like Jim Ryan, Paul Mcguiness and Dave Bushell who have invested so much time and effort into not only his development as a footballer, but his well-being as a person over the last 3-4 years. They really looked after and nurtured him and gave him an environment he thrived in and I cant see Pogba forgetting that in a hurry.

I'll put my hand up, I was saying 3-4 years ago that someone out of Pogba, Morrison or Petrucci would be in our midfield by now. Though we did end up getting Cleverley into first team shape, which probably makes those other failures worth it.

I'm not the only one who sees the large gap between the reserves and the first team and wonder if any player could make that jump directly these days. Recently Welbeck and Evans are first XI players who required loan experience, and Fletcher and O'Shea took many years of being fringe players to start playing serious minutes.

It doesn't sound like Pogba was willing to take the slower, loan route. At least not for us.

To be fair to you, it is absolutely ridiculous that one of those 3 hasn't gone on to properly cement a place here at this point. Petrucci easily had the talent but has been shafted by injury, and the other two are just a bit thick.

It's not over yet :lol:

Whee is that coming from?

Status
Not open for further replies.