Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Managerial Watch

So what is a success for you?

Depends on the situation.

This season, after the shit show we saw last year and the wholesale changes we've seen, I'd be happy with just top4 as there is also clear progression in terms of play style.

If we continue on this trajectory, next season I'd expect a true title challenge.

As it stands we look to be over performing by most measurable metrics of where most fans expected us to be. We're likely to win some silverware and potentially be in a title challenge this year.

No, I use my eyes and brain. Plenty of average Managers get PL gigs, Lampard got given Everton after wasting hundreds of millions at Chelsea and Ole got far better results at United.

Is Ole a terrible Manager? No. He got top 3 placed finished twice, got several Semi Finals and several Finals at his time here. Went on several runs of unbeaten form playing decent football along the way. For a mid club PL team wanting to go on cup runs and possibly win a trophy why wouldn't they gamble on him? He's got a track record of doing very well in cups and managing the squad to also maintain their level in the PL. He had a poor final 4 months, it happens, just look at Klopp right now, he's hardly a bad Manager but arguably having a worse run than Ole did.

This exaggeration that Ole is a terrible Manager is just plain wrong. It's based on people who never wanted him to manage United because he wasn't a hipster name. Most likely the very same people who constantly put the knife in him when given the opportunity every time we had a bad result. The same tiresome feckheads that pissed their negativity in every thread for three years. feck those twats.

Some managers do seem to just move from job to job, getting sacked and hired every other season which makes it weird no one else has taken a shot with him, but at the same time, he does also have the Cardiff spell on his record which is another big negative.

Absolutely, he won the fecking thing.

How can that ever be spun as a lesser achievement than getting beat on penalties?
You seem to have a hard time understanding the question.

Option A: Finishing second in the league, reaching the Europa League final and losing on penalties.
Option B: Finishing sixth in the league, reaching the Europa League final and winning it.

Try now.

Ten Hag has already mentioned about how the standards at the club were lacking. It's a sentiment that both Rashford and Bruno have also echoed.

It might not have been Mourinho levels of toxic where the players and managers were at each others throats, but let's not kid ourselves. The culture Ole brought to the club, we weren't winning anything.

Chris Armas is that you? I have no doubt that Ten Hag talked about standards lacking at the club. But we have to remember that he joined half a year after Ole left the club. Plenty of time for things to deteriorate a lot further in a negative environment with a caretaker manager not up to the job and MLS-level coaches to set the standards.

Except we did. And low and behold the run of scraping points from terrible starts and terrible performances came to an end.

Instead of clawing back a 2 goal deficit to a Southampton or a Bournemouth those sorts of games became draws or defeats. And the plucky underdog games where we beat City and drew against Pool became humiliating routs.
Did you notice a rather significant change in the playing personnel that occurred in Ole's last summer with team? Our results and underlying performance changed immediately after that player joined. And his presence lead to subpar performance under the next two managers too. Does that tell you anything?

Are we going to attribute this to Arsenal this season?

Aren't Liverpool more just shit this season :lol:

Also arsenal are on course for a points total that wins the league in most seasons, solskjaer got a points total that would very rarely get you second. I think it's more appropriate to look at other teams underperforming when that's the case

There were so many posters that were adamant that Ole would get a PL job after getting sacked by us. Seems like owners of clubs knew what most of us on here knew that Ole was a chancer.

In a way he dug his own grave the day he admitted he doesn't really coach/take training. This isn't the 90s/2000s anymore and he doesn't have the pedigree of someone like Ancelotti or proven managers that have earned the right to say that.

The fact that Mckenna and Carrick are flourishing at their respective clubs also diminishes the value as wherever he goes next those two won't be next to him.

Some managers do seem to just move from job to job, getting sacked and hired every other season which makes it weird no one else has taken a shot with him, but at the same time, he does also have the Cardiff spell on his record which is another big negative.
He has reportedly turned down some inquiries to PL gigs since (mid to low table). He's not been in a hurry to jump on another gig. Compared to many of these managers who partake in musical chairs, Ole had a quite prolific career as a player, so he's not lacking for cash now (and we also paid him very well for his time as a manager). If also he wants to spend some time in his home country I would understand him if he's not in a hurry to accept any job when he doesn't have to.

But that's just my opinion/guess.

There were so many posters that were adamant that Ole would get a PL job after getting sacked by us. Seems like owners of clubs knew what most of us on here knew that Ole was a chancer.

In a way he dug his own grave the day he admitted he doesn't really coach/take training. This isn't the 90s/2000s anymore and he doesn't have the pedigree of someone like Ancelotti or proven managers that have earned the right to say that.

The fact that Mckenna and Carrick are flourishing at their respective clubs also diminishes the value as wherever he goes next those two won't be next to him.

Yeah this is it basically, the debate today seemed to start because one of Ole's big fans queried why he isn't even considered for any pl jobs, and any explanation being offered is dismissed out of hand. So what? Its a conspiracy against Ole, teams are purposely avoiding hiring a manager they think would be great just to further the lie that ole wasn't a brilliant manager during his time at us?

Surely the simpler truth is he didn't do a great job given the resource he was afforded, and his career prior to United did nothing to suggest he'd be capable of a PL job either

They'd didn't have teams as strong as ours, obviously. Surely the ole lovers should realise that his name not even being discussed at any other clubs when jobs become available, isn't some grand conspiracy but rather it's indicative of the type of job he did here.

Or maybe its the fact he is not interested in any managerial positions. Nothing wrong with supporting the manager and not continuing to piss on his name even when he's left.

Is every other premiership finish then down to other teams not being as strong? So what's the fecking difference as it seems Liverpool and Chelsea are not as strong this year.

It's fecking shite like this which makes this place so toxic sometimes. He was made an interim manager and then made permanent. He was offered the fecking job, he didn't con his way into it. Have some fecking respect.

On your last point, the same people slagging off Ole were slagging off McKenna but have now strangely gone quiet on that front.

You seem to have a hard time understanding the question.

Option A: Finishing second in the league, reaching the Europa League final and losing on penalties.
Option B: Finishing sixth in the league, reaching the Europa League final and winning it.

Try now.

Inference clearly isn't your strong suit. I'll tell you exactly so you can comprehend, OPTION B.

This is a thread about his future managerial career. His performance discussion at United has been done to death. Fecking getting tiresome repeating the same old shite.

Thank god you contributed to that discussion rather than coming in making glib comments.

It's fecking shite like this which makes this place so toxic sometimes. He was made an interim manager and then made permanent. He was offered the fecking job, he didn't con his way into it. Have some fecking respect.

On your last point, the same people slagging off Ole but slagging off McKenna but have now strangely gone quiet on that front.

What made it toxic was fanboysism which wouldn't allow differing opinions. It's what has made this place toxic for periods on numerous occasions.

I'm surprised there's still people trying to back their camp on this. People should at least have the dignity to admit they were wrong.

On your last point, the same people slagging off Ole were slagging off McKenna but have now strangely gone quiet on that front.

I do actually agree with you on this, Ole is like moyes, he got a job and he wasn't cut out for it, but it's the fault of the people who appointed him, he shouldn't be blamed for taking on his dream job

What made it toxic was fanboysism which wouldn't allow differing opinions. It's what has made this place toxic for periods on numerous occasions.

I'm surprised there's still people trying to back their camp on this. People should at least have the dignity to admit they were wrong.

The discussion on Ole has been done to death, why are people bringing up the same old rubbish in a thread which isn't even for that. People having different views is fine but you if people want to throw in language like he's a chancer then they can well and truly feck off.

Can one of the mods add ”PL winning manager” to the title Of this thread?

I do actually agree with you on this, Ole is like moyes, he got a job and he wasn't cut out for it, but it's the fault of the people who appointed him, he shouldn't be blamed for taking on his dream job

Exactly, would love to see if anyone else would turn down the job. He got offered it, made some improvements but ultimately wasn't good enough to take us further forward.

Can one of the mods add ”PL winning manager” to the title Of this thread?

The charges are only up to 17/18 so even if found guilty it won't make a difference. It will mean he took over a title winning team from mourinho and made them worse but he himself won't get a title

Just kidding

If there was some discussion to contribute on that I would but I see its the chip on shoulder brigade derailing another thread.

Well go to another thread then, because I see noone with a chip on their shoulder, just people discussing a former manager.

He’s not the finished product but he could honestly improve and become a david Moyes, Everton type of side manager or bring stability to lower sides. I know people may think that’s far fetched but he seemed to have a good influence on certain players and he steadied a massive club after a Mourinho melt down

That might tip some in here over the edge.
klopp-the-rock.gif

The charges are only up to 17/18 so even if found guilty it won't make a difference. It will mean he took over a title winning team from mourinho and made them worse but he himself won't get a title

Just kidding

What? No, it won’t mean that. He took over a title winning team whose performances had nosedived under the previous manager. He tried to get them back to previous glory, and came close, but the legacies of the cheating fecks proved lasting depriving him of his glory. That’s the story, no?

What? No, it won’t mean that. He took over a title winning team whose performances had nosedived under the previous manager. He tried to get them back to previous glory, and came close, but the legacies of the cheating fecks proved lasting depriving him of his glory. That’s the story, no?

Just kidding

Damn, you got me.

You missed the white text. Tbf I am of the opinion that he did a good job steadying the ship after mourinho had left a toxic environment behind, and it should have ended at the end of the 18/19 season with him being well regarded for his caretaker spell, but the talent of the team he had at that point plus the money spent means it wasn't a good job

I didn't mean it as an insult but I think it was very obvious that Ole had serious limitations as a coach and tactician. I believe he knew it himself which is why he really honed in on the United/Fergie way rhetoric to get him by. These are the things that would have value at United but at a club where he has no built up goodwill or legacy these things mean nothing.

Any time he was asked about his actual footballing and tactical ideas he served up the most bland answers. I will never forget this corker of an answe he gave when asked about his philosophy. This is what SAF would've said but the difference is he was so much more, Ole was filled with Fergie-isms and nothing more. Like I said, I think owners and Directors could see that also.

I didn't mean it as an insult but I think it was very obvious that Ole had serious limitations as a coach and tactician. I believe he knew it himself which is why he really honed in on the United/Fergie way rhetoric to get him by. These are the things that would have value at United but at a club where he has no built up goodwill or legacy these things mean nothing.

Any time he was asked about his actual footballing and tactical ideas he served up the most bland answers. I will never forget this corker of an answe he gave when asked about his philosophy. This is what SAF would've said but the difference is he was so much more, Ole was filled with Fergie-isms and nothing more. Like I said, I think owners and Directors could see that also.

Calling someone a chancer is clearly an insult. Just no need for it.

Gosh, this thread is quite something :lol:

Reminds me of the Ole inners versus the Ole out brigades.

Same old arguments rehashed again and again.
Yes, but compared to yesterday Ole is now a Premier League winning manager, so all the arguments have to be revisited!

Ole started off the way he said he was going to manage quick attacking play. with no responsibility it worked. Once he got the job he shat himself and changed the way he played, defensively and hit on the counter. This worked for a time, but was fading until Bruno came in. This kickstarted it off again and with Martial staying fairly fit, Rashford hitting a hot streak and Greenwood breaking through, and able to spend more than anyone at Utd in 3 years, he did well. Once the other teams found out how to play him though it quickly fell apart.
Rangnick was on a hiding to nothing, taking on the shitfest Ole left and losing Greenwood especially.
Ten Hag has in a matter of months shown what proper training/coaching tactics etc can accomplish.

Why so much vitriol here? This is a PL winning manager ffs!

Right, so you agree that Ten Hag has done a good job this season by finishing top 4?

Ole done the same in his first season, yet I see positives about Ten Hag and negatives about Ole.

Ole improved in 2 seasons, 3rd season where he had to go title challenge, was sacked rightly so.

People like you saying he shouldn't have got the job, but then where is the same energy for Ten Hag, because all he is doing is doing EXACTLY what Ole did in his first year.

Yeah, Ten Hag is taking over a team with Bruno, Rashford, Sancho.

It wasn't his first season. It was his first full. He was also in charge for half a season, and after the first good results, he bottled top 4. He had 6 months to access his squad, not a pre season.