Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Managerial Watch

I can explain this to you. Repeat after me. Top-4 has 4 places. Top-1 has... well, one place.

So, falling just short of achieving the latter is no great shame.

Oh here is another one who thinks Ole bottled top 4 in his first 6 months in charge.

Why do fans like you who want to educate someone in maths fail to see clear context..? Maybe cause you dont understand football.

Ole came in in a toxic environment in December 11 points of the top. He got us to 2 points of top with 3 games to go, how on earth is that a bottle?

Personally, I wont be saying Ten Hag bottled the PL title this season if we dont win.

I will stick to what I said at the start, top 4 and a trophy, he has done a terrific job.

People saying Ole will get a title from this City debacle realize the charges go up to 2017/2018 right?

I have not seen anyone say that and it not be a humorous comment. Even Ive said it.

So in their first full season, Ole got top 4 after spending millions only after Leicester bottled it. So, even if we don't take into consideration the advantages Ole had (6 full months before, and not having many senior players leave), ETH still seems to piss on Ole's first season.

You are right I should have picked day 33, when we had a game in hand to go ahead of Chelsea but we lost. So, yes if in day 34 we are 2 points behind from the first one and we have a game in hand, then I will admit that ETH bottled the title race.

Is placing third the new way of saying "top4" when we talk about managers we intensely dont like?

In the Premier League, you dont buy coffee at the stadium without spending millions. That word is not the villain you make it out to be.

Ten Hag and Ole had nearly identical spends in their first transfer window as manager. Ten Hag has spent a fraction more. The only regular feature forward that left the club was Ronaldo. Pogba does not count as he is reaching Phil Jones levels of injured. The rest were bench options or fringe squad members. I dont think anyone is going to suggest that they dont love what Ten Hag is doing, but at least make the arguments factual.

Its not a hard argument to make that Ander Herrera leaving for PSG was a far harder blow to the squad than any current season outgoings.

Oh here is another one who thinks Ole bottled top 4 in his first 6 months in charge.

Why do fans like you who want to educate someone in maths fail to see clear context..? Maybe cause you dont understand football.

Ole came in in a toxic environment in December 11 points of the top. He got us to 2 points of top with 3 games to go, how on earth is that a bottle?

Personally, I wont be saying Ten Hag bottled the PL title this season if we dont win.

I will stick to what I said at the start, top 4 and a trophy, he has done a terrific job.

The ''bottled it'' thing is such a weird thing on this forum. On this forum not winning/first place equals bottling it. After a final there is a winner and a ''bottler'' on this forum.

How ironic of you to say people don't understand football when you don't seem to factor the huge advantage that Ole had that he was 6 months already in the club before comparing their first season. It's amazing you say Ole did a great job when he came in a toxic environment, yet you don't want to factor these 6 months when you want to compare their first season.

Keep comparing apples and oranges.

People saying Ole will get a title from this City debacle realize the charges go up to 2017/2018 right?
I read that they have 20 charges for not sharing details after the 2017-18 season. So they can get the same punishment for further breaches too.

The ''bottled it'' thing is such a weird thing on this forum. On this forum not winning/first place equals bottling it. After a final there is a winner and a ''bottler'' on this forum.

Exactly, its used so losely. I dont know about others but "bottling" it in my eyes is when you are firmly in control of something and have a mletdown.

Some people are calling losing in a final on pens a bottle. I mean to bottle a final is being 3-0 up and losing. Being 10 points clear on top 4 and not finishing top 4.

That's how I see it.

Why the sudden spike in interest in Ole? There’s zero chance he’ll be retrospectively exonerated from the shambles he left us in.

How ironic of you to say people don't understand football when you don't seem to factor the huge advantage that Ole had that he was 6 months already in the club before comparing their first season. It's amazing you say Ole did a great job when he came in a toxic environment, yet you don't want to factor these 6 months when you want to compare their first season.

Keep comparing apples and oranges.

Can you READ? I am talking about his first 6 months in charge. The 18/19 season.

I am sorry, I wasn't aware that Ole was at the club when Jose was manager and took over when he got sacked. That is poor from me, my apologies, I did not know that and clearly my football knowledge is not that great.

I was under the impression that when Jose got sacked, Ole was at Molde and we hired him as temp.

I think he sadly misses out if they do give retrospective titles, Mr 3 times will become Mr 4 times though.

Can you READ? I am talking about his first 6 months in charge. The 18/19 season.

I am sorry, I wasn't aware that Ole was at the club when Jose was manager and took over when he got sacked. That is poor from me, my apologies, I did not know that and clearly my football knowledge is not that great.

I was under the impression that when Jose got sacked, Ole was at Molde and we hired him as temp.

Apologies then. I thought that this part "
Right, so you agree that Ten Hag has done a good job this season by finishing top 4?

Ole done the same in his first season, yet I see positives about Ten Hag and negatives about Ole." was about 2019 2020. OK so then where exactly did Ole the same in 2018 2019? I must have missed us reaching top 4 that year.

Apologies then. I thought that this part "
Right, so you agree that Ten Hag has done a good job this season by finishing top 4?

Ole done the same in his first season, yet I see positives about Ten Hag and negatives about Ole." was about 2019 2020. OK so then where exactly did Ole the same in 2018 2019? I must have missed us reaching top 4 that year.

I am over the moon with Ten Hag, I would not change him for any other manager. If we get top 4, I think its a good season considering I expected alot worse this season.

What I do not get is the double standards. People saying Ole bottled top 4 when he got the job in 18/19 and bottling finals. All I said was, if a fan thinks Ole bottled top 4 in 18/19 when after 18 games we were 11 points off it, the same energy should be applied if Ten Hag doesn't win the title being that far off the title.

If we dont win the league, I will not be saying he bottled anything.

I read that they have 20 charges for not sharing details after the 2017-18 season. So they can get the same punishment for further breaches too.

They accused them of not cooperating with the investigation since it started. The investigation started in 2018

It has referred the club to an independent commission over alleged rule breaches between 2009 and 2018.

It also accused City of not co-operating since the investigation started in December 2018.

Manchester City have been charged with breaking financial fair play rules around 100 times over a nine-year period, which starts in 2009 and goes on until 2018. You have to bear in mind that, during the period, Man City won the Premier League three times.

The 3 titles they won in this period are 2011/2012, 2013/2014 and 2017/2018.

Let's imagine the titles got stripped, which I think will never happen, but let's imagine it. That makes Ferguson, Gerrard and Mourinho the biggest winners out of this.

Ironically enough, the charges don't extend to the two seasons Liverpool finished 2nd with +90 points.

Wait, I didn't know Ole's apologists still existed ? Unreal, man.

I don't think it makes sense to grant stripped titles to the second place team. Every season managers make decisions as to which games to prioritise based partially on their chances of winning a trophy, getting top 4 or whatever. Those things are themselves dictated by what other teams are doing.

Take 17/18 as an example, we came 2nd, 19 points off City. 6 points seperated us in 2nd from Liverpool in 4th. Take City out of that picture and the outlook and priorities of United, Spurs and Liverpool likely become very different. Maybe we win, but maybe Spurs or Liverpool throw everything at the league and pip us to it. Maybe that means they field weaker teams in other competitions and results go differently there.

Best to just chalk them off.

They accused them of not cooperating with the investigation since it started. The investigation started in 2018

The 3 titles they won in this period are 2011/2012, 2013/2014 and 2017/2018.

Let's imagine the titles got stripped, which I think will never happen, but let's imagine it. That makes Ferguson, Gerrard and Mourinho the biggest winners out of this.

Ironically enough, the charges don't extend to the two seasons Liverpool finished 2nd with +90 points.

I thought that they could only charge them with not cooperating because they've refused to provide them with any documentation after 2018. The inference being that dodgy accounting is still going on but there's nothing specific to point to as they've not held up their legal obligations. I think they can still be punished for that time.

In respect of the period from December 2018 to date, the Premier League Rules applicable in the relevant Seasons requiring a member club to cooperate with, and assist, the Premier League in its investigations, including by providing documents and information to the Premier League in the utmost good faith, namely:
(a) for Season 2018/19, Premier League Rules B.16, B.19, W.1, W.2, W.12 and W.13;
(b) for Season 2019/20, Premier League Rules B.16, B.19, W.1, W.2, W.12 and W.13;
(c) for Season 2020/21, Premier League Rules B.16, B.19, W.1, W.2, W.12 and W.13;
(d) for Season 2021/22, Premier League Rules B.15, B.18, W.1, W.2, W.15 and W.16; and
(e) for Season 2022/23, Premier League Rules B.15, B.18, W.1, W.2, W.15 and W.16.

These are the charges related to 2018 to current date under Premier League rules. What punishment they get for the above charges is up to the commission. But they have been charged for 2018-2023 too.

In respect of the period from December 2018 to date, the Premier League Rules applicable in the relevant Seasons requiring a member club to cooperate with, and assist, the Premier League in its investigations, including by providing documents and information to the Premier League in the utmost good faith, namely:
(a) for Season 2018/19, Premier League Rules B.16, B.19, W.1, W.2, W.12 and W.13;
(b) for Season 2019/20, Premier League Rules B.16, B.19, W.1, W.2, W.12 and W.13;
(c) for Season 2020/21, Premier League Rules B.16, B.19, W.1, W.2, W.12 and W.13;
(d) for Season 2021/22, Premier League Rules B.15, B.18, W.1, W.2, W.15 and W.16; and
(e) for Season 2022/23, Premier League Rules B.15, B.18, W.1, W.2, W.15 and W.16.

These are the charges related to 2018 to current date under Premier League rules. What punishment they get for the above charges is up to the commission. But they have been charged for 2018-2023 too.

That doesn't contradict what I mentioned above ? They were charged for not cooperating or helping with the investigation/dragging it ever since it started in 2018 up till now. That's what I said and what the first sentence in your post says. They weren't charged for breaking the FFP rules in the period of 2018-2023 because the investigation didn't extend to this period.

That doesn't contradict what I mentioned above ? They were charged for not cooperating or helping with the investigation/dragging it ever since it started in 2018 up till now. That's what I said and what the first sentence in your post says. They weren't charged for breaking the FFP rules in the period of 2018-2023 because the investigation didn't extend to this period.
Oh so you meant they weren’t charged for ffp violations in 2018-23 period. I thought you meant they weren’t charged for any violations during that period. Hence i posted the above. They aren’t charged for violating ffp rules but have been charged for not cooperating with investigations. Don’t know if both violations attract the same sanctions.

Managerial Watch?

What's he managing these days, besides living rent free in peoples heads in this thread?

There seems to be no actual news re Ole lately. A bit worrying for him that no one is calling for his services, not even in lower leagues.

Wait, I didn't know Ole's apologists still existed ? Unreal, man.

Im sorry this isnt a echochamber where you can say anything you want without having statements challenged. Perhaps a more toxic place would be to your liking?

There seems to be no actual news re Ole lately. A bit worrying for him that no one is calling for his services, not even in lower leagues.

As per reports in Norwegian newspaper VG in May 2022, Ole has turned down several job offers, including Premier League clubs in 2022. In September it was reported he was on a shortlist of candidates to take over for Brendan Rogers at Leicester if they chose to sack him. Who knows what he himself wants though. Frank Lampard got a PL job after failing in epic fashion at Chelsea, Ole who have a better track record should surely be able to land a job in the big league if Frank could.

Im sorry this isnt a echochamber where you can say anything you want without having statements challenged. Perhaps a more toxic place would be to your liking?

There's nothing to discuss. Your favorite manager failed miserably here by every single and possible metric. It's just his few remaining supporters here who are persisting on keeping this pointless discussion going on just to convince themselves (or rather, delude themselves) that Ole wasn't a gigantic failure at Manchester United as a manager.

No club from top tier leagues will not go near him. On the other hand, he will not accept championship job i guess.

He will get some job in Norway soon. Maybe NT or something (so again he will get job above his skills:wenger:).

Why would it be worrying, if he's indicated he's taking a break from management?

He's not a top tier manager... once he gets the itch he'll put himself back in the limelight and then we'll see if anyone pulls for his services.

Why would it be worrying, if he's indicated he's taking a break from management?

He's not a top tier manager... once he gets the itch he'll put himself back in the limelight and then we'll see if anyone pulls for his services.

I didn't realize that that was the news. Sorry about that.

Again, if you are basing only by points, I hope you are consistent throughout the years comparing points not league position. I will bookmark this to make sure this is the case.

Well i don't know that I'd say that comparing points total from now til say the 90s is a fair comparison the game has changed so much, but to compare from 5 years ago til now, it's generally a similar points total that wins theleague

Oh so you meant they weren’t charged for ffp violations in 2018-23 period. I thought you meant they weren’t charged for any violations during that period. Hence i posted the above. They aren’t charged for violating ffp rules but have been charged for not cooperating with investigations. Don’t know if both violations attract the same sanctions.

FFP is only a small part of this. I think people are confusing Financial Regulations with Financial Fair play regulations.

City are being charged with breaches of the Financial Regulations as well as the FFP ones. It's a much more serious charge than an FFP violation in my view.

There's nothing to discuss. Your favorite manager failed miserably here by every single and possible metric. It's just his few remaining supporters here who are persisting on keeping this pointless discussion going on just to convince themselves (or rather, delude themselves) that Ole wasn't a gigantic failure at Manchester United as a manager.

I can only imagine that a child has posted this, it's packed with so much hyperbole and has the full "anyone who disagrees with me doesn't understand football" approach.

And I say this as someone who agree that Ole had to go, and was too limited as a coach to get us back to the big time.

Every manager we've appointed since Fergie has failed, because they lacked either the conviction, the personality, or the ability, to lead us to the tip, hopefully until now as it looks like Erik has it all.

I can only imagine that a child has posted this, it's packed with so much hyperbole and has the full "anyone who disagrees with me doesn't understand football" approach.

And I say this as someone who agree that Ole had to go, and was too limited as a coach to get us back to the big time.

Every manager we've appointed since Fergie has failed, because they lacked either the conviction, the personality, or the ability, to lead us to the tip, hopefully until now as it looks like Erik has it all.

There's nothing to discuss regarding absolute facts. It's just a waste of time, regardless of you agreeing with this or not, it doesn't really matter that much.

There's nothing to discuss regarding absolute facts. It's just a waste of time, regardless of you agreeing with this or not, it doesn't really matter that much.

The issue here is you stating your opinion, packed with hyperbole, as "absolute facts".

But I agree with the rest of your post - Ole failed, just like all our previous managers failed, and you're right that it doesn't really matter as hopefully we're out of the cycle of failure.

Spot on.

The only debate is 'who was the least worst' and it's a totally redundant debate. Everyone has their personal favourite, and they'll spin a narrative to paint them as the 'best'.

I enjoyed Ole's spell the most, but Jose and LvG were more successful here. Rangnick was a total fecking waste of time, and Moyes was a disaster. I wouldn't defend any of them though, as ultimately, they are all total failures and the club stagnated because of them.

Spot on.

The only debate is 'who was the least worst' and it's a totally redundant debate. Everyone has their personal favourite, and they'll spin a narrative to paint them as the 'best'.

I enjoyed Ole's spell the most, but Jose and LvG were more successful here. Rangnick was a total fecking waste of time, and Moyes was a disaster. I wouldn't defend any of them though, as ultimately, they are all total failures and the club stagnated because of them.

Yeah that's pretty much how I see things, all of them had their qualities but none of them had enough for Man Utd. The only thing I disagree with is Rangnick being a waste of time - him obviously being held hostage by our more toxic squad members gave EtH an easier ride in pulling rank with Ronaldo, and eventually moving him on. Not a compliment to him, but still useful.

Spot on.

Aye, this would be my sentiments too.

I would only add that the club itself also must take blame. I'm not sure if any of our previous managers would have been able to do a good job even if the club was ran by competent people, but things would surely have been a little better.

Yeah that's pretty much how I see things, all of them had their qualities but none of them had enough for Man Utd. The only thing I disagree with is Rangnick being a waste of time - him obviously being held hostage by our more toxic squad members gave EtH an easier ride in pulling rank with Ronaldo, and eventually moving him on. Not a compliment to him, but still useful.

I don't even blame Rangnick per se, but his whole spell ended up being pretty disastrous. There are certainly mitigating factors to take into account.

Aye, this would be my sentiments too.

I would only add that the club itself also must take blame. I'm not sure if any of our previous managers would have been able to do a good job even if the club was ran by competent people, but things would surely have been a little better.

Aye, the whole club from top to bottom has been a shit-show post-Fergie.

Thankfully, it looks like we are finally getting our act together.

Ole is about to make his first public appearance since the sacking at a "Evening with" event at the Mercure Hotel in Manchester. Friday, May 12th. The promo text seems a little over the top, but this is how they choose to present him. I think I might actually attend this event and get a "platinum package". Seems like good value for a experience

https://www.tickettailor.com/events/legends72/843320

For the 1st time in the world! Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will be returning home to Manchester in a live unscripted interview to chat about his incredible career at Manchester United and the unforgettable 1999 treble winning season. Ole is without doubt the most loved player to ever wear the famous red shirt of Manchester United.

Evening with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is a truly once in a lifetime opportunity to get up close and personal to the Manchester United Legend.

Evening & Ticket Details

Platinum VIP Package per person £425.00 Includes....

18.15pm Arrive at the International suite
Signed authenticated Ole Gunnar 1999 champions league final shirt.
Opportunity to meet & greet Ole
Complimentary drinks reception
A Professional 6X9 photograph taken with you and Ole to take home
Live on-stage unscripted Interview with Ole
Official event program
Platinum level seating (Best seats in the house)
Scrumptious 3 course dinner
Live entertainment throughout the evening
Bespoke memorabilia auction
Master of ceremonies Jed Stone

Gold Package per person £175.00 Includes....

18.45pm Arrive at the International suite
A Professional 6X9 photograph taken with you and Ole to take home
Official event program
Gold level seating

Silver Package per person £129.00 Includes....

19.00pm Arrive at the International suite
Official event program
Silver level seating

Dress Code Men Suit, Smart Casual No Jeans or Trainers

Ladies Evening Dress.

Terms & Conditions of Sale.

Please note. Tickets will only be refunded if the event is cancelled. If the event is postponed and rescheduled to a new date all tickets will be still valid.

Company Registration 10422050

Mercure Hotel Portland Street Manchester, M1 4PH