Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Managerial Watch

He took us as far as he could ultimately. Which was a lot of semi finals and finals without getting us over the line. Certainly not a disaster appointment as some like to paint him to be.

We had plenty of entertaining games under Ole with some terrific fight backs.
We also had some of the most soulless uninspiring performances under him. The 5-0 at home to Liverpool, 6-1 at home to spurs and the derby where city took pity on us the lowlights.

But you cited players being allowed to turn in bad performances and half-arsing their way through league campaigns as a form of toxicity, which is exactly where Liverpool are right now.

There’s zero evidence that Liverpool’s problems this season are down to a bad atmosphere within the squad enabled by the manager. And even speculating that’s the cause makes no sense when the same manager has previously created an atmosphere of excellence over a very long period of time (at more than one top club)

There’s zero evidence that Liverpool’s problems this season are down to a bad atmosphere within the squad enabled by the manager. And even speculating that’s the cause makes no sense when the same manager has previously created an atmosphere of excellence over a very long period of time (at more than one top club)

Then what does this mean.

I would argue that allowing a culture of players taking the piss and generally half-arsing their way through league campaigns is a pretty bad atmosphere.

What it says?

Now re-read my last post to see why none of this applies to Liverpool under Klopp.

So Salah not giving a shit after his contract extension is different is it? TAA not bothering to do his job is different? Nunez trying his hardest not to score? Or do you just arbitrarily say these players not performing very well is obviously symptomatic of enabling a toxic atmosphere, however this set of players doing the same thing is different?

Some players were frustrating to watch, but there wasn't any notion of this "toxic dressing room" until the season fell apart at the beginning of last season. By which point Ronaldo had arrived, deep divisions formed in the squad, press leaks were occurring every day, and of course we eventually had Ralf doing his upmost best to fan the flames at every opportunity. We ultimately weren't good enough under Ole because we failed to invest in the right areas of the squad and he struggled to create a more proactive, dominant team. It wasn't because he'd created this toxic atmosphere at the club, which is how this exchange originally started.

We also had some of the most soulless uninspiring performances under him. The 5-0 at home to Liverpool, 6-1 at home to spurs and the derby where city took pity on us the lowlights.

Shit happens, the 5-0 and city result were at the very end of his reign anyway. The City result in particular is more down to the board as he should have been sacked before then. Which season was the 6-1 Spurs? I have no memory of that game. We had a lot of entertaining games, it was a fun rollercoaster watching Ole football. All Managers have bad results, we were never dull or boring, we went on long runs of unbeaten form too, longer than any of our previous Managers and until the final season we went very far in all comps.

edit: Oh the Spurs game was when Martial got sent off in the first half.

Has Ole been linked to any PL manger jobs .?

An ex Manutd Manager who finished in the top 3 twice and got to a European final is never mentioned. Very strange.

I really think non league football is Ole’s level. Would you forgive him for becoming Man City manager in a year or two?

An ex Manutd Manager who finished in the top 3 twice and got to a European final is never mentioned. Very strange.
Not sure if trolling but I think owners look at a lot more than just where someone finished and what their role actually was. Ole was a hands off head coach who delegated from day 1, he took up SAFs latter role without ever earning it, if anything owners will be watch Carrick and McKenna closely.

He took over a team that finished 2nd with 81 points 6 months before he joined, spent nearly half a billion on them and in his last game got thrashed by Watford, I'd be surprised if he was ever given a PL job again

The zero effort performances, throwing two managers under the bus, leaks, briefs from players against the club and even their team mates, and injury skiving, that was all down to Ronaldo was it?

We removed most of the toxicity by getting rid of Lingard, Pogba, Henderson, Ronaldo, Cavani and benching/looking to offload Maguire. And there's still a fair bit to do.

All because Ole and the club made stupid decisions on players and squad management, and instilled a culture of no discipline and new contracts for no effort.

I agree, but i think it goes much further back than that. Personally i belive it started to manifest somewhere around the end of Moyes/start of LvG period and got worse as time went on. First season with Jose looked really good and i think Zlatan had a very positive impact on the squad, turned sour and had a small bounce with Ole again before it all went to hell and worse with Ole's last season and Ralf.

Managers can be faulted for not sorting it out, but imo the problem originated from the very top and gradually seeped into the dressing room where it affected quite a few players.

Im just glad that ETH seems to have sorted out that nonsense

He took over a team that finished 2nd with 81 points 6 months before he joined, spent nearly half a billion on them and in his last game got thrashed by Watford, I'd be surprised if he was ever given a PL job again

He's also enroute to have won a PL title (heheheh City). Got to numerous semi finals and finals.

Had a disappointing final season after being given the Ronaldo anchor. Lets not forget that when he took over after Jose the club was in a worse position too (but you will forget that). Personally I hope that he doesnt take another job, he managed his dream club, anything after that will be a downer. End on a high.

He's also enroute to have won a PL title (heheheh City). Got to numerous semi finals and finals.

Had a disappointing final season after being given the Ronaldo anchor. Lets not forget that when he took over after Jose the club was in a worse position too (but you will forget that). Personally I hope that he doesnt take another job, he managed his dream club, anything after that will be a downer. End on a high.

"He took over the team that finished in 2nd place" is one of the intellectual dishonest arguments you can make about his time.

If people want to make dishonest arguments they can also go with, Ole took over the team that was 3 points ahead of Bournemouth after 17 games and then finished 3rd and 2nd in his full season.

I'm not forgetting how things were with Jose, but that was the toxicity surrounding the team, they were clearly still pretty decent at football, even if you totally discount the points de gea won is it was still around a 70 point team at absolute worst, if solskjaer gets a pl title he'll have broken the record for lowest points total he won it with. For all people go on about Ronaldo, the guy scored the winning goals against villareal twice, if ole could have beaten them he'd have at least had a trophy.

As I've said before though i don't blame ole, he shouldn't have been made permanent manager so early when he was going to be staying til the end of the season regardless, by which point I don't think anyone would have argued for giving him the job full time, when the results dropped so much from his caretaker spell

"He took over the team that finished in 2nd place" is one of the intellectual dishonest arguments you can make about his time.

If people want to make dishonest arguments they can also go with, Ole took over the team that was 3 points ahead of Bournemouth after 17 games and then finished 3rd and 2nd in his full season.

It's just agenda posting, it's weird United fans have such a burning hate for Ole that they have to twist their arguments to make him appear terrible. Why would any United fan do that? It's Ole ffs, he could have done a stinking shit in the middle of the Old Trafford pitch and i'd still love the man.

Ultimately his downfall was not being a good enough coach/tactician to turn a good, solid, counter-attacking side into a team capable of winning trophies.

We have seen how hard this is and it takes an elite manager to do it. In fact, multiple West Ham sources have said their struggles this year, compared with last seasons excellent form, relate to them attempting to change their style to become a 'Champions League club'.

I am sure that if our only ambition was to keep finishing 2nd/3rd with perhaps the odd FA Cup/League Cup win, we'd have been fine under Ole.

They finished 2nd 6 months prior, with 81 points, they hadn't forgotten how to play football in that time, just the atmosphere with mourinho was untenable. Its like people who say pep had such a hard job taking over barcelona in 2008 because they finished 3rd in the league, even though the team basically dominated us over 2 legs and then the spine of the team won the Euros in 2008. Just because one manager has started to decline, it doesn't suddenly remove the talent from the team

It's just agenda posting, it's weird United fans have such a burning hate for Ole that they have to twist their arguments to make him appear terrible. Why would any United fan do that? It's Ole ffs, he could have done a stinking shit in the middle of the Old Trafford pitch and i'd still love the man.

So you're opinions aren't biased? I'm young enough that I missed most of ole's run as a player only seeing thr last few years, but while I'll always respect him for what he did as a player, it doesn't mean we need to make him immune from criticism as a manager, you should be able to separate the two

Sorry but this logic makes no sense.

You can't compare one manager's performance six months before he was sacked (Mourinho) to another manager's several days before he was sacked. Solskjaer took over a team that was 6th and just got embarrassed by Liverpool, not the team as it was in May 2018.

Every manager goes shit at the end, that's why they get sacked.

As much as I love Ole and was desperate for him to succeed at United, we could all see that he was really out of his depth. He was still learning tactically, which is fine as long as you hire people you can learn from, instead, he hired his friends people who themselves had a lot to learn.
The team knew just one way of playing football and that's not enough to win anything substantial.
I might be making this up but I remember noticing that the players' fitness levels were sub par. they didn't know what to do when in possession especially. The good thing is that he didn't lose the dressing room, the players were playing for him till the last game, but that's probably because he didn't look like he could discipline the players they were working in a relaxed undemanding atmosphere. Also, even though the players were playing for him. they didn't know how to tactically.

Sorry but this logic makes no sense.

You can't compare one manager's performance six months before he was sacked (Mourinho) to another manager's several days before he was sacked. Solskjaer took over a team that was 6th and just got embarrassed by Liverpool, not the team as it was in May 2018.

Every manager goes shit at the end, that's why they get sacked.

He took over a side that had the talent to finish with 81 points, but who were clearly being negatively impacted by an absolutely horrific atmosphere around the club. Remember real Madrid under benitez, they were playing shit, then Zidane took over. He did a very good job, but the teams underperformance under benitez doesn't reflect the level of the side that Zidane took over, they were clearly a team capable of winning the CL. Ole did a great job steadying the ship, and even though the results sharply declined after psg, if he'd only managed until the end of the season, it would be a very fondly remembered spell and we could have brought in a new manager that summer and given him the resources we gave to ole (maybe that guy who took ajax to the CL semi finals that year would have gotten a look in)

So you're opinions aren't biased? I'm young enough that I missed most of ole's run as a player only seeing thr last few years, but while I'll always respect him for what he did as a player, it doesn't mean we need to make him immune from criticism as a manager, you should be able to separate the two

No, I use my eyes and brain. Plenty of average Managers get PL gigs, Lampard got given Everton after wasting hundreds of millions at Chelsea and Ole got far better results at United.

Is Ole a terrible Manager? No. He got top 3 placed finished twice, got several Semi Finals and several Finals at his time here. Went on several runs of unbeaten form playing decent football along the way. For a mid club PL team wanting to go on cup runs and possibly win a trophy why wouldn't they gamble on him? He's got a track record of doing very well in cups and managing the squad to also maintain their level in the PL. He had a poor final 4 months, it happens, just look at Klopp right now, he's hardly a bad Manager but arguably having a worse run than Ole did.

This exaggeration that Ole is a terrible Manager is just plain wrong. It's based on people who never wanted him to manage United because he wasn't a hipster name. Most likely the very same people who constantly put the knife in him when given the opportunity every time we had a bad result. The same tiresome feckheads that pissed their negativity in every thread for three years. feck those twats.

Ultimately his downfall was not being a good enough coach/tactician to turn a good, solid, counter-attacking side into a team capable of winning trophies.

We have seen how hard this is and it takes an elite manager to do it. In fact, multiple West Ham sources have said their struggles this year, compared with last seasons excellent form, relate to them attempting to change their style to become a 'Champions League club'.

I am sure that if our only ambition was to keep finishing 2nd/3rd with perhaps the odd FA Cup/League Cup win, we'd have been fine under Ole.

He couldn't read the game. It's all well and good setting a team up, sometimes you will get it right as we did against PSG, but even with great players there will be plenty of games where its not going your way and you need to tweak things. Especially late in competitions against better teams. If you cant do that you'll never go all the way, and Ole was hopeless at it. Incidentally so is Southgate.

Anyway as of yesterday... Ole Gunnar Solksjaer - Premier League winner.

No, I use my eyes and brain. Plenty of average Managers get PL gigs, Lampard got given Everton after wasting hundreds of millions at Chelsea and Ole got far better results at United.

Is Ole a terrible Manager? No. He got top 3 placed finished twice, got several Semi Finals and several Finals at his time here. Went on several runs of unbeaten form playing decent football along the way. For a mid club PL team wanting to go on cup runs and possibly win a trophy why wouldn't they gamble on him? He's got a track record of doing very well in cups and managing the squad to also maintain their level in the PL. He had a poor final 4 months, it happens, just look at Klopp right now, he's hardly a bad Manager but arguably having a worse run than Ole did.

This exaggeration that Ole is a terrible Manager is just plain wrong. It's based on people who never wanted him to manage United because he wasn't a hipster name. Most likely the very same people who constantly put the knife in him when given the opportunity every time we had a bad result. The same tiresome feckheads that pissed their negativity in every thread for three years. feck those twats.

You might be forgetting the other spell ole had in the Premier league where he took Cardiff down, then got sacked after not performing well in the championship either, he needed more resources than just about any manager in history at United, just to do worse than under mourinho, who at least won trophies and finished with a higher points total. Why would any mid level pl club take a risk on a guy who failed both with teams at the top and at the bottom. Lampard was given the benefit of the doubt mainly because he's English, but also because Chelsea is such a shitshow, but after his time at Everton he's not going to be in the running for any more PL jobs

He couldn't read the game. It's all well and good setting a team up, sometimes you will get it right as we did against PSG, but even with great players there will be plenty of games where its not going your way and you need to tweak things. Especially late in competitions against better teams. If you cant do that you'll never go all the way, and Ole was hopeless at it. Incidentally so is Southgate.

Anyway as of yesterday... Ole Gunnar Solksjaer - Premier League winner.

Yeah that's fair. Just didn't have the tactical nous to be flexible in the big games and turn around situations. If our Plan A worked then great, but if it didn't we'd struggle. Especially against the best teams.

You might be forgetting the other spell ole had in the Premier league where he took Cardiff down, then got sacked after not performing well in the championship either, he needed more resources than just about any manager in history at United, just to do worse than under mourinho, who at least won trophies and finished with a higher points total. Why would any mid level pl club take a risk on a guy who failed both with teams at the top and at the bottom. Lampard was given the benefit of the doubt mainly because he's English, but also because Chelsea is such a shitshow, but after his time at Everton he's not going to be in the running for any more PL jobs

So what? Plenty of PL Managers go on runs of form that could get their club relegated. Not many PL Managers have demonstrated they know how to navigate a season and get far in cups and do well in the league. If your argument carried any weight at all then we wouldn't have the constant merry go round of the same Managers switching from one PL team to another despite winning feck all and floating above the relegation zone on a constant basis. You don't really have an argument...

Your posts reek of someone who was pissed off that Ole got the gig in the first place, so why should I bother continuing to debate this when you clearly have your own biased agenda?

So what? Plenty of PL Managers go on runs of form that could get their club relegated. Not many PL Managers have demonstrated they know how to navigate a season and get far in cups and do well in the league. If your argument carried any weight at all then we wouldn't have the constant merry go round of the same Managers switching from one PL team to another despite winning feck all and floating above the relegation zone on a constant basis. You don't really have an argument...

My point is there's few managers in the world that couldn't have taken over from mourinho, spent 440m in 3 years and achieved a couple of top 4 finishes and a cup run in a competition not many people care about, most pl teams can't throw that level of resources or even close to it, and they also have far worse teams than the side ole got, when he took over a team without those level of resources in the league, he also underperformed, he's not shown the tactical awareness, being able to operate on somewhat of a budget or any characteristics that would make him a suitable appointment for a mid table PL side. You're right of course that it's unfair that English players like lampard are given more leeway and more opportunities, and you know this has always been the case, like Steve Bruce getting endless jobs in this league, but solskjaer didn't really do anything that would make a team see him as the man to take them forward

My point is there's few managers in the world that couldn't have taken over from mourinho, spent 440m in 3 years and achieved a couple of top 4 finishes and a cup run in a competition not many people care about, most pl teams can't throw that level of resources or even close to it, and they also have far worse teams than the side ole got, when he took over a team without those level of resources in the league, he also underperformed, he's not shown the tactical awareness, being able to operate on somewhat of a budget or any characteristics that would make him a suitable appointment for a mid table PL side. You're right of course that it's unfair that English players like lampard are given more leeway and more opportunities, and you know this has always been the case, like Steve Bruce getting endless jobs in this league, but solskjaer didn't really do anything that would make a team see him as the man to take them forward

Ah I see, so we're moving into the realms of fantasy debate now.

My point is that if Ole wasn't sabotaged by Woodward and the Glazers and bought who he actually wanted, we'd have bought Haland and Bellingham and won the PL twice and the CL once. That's my alternate universe debate.

Yeah, I can understand people not liking Jose but twisting arguments to hate one of the nicest man to play for us? He tried his best, it wasn't enough. We did finished in top 4 twice, only time post SAF that we finished in top 4 in consecutive seasons, not a great achievement but decent enough. Penalty kick away from winning Europa league too.

I wanted him gone too as it was obvious we were going nowhere with him but the way people twist the arguments, you would think he took over champions like Moyes did and finished 7th with them.

got to a European final
Amazes me after all these years that this is being spun as a positive.

We were in the Europa because we couldn't get out the CL group stage. It's a complete failure of a European campaign from that point no matter what happened.

Add in the fact we couldn't win the final as big favourites, I'm baffled this can be considered an achievement.

He has won us a PL, as a manager . Give the guy some respect he deserves.

Right, so I would like to see the same energy for Ten Hag.

So you are talking about FA cup semi, League cup semi, Europa semi, Europa Final are all cup runs not many care about is your personal opinion.

I actually care about every cup, I would be very pleased with top 4 and League cup this season.

I hope you have the same energy at the end of the season, if Ten Hag does not win the PL, because it seems in your eyes, only winning the PL / CL means the manager has done well, otherwise they are not tactically good.

you would think he took over champions like Moyes did and finished 7th with them.

This is what's odd to me. I don't rate Solskjær, but I see no reason to single him out in the shit pile when Moyes and Van Gaal is in there as well. It must be because he's the most recent failure, otherwise I'm seriously confused.

And Mourinho, while being the most successful, looked like he was on the verge of suicide during his entire spell here. And in between the moping he also spent the most money and his best transfer was still 35 year old Zlatan.

He has won us a PL, as a manager . Give the guy some respect he deserves.
Yeah - if City are sanctioned for that season does Ole get a winners medal??? He would then be that + one saved/scored penalty away from a double!

See people don't understand. Alot of people don't like to put context into play.

He was hired as an interim manager and done really well, considering where United were under Jose, so it was almost as if he had to get the job. People can now cry about "He shouldn't have got it in the first place" but lets not lie to ourselves, we all enjoyed that run.

Secondly, he started of crap in the next season but got top 4 but people said, Covid, Leicester and Chelsea bottled.
He got 2nd year after, again reaching semi's and finals, then was said, it was not the same Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal.. bla bla bla.

Fast forward this season, do you think we will hear those fans saying, "we are getting top 4 only because Liverpool, Chelsea are shit", or will they cream their pants over Ten Hag?

How can you call a manager tactically clueless when he holds the run for most away games without defeat?

Right, so I would like to see the same energy for Ten Hag.

So you are talking about FA cup semi, League cup semi, Europa semi, Europa Final are all cup runs not many care about is your personal opinion.

I actually care about every cup, I would be very pleased with top 4 and League cup this season.

I hope you have the same energy at the end of the season, if Ten Hag does not win the PL, because it seems in your eyes, only winning the PL / CL means the manager has done well, otherwise they are not tactically good.

If ten hag finishes significantly above 6th I'll be happy, if he wins the fa Cup and league Cup, but doesn't get top 4 I'll be disappointed, if in 3 years time which is how long ole got, he isn't challenging for the title he should be gone, presuming he's given the same level of resources ole got. Ole took over a team that had just finished the season a few months prior with 81 points and he never reached that or really got close, ten hag took over a team that finished 6th, over a full season, and had cavani have aged signifocantly and greenwood be arrested from the team that finished 2nd with 74 points, so he wasn't inheriting such a strong side. He's turned rashford into a genuine world class player, he's massively improving things but if 3 years in he's still a mile off city it'll be time to say goodbye, we're Manchester United, being in and around the top 4 should not be the height of your ambition

Your posts reek of someone who was pissed off that Ole got the gig in the first place, so why should I bother continuing to debate this when you clearly have your own biased agenda?

Or Jose fan who believes Jose wasn't backed?

Ah I see, so we're moving into the realms of fantasy debate now.

My point is that if Ole wasn't sabotaged by Woodward and the Glazers and bought who he actually wanted, we'd have bought Haland and Bellingham and won the PL twice and the CL once. That's my alternate universe debate.

OK let's ignore the fantasy. If in the summer of 2019, someone had said to you we'll give ole 440m worth of signings over the next 3 years, would you really have been happy with a couple of cup runs (but no trophies) and nothing even resembling a title challenge?

If ten hag finishes significantly above 6th I'll be happy, if he wins the fa Cup and league Cup, but doesn't get top 4 I'll be disappointed, if in 3 years time which is how long ole got, he isn't challenging for the title he should be gone, presuming he's given the same level of resources ole got. Ole took over a team that had just finished the season a few months prior with 81 points and he never reached that or really got close, ten hag took over a team that finished 6th, over a full season, and had cavani have aged signifocantly and greenwood be arrested from the team that finished 2nd with 74 points, so he wasn't inheriting such a strong side. He's turned rashford into a genuine world class player, he's massively improving things but if 3 years in he's still a mile off city it'll be time to say goodbye, we're Manchester United, being in and around the top 4 should not be the height of your ambition

Oh here we go, Ole has to win PL / CL but Ten hag has to finish 6th and a cup that in your words that no one cares about.

Okay, Ten Hag took over a team that finished 2nd, got EL final, League cup semi less than 12 months before, if you want to use that for Ole, lets use it for Ten Hag too.

Oh so Ten Hag has turned Rashford into this forward has he? Forget Rashford's 22 goals 12 assists in 19/20, that was championship forward quality right? or 20/21 where he got 21 goals 15 assist?

Right right, he didnt inherit a good team but Ole did ?

I'd suggest you actually go have a look at the teams both took over.

The funny thing though is, under Ten Hag you are happy for FA cup / League cup but said its trophies no one cared about... so make your mind up will you?

Oh here we go, Ole has to win PL / CL but Ten hag has to finish 6th and a cup that in your words that no one cares about.

Okay, Ten Hag took over a team that finished 2nd, got EL final, League cup semi less than 12 months before, if you want to use that for Ole, lets use it for Ten Hag too.

Oh so Ten Hag has turned Rashford into this forward has he? Forget Rashford's 22 goals 12 assists in 19/20, that was championship forward quality right? or 20/21 where he got 21 goals 15 assist?

Right right, he didnt inherit a good team but Ole did ?

I'd suggest you actually go have a look at the teams both took over.

The funny thing though is, under Ten Hag you are happy for FA cup / League cup but said its trophies no one cared about... so make your mind up will you?

Ten hag has to finish top 4 this year, cups are irrelevant, a nice bonus but not what he'll be judged on. And he needs to be challenging for the title within 3 years, that's the minimum.

The team ole took over was identical to the team that finished with 81 points, the team Ten Hag took over had lost pogba, cavani, greenwood, matic etc.

I'm not holding ole to higher standards, if Ten Hag is here for 3 years and we're still miles off city then he's done a bad job