Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Managerial Watch

If he wasnt a United legend as a player, he wouldnt be United manager, nobody outside United rate him so anyone that cares about their football club and isnt dumb will not touch him with a barge pool.
That's complete nonsense.

He's a million times better manager than the likes of Rooney and Lampard who've had no shortage of offers.

It was very clear from his appearance on The Overlap, that the final season with United had taken a huge toll on him mentally and he clearly needed some time away afterwards.
The guy absolutely loves the club and was devastated with how it ended.

I'm sure he's had plenty of decent offers in his time off but wasn't interested.

Whatever people think of Ole I find it astounding he's struggled to get a job since United. He guided us to second in the league and took us to the Europa final.

He's won a league title with Molde which isn't one of the bigger Norwegian clubs as well. The Cardiff job was a mistake as it was an impossible job. That said other managers have got more chances after failing at clubs.

That's complete nonsense.

He's a million times better manager than the likes of Rooney and Lampard who've had no shortage of offers.

It was very clear from his appearance on The Overlap, that the final season with United had taken a huge toll on him mentally and he clearly needed some time away afterwards.
The guy absolutely loves the club and was devastated with how it ended.

I'm sure he's had plenty of decent offers in his time off but wasn't interested.

Yea mile long line was formed for his services, surely, decent offers in Bulgaria maybe. Saying something is nonsense and then saying how he is MILLION times better than Rooney and Lampard, now thats funny.

Whatever people think of Ole I find it astounding he's struggled to get a job since United. He guided us to second in the league and took us to the Europa final.

He's won a league title with Molde which isn't one of the bigger Norwegian clubs as well. The Cardiff job was a mistake as it was an impossible job. That said other managers have got more chances after failing at clubs.
But if you’re a club owner which part of his experience are you looking at and thinking ‘that’s great’? What kind of club would take the risk?

Add in, by his own admission, he isn’t hands on and believes in the latter years SAF model of overseer and all clubs now seem to be moving to the ‘head coach’ model who basically has to make do with whatever players he is given.

I think Ole is not an attractive proposition for the same reason he wouldn't have been at United and it's that his approach isn't something a modern club can build on.

He played transition football with the defense absorbing pressure, offered next to no alternatives when the impetus was on the team to attack and dominate a game.

Respectfully in the overlap interview he highlighted seeing the need to kick on from this philosophy which he signified being the "next step" so in comparison to Erik they are light years apart when it comes to self-awareness.

We also have to think that Ole / Jose were let go due to the players throwing in the towel, it's catastrophic that Erik has dragged the club to a standard far worse then his former two appointments all the while having the players onside and still performing for him.

It's an almost frightening graphic to imagine where this club would be if the players did indeed down tools with the added incompetence of such a poor manager.

Solskjaer needed to go but the one element that destroys Erik is the details when assessed critically, he is easily the worst of the bunch subjectively at least.

Yet here we are, seeing some of our own fans clamouring to bring Ole back.

edit: this is the exact reason, why I am worried about giving ETH the sack. I am happy to let him go but the "shortsighted" (lets phrase it like that) is way too alarming in the fanbase, to not be worried about it effecting the decisionmakers as well.
What's wrong with bringing Ole back on an interim basis? Last time it worked out for us. As long as we don't give him the full time gig, we should be fine.

Other clubs also bring in interim coaches when the going gets tough. I remember Chelsea and Hiddink back in the day or even Juve and Allegri. It's not all negative, just like Ole's tennure wasn't all negative.

Until we find a good candidate to take us forward, I don't see any issues with Ole.

What's wrong with bringing Ole back on an interim basis? Last time it worked out for us. As long as we don't give him the full time gig, we should be fine.

Other clubs also bring in interim coaches when the going gets tough. I remember Chelsea and Hiddink back in the day or even Juve and Allegri. It's not all negative, just like Ole's tennure wasn't all negative.

Until we find a good candidate to take us forward, I don't see any issues with Ole.

Was Hidding fired though? I cant remember. Ole was fired. Lampard was fired and rehired as interim, that didnt work out too well.

Was Hidding fired though? I cant remember. Ole was fired. Lampard was fired and rehired as interim, that didnt work out too well.
Ole was fired because he did what ETH did. He tried playing a pressing and possession game with players that weren't suited for it. He also had to accommodate Ronaldo, who refused to press, which completely unravelled his tactics.

Up until we signed Ronaldo, we looked like a decent team. If you remember we started the 3rd season by hammering Leeds. At the time Ronaldo looked like the missing piece to help us win some trophies.

Unpopular opinion but I think Ole was better than ETH, and the best manager United had since Fergie!

He definitely had mentality and personality an United manager should have, evident of his media presence.

His reputation of being not up par tactically is unfair IMO, as he had a great record against Guardiola and he ofted showed great flexibility on his tactics based on the opponent.

Unpopular opinion but I think Ole was better than ETH, and the best manager United had since Fergie!

He definitely had mentality and personality an United manager should have, evident of his media presence.

His reputation of being not up par tactically is unfair IMO, as he had a great record against Guardiola and he ofted showed great flexibility on his tactics based on the opponent.
Unpopular? No! A lot agree with you, me included! ETH has created the biggest disappointment post-Fergie.

Nowadays ETH makes me crave for LVG’s “philosophy”.

Keeping results aside, the only time I stopped watching games was when LVG was our manager. It was dour, tumescent, and anemic. Nothing really happened. I would have even preferred a loss while taking risks than that borefeat.

Yesterday, after a long time I got that feeling again.

Our best manager post Fergie was Mourinho with 2 trophies and 81 points in the league (When we finished 2nd).

Yes he was so good that he is out of a job for years now and has Molde and Cardiff on his resume apart from failing at United.

If we brought him back as interim, he'd get us top 4 no doubt.
The CL money would then cover the bald frauds pay off.

Surely all the ruckus around Manchester United has raised his stock?

Surprised he's still not picked up a job.

Yes he was so good that he is out of a job for years now and has Molde and Cardiff on his resume apart from failing at United.
He has had offers... Maybe not at the highest level, but certainly above Molde and Cardiff.

Yea mile long line was formed for his services, surely, decent offers in Bulgaria maybe. Saying something is nonsense and then saying how he is MILLION times better than Rooney and Lampard, now thats funny.
He said on The Overlap he’s had Prem offers and he also got offered the Bayern job, allbeit interim but good enough for Bayern but not United eh?

Last time didn't work out for us. And your reaction is exactly the reason why we should stay away as far as possible. With all due respect but some fans seem to be "gullible" enough (not sure, thats the best, most precise, most polite word but lets go with it) to simply fall for a good story even when they witnessed what consequences on the sports side of things there were. Ole lifted the mood, his "arm around the shoulder" approach was exactly the right thing after Mourinho but he was out of his depth and it was visible as early as to the end of his interim period. Of course, sentimental and shortsighted as the decision makers were, he was given the permanent job at this point already - somethng that was celebrated viciously back then. And while he was able to deliver good and sometimes very good results, it was clear as day that he wasn't doing anything to evolve us as a team. In a time, where all our competitors have made organized pressing, positional play and ball retention their thing, we acted as if it is still 2003. With him, our team had exactly one route to improve: bring in better players. He wasn't going to improve anything on the training pitch. His time with us was one big side step in which we stood still while rivals evolved, burning quite a lot of cash and, even though I am sure, he didn't do it intentionally, created a very suboptimal attitude around some players that we are in parts still suffering from.

And yes - all that and I'd still list him as the best of our coaches since SAF. But being the best of a bad bunch can't be the reason to bring somebody back.
You compare Ole to Hiddink and Allegri? Ok. Got it.
I am sure you don't. Lets hope that the decision makers put a little more thought into it.

He said on The Overlap he’s had Prem offers and he also got offered the Bayern job, allbeit interim but good enough for Bayern but not United eh?
Yeah never have there been lies or intentional misrepresentations of things on tv or internet shows. Thank god.

So far our best manager for me post Fergie is Jose Mourinho

2 trophies in Season 1
2nd in PL with 81 points in Season 2

So far our best manager for me post Fergie is Jose Mourinho

2 trophies in Season 1
2nd in PL with 81 points in Season 2

Yeah, the only time across the past eleven years I had even an inkling we might be back, was under Mourinho. The other time was when we went on that mini run under LVG beating Liverpool at Anfield in style.

Yeah, the only time across the past eleven years I had even an inkling we might be back, was under Mourinho. The other time was when we went on that mini run under LVG beating Liverpool at Anfield in style.

that was fun. City 4-2 a week later iirc too

Same. That start of 17/18 season was the only time I genuinely thought we can challenge for the league and do well in the Champions League. First season Mou won EL and league cup, we bought Lukaku who started the season really well and I was very optimistic

To be fair, Moyes was better than EtH, and Ole was miles better than Ole. Mourinho was easily our best overall manager though, would have Ole as second.

However, all of them are far below the required level to be United's manager.

Last time didn't work out for us. And your reaction is exactly the reason why we should stay away as far as possible. With all due respect but some fans seem to be "gullible" enough (not sure, thats the best, most precise, most polite word but lets go with it) to simply fall for a good story even when they witnessed what consequences on the sports side of things there were. Ole lifted the mood, his "arm around the shoulder" approach was exactly the right thing after Mourinho but he was out of his depth and it was visible as early as to the end of his interim period. Of course, sentimental and shortsighted as the decision makers were, he was given the permanent job at this point already - somethng that was celebrated viciously back then. And while he was able to deliver good and sometimes very good results, it was clear as day that he wasn't doing anything to evolve us as a team. In a time, where all our competitors have made organized pressing, positional play and ball retention their thing, we acted as if it is still 2003. With him, our team had exactly one route to improve: bring in better players. He wasn't going to improve anything on the training pitch. His time with us was one big side step in which we stood still while rivals evolved, burning quite a lot of cash and, even though I am sure, he didn't do it intentionally, created a very suboptimal attitude around some players that we are in parts still suffering from.

And yes - all that and I'd still list him as the best of our coaches since SAF. But being the best of a bad bunch can't be the reason to bring somebody back.

You compare Ole to Hiddink and Allegri? Ok. Got it.

I am sure you don't. Lets hope that the decision makers put a little more thought into it.

Yeah never have there been lies or intentional misrepresentations of things on tv or internet shows. Thank god.
What a way to write a whole lot without saying anything of substance. And I imagine your reading comprehension isn't the best since I specifically said INTERIM, not full time.

Most of our fans would agree, that during Ole's interim stint we looked like a proper United side of the old. We played some very nice attacking football, we won 12 games on the trot which is the most since SAF retired. We also dumped out PSG giving our fans one of the best European nights since Barcelona at OT in 2008.

Say what you will about the man, but in that short amount of time he made us exciting and the fans hopeful, especially after Mourinho soured up the place with his usual toxicity. So we would definitely need something like this right now. A good run of games to improve our side's confidence(which is at an all time low) and qualify for Europe, so when we appoint the next manager in the summer, he has a good starting base to work from.

It's not that unpopular... No mediocre manager finishes top 4 twice in a row in the premier league doesn't matter which team he is coaching. I maintain that if this club had a functional set up at board nd top management level, he time here would be a little more successful. Help with Recruitment and a proper Technical Director to help with developing a game model would have helped him massively. Would we have gotten to City's level, most probably not but we would have been much closer than we are today.

What a way to write a whole lot without saying anything of substance. And I imagine your reading comprehension isn't the best since I specifically said INTERIM, not full time.
I noticed that. And it was exactly what people said when he took over from Mou. And then Paris happened and all of a sudden...
Most of our fans would agree, that during Ole's interim stint we looked like a proper United side of the old. We played some very nice attacking football, we won 12 games on the trot which is the most since SAF retired. We also dumped out PSG giving our fans one of the best European nights since Barcelona at OT in 2008. Say what you will about the man, but in that short amount of time he made us exciting and the fans hopeful, especially after Mourinho soured up the place with his usual toxicity.
Maybe you are better off, getting Season review DVDs from the past. The old days are over. United sides of old wouldn't fare well these days (without adaptation) and just because you felt all those things, doesn't mean "all fans" did. Sorry to inform you, but there is stuff happening outside of your life as well.

And I really have no clue what you mean with "very nice attacking football". Because we certainly didn't throughout games and his best period was when most opponents still thought they could have a go at us not realizing how efficient we became on the counter. Context matters. But to close that loop, I am happy you had a good time. Just keep in mind, not anybody had.
So we would definitely need something like this right now. A good run of games to improve our side's confidence(which is at an all time low) and qualify for Europe, so when we appoint the next manager in the summer, he has a good starting base to work from.
Look at you, being so happy even thinking about it. And you want to tell me you wouldn't start to feel dizzy when there might be the prospect to give old Olly another run?

Don't take it personal, I know, you mean well. The topic winds me up. As much as I can see why you have positive memories about that time, I remember me saying that this is a bad idea as soon as there was talk starting about him taking the permanent role. And I feel that I was right because we didn't do one step into the right direction.

He did enough dmg to United but sure so many offers he said, he should accept one, i am sure United money will run out one day.

Sometimes appearance is everything.

Solskjaer is not a bad manager and can surely work at least in the Championship, but he became a bit of a laughing stock around England. I'd imagine club owners would avoid appointing him just because they'll fear supporters reaction. I mean, how many fans would be excited over this appointment?

Sometimes appearance is everything.

Solskjaer is not a bad manager and can surely work at least in the Championship, but he became a bit of a laughing stock around England. I'd imagine club owners would avoid appointing him just because they'll fear supporters reaction. I mean, how many fans would be excited over this appointment?
He can work in the Championship? He took us to 2nd. He's a PL level manager, maybe not the top teams but good enough for a mid to lower side IMO.

He can work in the Championship? He took us to 2nd. He's a PL level manager, maybe not the top teams but good enough for a mid to lower side IMO.

Might not be fair due to circumstances, but probably his history with Cardiff does not make him attractive to this level of clubs.

With players that are now playing in Turkey, Korea etc. Maguire/Lindelof centre back pairing.