Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Managerial Watch

Well he recently stated he'd be keen on the Norway job which will become available next tournament, and I think we all know he'd gladly say yes to United if they come calling, even if it's a temporary gig, and our higher-ups recently had a meeting where Ten Hag's future most likely was discussed. So it could be us.

This has happened every few months since he was sacked. He's been close to the Denmark gig a handful of times the past couple of years only for the reports to suggest that he is talking to a club - and then nothing happens. He was rumoured to be close to the Ireland job a few months back, heavy favourite with the bookies and a lot of strong rumours around League of Ireland grounds - and then nothing happened. This will be the same.

Not sure about Milan doing well on that list, not anywhere near sack the manager stage but been very hit and miss.
I think the pressure has ramped up again on Fonseca after losing to Fiorentina. Saw a report in the Italian media (not sure how reliable tbf) saying he's got three games to save his job.

"Club" could be lost in translation. What if it's the England job?

What would be the translation error? The article specified they approached him for the "landstrænerjob" (international coach) but that he passed on discussions because he's negotiating with a "stor klub" (big club) for a "cheftrænerjob" (head coach).

There's likely not a chance of mistranslations between Norwegian/Danish either since for the most part we understand each others languages. Plus the fact that those words are quite distinguishable from each other. Same words in Norwegian are landslagstrener and klubbtrener.

Of course, there's still a chance of a misunderstanding somewhere. But there should be no language mixups here.

He is most likely negotiating with a big club, but it doesn't need to be United.
Of course, he has seemingly turned down most offers cause they haven't seemed motivating enough, probably because most things after United feels like a letdown.

He already has a legendary career as a player, which at least until lately wasn't common among managers. So he probably has less need to prove himself as a manager of different clubs to build a legacy that way.

But I really do hope he comes back in for United. It would certainly lift my spirits and make me look forward to our matches with excitement, instead of dread like I have for the past year.

Very hypothetical but Ole winning the World Cup with England would be the dystopian future we all secretly long for.

"Club" could be lost in translation. What if it's the England job?
Genuinely could be, if the chiefs want continuity of tactics and prioritise a squad being happy and not causing drama, then why not. He's better than Southgate.

For the love of god dont we have better candidate than Ole or Southgate?

Just keep hiring the best manager and sack if they dont work. We dont have a crystal ball so might as well do what every succesful club does. If we happen to find the next SAF along the way then it's the bonus.

I see managers going in and implement their ideas, 2 season max and we see their idea. We're heading on 3 seasons and still dont know what sort of football we're aiming for.

Genuinely could be, if the chiefs want continuity of tactics and prioritise a squad being happy and not causing drama, then why not. He's better than Southgate.

This group of players dont deserve no drama. They're not performing. Not rocking the boat might be considered a safe approach only if they're playing well.

I wont bat an eyelid if we snap 50% of the squad Thanos style. Half the squad are shite

Wolves and Southampton are in more precarious spots than us. We will also be waiting as long as we can with Dyche as it would be better to change under the new owners than before. I still think the plan is to change in the summer unless we are in a really dangerous position at Christmas.

He's been offered better than championship level after United.

We'll never know for sure what he's been offered until he actually takes a job.

Avram Grant finished second with Chelse and nearly won the CL. He did end up getting the West Ham job, and got them relegated. And that was it, except for a tenure at Portsmouth when they went to administration, and he only got the job there because of his connections, first as DOF and then as manager.

Having decent achievements doesn't always mean you're appreciated.

We'll never know for sure what he's been offered until he actually takes a job.

Avram Grant finished second with Chelse and nearly won the CL. He did end up getting the West Ham job, and got them relegated. And that was it, except for a tenure at Portsmouth when they went to administration, and he only got the job there because of his connections, first as DOF and then as manager.

Having decent achievements doesn't always mean you're appreciated.
You can't equate performance in a cup competition to having a 2nd and 3rd place finish in the PL over 38 games.

Di Matteo won the UCL for example, it can be fluked. A full season can't.

I always hear of him being close to a gig and then it going to someone else

You can't equate performance in a cup competition to having a 2nd and 3rd place finish in the PL over 38 games.

Di Matteo won the UCL for example, it can be fluked. A full season can't.

Grant finished second in the league in a nearly full season.

Look, what I'm saying is that perception counts. Grant was considered a bit of a laughing stock and I don't think people around England looked at Solskjaer and thought was he doing really well at United. That's just not going to help when clubs look to appoint a new manager and look at you.

That's what you thought before he got it the first time.

The Ole redemption arc will be the greatest entertainment saga seen for a long time!
No it actually wasn't. I wouldn't put silly decisions past the previous owners. I think we have sensible ones this time though.

wow. Ole had an impressive run of games until Ronaldo arrived. The highest peak for the last 12y. He was only a trophy away from being a success. The Ronaldo effect is clearly expressed in the figure.

I don’t want Ole back by the way, and regarding “the talks with a major club” I think we can exclude Italian- or other Latinoclubs. Most likely bottom-end of PL or a club in Bundesliga.

Last edited:

It's a little hard to believe that our performance was worse under LvG (4th and 5th, very good big club record) than under Moyes (6th, lost to every big club by bad margins).
The unsmoothed lines do make slightly more sense - the big drop a few months into Moyes, the drastic drop in the last 6 months of Jose and the big pickup during Ole's interim spell, ETH's very good first season, are all totally missed in the smoothed line but visible in the thin jagged line. But even the unsmoothed line has LvG consistently under Moyes.

It probably weighs things from 6-12 months ago in the number (like chess elo or tennis rankings do) a bit too heavily to capture what's going on.

I doubt Ineos would want to retread an Ole appointment unless their target is only available next summer and some players are saying they would prefer Ole over ETH, a lot have left though.

Ole was a figure of fun for the oppo fans singing Ole's at the wheel. Not only that I think we was helped by Bruno arriving at this peak and making our strikers of the time work well in the counter. Before Bruno we had collapsed at the end of the previous season culminating in a home loss to Cardiff no less and 4-0 thrashing away to Everton. His first full season we were bottom half for a long period before Bruno arrived, From March to Jan we were similar to now actually.

For the love of god dont we have better candidate than Ole or Southgate?

Just keep hiring the best manager and sack if they dont work. We dont have a crystal ball so might as well do what every succesful club does. If we happen to find the next SAF along the way then it's the bonus.

I see managers going in and implement their ideas, 2 season max and we see their idea. We're heading on 3 seasons and still dont know what sort of football we're aiming for.
I think, measuring coaches in such way, good and bad, is what led us where we are. Look at Potter, certainly a good coach for Brighton, apparently not good enough coach for Chelsea. Context matters, we should have a profile in place what we are looking for in a manager. This whole stuff of good or bad bright us 10 years of misery.
That's what you thought before he got it the first time.

The Ole redemption arc will be the greatest entertainment saga seen for a long time!
This should be this bow closed in which role the fans might play in our misery... Longing for emotional stories while ignoring what happens on the pitch. "We won, so we must have played well..."
wow. Ole had an impressive run of games until Ronaldo arrived. The highest peak for the last 12y. He was only a trophy away from being a success. The Ronaldo effect is clearly expressed in the figure.

I don’t want Ole back by the way, and regarding “the talks with a major club” I think we can exclude Italian- or other Latinoclubs. Most likely bottom-end of PL or a club in Bundesliga.
He didn't. Thats total BS. I honor Ole by saying that throughout his time here, he was able to get generally good results but convincing performances worthy of a real challenger were almost non existant. I think, we were close to City at one point in december or january in his 2nd place season and then managed to throw it away in spectacular fashion. Horrible displays where we started games very very poorly, only to get back to an average level in the 2nd half - his managed convinced themselves that this is comeback quality... After a few weeks, there were what, like 14 points between City and us, we played them and got a result and celebrated it even if it meant nothing at all. Pep didn't even care to adjust his tactics to us. The games against us that mattered that year, think it was league cup, they brushed us aside. And to top that season, we managed to play 120minutes against a very average Villareal team without coming close to scoring.

Reading takes like the bolded parts are pure crazisness to me.

Would love him to come back just to see VP89 reactions, HAHAHAHAHA!

On serious note hed be brilliant for Rasmus, Zirkzee, Amad, and Garnacho's developments.

This should be this bow closed in which role the fans might play in our misery... Longing for emotional stories while ignoring what happens on the pitch. "We won, so we must have played well..."

I know it's difficult to interpret when it's just text online.. but often some of the stuff people post is satire. Or me willing into existence.

Yes I would love Ole to get another shot at this with a proper footballing structure behind him. Do I absolutely think it will lead to a fairytale ending? No of course I can't imagine that. I would hope for the best, but I'd certainly think it would be better than what we have been served over the last year.

If Ineos struggles with finding their long-term permanent manager I would much more like they persist with Solskjær instead of Ten Hag.

I think, measuring coaches in such way, good and bad, is what led us where we are. Look at Potter, certainly a good coach for Brighton, apparently not good enough coach for Chelsea. Context matters, we should have a profile in place what we are looking for in a manager. This whole stuff of good or bad bright us 10 years of misery.

He didn't. Thats total BS. I honor Ole by saying that throughout his time here, he was able to get generally good results but convincing performances worthy of a real challenger were almost non existant. I think, we were close to City at one point in december or january in his 2nd place season and then managed to throw it away in spectacular fashion. Horrible displays where we started games very very poorly, only to get back to an average level in the 2nd half - his managed convinced themselves that this is comeback quality... After a few weeks, there were what, like 14 points between City and us, we played them and got a result and celebrated it even if it meant nothing at all. Pep didn't even care to adjust his tactics to us. The games against us that mattered that year, think it was league cup, they brushed us aside. And to top that season, we managed to play 120minutes against a very average Villareal team without coming close to scoring.

Reading takes like the bolded parts are pure crazisness to me.

Except Potter wasnt great, he's just hipster choices

Good managers are names like Pep, Simeone, Ancelotti, Klopp, we're talking about top tier managers. Not some cut from the same cloth young potentially the next Ferguson type of managers

ETH wasnt even that great. He shine on 1 game against Madrid and we lap him up as some kind of pedigree.

To the very least the command the respect tk handle the like of Rashford

It's a little hard to believe that our performance was worse under LvG (4th and 5th, very good big club record) than under Moyes (6th, lost to every big club by bad margins).
The unsmoothed lines do make slightly more sense - the big drop a few months into Moyes, the drastic drop in the last 6 months of Jose and the big pickup during Ole's interim spell, ETH's very good first season, are all totally missed in the smoothed line but visible in the thin jagged line. But even the unsmoothed line has LvG consistently under Moyes.

It probably weighs things from 6-12 months ago in the number (like chess elo or tennis rankings do) a bit too heavily to capture what's going on.
We did control games under LVG but we were very impotent in attack. I wouldn't mind us muddling through with some boring football until ten Hag gets replaced.

There’s an implicit lag effect, in that each outcome is influenced by your current ranking. Which means that if you’re highly ranked compared to your opponents, you’ll gain fewer / lose more points for a win or a loss.

Conversely, when you’re lower ranked you’ll gain more points for each favourable result, making it comparatively easier to improve your standing with a streak of good results.

When Moyes took over, we were highly ranked. The results he got us didn’t see us immediately drop down the rankings, but rather slowly erode our elo standing. When LVG comes in, even if the results are a slight improvement on what we saw from Moyes, it isn’t enough to stem the tide and keep our rank from falling.

It also probably didn’t help LVG that “ClubElo” takes into account “offensiveness” and “goal difference”. See http://clubelo.com/System

After reading this thread you would think he's been turning down the likes of Chelsea and Barcelona. :lol:

The reality is the best he could hope for is a lower bottom PL side.

I know it's difficult to interpret when it's just text online.. but often some of the stuff people post is satire. Or me willing into existence.

Yes I would love Ole to get another shot at this with a proper footballing structure behind him. Do I absolutely think it will lead to a fairytale ending? No of course I can't imagine that. I would hope for the best, but I'd certainly think it would be better than what we have been served over the last year.

If Ineos struggles with finding their long-term permanent manager I would much more like they persist with Solskjær instead of Ten Hag.
Fair enough and each to their own obviously. I think, it would be a complete waste of time. A little like his first stint here after the interim period.

Except Potter wasnt great, he's just hipster choices

Good managers are names like Pep, Simeone, Ancelotti, Klopp, we're talking about top tier managers. Not some cut from the same cloth young potentially the next Ferguson type of managers
He was a hipster choice because of what the achieved with Brighton. Talking about whether he was good or great or something in between is, as I said, Voodoo stuff because it is just subjective. He was a perfect fit for Brighton at the time he was there and considering what he achieved, it would be, in my eyes at least, daft to say he isn't a good coach because he was a very good coach in the conditions that Brighton provided.

You call Pep and Ancelotti good, I'd call them great, this is why using this stuff is as pointless as I wanted to say in my previous post.

ETH wasnt even that great. He shine on 1 game against Madrid and we lap him up as some kind of pedigree.
He was very promising. On a similar level as some of the names that are now thrown around when talking about who should take over. He was the right choice at the time, a modern coach who was able to create two very good teams at Ajax. That means something. Obviously it isn't a guarantee for success but there is no such thing anyway.

Makes me question your memory.

Firstly we did score in that match, secondly we had 2 or 3 really good chances.
I am sorry, I forgot the one goal we scored after going in behind after 30 minutes. Doesn't change much, xG was 0.9 both and we had the majority of the ball giving us 120minutes of a symbolic showing that opposition was just fining giving us the ball knowing that we were not able to do much with it. It was a bad game, had we won it in the shootout, it would have still been a disappointing game even though I am sure, given the outcome-dependency of some parts of the fanbase, it would have been hailed as a great game that brought us a title.

I am sorry, I forgot the one goal we scored after going in behind after 30 minutes. Doesn't change much, xG was 0.9 both and we had the majority of the ball giving us 120minutes of a symbolic showing that opposition was just fining giving us the ball knowing that we were not able to do much with it. It was a bad game, had we won it in the shootout, it would have still been a disappointing game even though I am sure, given the outcome-dependency of some parts of the fanbase, it would have been hailed as a great game that brought us a title.

I don't really buy into xg all that much and I remember Cavani had a couple of really good chances outside the goal. I think you just don't remember the game very well which is fine.

It was a tight game, we didn't play great or terribly. If the overall point you are trying to make is that Utd struggled against a low block under Ole then to a degree that is right.

I don't really buy into xg all that much and I remember Cavani had a couple of really good chances outside the goal. I think you just don't remember the game very well which is fine.

It was a tight game, we didn't play great or terribly. If the overall point you are trying to make is that Utd struggled against a low block under Ole then to a degree that is right.
You might be right, I tend to get to a certain conclusion about a game and then remember that conclusion rather than individual events. That being said, this here was the first highlights reel that popped in my youtube search - Youtube highlights - and I kind of feel I remembered the match just fine. Our goal was a bit of a pinball moment where Cavani was the first to react, not really something we created in my book and apart from that, I don't consider any of the chances shown as good chances. Maybe the Rashford one but commentary suggests it would have been offside anyway.

It was a tight game and we didn't play terribly. But we were absolutely bereft of penetration and unable to create notable chances. Which was the story of the season in my eyes. Ole brought us into that final, don't want to take that away from him, but all the talk about that entertainment and stuff, I think, it is just as overblown as some of the criticism that he got later down the line. He had one plan and that worked pretty well in the beginning and the deeper into his tenure the more opponents were aware and simply pulled the plug on us.