Noussair Mazraoui | has signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people just talk rubbish having never seen him play or having no awareness of his stats. He's a very good fullback who will be an upgrade going forwards.
Agreed. Personally I think he’s an upgrade on even Dalot and expect him to be first choice pretty quickly. Even if that’s not the case he’s a more than able deputy that suits us much more than AWB

I'm a bit shocked how negative people are about him. I can half-understand the injury record, but we aren't signing him to be first choice.
To say he's a downgrade on AWB is quite ludicrous.
Not when we already have Shaw and Malacia as crocks. 3 fullbacks as injury prone players is crazy work.

It does feel like a bit of a rushed transfer to get some money in for AWB before he leaves for free. But also not spend too much as Shaw/Dalot in a perfect world would be first choice most of the games.

Full backs are just a real messy group at United.

15m for AWB vs 20m for Mazraoui is not terrible.

I'm a bit shocked how negative people are about him. I can half-understand the injury record, but we aren't signing him to be first choice.
Just cause he can dribble better than AWB doesn’t mean he is better. He is worse defensively. AWB is at least used to the league. There will be a bedding in period as it is and he will miss even more time due to injuries which makes him getting used to the league longer.

He's certainly an upgrade on AWB when both are on the pitch.

Whether he's an upgrade to the squad really depends on how much he stays fit though. AWB only started 26 games for us last season, but for an awful lot of them we had no other fullbacks in the squad to provide any further cover. We were really depending on both his and Dalot's availability in those games.

From the club's POV though I think the key point is a financial one. Rather than get absolutely nothing for AWB when he leaves this summer, they can replace him this summer with a better player for minimal net cost in a deal that also has a positive PSR impact. From that perspective they likely see it as low-risk as swapping out AWB now brought in approx. 15m they wouldn't have otherwise got.

We clearly dont want AWB anymore anyways, so any comparisons to him are not very relevant?

With Shaw being just as much of a crock, and Malacia finished, he will soon be the only choice. And after he is out as well, there won't be anyone else but an academy kid.

But I agree that quality-wise, he is an upgrade on AWB. But he has to be available for that and that's the big issue. Availability is the best ability.

If Ugarte is signed too, Mazraoui will be a good addition/foil to add more progressive passing when he drops into midfield.

People need to understand, it's either
1. AWB is given a new contract

Or

2. We sign Mazraoui.

That's the main problem to solve. AWB is a free agent by 2025. So it's either he's sold now, to avoid him going for free or he's given a new contract to preserve his value.

My bigger issue with him than the injuries are his political views and attitude towards LGBTQ people

It surprises me how people don't view our squad from a holistic point of view. They want a side that can progress the ball, but want to keep AWB incase we have 3 games a season when he can come on to do a job against a winger.

We need to be able to bring in players that allow us to be more progressive with the ball, Mazraoui does that, AWB doesnt.

We also have Amass coming through. So does it not make more sense to have an experienced player who can cover both sides equally, whilst we are bedding Amass into the squad?

Again, you need to view the squad holistically.

My bigger issue with him than the injuries are his political views and attitude towards LGBTQ people
Think it's quite overstated tbh, we've had plenty of players of devout Muslim faith in the past and we've never had any issues in relation to their tolerance or views towards others or the clubs diversity initiatives.

Don't think him saying 'God bless you' on a friends post is reason enough to think that he'd be a bad apple character wise

Dalot is not good enough for us to suddenly be looking for average 2nd choice RBs. But from the clips, Mazroui does seem to have ability so let’s see how well he adapts. Certainly a better fit for front foot football than Awb.

See above. No he’s not.
You can’t really compare AWB’s stats in a harder, faster, better league, in a team that was the furthest thing from dominant, to this guy’s stats playing in the perennial champions and against opponents that make Kagawa and Mkhitaryan look like world beaters.

Beyond that, a 5 year contract is madness. Look how Telles and Malacia were supposed to be pushing Shaw but instead were woefully out of their depth. Just like we got Weghorst on some short term deal, we should be offering an injury prone 27 year-old untested in the best league in the world a rolling contract. He’s not going to be facing opponents like St. Pauli and Bochum.

And I think alienating parts of our fanbase is a terrible idea. It’s up there with bringing Greenwood back into the team. Speaking of St. Pauli, their fans would fecking riot if this guy was even mooted as a possible transfer, and that’s without Jewish owners like the Glazers.

Last edited:
I must say, I didn't see this level of histrionics coming at all over this :lol:

Ironically enough, he was actually a popular shout on here for RB 2 years ago when he left Ajax. Seemingly become public enemy no.1 on the Cafe since then

I'm miffed at people doubting his qualities as a player, if it wasn't for his injury issues I'd have zero issues with us signing him, but then I doubt he'd even be for sale if that was the case.

His quality checks out based on the eye test and stats, the worry is his injury record, and it is understandable why so many on here are concerned with the signing.

Is there similar options in the market?

It surprises me how people don't view our squad from a holistic point of view. They want a side that can progress the ball, but want to keep AWB incase we have 3 games a season when he can come on to do a job against a winger.

We need to be able to bring in players that allow us to be more progressive with the ball, Mazraoui does that, AWB doesnt.

We also have Amass coming through. So does it not make more sense to have an experienced player who can cover both sides equally, whilst we are bedding Amass into the squad?

Again, you need to view the squad holistically.
Its suprises me to see Manchester United fans of all people championing the signing of an injury prone player. Shaw, malacia, Jones, Bailly, martial etc arent you all tired of it?

Its suprises me to see Manchester United fans of all people championing the signing of an injury prone player. Shaw, malacia, Jones, Bailly, martial etc arent you all tired of it?
AWB and Mazraoui have missed a similar number of games in their career. We need a backup fullback to play both flanks. He likely isn't going to play more than 30 games.

We also have a budget, and out of all the names, he is by far the cheapest one.

Im not opposed to alternatives, I would rather Kadıoğlu. But my point still stands, we need a player who can fill a certain role and Mazroaui is one of the best options for that role.

Buying Bayern's castoffs has never been a good idea. Buying players who have worked with ETH before hasn't gone too well either. Buying players who are injury prone is not a good idea either considering our record with them.

This signing seems a strange one. Would have been better to get the Turkish guy who can do both LB and RB and kill three birds with one stone (not a fan of birds).

Buying Bayern's castoffs has never been a good idea. Buying players who have worked with ETH before hasn't gone too well either. Buying players who are injury prone is not a good idea either considering our record with them.

This signing seems a strange one. Would have been better to get the Turkish guy who can do both LB and RB and kill three birds with one stone (not a fan of birds).
I think the main problem is financial availability. Fener rejected a 30m bid from BVB last year, his stocks are even higher this year, no way he's going below 35-40, we cannot afford that.

Honestly I love AWB and wouldn't want to let him go but I guess the team is moving in a direction that needs a different skillset there.

I'm sure the team has done it's due diligence with this signing, regarding his injury record, have to trust the new management. Selling AWB and getting this guy for 5m on top does look like shrewd business especially since he can play on both flanks.

I must say, I didn't see this level of histrionics coming at all over this :lol:

Ironically enough, he was actually a popular shout on here for RB 2 years ago when he left Ajax. Seemingly become public enemy no.1 on the Cafe since then
It’s amazing what a little homophobia and antisemitism can do to a player’s likability.

I've seen many of our flops described as a steal at the time.
Maybe we need a guinea pig for our new medical department. Phil Jones is gone, so has Martial, maybe they need a new specimen to run tests and help out humanity.

In that case he is a bargain for 15m-20m. Plus, he'll surely be on half the wages Martial was on.

We brought in so many new people to the club. Surely at least one of them has a potential RB to recommend.

He is another Telles.

AWB and Mazraoui have missed a similar number of games in their career. We need a backup fullback to play both flanks. He likely isn't going to play more than 30 games.

We also have a budget, and out of all the names, he is by far the cheapest one.

Im not opposed to alternatives, I would rather Kadıoğlu. But my point still stands, we need a player who can fill a certain role and Mazroaui is one of the best options for that role.
Mazraoui has missed 89 games over the past 5 years to Aarons 44 games in 5 years. 21 of those games was last season for Aaron. We needed amrabat and Reguilon to fill in because of Aarons injuries. Aarons 30 games last season were not enough for cover.

Yes there is a budget but this move is based on the short term. Its better to let Aarons contract run down and actually allocate a budget fot 2 fullbacks next summer. Instead of handing out a 5 year contract, possibly worth 130k a week to Mazraoui.

Vanderson and Kadıoğlu could still be available next summer. We would probably pay them a combined 160-200k. But we will make the big risk for short term gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.