Nordic Ghost Yeti (Scandi Carroll) | Haaland at City

Well, let's see.

0.86 xG, which was nearly four times more than the entire Villa team and about 40% of City's team xG.
1 goal scored.
0.44 xA, which was roughly a quarter of City's combined xA, roughly twice what everyone on Villa put together had, and second only to de Bruyne.

So yeah, obviously Mings had tremendous success shutting him down.

And hey, if you think easy finishes into an empty net is typical for him, maybe you should watch one of the many goal compilations out there? You know, instead of making believe that you're actually in a position to say something about his finishing on the basis of having watched a couple of games?
You realize the high xG stat you mentioned is proving my point right? His goal was from 2 yards out. Had Coutinho’s goal stood, what would his xG be according to you and which goal would you say was better finish? I can’t believe I have to explain this simple fact to stat nerd on a football forum.

Hop into Haaland thread and it's a Messi/Neymar discussion, surely you guys have dozen of threads in football forum where you can jerk each other off marveling at their quality?

:lol:
Yeah let's jerk each off over a City player instead.

I understand why the discourse goes there. Halaand is a pure poacher whose general play is mediocre but due to his goal output and the obsession with stats these days he gets put on the same pedestal as all time greats.

He is an absolute fraud and City overpayed for him. He is just a goal merchant and nothing else. Am I doing it right?

You mustn’t have watched Ronaldo bedsides the past 5-6 years then? His dribbling especially between 06-14 was insane……

His ability to skip past players with skill and then to manipulate the ball in the directions he could was so good.
His dribbling back then was always criticised for being ineffective stepovers rather than going past a player. Now his fanbase and YouTube highlights are trying to rewrite that part of history pretending he was some dribbling god in his early days. I’m actually old enough to have watched those years. I feel like the majority claiming that he used to be a dribbling god weren’t around back then themselves.

To think 0.5% of the Caf and pundits thought he'd flop at Man City:lol: :lol: :lol:*

*Obligatory post after every time Haaland scores.

His dribbling back then was always criticised for being ineffective stepovers rather than going past a player. Now his fanbase and YouTube highlights are trying to rewrite that part of history pretending he was some dribbling god in his early days. I’m actually old enough to have watched those years. I feel like the majority claiming that he used to be a dribbling god weren’t around back then themselves.

Cristiano is still the fifth best dribbler stats since dribbling stats were started to be counted.

He is not Messi or Hazard, but he was a top class dribbler in his prime. Saying otherwise is silly.

He along with Messi and Neymar are the only players to complete 20 dribbles in a single match.

You mustn’t have watched Ronaldo bedsides the past 5-6 years then? His dribbling especially between 06-14 was insane……

His ability to skip past players with skill and then to manipulate the ball in the directions he could was so good.
He wasn't like that from 08 on. His 06-07 season was amazing in that regards.

Yeah let's jerk each off over a City player instead.

I mean, this is Erling Haalands thread? Where else are we meant to discuss his qualities and shortcomings?

This thread is turning into another insufferable X vs Y dick-measuring contest which has derailed multiple threads across football forum as well as Man Utd forum. If you and others are so keen at discussing whether Haaland should be compared to all-time greats or why is there obsession with stats or why goals aren't important or whatever gibberish people love to talk senselessly (without ever convincing anyone) then create a new thread. Many others would be happy to join in and discuss.

You are right. And wrong. He was a very good dribbler when he was 17 and 18, but he was also infective because he was immature and he did not pick the situations correctly. Often, he was dribbling just for the sake of dribbling, which was infuriating. After his first two years in the PL, he gradually became much smarter and effective with the ball.

I mean, this is Erling Haalands thread? Where else are we meant to discuss his qualities and shortcomings?

This thread is turning into another insufferable X vs Y dick-measuring contest which has derailed multiple threads across football forum as well as Man Utd forum. If you and others are so keen at discussing whether Haaland should be compared to all-time greats or why is there obsession with stats or why goals aren't important or whatever gibberish people love to talk senselessly (without ever convincing anyone) then create a new thread. Many others would be happy to join in and discuss.
Yes it's the Erling Halaand thread on a United forum not the Erling Halaand jerkoff thread on blue moon shithouse. You're going to get comparisons and criticism here. It's fine if you don't like anyone downplaying his stats or abilities and want to celebrate him. You do you I guess.

Yes it's the Erling Halaand thread on a United forum not the Erling Halaand jerkoff thread on blue moon shithouse. You're going to get comparisons and criticism here. It's fine if you don't like anyone downplaying his stats or abilities and want to celebrate him. You do you I guess.

This is probably my 4th post in this thread, if a striker is scoring 10 goals in 6 games in apparently the toughest league in the world while adjusting to it, then they are going to get plaudits. The comparisons started because a lot of self-proclaimed Einsteins on here think goals don't really matter as much as normal folks think, hence they started dissecting the attributes of the said player to tear them down, while fawning at the technical ability of their said (insert favorite player). Believe me, it is tiring. A lot of us actively try to avoid these sort of comparison threads because nothing comes off it, nobody has ever convinced the other person they were in the wrong. It's the same shit, recycled and repeated ad-nauseam. With same set of people joining in to argue and continue the circle-jerk with those who agree. It only derails the thread.

I'll say it again, if you and others are so keen at gauging the opinion of this forum on his standing amongst greats, or his lack of technical ability compare to peers then go ahead and start a new thread. You'll get more fruitful discussion. In the last few pages I have read how Neymar is a better dribbler and playmaker than Messi, or how Ronaldo was a shit dribbler with playground tricks. It has nothing to do with Erling Haaland or his performances at City. Kindly spare me and others who don't want to revisit this non-sense.

This is probably my 4th post in this thread, if a striker is scoring 10 goals in 6 games in apparently the toughest league in the world while adjusting to it, then they are going to get plaudits. The comparisons started because a lot of self-proclaimed Einsteins on here think goals don't really matter as much as normal folks think, hence they started dissecting the attributes of the said player to tear them down, while fawning at the technical ability of their said (insert favorite player). Believe me, it is tiring. A lot of us actively try to avoid these sort of comparison threads because nothing comes off it, nobody has ever convinced the other person they were in the wrong. It's the same shit, recycled and repeated ad-nauseam. With same set of people joining in to argue and continue the circle-jerk with those who agree. It only derails the thread.

I'll say it again, if you and others are so keen at gauging the opinion of this forum on his standing amongst greats, or his lack of technical ability compare to peers then go ahead and start a new thread. You'll get more fruitful discussion. In the last few pages I have read how Neymar is a better dribbler and playmaker than Messi, or how Ronaldo was a shit dribbler with playground tricks. It has nothing to do with Erling Haaland or his performances at City. Kindly spare me and others who don't want to revisit this non-sense.
Oh no, dissecting the attributes of a City player on a United forum in order to put him down. Blasphemous I say. We should stick to worshipping at his alter instead.

What :confused:

He wasn’t prime Messi in terms of dribbling but he was better than 99.999999% of other players ever at dribbling, carrying the ball, beating a man etc

(This thread is on Haaland but since you insist on bringing this argument) His dribbling was very good in 06/07 season. But after that has declined. Generally, Ronaldo has always required acres of space to beat his opponent because he has mostly relied on pace and power. I watched many of his games at Madrid and all of them at United, and nothing you say about his dribbling is true.

As per the stats of dribbles completed per 90 minutes:
Season 2009/10: 3.3
Season 2010/11: 2.2
Season 2011/12: 2.1
Season 2012/13: 2.0
Season 2013/14: 2.3

Source: https://www.skysports.com/apple-touch-icon.png?bypass-service-worker

These are not stats of a player with "ability to skip past players with skill and then to manipulate the ball in the directions" or of a player who is "better than 99.9999% of other players." Stop creating myths.

Last edited:
Oh no, dissecting the attributes of a City player on a United forum in order to put him down. Blasphemous I say. We should stick to worshipping at his alter instead.

You're being deliberately obtuse because I refuse to believe anyone with 87k posts on a forum can be that thick to have the takeaway from what I wrote. Nowhere did I write you can’t dissect the players attributes. It’s the comparisons and them being spun into their own discussion which was the issue. It’s always the same names and same posters which derail multiple threads because they have to defend their fav player honour. In last few pages, the discussion has gone off on a different tangent compared to the player in the thread title here. Something which I’ve explained you three times. Anyways, this has been a colossal waste of my time. It’s not worth engaging with you further.

I've come to this a bit late. Are people comparing Halaand to Ronaldo... because the guy he reminds me of more is Ruud: the way he seems to hide behind defences, then get back onside unseen to find space. Of course, his build and speed is not Like RvN. As or those saying he's just a "tap in" merchant, so what? The last time i looked all goals count the same - and again RvN got most of his goals from inside the area

The ease with which he scores. Makes it look like playing as a 9 is the easiest thing in the world.

Might become the best striker in the world in a couple of seasons. Fecking hate the fact that he plays for City. Real come get him lads.

Cristiano is still the fifth best dribbler stats since dribbling stats were started to be counted.

He is not Messi or Hazard, but he was a top class dribbler in his prime. Saying otherwise is silly.

He along with Messi and Neymar are the only players to complete 20 dribbles in a single match.
You are right. And wrong. He was a very good dribbler when he was 17 and 18, but he was also infective because he was immature and he did not pick the situations correctly. Often, he was dribbling just for the sake of dribbling, which was infuriating. After his first two years in the PL, he gradually became much smarter and effective with the ball.
You're being deliberately obtuse because I refuse to believe anyone with 87k posts on a forum can be that thick to have the takeaway from what I wrote. Nowhere did I write you can’t dissect the players attributes. It’s the comparisons and them being spun into their own discussion which was the issue. It’s always the same names and same posters which derail multiple threads because they have to defend their fav player honour. In last few pages, the discussion has gone off on a different tangent compared to the player in the thread title here. Something which I’ve explained you three times. Anyways, this has been a colossal waste of my time. It’s not worth engaging with you further.
Take this to the Ronaldo thread, it doesn't belong in this one.

(This thread is on Haaland but since you insist on bringing this argument) His dribbling was very good in 06/07 season. But after that has declined. Generally, Ronaldo has always required acres of space to beat his opponent because he has mostly relied on pace and power. I watched many of his games at Madrid and all of them at United, and nothing you say about his dribbling is true.

As per the stats of dribbles completed per 90 minutes:
Season 2009/10: 3.3
Season 2010/11: 2.2
Season 2011/12: 2.1
Season 2012/13: 2.0
Season 2013/14: 2.3

Source: https://www.skysports.com/apple-touch-icon.png?bypass-service-worker

These are not stats of a player with "ability to skip past players with skill and then to manipulate the ball in the directions"
If you watched as many Madrid games as you claim you did you'd know there was games he'd dribble 5 times, there was games he'd dribble once and be asked to play off the last shoulder upfront. Averages are exactly that.. averages. His ability was there for all to see. No one has claimed he was Messi but you're being an outright troll if you are questioning his ability to skip past players or being able to manipulate a ball in any which way he likes.

Anyway, enough derailing the Haaland thread, we can move onto the Ronaldo thread.

I've come to this a bit late. Are people comparing Halaand to Ronaldo... because the guy he reminds me of more is Ruud: the way he seems to hide behind defences, then get back onside unseen to find space. Of course, his build and speed is not Like RvN. As or those saying he's just a "tap in" merchant, so what? The last time i looked all goals count the same - and again RvN got most of his goals from inside the area
Ruud scored 150 Utd goals ….149 from inside the box.

Amazing striker.

xG is a statistic to be used to analyse players over a season/long time frame in an attempt to measure their finishing ability, or how many goals a team should score based on the quality and quantity of chances they create. xA is useful over the course of a season to attempt to measure how many assists a player should have got (thus alleviating variance due to poor finishing from his teammates).

xG is also somewhat, but not particularly, useful at measuring a team's performance in a match, in an attempt to measure the typical "who deserved to win" debates.

It's not particularly useful at assessing a player's performance in one match. A high xG isn't even a indication of the player's ability - it's the difference between xG and actual goals that matters in terms of finishing ability. You can argue that it is a result of the combination of the player's movement, the chances his teammates create for him, and the quality of the opposition defence, but xG alone is not particularly useful at distinguishing between those factors or accounting for variance.

Even when used correctly, it's a limited and flawed statistic, as there are multitudes of factors that come into play. When used incorrectly, its primary purpose tends to be for some sneering tosser to try and win a debate on the internet.

Indeed. Perhaps I should have explained my point better. It was this: The post I responded to made out that Haaland scored on an easy tap-in, and was otherwise kept well under control by Mings, who forced him into shots from bad or non-dangerous positions.

While there are lots of things a player's xG and xA in an individual game doesn't tell you, I think it's well within what they do tell you to conclude that they clearly contradict the idea of a player who scores a tap-in and is otherwise prevented from having much impact. Because they show he was more involved in both creating and finishing chances than almost all other players on the pitch. That's all.

And yet people wanted him gone because he was holding back the team from playing fluid football.

This is what I’m expecting to happen at City.

That element of anyone on the pitch can score has gone a bit down and it’s turned much more towards Haaland scoring a goal instead.

What :confused:

He wasn’t prime Messi in terms of dribbling but he was better than 99.999999% of other players ever at dribbling, carrying the ball, beating a man etc
If you watched as many Madrid games as you claim you did you'd know there was games he'd dribble 5 times, there was games he'd dribble once and be asked to play off the last shoulder upfront. Averages are exactly that.. averages. His ability was there for all to see. No one has claimed he was Messi but you're being an outright troll if you are questioning his ability to skip past players or being able to manipulate a ball in any which way he likes.

Anyway, enough derailing the Haaland thread, we can move onto the Ronaldo thread.
Dude I've given you stats. And I watched him. It's a lie to say he was an elite dribbler or that he manipulated the ball the way he wanted; he was decent at times thats it. Definitely not better than 99.99999% of others. You are creating a myth here.

Can we move this debate to the Ronaldo thread? I'm not sure how to.

Last edited:
They need to start passing him the ball... He would've had 5 more goals this season if they actually passed to him when they're in a good position
100%. Sometimes City just is passing around, and Haaland can’t go for runs all the time. Very difficult for to know when to run, when the other players prefer some kind of power play (hockey). I think City has become more elaborate, and I don’t think it Haalands fault. I suspect it’s Pep’s vision. Maybe he realise he now have good enough players to play like Barca during his time there?

I don't think Haaland is one for comparisons. In terms of physical aspects alone I can't come up with anyone who would come close, Ronaldo was idolized for his athleticism, but I've never seen (top) defenders bounce off him (as frequently), like they do with Haaland. Your Lukaku type striker maybe has similar upper body strength, but then Haaland also as ridiculous acceleration and good mobility that these types usually lack.
On top of that he's also got elite movement and instincts and a conversion rate that's completely off the charts (in terms of xG).

You realize the high xG stat you mentioned is proving my point right? His goal was from 2 yards out. Had Coutinho’s goal stood, what would his xG be according to you and which goal would you say was better finish? I can’t believe I have to explain this simple fact to stat nerd on a football forum.

You don't. Obviously Couthinho's goal would have carried a much lower xG value. Which would have been a great point if what we were discussing was which was the better finish. Of if I had quoted xG statistics at you in order to argue that Haaland was a superior finisher because he's got a higher xG. Unfortunately, neither of those is the case. See above post.

How are you getting on with those highlight reels? Here's one that has all the goals he scored for Dortmund: Erling Haaland - All 86 Goals For Borussia Dortmund - Welcome to Manchester City FC - YouTube . Might be a better basis for discussing what sort of finisher he is than just his last two PL games.

Last edited:
What I do find amusing is that he's basically a clone of old CR7 at this point, which would be the last thing I imagined City wanting.
He’s absolutely nothing like old CR7. No idea what makes you think he is. The only thing they have in common is they can both score goals. But stylistic old CR7 and Haaland have nothing else in common.

He’s absolutely nothing like old CR7. No idea what makes you think he is. The only thing they have in common is they can both score goals. But stylistic old CR7 and Haaland have nothing else in common.

A general observation; it's amazing how prone football people (not just fans, also pundits) are to jumping to argument by (frequently weak) analogy. Rather than watch something and try to make sense of it, they quickly identify something or someone they're reminded of in some way, and then proceed down that track, as if they were dealing with the same thing. Player A reminds me of player B, and player B was was accused of this and that, hence this and that also applies to player A.

And once they have, there's mostly no shifting that train of thought. It's just sloppy thinking really - not even in politics do you usually get away with that.

Last edited:
A general observation; it's amazing how prone football people (not just fans, also pundits) are to jumping to argument by (frequently weak) analogy. Rather than watch something and try to make sense of it, they quickly identify something or someone they're reminded of in some way, and then proceed down that track. Player A reminds me of player B, and player B was was accused of this and that, hence this and that also applies to player A.

And once they have, there's mostly no shifting that train of thought. It's just sloppy thinking really - not even in politics do you usually get away with that.
The fact he mentioned “old” Ronaldo made the comparison even more absurd. I imagine he’s referring to younger Ronaldo in his first stint at Utd. I could probably find 200 players that are more similar to Haaland than that young Ronaldo. Baffling.

The closest player I can think of that is similar to Haaland is a young Christian Vieri who was big and powerful, had pace and bullied defenders. Was a goal machine with Both feet (mainly left footed) and a beast in the air.

The fact he mentioned “old” Ronaldo made the comparison even more absurd. I imagine he’s referring to younger Ronaldo in his first stint at Utd. I could probably find 200 players that are more similar to Haaland than that young Ronaldo. Baffling.
I think he literally talking about old Ronaldo as in age. There are similarities there when Ronaldo lost a bit of athleticism and the variety of his goals lessened

So yeah, obviously Mings had tremendous success shutting him down.
I don’t think that battle had a winner.

1. Agree Mings had a good day at work yesterday and mostly had control.

2. Haaland had some nice touches with Mings on his back, and Mings once had to take him down just outside the penalty area (de bruyne almost scored), and Haaland scored one goal.

I think it was City’s play that mainly hold Haaland back yesterday and pacified him a bit. I didn’t see one real running challenge between Mings and Haaland. Some credit to Mings, but mostly critique to City players.

I don't think Haaland is one for comparisons. In terms of physical aspects alone I can't come up with anyone who would come close, Ronaldo was idolized for his athleticism, but I've never seen (top) defenders bounce off him (as frequently), like they do with Haaland. Your Lukaku type striker maybe has similar upper body strength, but then Haaland also as ridiculous acceleration and good mobility that these types usually lack.
On top of that he's also got elite movement and instincts and a conversion rate that's completely off the charts (in terms of xG).

I actually think early Lukaku is quite similar to Haaland and as close to a comparison as I can think of (at Everton for example he was known for his one touch finishing, his pace and power) but he’s nowhere near as prolific so the deficiencies in his game such as touch become more infuriating. I think if Haaland didn’t score at the rate he did the narrative would be a little different in terms of frustration but as it is he scores at a rate nobody else does so he rightly receives the superlatives he does.

I think he literally talking about old Ronaldo as in age. There are similarities there when Ronaldo lost a bit of athleticism and the variety of his goals lessened
But even if he’s referring to the current Ronaldo there is not much similarities between the two.

Haaland uses his pace and power to attack spaces and position himself in areas where the ball is likely to end up. Old Ronaldo doesn’t have any pace and power. Old Ronaldo is most threatening in the air with his leap and heading ability. Haaland doesn’t have a leap and isn’t actually that great in the air. Other than both being goal scorers, they aren’t similar type players.