Nordic Ghost Yeti (Scandi Carroll) | Haaland at City

The fact he mentioned “old” Ronaldo made the comparison even more absurd. I imagine he’s referring to younger Ronaldo in his first stint at Utd. I could probably find 200 players that are more similar to Haaland than that young Ronaldo. Baffling.

The closest player I can think of that is similar to Haaland is a young Christian Vieri who was big and powerful, had pace and bullied defenders. Was a goal machine with Both feet (mainly left footed) and a beast in the air.

Baffling indeed. Another bad one that has been aired is "a faster and bigger Alan Shearer", which seems to ignore that an Alan Shearer who was faster and bigger to the extent we're talking about here would have been a completely different player.

As associative comparisons go, I agree about Vieri, except Haaland is not really a beast in the air, at least not so far. If anything, that's a comparatively weak area of his game. I suppose you could also think prime Edinson Cavani, in terms of his mix of power, smart movement and finishing ability. But I don't think he ever matched Haaland's explosiveness or pace. Or his general overall quality and impact for that matter. In the end the key point is these analogies are much more likely to mislead than to help us understand.

Baffling indeed. Another bad one that has been aired is "a faster and bigger Alan Shearer", which seems to ignore that an Alan Shearer who was faster and bigger to the extent we're talking about here would have been a completely different player.

As associative comparisons go, I agree about Vieri, except Haaland is not really a beast in the air, at least not so far. If anything, that's a comparatively weak area of his game. I suppose you could also think prime Edinson Cavani, in terms of his mix of power, smart movement and finishing ability. But I don't think he ever matched Haaland's explosiveness or pace. Or his general overall quality and impact for that matter. In the end the key point is these analogies are much more likely to mislead than to help us understand.
One of the reasons I was really keen on Utd getting Sesko despite him being a raw talent is the fact he is 6’4 giant but also got a brilliant leap and header. That’s very unusual for tall players as most aren’t actually that great at leaping or even heading. Sesko would be such a handful once he’s older and matured.

100%. Sometimes City just is passing around, and Haaland can’t go for runs all the time. Very difficult for to know when to run, when the other players prefer some kind of power play (hockey). I think City has become more elaborate, and I don’t think it Haalands fault. I suspect it’s Pep’s vision. Maybe he realise he now have good enough players to play like Barca during his time there?
It won't take long for them to adapt to feeding him. He's not been there long.

I don’t think that battle had a winner.

1. Agree Mings had a good day at work yesterday and mostly had control.

2. Haaland had some nice touches with Mings on his back, and Mings once had to take him down just outside the penalty area (de bruyne almost scored), and Haaland scored one goal.

I think it was City’s play that mainly hold Haaland back yesterday and pacified him a bit. I didn’t see one real running challenge between Mings and Haaland. Some credit to Mings, but mostly critique to City players.

I'm not saying Mings didn't do well, relatively speaking, but it seems undisputable that he did not succeed in preventing Haaland from having a big impact on the game.

Also, I'm not sure there's really that much to explain in the first place. City created more than enough (and were more than sufficiently successful in preventing Villa from creating much) that they should have won this game. And Haaland figured heavily in what they created.

Walker offers nothing going forward. Cancelo doesn't offer the overlap when playing on left and doesn't cross well with his left foot. They have lost pace on the wings with Sterling and Jesus gone. Those have a bigger effect on their gameplay than Haaland not contributing to build up. When not facing a pacey team upfront they should drop Walker.
It is a transition season for them as well as it is for some of the top teams only difference is they are trying to fit a cheat code into their system.

If he stays here long enough he will probably end up being regarded as the best ever PL striker. Very good chance he will break records in his first season here. He's an absolute force of nature. Hopefully he dreams of Madrid.

It's unreal the number of times they missed him in those situations already. 10 goals and it should be 15...

The 2nd highest goal per game average in the 21st century, and only trails Messi by a fraction.
And he's getting better.

The 2nd highest goal per game average in the 21st century, and only trails Messi by a fraction.
And he's getting better.

Well I mean if they have the same goal pr. game ration he's not trailing Messi. They are level. Suprised to see Neymar so high despite not being a striker.

Walker offers nothing going forward. Cancelo doesn't offer the overlap when playing on left and doesn't cross well with his left foot. They have lost pace on the wings with Sterling and Jesus gone. Those have a bigger effect on their gameplay than Haaland not contributing to build up. When not facing a pacey team upfront they should drop Walker.
It is a transition season for them as well as it is for some of the top teams only difference is they are trying to fit a cheat code into their system.
I think so too, also Pep picking Cancelo over Zinchenko is a major blunder on his part.

Researchers have been warning for years that the supercharged fanboism over Messi and Ronaldo numbers was perturbing the very fabric of football.
But people didn't listen.
And now... things... are coming out through the rift.

Researchers have been warning for years that the supercharged fanboism over Messi and Ronaldo numbers was perturbing the very fabric of football.
But people didn't listen.
And now... things... are coming out through the rift.

They raised the bar for what being the best in the world means in the modern game.

If City wins the CL this season, he is bound for Ballon d'Or

Easily. He has a good chance of breaking the Premier League record for most goals in a season in his very first season. I don't think anyone will top Dixie Dean's 60 goals in a single top flight season, but the post-WW2 mark of 41 isn't out of reach for someone like Haaland, some day.

Top 5 LeaguePlayerGoals
La LigaMessi
50​
England (Post-WW2)Jimmy Greaves
41​
England (Premier League era)Shearer, Cole
34​
Seria AImmobile, Higuaín, Rossetti
36​
League 1Josip Skoblar
44​
BundesligaLewandowski
41​

We could easily see Haaland displace Shearer and Cole this season. He's at 10 goals in no time (and could have scored a lot more had he and his teammates been more in sync over the first few matches).

He said this in a documentary released a few days ago. Everything about City is so hollow. He won't be wasting his prime there. Madrid 2025 is my guess.

Yup, no surprises there. He'll want to experience and conquer all the top leagues.

All City players could score goals because they're that good. Now Halaand is becoming their main scorer. Don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.

Yes, but it’s basically what a top poacher no.9 does. You surrender touches and getting involved with the build-up because his only focus is getting into the box to score goals
So like Ronaldo then.

I understand the Lukaku comparisons in terms of his size, power and speed. Haaland has the balance and elegance of a much smaller man, whereas Lukaku often looks kind of clumsy and not fully in control of his limbs at times. I'd compare Haaland to Drogba in terms of his combination of size and poise.

People were calling me a troll for saying this, but guess I'm not the only one. Anyone with a pair of working eyes should already be able to come to this conclusion. It's just that people don't even watch football anymore. They judge players based on Sofascore and Whoscored.com. Either way, Alvarez is taking over very soon!

Cassano: Haaland is nothing special and Julian Alvarez is better
"Haaland is going to score 90 goals, he's very strong, he's like a Romelu Lukaku, but stronger," Cassano told Twitch channel Boba TV.

"Anyway, I think Julian Alvarez is better because he has more quality.

"Haaland is not special. I see him a bit like Adriano at Inter and he has the progression of Christian Vieri."

https://www.marca.com/en/football/manchester-city/2022/09/06/63172c1b46163f9b6f8b4596.html

People were calling me a troll for saying this, but guess I'm not the only one. Anyone with a pair of working eyes should already be able to come to this conclusion. It's just that people don't even watch football anymore. They judge players based on Sofascore and Whoscored.com. Either way, Alvarez is taking over very soon!

https://www.marca.com/en/football/manchester-city/2022/09/06/63172c1b46163f9b6f8b4596.html
Aged well, just like all your other posts..

You know there’s a lot of players and managers with working eyes out there who think Haaland’s among the best players in football right now?

But yeah, let’s take Cassano’s word as gospel.

:lol: What a crock of sh1t.

Pep must have no eyes either as he keeps choosing Haaland over Alvarez.

He's an extremely dangerous player.

Some people are just doubling down on their initial belief that he's too limited to make it at the highest level.

Pretend I posted the the Mad Max bait gif.

Marca had to mention Cassano played for Milan and Madrid, i totally forgot he did, cause he didn't do anything there.

Very talented player, but he seems mad that Haaland, a less talented player than him, will have a 100 times better career...like a good looking guy getting mad seeing that an ugly guy pick up more women than him, because he isn't suppose to do that due to his appearance.

Last edited:

Standards are high when players who set goalscoring records in the CL AND Premier League is just not all that.

Shame he doesn’t play for England, a front line of Haaland, Kane and Grealish would be a handful for any side.