Nordic Ghost Yeti (Scandi Carroll) | Haaland at City

He scored more goals than our whole team and people will still criticize him here because he doesn't play for United? And why doesn't he play for United? Because of United itself. Had plenty of opportunities to snatch him up ever since he was at Molde.

Lethal in front of goal and an obvious threat, but he's hardly ever in the game. The match just passes him by. Was he always like this?
Thought he was plenty involved in the second half and handled the ball well every time. But yeah, part of his strength is that he has the patience to stay in the box and stretch the play while staying concentrated whenever the chance does present itself.

Jury's still out on whether he makes City a better team, for now they do seem a bit more predictable, but he's gonna score an absurd amount of goals this season.

He's a freak in and around the box, basically a more physical RVN.

It will be interesting though to see whether City will score more goals this season overall or not.

I think everyone knew he'd score goals but that City would regress as a team with him in it. And it's been shown to be true
We're still not sure whether that'll be the case but let's hope so, City had a semi rough (by their standards) start last season as well, so let's see what happens.

Hop into Haaland thread and it's a Messi/Neymar discussion, surely you guys have dozen of threads in football forum where you can jerk each other off marveling at their quality?

Cristiano could easily finish third on such a list if we include Ronaldinho.

:lol:

From the 30 min I saw today he was magnificent. I think each ball played to him in the box resulted into a shot on target. almost gave a clever assist for De Bruyne and collected a long high ball on his chest which resulted into some panic in the box

The game passing him by statement seems very over the top to me.

Reactions: Fortitude
And there were people on this forum who thought he wouldn’t do well :lol:
Of course there were, that's how personal opinions work. Some will be wrong and some will be right. Just like some people can accept that whilst others have the maturity levels of a toddler.

His game is dynamic; what do you think they are going to get used to? They’re shitting bricks trying to match his pace, power and size before tangibles like movement and aggression are even factored in.
Even though he scored today, Mings kept him far from the goal. In fact before his goal, he had no touches inside the penalty area. His subsequent touches in the area resulted in a few shots on goal which were all brute force with no direction. Last game he got a hat-trick with two goals being the easiest finishes into empty net. He’s already got excellent attributes, but at least I can see clear room for improvement.

Thought he was plenty involved in the second half and handled the ball well every time. But yeah, part of his strength is that he has the patience to stay in the box and stretch the play while staying concentrated whenever the chance does present itself.

Jury's still out on whether he makes City a better team, for now they do seem a bit more predictable, but he's gonna score an absurd amount of goals this season.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I know it sounds ridiculous because the man shits goals, but I'm interested to see how he changes them as a whole. A bit like the Ronaldo and United debate. The individual will do fine, but how does that work as a team.

The release clause was inserted for a reason. It wasn't just for a laugh.

I think he would definitely fancy joining Real Madrid and with that clause is up to him, unless it becomes another situation like with Mbappe and City offering silly money for him to stay.

Even though he scored today, Mings kept him far from the goal. In fact before his goal, he had no touches inside the penalty area. His subsequent touches in the area resulted in a few shots on goal which were all brute force with no direction. Last game he got a hat-trick with two goals being the easiest finishes into empty net. He’s already got excellent attributes, but at least I can see clear room for improvement.
He ran their backline all over the place causing panic with his every motion because defenders are slower than him so have to set off (anticipate) before he even gets his feet from under him. His movement opens up space for others to exploit, so the focus is not solely on how many touches he has or how man actions take place in a particular area of the pitch because what he does provides an ever present threat. He can make an entire career out of exactly what he is/does - there’s obvious room for improvement, but nullifying both his goal threat and the disruption he generates across a backline is incredibly difficult even if you know what he’s going to do, which can’t be the case if what he is doing is dynamic and actually anticipatory in accordance with what the CB’s are trying to put in place as counter measures.

Do think City needs to stop trying to find him with every through ball away from home. Game becomes stretched when they don’t come off and they lose control.
They need to start passing him the ball... He would've had 5 more goals this season if they actually passed to him when they're in a good position

Which one do people think it is!? Didn't watch today so can't comment, but interesting to see two completely polar opinions.

Just saw he's the fastest to reach 10 goals in the PL since Mickey Quinn, 6 games. Wonder if he's as fast over a yard.

All he needs then is a proper moustache and he'll be the real deal.

10 goals and 1 assist in 6 games. Unstoppable. Him and De Bruyne being in the same team is cheating.

Which one do people think it is!? Didn't watch today so can't comment, but interesting to see two completely polar opinions.
Imo they’ve lost a bit of that hold around the box (in away games anyway) with their constant attempts at playing him through or stopping the cut back City crosses they use so well to cross it in a more conventional manner.
No doubt Pep will sort it out but it’s not as if they are scoring that much more. This time last season they went on to score 6 in each of the next 2 (I think) games

He's not great in the build up at all so his skillset pretty much resigns him to being a poacher in this team. It's gone pretty much how I expect in that they can replace the 30 goals lost by losing Sterling and Jesus but it will cost them tactically.

What I do find amusing is that he's basically a clone of old CR7 at this point, which would be the last thing I imagined City wanting.

He's not great in the build up at all so his skillset pretty much resigns him to being a poacher in this team. It's gone pretty much how I expect in that they can replace the 30 goals lost by losing Sterling and Jesus but it will cost them tactically.

What I do find amusing is that he's basically a clone of old CR7 at this point, which would be the last thing I imagined City wanting.
The difference though is that he’s only been there for what, 6 games? IMO it’s foolish to think that given his abilities, Pep won’t tweak the tactics to iron out these issues.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I know it sounds ridiculous because the man shits goals, but I'm interested to see how he changes them as a whole. A bit like the Ronaldo and United debate. The individual will do fine, but how does that work as a team.

Yeah, it does sound ridiculous. Because it is.

Really? A CR7 clone, no less. That really IS amusing.

How exactly is it costing them? Their xG and xGA so far are both actually a bit better than they were last season. They're creating a little bit more/better scoring chances, and allowing the opposition a bit less. So if they're creating more and allowing less, there's not really any very obvious reason why you'd assume there's a some sort of systemic deterioration in their game? In today's game, City's xG was 1.92. Villas was 0.28. They didn't draw today because they're less dominant than they used to be, or because the balance of chances is turning more against them. Villa created less than half the scoring chances City faced on average last season (0.66) or this (0.61). City also created less than usual both this season and last (2.46 average last season, 2.68 this season), and were unusually ineffective in converting their chances but this is atypical for this season - in fact, they've overscored their xG by 4 goals, which is a lot in just 6 games.

Seriously. One draw, and people are jumping left and right at the notion that hey there's goals but somehow that makes City a worse team. This place.

Last edited:
What, saying I'm interested to see how City changes as a whole now he's there.

Ok mate

Ok. We all are. Sorry if that was harsh, or inaccurate.

If I was going to ridicule a post, it should obviously have been this one:

I think everyone knew he'd score goals but that City would regress as a team with him in it. And it's been shown to be true

Oh you're one of those posters. I get it.

No I'm not. If anything, I'm one of those posters who are prone to go on in rather too much detail. But I'm not going to this time, because seriously, that is a self-ridiculing post. The sort where you'd have to start with a basic outline of the concept of proof if you're going to go into the whys and hows. So I'm just going to take it for granted that most people won't require any further arguments to see the lack of basic sense in the claim that today's game proves Haaland makes City a worse team.

Well, let's see.

0.86 xG, which was nearly four times more than the entire Villa team and about 40% of City's team xG.
1 goal scored.
0.44 xA, which was roughly a quarter of City's combined xA, roughly twice what everyone on Villa put together had, and second only to de Bruyne.

So yeah, obviously Mings had tremendous success shutting him down.

And hey, if you think easy finishes into an empty net is typical for him, maybe you should watch one of the many goal compilations out there? You know, instead of making believe that you're actually in a position to say something about his finishing on the basis of having watched a couple of games?

No I'm not. If anything, I'm one of those posters who are prone to go on in rather too much detail. But I'm not going to this time, because seriously, that is a self-ridiculing post. The sort where you'd have to start with a basic outline of the concept of proof if you're going to go into the whys and hows. So I'm just going to take it for granted that most people won't require any further arguments to see the lack of basic sense in the claim that today's game proves Haaland makes City a worse team.
So you're one of those posters. Thanks.

Well, let's see.

0.86 xG, which was nearly four times more than the entire Villa team and about 40% of City's team xG.
1 goal scored.
0.44 xA, which was roughly a quarter of City's combined xA, roughly twice what everyone on Villa put together had, and second only to de Bruyne.

And hey, if you think easy finishes into an empty net is typical for him, maybe you should watch one of the many goal compilations out there? You know, instead of making believe that you're actually in a position to say something about his finishing on the basis of having watched a couple of games?
#mudded

Goal stats have overriden everything. In today's world Bierhoff would be better than R9, Muller would be hyped as the greatest since sliced bread, Ronaldinho would be considered Inferior to Etoo (the later would be the ballond'or winner) and so on.

Mbappehas actually hasn't been good at all this season.

The bolded part is revisionist and myth creating unless you are referring to Brazilian Ronaldo in his early years. Cristiano Ronaldo has never been that player and his allround play has never been to the level of other all-time greats although tbf it was better than Haaland's moreso at United.
You mustn’t have watched Ronaldo bedsides the past 5-6 years then? His dribbling especially between 06-14 was insane……

His ability to skip past players with skill and then to manipulate the ball in the directions he could was so good.

Well, let's see.

1 goal scored.

xG is a statistic to be used to analyse players over a season/long time frame in an attempt to measure their finishing ability, or how many goals a team should score based on the quality and quantity of chances they create. xA is useful over the course of a season to attempt to measure how many assists a player should have got (thus alleviating variance due to poor finishing from his teammates).

xG is also somewhat, but not particularly, useful at measuring a team's performance in a match, in an attempt to measure the typical "who deserved to win" debates.

It's not particularly useful at assessing a player's performance in one match. A high xG isn't even a indication of the player's ability - it's the difference between xG and actual goals that matters in terms of finishing ability. You can argue that it is a result of the combination of the player's movement, the chances his teammates create for him, and the quality of the opposition defence, but xG alone is not particularly useful at distinguishing between those factors or accounting for variance.

Even when used correctly, it's a limited and flawed statistic, as there are multitudes of factors that come into play. When used incorrectly, its primary purpose tends to be for some sneering tosser to try and win a debate on the internet.

xG is a statistic to be used to analyse players over a season/long time frame in an attempt to measure their finishing ability, or how many goals a team should score based on the quality and quantity of chances they create. xA is useful over the course of a season to attempt to measure how many assists a player should have got (thus alleviating variance due to poor finishing from his teammates).

xG is also somewhat, but not particularly, useful at measuring a team's performance in a match, in an attempt to measure the typical "who deserved to win" debates.

It's not particularly useful at assessing a player's performance in one match. A high xG isn't even a indication of the player's ability - it's the difference between xG and actual goals that matters in terms of finishing ability. You can argue that it is a result of the combination of the player's movement, the chances his teammates create for him, and the quality of the opposition defence, but xG alone is not particularly useful at distinguishing between those factors or accounting for variance.

Even when used correctly, it's a limited and flawed statistic, as there are multitudes of factors that come into play. When used incorrectly, its primary purpose tends to be for some sneering tosser to try and win a debate on the internet.

#mudded 2 electric boogaloo