Nordic Ghost Yeti (Scandi Carroll) | Haaland at City

Sorry, is that not what he is being compared to in most circles? The hyperbole is off the charts. They are the best players of the last generation and Haaland is spoken of as the best player in this current one.

It’s a comparison that is made everywhere, and constantly.
Are people really comparing him to Messi and Ronaldo, because i've not heard/seen/read that anywhere. Anyone comparing him to those two need their heads checked, IMO. Fantastic goalscorer, of course, but nowhere near those 2.

You literally said he'd draw a blank. Did he? Also how many tries at what?

Yeah, you got me because I hazarded a guess, based on his history in big games, that he would probably blank. Instead, he has gotten 1 goal in a game with an hour against 10 men. Great.

I feel so foolish. It’s not the “gotcha” you seem to think it is.

Are people really comparing him to Messi and Ronaldo, because i've not heard/seen/read that anywhere. Anyone comparing him to those two need their heads checked, IMO. Fantastic goalscorer, of course, but nowhere near those 2.

You see it all the time on twitter and instagram. A lot of young fans, in particular, only see the game through stats and goal records.

It’s why the likes of Hazard will be forgotten to time and players are average unless they are getting a goal per game.

Haaland is a great player, but I think he is still to have his big deciding moments. If he never adds those, then he can’t be considered among the very elite players (and I am talking about an all time list here).

City would be winning games against Brentford and West Ham by the same score without him. He needs to become the difference maker to be truly elite. That’s my opinion anyway (as if we need to add that on a forum)

Yeah, you got me because I hazarded a guess, based on his history in big games, that he would probably blank. Instead, he has gotten 1 goal in a game with an hour against 10 men. Great.

I feel so foolish. It’s not the “gotcha” you seem to think it is.
Ah yes his history in big games vs Arsenal, like the game two seasons ago when they were running away with the title where he got a goal and 2 assists or the game at the Emirates where he also scored.
3 goals and 2 assists in 5 league games vs Arsenal when they're the other title challenger, clearly not cut out for the big games.

They're only big games when he doesn't score right?

As for the Messi, Ronaldo thing people compare them in terms of output not talent. "He's obviously shit cause he's not as good as two of the 5 best players in football history".

3 goals and 2 assists vs Arsenal, 6 goals and 2 assists in the Derby. Not bad for 2 years and a guy who doesn't deliver in big games.

Last edited:
Haaland has 5 goal involvements in 5 league games vs Arsenal now? No penalties either. That is what they are asking of him. He will be very quiet in some games vs tough opponents, of course. The sample size is big enough to say that.

You see it all the time on twitter and instagram. A lot of young fans, in particular, only see the game through stats and goal records.

It’s why the likes of Hazard will be forgotten to time and players are average unless they are getting a goal per game.

Haaland is a great player, but I think he is still to have his big deciding moments. If he never adds those, then he can’t be considered among the very elite players (and I am talking about an all time list here).

City would be winning games against Brentford and West Ham by the same score without him. He needs to become the difference maker to be truly elite. That’s my opinion anyway (as if we need to add that on a forum)
Yeah, I don't disagree with you for the most part. Thankfully i'm not on social media, so aren't privvy to these opinions and the whole just judging things based off stats thing grates me as well - and football's heading more and more that way. I think Haaland's ok - world class forward definitely, but he's definitely a tier or 2 below the all time greats, IMO.

Ah yes his history in big games vs Arsenal, like the game two seasons ago when they were running away with the title where he got a goal and 2 assists or the game at the Emirates where he also scored.
3 goals and 2 assists in 5 league games vs Arsenal when they're the other title challenger, clearly not cut out for the big games.

They're only big games when he doesn't score right?

As for the Messi, Ronaldo thing people compare them in terms of output not talent. "He's obviously shit cause he's not as good as two of the 5 best players in football history"
The fact that you have to go back to a game where he dunked on Rob Holding two years ago to find an example says quite a bit.

He threw the ball at a city player after the goal then charged through the back of player from kick off should’ve been sent off, a totally unlikeable prick just like his managers

The fact that you have to go back to a game where he dunked on Rob Holding two years ago to find an example says quite a bit.
So he had 2 games in a row last season where he didn't score against them, one in the second half of the season where he was poor against everyone and only a 4 goal haul covered up a poor 4 months (post stress fracture).
So in 5 league games he's got the better of them 3 times and been nullified twice. Thats a pretty good big game record.

By who? The clown Micah Richards?
12 year olds cause no one with any sense would even make the comparison.

He's never spoken about as the best player in the world, by anyone in football, best goalscorer? absolutely. Best player? Everyone says he's miles away. People don't even think he's the best player in the current City team. He's not.

Its hyperbolic "I hate him cause some 12 year old once said he was as good as Messi on twitter" nonsense to cover genuinely bad takes.

As for the Messi, Ronaldo thing people compare them in terms of output not talent. "He's obviously shit cause he's not as good as two of the 5 best players in football history".
Messi is the best player ever, period. Can’t compare Haaland with the likes of Messi, Pele, Ronaldo or Maradona. Off course they were more technical gifted and dominated the game more.

At the same time I’ll say Haaland is the best striker and finisher the world has seen. His speed, strength, positioning and final touch is almost supernatural.

It looks so simple, but I don’t think many other players could have scored the goal he did today and Haaland does it over and over again.

Last edited:
He threw the ball at a city player after the goal then charged through the back of player from kick off should’ve been sent off, a totally unlikeable prick just like his managers

He is, but against Arsenal I'm cool with it :p

One goal in a league game, after how many tries at it? He also had a half against 10 men to get it done and he couldn’t. He should have been sent off too.

Top CBs will always have his number I’m afraid.
If he hadn't have scored today, you'd be all over it speaking about how he does nothing in big games. But because he scores, it's not a big game because it's only a league game.

His goals against United don't count because United are shit
His goals against Arsenal in a title race don't count because Rob Holding was playing
His goal against Arsenal when Saliba/Gabriel are both playing doesn't count because it's only a league game
His goal against Arsenal doesn't count because he only scored once when Arsenal had 11 men but not after they went down to 10
His goals against Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle, Spurs and Villa don't count either
His goal against Bayern in CL quarters doesn't count for reasons
Top CBs always have his number except he's when he scores against the best CB pairing in Europe, but that goal doesn't count so they still have his number

Essentially for Haaland to get credit for scoring in a "big" game it needs to be a CL final or semi final or domestic cup final, and only against a recognised elite team. And he has maybe 2 or 3 of those games a season.

Messi is the best player ever, period. Can’t compare Haaland with the likes of Messi, Pele, Ronaldo or Maradona. Off course they were more technical gifted and dominated the game more.

At the same time I’ll say Haaland is the best striker and finisher the world has seen. His speed, strength, positioning and final touch is almost supernatural.
Absolutely, Haaland will never be seen as one of the goats, nor should he be. I don't think he's the best finisher either though he's very good. For what its worth I think Brazilian Romario was the best finisher I've ever seen but I'd say Haaland is the best in the post CR7 era. Its his physicality and his knack of right place, right time that great strikers have that really stands out.

There was also the headbutt in the first half that he got away with, how he ended this game without even seeing a yellow is incredible

There was also the headbutt in the first half that he got away with, how he ended this game without even seeing a yellow is incredible
Absolutely he seems to get away with a lot I don’t understand why defenders don’t wind him up of the ball he’s very likely to react

Arsenal were harshly dealt with today
Both their goals were a result of referee-error.

First goal: The referee should’ve given Walker more time to reorganise himself after called him up to the misfield (as captain).

Second goal: Should’ve been canceled. Clear foul on City’s goalkeeper in the same situation.

If he hadn't have scored today, you'd be all over it speaking about how he does nothing in big games. But because he scores, it's not a big game because it's only a league game.

His goals against United don't count because United are shit
His goals against Arsenal in a title race don't count because Rob Holding was playing
His goal against Arsenal when Saliba/Gabriel are both playing doesn't count because it's only a league game
His goal against Arsenal doesn't count because he only scored once when Arsenal had 11 men but not after they went down to 10
His goals against Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle, Spurs and Villa don't count either
His goal against Bayern in CL quarters doesn't count for reasons
Top CBs always have his number except he's when he scores against the best CB pairing in Europe, but that goal doesn't count so they still have his number

Essentially for Haaland to get credit for scoring in a "big" game it needs to be a CL final or semi final or domestic cup final, and only against a recognised elite team. And he has maybe 2 or 3 of those games a season.

Yeah mate, long way of saying “he isn’t decisive in big games, but he has scored against Villa”

They drew today, it was good of him to finally score against Saliba/Gabriel, I didn’t say it wasn’t a big game. A goal is a goal. He had 60 minutes to be decisive against 10 men at home, though, and didn’t do it.

He needs to be winning big games for his team, and he rarely does it. That’s all I am saying. He scores lots of goals in games that City will always score lots of goals in.

You have listed a lot of points that I didn’t make, but carry on.