Non-televised academy matches

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
In an effort to keep the misc. thread a bit more readable, I thought I’d create a thread for all those non-televised academy games.

Doesn’t make sense to create separate match threads as it’s mostly just goal updates etc. when it comes to these fixtures.

Anyway to start it off a ”Manchester United XI” will face Chester tonight at 19:30 BST. So a mix of U21/U18. Will post any updates I can find.

Chester vs U21s New
Players that are in the squad:

Harrison
Myles

Nolan
Jackson
Ogunneye
Aljofree
Kamason
Kingdon

McAllister
T. Fletcher
Devaney
Baumann
Fitzgerald

Thwaites
Williams
Sharpe

Biancheri

…I think. I know I missed some.

Starting XI:

Harrison

McAllister
Fredricson
Aljofree (C)
Nolan

Fletcher
Rowe

Sharpe
Thwaites
Williams

Biancheri

…I think.

Starting XI:

Harrison

McAllister
Fredricson
Aljofree (C)
Nolan

Fletcher
Rowe

Sharpe
Thwaites
Williams

Biancheri

…I think.

Good to see the two Tylers (Fredricson and Fletcher) are back. Also Fitzgerald on the bench. Hopefully the other injured will be back shortly. Such bad luck we have with these injuries

Last edited:
Starting XI:

Harrison

McAllister
Fredricson
Aljofree (C)
Nolan

Fletcher
Rowe

Sharpe
Thwaites
Williams

Biancheri

…I think.

Based on their numbers it could’ve also been:

Harrison

Nolan
Aljofree
Fredricson
Rowe

McAllister
Fletcher…

I understand that most of the club’s resources are in the US, but I must say I’m still a bit disappointed that there has not been one word said or written about yesterday’s match.

I understand that most of the club’s resources are in the US, but I must say I’m still a bit disappointed that there has not been one word said or written about yesterday’s match.
Not surprising though unfortunately.

thanks for all the updates. I am enjoying this thread. Keep up the good work

Looking at all the players I make it the following teams:

1. Harrison
2. Nolan
3. Rowe
4. McAllister
5. Aljofree (c)
6. Fredricson
7. Sharpe
8. Fletcher (?)
9. Biancheri 2
10. Thwaites
11. Williams

12. Kamason (7)
13. Myles (1)
14. Jackson (5)
15. Kingdon (3)
16. Armer (6)
17. Fitzgerald (?)
18. Devaney (?)
19. Bailey (?) 1
20 Baumann (?)

The last four players replaced McAllister, Fletcher, Biancheri and Williams but no idea who exactly.

Nolan and Thwaites played the whole game.

PFA pre-season squad vs U21s New
Ravel Morrison back at Carrington

Do miss when the U21s/23s/reserves would play a handful of pre-season games at assorted lower league/non-league teams, rather than this mostly behind closed doors stuff.

Curley, Williams, Sharpe and Jackson in action. And of course our own Ravel. :devil:

Last edited:
Ravel looks pretty well in that photo really!

I think at least these players started yesterday:

Myles
Jackson
Kingdon
Aljofree
Nolan
Curley
Williams
Sharpe

It seems like we perhaps had at least two ”trialists” starting, one of which looks like Tommy Rowe.

All this is based on a couple of pictures of the players’ backs, so I could be very wrong too.

Last edited:
U16s in Hong Kong | First match New
Well this one is on youtube but can’t be arsed to create a separate thread.

The U16s’ first match in Hong Kong. Stream starts at 12:40 BST.

Last edited:
Again, I struggle to understand why they make these games 90 mins long. These kids don't even play 90 min matches yet in England, so to do so in those conditions is ridiculously tough.

Even a lot of senior pros would struggle at that heat and humidity.

Decent game. We are mostly dominant and played some really nice football. Probably hindered a bit by not having a target man upfront though. JJ was more impactful when he moved deeper on the 2nd half.

Defenders:
Ngwashi and Jacob Watson are both CBs that are very confident on the ball/passing, and has nice recovery pace. We could have a very good CBs pairing here for this age group moving forward. Couple of alarming occasions though (one pass from Ngwashi to Watson that was nicked by their striker but Watson did enough to prevent them from scoring, and another occasion that Watson slipped after being close down by 2 of their players).
Shah had a very good game, was very impactful offensively beating their fullbacks from times to times. Also did well when switched to midfield on the second half. Had a knock at the end and was replaced.
Thorley was decent but didn't do a lot going forward.

Midfielders:
Very impressed by McCormack in this game, especially his passing from deep.
Luca Scanlon probably the less impactful out of the 3 but had a good game too. Shown his composure and also his ball-winning on couple of occasions. He's nothing like this brother James though, couldn't tell if you didn't know it beforehand that they are related.
Ibrovic-Fletcher captained the team and probably the pick of the bunch in terms of technical abilities. One of those players that are extremely good with his feint. Was involved in many of our best plays. Shame that he couldn't get a goal (had a few chances especially his long shot which was tipped over the bar). Not sure if he has grown an inch or two but he's taller than I thought, so he's probably one of those that you can expect to feature up for the U18s this season.

Attackers
Brown and Ajayi both had a decent game, not as influential as Mantato and Balogun were last season. I really like Brown, nice feets but feels like he doesn't do enough to make up for his physical disadvantage. Ajayi, on the other hand, might have his long legs working against him as he seems to move the ball too far on couple occasions. Both will have a lot to do to get offered a scholarship next season.
JJ was relatively quiet on the first half (that's what you are expected to get when you put a small 13yo up front in an U16s game). Was more involved when he was moved deeper on the 2nd half. Was subbed out and then subbed in again after we ran out of players to substitute and scored a great goal on extra time.

Subs
Donkor was probably the pick out of the subs. Has ranging legs and was relentless and energetic on his run.
Helafu was good as usual (I rate him a lot). Had a great through ball to Kai Rooney that the latter wasn't managed to capture.
McLaughlin and Camacho shown good composure on the middle of the park. McLaughlin had a solo run beating 3-4 players that unfortunately couldn't get to shoot as there was just too many defenders.
Kai Rooney looks like he is developing well. Was quick and good with his holding up play and releasing the ball quickly. He has a totally different built compared to his dad so don't expect him to develop into the same type of player though. Also didn't get any chance to showcase his finishing.
Silva Mexes was tricky but raw on his touch and passing sometimes.
There was also a number 20 that came on in the final minutes as centre back that I didn't recall the name.

Last edited: