Non-televised academy matches | U21s: MCR derby | U18s: Boro vs United | Sat 21 Sep

City want a penalty, none given - was contact but would be cheap

Devaney catches up to an attacker, wins the ball and wins a freekick. Sums up his performance. MOTM by a mile

Just seconds left - United are in total control. City cant create a chance

FULL TIME

Can give player ratings later after the Brighton-game

Thanks for all those updates.
Great start to the season for the U18's. :)

The younger age groups (age U16 downwards) don't seem to have done too well, results wise, in most of the tournaments over the summer. But they'll have still gained plenty of experience from them, which is the main purpose.

Ratings:

Murdoch 7 - a couple of really good saves - solid in the box, but was lucky not to be sent off when he came outside his box and brought down a City-player

Kukonki 6 - one of the best in the first half. Won a lot of corners but gave the ball away twice in dangerous position after the break
Armer 6 - did ok on the ground but left Warhurst unmarked twice. Decent passer of the ball
Fitzgerald 7 - struggled a bit with crosses but did really well when playing out from the back.
Kamason 6 - not a good first half and made some poor decisions. Improved a lot after the break and was one of our best players then.

Devaney 8 - first gave the ball away cheaply - but after that he was really good. Some superb long-range passes and won so many duels defensively. MOTM
Baumann 7 - worked hard but got little in reward before the break. But the class showed when he set up Mantato for the 2-0 goal
Scanlon 6 - got in good positions but seemed to struggle on the left. Could have crossed a few times but wanted to get the ball on his right foot
Fletcher 7 - set up Biancheri for what should have been 1-0 but for a poor finish. Then he wasted 2 good chances himself. Solid all-round play
Mantato 7 - slightly anonymous before the break but something happened once he got the ball. Better after the break and got himself a goal. Should have had an assist when Scanlon missed a huge chance

Biancheri 6 - scored the important first half. Had a tough game against Drake and Parker but worked really hard for the team.

Good start to the season in terms of our main rivals (or at least they normally are) dropping points. Liverpool have lost both of their games so far while City have drawn one and lost the other.

Which players missing today can play in the FA Youth Cup ?

J.Fletcher, Munro, Musa, Lacey and the new players we have signed ?

He always had that on his locker when I saw him in the lower age groups.
Yeah, last season he took over from Fitzgerald when he got injured and was our main player dictating play. For all the technically sound midfielders in recent years very few can switch the play as well, Shea Lacey is other one from this batch.

15s beat Galatasaray 1-0 and are into the semis of the Elite Cup.

Some insane results in both U18-leagues - Spurs with 11-5 GD after 2 matches. Chelsea and Liverpool both lost 2 matches. Derby starting really strongly with 5-1 against Liverpool and 3-3 away to Newcastle.

U15s Elite Cup semis:

09:20 BST | FC Porto vs United
09:20 BST | FC Bayern vs Real Sociedad

Official site have at least bothered with a match report for the mini-derby - shame they haven't got the lineup/subs right but baby steps

15s beat Galatasaray 1-0 and are into the semis of the Elite Cup.
JJ Mantato at the front, spitting image of his brother. Will Murdock's younger brother Gus (who is a midfielder) also part of the squad.

c499ade3b9da02e16aef73e4b7b91d49.png

Official site have at least bothered with a match report for the mini-derby - shame they haven't got the lineup/subs right but baby steps

They also wrote a 10-sentence ”report” on the U21s match last night. It’s pathetic.

He played 90 minutes for the U21's on Tuesday, captaining them in their fine comeback win in the EFL Trophy v Barnsley. So he didn't need any minutes last night ahead of being in today's first team matchday squad.

But I get the general point, that we sometimes keep some youngsters around the outskirts of the first team squad but rarely playing - and so they should get some U21 minutes to gain match fitness and experience. That's sometimes tricky when the U21's game is quite close to the first team game. Fortunately, this week, we had that convenient Tuesday night EFL Trophy match to get him important minutes.
Good point. I forgot about that.

Wait, the Tuesday's game is not being telecast as well?

Wait, the Tuesday's game is not being telecast as well?
It's certainly not listed on the MUTV schedule, no.

Nor is the U21 game next Friday (30th) currently listed to be shown, even though there's no PL match so they can't hide behind 'licensing' reasons. It's purely by their choice, just like them not bothering with yesterday's game.

It's a really worrying start - it looks like there's going to even fewer (if any!) U21 matches shown; and while there was at least a reason for today's U18 game not being shown, the fact the Tuesday game doesn't look like it's being shown either suggests the U18 coverage is going to be lessened as well. :(

It's certainly not listed on the MUTV schedule, no.

Nor is the U21 game next Friday (30th) currently listed to be shown, even though there's no PL match so they can't hide behind 'licensing' reasons. It's purely by their choice, just like them not bothering with yesterday's game.

It's a really worrying start - it looks like there's going to even fewer (if any!) U21 matches shown; and while there was at least a reason for today's U18 game not being shown, the fact the Tuesday game doesn't look like it's being shown either suggests the U18 coverage is going to be lessened as well. :(
FFS. Watching u-18s last season was a shining light in a disaster of a season by the senior team. Seems like they are hell bent on making watching Man Utd(if the senior team continues this way) a chore if they are not telecasting these games.

The U15s lost the semi to Porto (2-0) and are 1-3 down in the bronze match against Real Sociedad.

The best era for MUTV content was from 1998 until 2010 IMO

Every live Reserve game and 30 minutes U18's highlights was shown without fail. They even showed random United U16's and U12's highlights from tournaments abroad. Who remembers 11yrs old Febian Brandy hype?:)

In addition around 2007 or 2008 they started to show Live U18's games

The amount of coverage the last few years has been pitiful. Barely any U21's, not even highlights. Only U18's when they can be bothered.

The best era for MUTV content was from 1998 until 2010 IMO

Every live Reserve game and 30 minutes U18's highlights was shown without fail. They even showed random United U16's and U12's highlights from tournaments abroad. Who remembers 11yrs old Febian Brandy hype?:)

In addition around 2007 or 2008 they started to show Live U18's games

The amount of coverage the last few years has been pitiful. Barely any U21's, not even highlights. Only U18's when they can be bothered.
This has to be a new low, no highlights posted, no full game, no rebroadcast in sight for the next week. MUTV is a total nightmare to browse. U21s has been dead for a couple years now, thanks PL. I saw people like Mrmujac saying on twitter how much harder they have made watching the games in person too, seems like an overall aversion to show youth games or maybe the layoffs hit the MUTV team.

Either way, things need to change, I don't know who even watches all the other programming on MUTV, just give us the games.

Reactions: top1whoisman
This has to be a new low, no highlights posted, no full game, no rebroadcast in sight for the next week. MUTV is a total nightmare to browse. U21s has been dead for a couple years now, thanks PL. I saw people like Mrmujac saying on twitter how much harder they have made watching the games in person too, seems like an overall aversion to show youth games or maybe the layoffs hit the MUTV team.

Either way, things need to change, I don't know who even watches all the other programming on MUTV, just give us the games.
There just seems to be endless podcasts on repeat. The old matches are OK bit I'd still want to watch the 21's and 18's. Seriously considering cancelling my subscription. If enough people do that, they might do something but I reckon it's all about INEOS costcutting

It looks like they’ve saved a slot for the U18s match vs Liverpool on Saturday.

So that would be the first live match on MUTV. Out of six academy games.

I emailed MUTV 24 hours ago- but I am not holding my breath waiting for an answer :)

Last edited:
There just seems to be endless podcasts on repeat. The old matches are OK bit I'd still want to watch the 21's and 18's. Seriously considering cancelling my subscription. If enough people do that, they might do something but I reckon it's all about INEOS costcutting
MUTV was free for the last couple years I think, was paid before, at least in Asia. This season they brought back the paid subscription and made the youth coverage worse aka the only reason to subscribe.

They need to do a survey and actually check why people subscribe. A lot of the training content is just timed exclusive and makes its way to YouTube later. That just leaves podcasts, old matches and a few documentaries which aren't anywhere close to youth matches in terms of incentivizing people to sub.

I emailed MUTV 24 hours ago- but I am not holding my breah waiting for an answer :)
Yeah, I sent them a follow up email a couple of days ago. This time, worded a bit stronger - pointing out how there were no PL clashes, other clubs been showing U21 games at the same time, so what exactly were the 'licensing' issues that just effected our matches from being shown? As it appears far more of an internal decision not to bother broadcasting them rather than any licensing issue preventing it.

Haven't received any reply at all, not even the usual standard BS.

Leicester vs U18s New
Mills & Plunkett obviously the other way around.

It's kind of mad one of the big football journalists hasn't picked up on this. The details listed here would be pretty incendiary if they were being read by a bigger audience. A really terrible look for the club. Has anyone thought about reaching out to one of the big journos? Probably the best way to put pressure on the club to get their shit together.