Non-televised academy matches | U21s: MCR derby | U18s: Boro vs United | Sat 21 Sep

Decent game. We are mostly dominant and played some really nice football. Probably hindered a bit by not having a target man upfront though. JJ was more impactful when he moved deeper on the 2nd half.

Defenders:
Ngwashi and Jacob Watson are both CBs that are very confident on the ball/passing, and has nice recovery pace. We could have a very good CBs pairing here for this age group moving forward. Couple of alarming occasions though (one pass from Ngwashi to Watson that was nicked by their striker but Watson did enough to prevent them from scoring, and another occasion that Watson slipped after being close down by 2 of their players).
Shah had a very good game, was very impactful offensively beating their fullbacks from times to times. Also did well when switched to midfield on the second half. Had a knock at the end and was replaced.
Thorley was decent but didn't do a lot going forward.

Midfielders:
Very impressed by McCormack in this game, especially his passing from deep.
Luca Scanlon probably the less impactful out of the 3 but had a good game too. Shown his composure and also his ball-winning on couple of occasions. He's nothing like this brother James though, couldn't tell if you didn't know it beforehand that they are related.
Ibrovic-Fletcher captained the team and probably the pick of the bunch in terms of technical abilities. One of those players that are extremely good with his feint. Was involved in many of our best plays. Shame that he couldn't get a goal (had a few chances especially his long shot which was tipped over the bar). Not sure if he has grown an inch or two but he's taller than I thought, so he's probably one of those that you can expect to feature up for the U18s this season.

Attackers
Brown and Ajayi both had a decent game, not as influential as Mantato and Balogun were last season. I really like Brown, nice feets but feels like he doesn't do enough to make up for his physical disadvantage. Ajayi, on the other hand, might have his long legs working against him as he seems to move the ball too far on couple occasions. Both will have a lot to do to get offered a scholarship next season.
JJ was relatively quiet on the first half (that's what you are expected to get when you put a small 13yo up front in an U16s game). Was more involved when he was moved deeper on the 2nd half. Was subbed out and then subbed in again after we ran out of players to substitute and scored a great goal on extra time.

Subs
Donkor was probably the pick out of the subs. Has ranging legs and was relentless and energetic on his run.
Helafu was good as usual (I rate him a lot). Had a great through ball to Kai Rooney that the latter wasn't managed to capture.
McLaughlin and Camacho shown good composure on the middle of the park. McLaughlin had a solo run beating 3-4 players that unfortunately couldn't get to shoot as there was just too many defenders.
Kai Rooney looks like he is developing well. Was quick and good with his holding up play and releasing the ball quickly. He has a totally different built compared to his dad so don't expect him to develop into the same type of player though. Also didn't get any chance to showcase his finishing.
Silva Mexes was tricky but raw on his touch and passing sometimes.
There was also a number 20 that came on in the final minutes as centre back that I didn't recall the name.
The lad number 20 must be on of Laurie, Mpofu or McEvoy. Since they travelled with the squad as well as those you mentioned. Laurie?

U16s in Hong Kong | Second match New
United u16s win 3-0

I'm not overly familiar with the players but think JJ Gabriel and Mexes got the second and third (hopefully someone will correct if I'm wrong)

First goal was from a corner and we missed a penalty and a host of chances as well

Despite the scoreline (plus we missed a penalty and many other chances) feels like we actually played against a better team yesterday in HK compared to the first game. The opponents simply played a more open game and was actually dangerous going forward.

Defenders:
Helafu played the full game today (Shah actually played in midfield on the first half and was withdrawn midway so we have no alternative in RB) and impressed again, especially after Donkor came in on the second half. Had a lot of the balls and was very forward-looking and constantly testing their defenders. Also inverted to midfield and showcase his passing capabilities a few times.
Our CBs duo today are McCormack and Watson. They had a lot more to do today compared to the first game and sticked with their duties well enough. Watson continued to show his composed on the ball and passing abilities.
Thorley sticked with his defensive duties well. Didn't do a lot going forward.

Midfielders:
McEvoy - a genuine deep-lying midfielder performance. Was coming very deep picking up the ball, almost like a third CB. His composure and distribution was outstanding and created quite a few chances for the likes of Brown and Ajayi with his long passes. Had a few alarming misplaced passes, which was usual since this looks like his first game coming back from injury.
Shah - looks good on midfield role as well. Looks like his build allows him to be a very effective runner, very positive player. Unfortunately was withdrawn early midway of the first half, replaced by McLaughlin.
Ibrovic-Fletcher - a less effective game from him. His talent is still obvious but a slightly bad day at the office with things haven't come off and a couple of misplaced passes.

Attackers
Ajayi - probably our best player on the 1st half, even if you didn't count his goal. Despite not having a blistering pace, very bright today constantly beating their defenders and are involved in most of our best chances on this half. Faded away on the 2nd half before getting substituted, with most of our actions went to the right wing with Donkor's appearance.
Brown - decent game and had couple of chances, but less impactful than Ajayi on the other side.
Kai Rooney - did a few good things and actually roam around the pitch alot looking to be involved. Almost scored from a cut inside shot outside of the box. However sometimes he can be very slow and indecisive when one-on-one with defender, and not sure if he was actually injured halfway of the game as he looks to be limping a bit when still being on the pitch.

Subs
McLaughlin - replaced Shah early in the game. A busy box-to-box performance, covered quite a bit of the ground, kept things ticking. Promising signs from him.
Donkor - our most dangerous player on the second half. Relentless running and beating their players from times to times. Had a solo run beating 3-4 players that couldn't get pass their goalkeeper. The only criticism is he might have tried to do too much by himself, as some of the shooting angles don't really make sense.
JJ - yet another goal from a feint and change of direction, and an assist to Silva Mexes. Was much more dangerous and involved today. You can argue that he should have scored more. Shown today why he's one of the most promising talents at the club.
Silva Mexes - also has more of the ball and much more dangerous today, combined well with JJ. Another one of the long line of promising wingers at the club.
Camacho - another composed performance on the middle of the park. A relatively lanky, elegant midfielder. Also took corners well.
Laurie - did his job coming up as an extra defender on around the last 20 min of the game.

Despite the scoreline (plus we missed a penalty and many other chances) feels like we actually played against a better team yesterday in HK compared to the first game. The opponents simply played a more open game and was actually dangerous going forward.

Defenders:
Helafu played the full game today (Shah actually played in midfield on the first half and was withdrawn midway so we have no alternative in RB) and impressed again, especially after Donkor came in on the second half. Had a lot of the balls and was very forward-looking and constantly testing their defenders. Also inverted to midfield and showcase his passing capabilities a few times.
Our CBs duo today are McCormack and Watson. They had a lot more to do today compared to the first game and sticked with their duties well enough. Watson continued to show his composed on the ball and passing abilities.
Thorley sticked with his defensive duties well. Didn't do a lot going forward.

Midfielders:
McEvoy - a genuine deep-lying midfielder performance. Was coming very deep picking up the ball, almost like a third CB. His composure and distribution was outstanding and created quite a few chances for the likes of Brown and Ajayi with his long passes. Had a few alarming misplaced passes, which was usual since this looks like his first game coming back from injury.
Shah - looks good on midfield role as well. Looks like his build allows him to be a very effective runner, very positive player. Unfortunately was withdrawn early midway of the first half, replaced by McLaughlin.
Ibrovic-Fletcher - a less effective game from him. His talent is still obvious but a slightly bad day at the office with things haven't come off and a couple of misplaced passes.

Attackers
Ajayi - probably our best player on the 1st half, even if you didn't count his goal. Despite not having a blistering pace, very bright today constantly beating their defenders and are involved in most of our best chances on this half. Faded away on the 2nd half before getting substituted, with most of our actions went to the right wing with Donkor's appearance.
Brown - decent game and had couple of chances, but less impactful than Ajayi on the other side.
Kai Rooney - did a few good things and actually roam around the pitch alot looking to be involved. Almost scored from a cut inside shot outside of the box. However sometimes he can be very slow and indecisive when one-on-one with defender, and not sure if he was actually injured halfway of the game as he looks to be limping a bit when still being on the pitch.

Subs
McLaughlin - replaced Shah early in the game. A busy box-to-box performance, covered quite a bit of the ground, kept things ticking. Promising signs from him.
Donkor - our most dangerous player on the second half. Relentless running and beating their players from times to times. Had a solo run beating 3-4 players that couldn't get pass their goalkeeper. The only criticism is he might have tried to do too much by himself, as some of the shooting angles don't really make sense.
JJ - yet another goal from a feint and change of direction, and an assist to Silva Mexes. Was much more dangerous and involved today. You can argue that he should have scored more. Shown today why he's one of the most promising talents at the club.
Silva Mexes - also has more of the ball and much more dangerous today, combined well with JJ. Another one of the long line of promising wingers at the club.
Camacho - another composed performance on the middle of the park. A relatively lanky, elegant midfielder. Also took corners well.
Laurie - did his job coming up as an extra defender on around the last 20 min of the game.
Thanks for the detailed reporting.

Thanks to a few for the links, updates and analysis of the performances.

I've been busy the last few days so just catching up with this. I'm about to start watching the first game on YouTube - was the second game not on as I'm struggling to see it anywhere?

Thanks to a few for the links, updates and analysis of the performances.

I've been busy the last few days so just catching up with this. I'm about to start watching the first game on YouTube - was the second game not on as I'm struggling to see it anywhere?

Second match of the trip is on Sunday at (stream starts) 10:40 BST.

Thanks for that - I'd searched the thread and I don't know how I missed it!

My excuse is that it appeared in amongst chat about the first game, and I probably expected to find it afterwards. But I recently did similar in the NI U16 tournament with a starting line up that I just couldn't find - I think I need to get my eyes checked! :lol:

Start as you mean to go on. Friday’s PL2 opener will naturally not be shown live as the Premier League kicks off that evening.

Start as you mean to go on. Friday’s PL2 opener will naturally not be shown live as the Premier League kicks off that evening.
And it's not just the PL - it's us (and Fulham) that are playing at the exact same time as our U21's.

They're alert enough when it comes to avoiding clashes for TV rights, surely it's more important to avoid clashes in terms of not denying the young players being potentially used in both parties - valuable experience travelling with the first team squad, etc, but not being used and so still being able to play for the U21's a day or two either side of it. Instead of a direct clash meaning it's either / or for the youngsters.

Arsenal vs U21s New
Arthur Okonkwo's younger brother starts in goal. 18 years old and only 196cm tall.

A bit surprised Amass is playing here when we have no natural left back available in the squad. He is young but he showed a lot of promise in the games he played in preseason

So Tommy Rowe starts before McAllister and they are 3-0 down after 36 minutes. What is the point of this team?

What is the point of these overaged players? They never add anything to the team on the field of play and they are taking minutes of playing time away from youth prospects.
I don't see many other teams using them, so why do we?

60’

Williams straight red for an ”off the ball incident”. The comeback is off.