Non-televised academy matches | U21s: MCR derby | U18s: Boro vs United | Sat 21 Sep

Shame that Hannibal is leaving, but good to see Murdock coming through. Let's Face it, we need an A-Team representative. :)

Biancheri missed penalty in the 95th minute

From what I can gather, (not sure how reliable it is) it's been mostly United. 67-33% possession, 16-6 on goal attempts and 9-2 corners. So we should have won based on that.

Hm...and now they claim Biancheri scored on a penalty in the 97th minute - maybe it was retaken

Leeds beat Tottenham 3-1 in the other Group B game this afternoon.

Last season’s finalists Man City drew 2-2 with Norwich and are still looking for their first win of the season.

Does anyone know what happened with the Biancheri situation right at the end?

In the 95th minute it said Biancheri missed a penalty
In the 97th minute it said Biancheri scored on a penalty - and the information about him missing a penalty was removed.

My immediate thought was that the Leicester-keeper did something wrong when saving the first penalty, and Biancheri got a second chance and scored - but that is just a theory from my side

Does anyone know what happened with the Biancheri situation right at the end?

In the 95th minute it said Biancheri missed a penalty
In the 97th minute it said Biancheri scored on a penalty - and the information about him missing a penalty was removed.

My immediate thought was that the Leicester-keeper did something wrong when saving the first penalty, and Biancheri got a second chance and scored - but that is just a theory from my side
Potentially Biancheri misses the penalty and is taken out by the keeper on the rebound

No match report on the official site but we do get ten photos with dubious captions, ace. Even if they do start showing a few more games, the issue of the pathetic coverage on the website needs to still be raised and addressed. Not a new thing (they were shamelessly copying third party match reports 15 years or so ago and had the club statistician pulling double duty on match reports for a while) but unacceptable really.

Is it just me or are there no match pages available for each game on the premierleague.com site like there have been previously? You can see the results but there's no link like there is for last year's for example.

Last edited:
Minor thing but it's always annoying that there isn't an official academy and u21 Twitter account by the club.

Afaik Arsenal and City have it

No match report on the official site but we do get ten photos with dubious captions, ace. Even if they do start showing a few more games, the issue of the pathetic coverage on the website needs to still be raised and addressed. Not a new thing (they were shamelessly copying third party match reports 15 years or so ago and had the club statistician pulling double duty on match reports for a while) but unacceptable really.

Is it just me or are there no match pages available for each game on the premierleague.com site like there have been previously? You can see the results but there's no link like there is for last year's for example.

Yeah noticed that too. Agree with your post 100%.

Hope INEOS and co listen to the fans demands. For a club so proud of their youth setup, they should do everything to make fans 'interact' and involved with the youth teams, as it's part of the clubs identity.

I'm sure the job cuts had a big impact but they were half-arsing it for a long time before that.

To be fair SJR and INEOS haven’t been in charge for a long time. So they can only answer for the time they’ve been around.

Hope I'm wrong but that statement combined with the belated scramble to get the games on Fri/Sat onto the schedule makes me suspect this is a token gesture to try and head off the criticism that has been gathering momentum, and we'll be back to patchy coverage at best thereafter.

Total hunch obviously but we know SJR/INEOS are all about trimming the fat on anything that doesn't help the core business, and you could see why academy coverage would fall into that category if you are looking at it that myopically - MUTV I think has made a loss for years, so ok, let's cut back on any programming that costs much to make, fill it even more with re-runs and old games and basically use it as one long infomercial for your commercial arm and your sponsors.

Trouble is this isn't a petrochemicals company, it's a football club and SJR has talked a good game about being a fan and a custodian of the club so he needs to back that up. Penny-pinching in this way isn't good enough and pressure needs to be maintained on them to at the very least restore coverage back to last season's levels. Hopefully it's something that can be taken forward at the fans forum/fan engagement sort of level.

On a side note, I assume we still don't have any sort of video floating round of Biancheri's goals yesterday? It's making my teeth itch not being able to add the assists to my stats :D

It took 11 days for MUTV to conjure up this "brilliant" response, when I asked why they are showing so few matches live:

"Thank you for your email and apologies for the delay in the response.

We endeavour to show as many Academy & Women's matches live on MUTV as possible, however this is not always possible due to global broadcasting rights. We apologise for any disappointment caused.

Thank you for your support. "

It took 11 days for MUTV to conjure up this "brilliant" response, when I asked why they are showing so few matches live:

"Thank you for your email and apologies for the delay in the response.

We endeavour to show as many Academy & Women's matches live on MUTV as possible, however this is not always possible due to global broadcasting rights. We apologise for any disappointment caused.

Thank you for your support. "

Yeah it’s the same bs copy-paste answer they’ve given everyone.

I don’t think they even bothered responding to my last one
They didn't respond to my last one either.

On the other hand, there were newspaper articles talking about the negative fan reaction to the limited Academy coverage on MUTV so far, and they did put both of the next games on (Friday and Saturday).

Though there probably won't be too much on for the rest of the month. No U18 game until the 14th due to internationals, and that one will clash with our first team. No U21 game until the 21st, and that's a Saturday afternoon so won't be on either.

U16s lost 5-3 to Leicester in their Premier League Cup opening fixture. Edward Ibrovic-Fletcher scored twice, playing up front in the absence of Louie Bradbury.

A bit disappointing to miss this game while the first team again stink the place out..