Nfl 2009-2010

The sad thing is that half the Raider fans feel that way too.

Probably more than half. I remember Warren Sapp saying on NFL total access that we've no chance until serious changes are made upstairs, especially scouting talent.

Warren Sapp, we're guessing, won't be guest speaker at the next Al Davis Fan Club meeting.

"Al Davis knows football — it's just '60s and '70s football," the retired defensive tackle told "Inside the NFL" on Showtime. "... He's thinking that Cliff Branch is outside and [Jim] Plunkett is dropping back and you can throw it 80 yards down the field — deep ball, deep ball, deep ball.

"I remember the first two weeks I was there, we played a preseason game. Somebody came up one time and said, 'We're going deep right here, dog.'

"I said, how do you know?

"He said, 'The phone just rang.' "

Warren Sapp, we're guessing, won't be guest speaker at the next Al Davis Fan Club meeting.

"Al Davis knows football — it's just '60s and '70s football," the retired defensive tackle told "Inside the NFL" on Showtime. "... He's thinking that Cliff Branch is outside and [Jim] Plunkett is dropping back and you can throw it 80 yards down the field — deep ball, deep ball, deep ball.

"I remember the first two weeks I was there, we played a preseason game. Somebody came up one time and said, 'We're going deep right here, dog.'

That is why he loves those speedy WR's and why he fell in love with Russel

Wow, the legendary Jim Johnson passed away at age 68 :(

The Philly D-Co, one of the all-time best defensive schemers.

Playing career

Buffalo Bills (1963-1964)

Coaching career

Notre Dame
(Secondary Coach)
(Defensive Coordinator)
(1977-1983)

Oklahoma Outlaws
(Defensive Coordinator)
(1984)

Jacksonville Bulls
(Defensive Coordinator)
(1985)

Arizona Cardinals
(Defensive Line Coach)
(Secondary Coach)
(1986-1993)

Indianapolis Colts
(Defensive Coordinator)
(Linebackers Coach)
(1994-1997)

Seattle Seahawks
(Linebackers Coach)
(1998)

Philadelphia Eagles
(Defensive Coordinator)
(1999-2008)

Eagles defenders have racked up 26 Pro Bowl selections in Johnson's tenure. Former Eagle Brian Dawkins led the way with seven. Other Eagles defenders to go to the Pro Bowl under Johnson include Troy Vincent (five), Jeremiah Trotter (four), Hugh Douglas (three), Lito Sheppard (two), and Trent Cole, Michael Lewis, Asante Samuel, Corey Simon, Bobby Taylor (one each).

May he rest in peace :(

:lol:

Begs the question, who is run worse, Raiders or Newcastle FC?

So is Farve watch over for good this time??

I would hope so, but what if a Tom Brady goes down again the 5th or 6th week, do you think he would turn down a chance to play for a Super Bowl contending team? Of course he would have to be in shape to be even considered for that though.

Personally though I think he is done. In my scenario above I just don't think he would have enough time to get ready in order to take the hits and the physical side of the game.

I would hope so, but what if a Tom Brady goes down again the 5th or 6th week, do you think he would turn down a chance to play for a Super Bowl contending team? Of course he would have to be in shape to be even considered for that though.

Personally though I think he is done. In my scenario above I just don't think he would have enough time to get ready in order to take the hits and the physical side of the game.

Now that would be interesting. I wouldve thought Farve would keep himself in great shape just out of habit, but an unlikely senario nonetheless

Sorry to hear the news about Jim Johnson, this is what should be the big story in the NFL at the moment not Lord Favre’s mood swings. A great defensive mind, whose love for the game was evident in how involved he still was at his age and also as his health deteriorated. I have always enjoyed watching his and LeBeau’s defensive schemes. He was the first to really get to Brady in 2007 and disrupt the offense consistently; you could even say that the things the Eagles did in that game influenced how others played the Patriots for the remainder of the season. I remember Steve Spagnuolo or someone else from the Giants saying something to that affect after they played the Pats and that watching the Eagles game helped their preparation greatly. There are big changes ahead for the Eagles with both him and their defensive leader Brian Dawkins gone. I don’t know much about Sean McDermott but he has big shoes to fill.

The big news in Chicago is that Urlacher told Bobby Wade that Jay Cutler is a pussy. Urlacher denied the story and then called reporters who were reporting the story pussies. Good times in Chicago as they have to report to camp tomorrow. I might just have to stop by camp one of these weekends. If I do I will post some pics.

Where was Jim Johnson from 65-76?

Johnson began his coaching career as head coach at Missouri Southern (1967-68), before serving four-year tenures at Drake University (1969–72) and Indiana University (1973–76). In 1977, Johnson was hired by his former head coach at Missouri, Dan Devine, as defensive backs coach at University of Notre Dame. After helping the 1977 Fighting Irish to win the national championship in his first year, Johnson was later promoted to defensive coordinator and assistant head coach under Gerry Faust.

Leaving Notre Dame in 1984, Johnson coached in the short-lived USFL with the Oklahoma Outlaws (1984) and Jacksonville Bulls (1985). In 1986 he finally entered the NFL as a coach, spending eight seasons with the Arizona Cardinals (1986–93). After overseeing the Cards defensive line for four seasons, Johnson excelled as their secondary coach, helping Aeneas Williams become the first rookie cornerback to lead the league in interceptions (6) since 1981.[5]

In 1994 he joined the Indianapolis Colts as linebackers coach under head coach Ted Marchibroda. After defensive coordinator Vince Tobin left the Colts in 1996 to become head coach of the Cardinals, Johnson was deemed his successor by new Colts head coach Lindy Infante. The Colts finished last in the AFC East in 1997, causing Infante and his staff to be fired.

Johnson spent the 1998 NFL season as linebackers coach on the final staff of Seattle Seahawks head coach Dennis Erickson, before leaving for Philadelphia. He helped the Seahawks register 10 TDs on defense, including 8 INTs returned for scores, 2nd most in NFL history. If Johnson had stayed, he could have stepped into the coordinator's role when Fritz Shurmur died of cancer that summer.[6]

On January 22, 1999, Eagles head coach Andy Reid targeted and hired Jim Johnson as the Eagles new defensive coordinator. Johnson's tenure in Philadelphia was his most successful, as the Eagles won 5 division titles, each reaping the benefits of his defenses. Because head coach Andy Reid is known more for his acumen on the offensive side of the ball, he handed complete control of the defensive unit of the team to Johnson, allowing Reid to concentrate on running the offense with his offensive coordinator, Marty Mornhinweg.

Reid repeatedly said he had full confidence in Johnson and the Eagles rewarded him accordingly, as he became one of the highest paid coordinators in the NFL. "As I've said many times, Jim Johnson is the best in the business at what he does," said Reid upon signing his prized defensive coordinator to a lucrative four-year contract extension in 2005. "His defensive units continue to produce at a very high level as he puts a lot of pressure on opposing offenses." From 2000-07, Johnson's units rank tied for first in the NFL with 342 sacks, second in the league in 3rd down efficiency (34.3%) and red zone touchdown percentage (43.0%), and fourth in fewest points allowed (17.6 per game).

In 2001, Johnson's unit became the fourth team in NFL history to go all 16 games without allowing more than 21 points. Their streak of allowing 21 or fewer in 34 straight games was second longest in NFL history (Minnesota, 1968-71). In 1999, Johnson's unit forced a NFL-best 46 turnovers, including a team-record 5 interceptions returned for TDs.

Eagles defenders have racked up 26 Pro Bowl selections in Johnson's tenure. Former Eagle Brian Dawkins led the way with seven. Other Eagles defenders to go to the Pro Bowl under Johnson include Troy Vincent (five), Jeremiah Trotter (four), Hugh Douglas (three), Lito Sheppard (two), and Trent Cole, Michael Lewis, Asante Samuel, Corey Simon, Bobby Taylor (one each).

On January 29, 2009, it was announced that Johnson was undergoing treatment for melanoma.[7] On May 18, 2009, Johnson announced a leave of absence due to the advancement of his cancer, with secondary coach Sean McDermott taking over duties as the interim defensive coordinator. On July 24, 2009, McDermott was officially named the team's defensive coordinator.

On July 28, 2009, it was announced Johnson had died from cancer.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Johnson_(American_football)

The big news in Chicago is that Urlacher told Bobby Wade that Jay Cutler is a pussy. Urlacher denied the story and then called reporters who were reporting the story pussies. Good times in Chicago as they have to report to camp tomorrow. I might just have to stop by camp one of these weekends. If I do I will post some pics.

That was an one year old news when I was around there then.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:ROFL:

I cannot stop laughing....difficult to remember the last time I was laughing like this.

Yes, yes. I know its early for this thread, but I wanted to talk about all things post Superbowl.

I personally think the Patriots will trade him at some point in pre-season as long a Bradys knee is healing and working well.

I cannot wait for this preseason to finish, Patriots should trade him soon.

No probs mate.

Just read the link and understand the rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football_rules

I will give you company and to gether we can take this thread to great heights.

That'll give you guys a good start. For me it took a couple years to fully understand everything, and they're changing the rules all the time so it isn't easy, especially since there's so many. Of course I was very young when I started watching, so I couldn't grasp a few concepts simply because I was too thick at the time.

Another good, but expensive, source is the latest Madden game. That will teach you a lot about all the strategy and some about the basic rules, but of course, remember that it's just a simulation. Some things don't always work in real life the way they do in the game, but it's a great way to learn players and playcalling strategy. Stay away from the NFL Head Coach game. That's a poor excuse for a manager game.

As for Al Davis, Raiders fans will support Al Davis because they're incredibly defensive when other teams make fun of them for Mr. Davis's flaws. Around draft day, they hate him for subjecting them to that type of torture. Of course, without him they would've never won three Super Bowls and his decisions to hire minority coaches and staff long before anyone else ever did revolutionized the sport, and they're grateful to him for that, but they're pretty much sick of the circus that is the NFL Draft for them.

That'll give you guys a good start. For me it took a couple years to fully understand everything, and they're changing the rules all the time so it isn't easy, especially since there's so many. Of course I was very young when I started watching, so I couldn't grasp a few concepts simply because I was too thick at the time.

Another good, but expensive, source is the latest Madden game. That will teach you a lot about all the strategy and some about the basic rules, but of course, remember that it's just a simulation. Some things don't always work in real life the way they do in the game, but it's a great way to learn players and playcalling strategy. Stay away from the NFL Head Coach game. That's a poor excuse for a manager game.

As for Al Davis, Raiders fans will support Al Davis because they're incredibly defensive when other teams make fun of them for Mr. Davis's flaws. Around draft day, they hate him for subjecting them to that type of torture. Of course, without him they would've never won three Super Bowls and his decisions to hire minority coaches and staff long before anyone else ever did revolutionized the sport, and they're grateful to him for that, but they're pretty much sick of the circus that is the NFL Draft for them.

Cheers mate, ive been playing the Madden game for 6 months or so and ive picked up loads, i also enjoy watching the videos on NFL.com, entertaining and educational! Warren Sapp is funny.. The first NFL game ive properly watched was the superbowl, got some mates round and it was a good night!

He'll pop up in October...

i hope to hell not. most of us Packer fans were ready for him to retire the first time. thought everything was finally done and then we had to endure all the crap of last summer when he unretired and forced that move to the jets. then he retires again and starts flirting with the vikings (who he wanted to go to all along). a lot of Packer fans were actually starting to hate him for his drama-queen antics. with his latest statement there's a chance some healing can start (for fans). i just grew very bored with it all.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/05/19/deangelo-hall-claims-al-davis-didnt-know-anything-about-tom-cab/

DeAngelo Hall Claims Al Davis Didn't Know Anything About Tom Cable
Posted May 19, 2009 10:40AM By Ryan Wilson (RSS feed)

Last season, the Raiders paid DeAngleo Hall $8 million for eight weeks of service before cutting bait. Not the best use of the salary cap, but it makes sense when put in perspective: Oakland has had four coaches, four quarterbacks and 16 wins in four years. Blowing $8 million on Hall is nothing.

Hall wasn't out of work long; he signed with the Redskins and played well enough to get a long-term deal (apparently, leaving Oakland is good for your career).

But even days after Al Davis released him, he had nothing but good things to say about Lane Kiffin's archnemesis, telling the Sports Bog's Dan Steinberg: "It wasn't so much that it didn't work. Al Davis is a great guy, he's an honest guy, and what he told me was, 'We're not as good as I thought we were as a team, so we need to try to clear up some [cap] room.'"

But during a recent radio interview on WJFK (Washington, DC), Hall stopped being polite and started getting real. Or something:
"Probably the funniest thing, I was pretty close to Lane Kiffin...and after they fired Lane and were about to announce who the next coach was - I don't know if you guys saw this in the media world, but I was actually sitting there live, me and a couple other players there in the back. And [Davis] went through this whole spiel of what happened...and said our next coach is Tom Cable, he's going to be our interim coach.

When everybody paused for Tom to come in, like a breakoff. [Davis] goes to the media guide and not even whispering says 'hey, anyone got any information on this Tom Cable guy, I don't know where he comes from.' That's just vintage Al Davis. Making a move, not really knowing why, no real justification for doing it. But just saying, 'hey, I want this guy, let's get him, I'll figure everything else out later.' And that's just how Al Davis is."

Yes, that's just how Al Davis rolls. No idea if it's true, but it certainly seems plausible. On the upside, maybe Davis hiring a guy he knows nothing about is the best thing for the organization. I mean, if every instinct Big Al has is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right.

Michael Crabtree seems like he is an idiot who is being handled by idiots(unless of course he gets the money he wants, but that is highly unlikely)
Adviser" confirms that Crabtree is prepared to sit
Posted by Mike Florio on August 6, 2009 2:16 PM ET
We reported earlier today that agent Eugene Parker has advised the 49ers that receiver Michael Crabtree is willing to sit out the entire 2009 season, due to a lingering dispute regarding the contract to be given to the tenth overall pick in the draft.

Coincidentally (or, you know, not) Joe Schad of ESPN.com reports that David Wells, Crabtree's cousin and adviser, has confirmed that, indeed, Crabtree is willing to sit.

"We are prepared to do it," Wells said. "Michael just wants fair-market value. They took him with the 10th pick and you have Darrius Heyward-Bey getting $38 million? This week is crucial. Michael was one of the best players in the draft and he just wants to be paid like one of the best players. This week is very crucial."

Though Cris Carter might get a chuckle out of the slap at DHB, the reality is that the Crabtree was the tenth overall pick, and that's how he fairly should be paid.

Meanwhile, John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli of ESPN are pooh-poohing the notion -- with virtually identical talking points -- that Parker has suggested that Crabtree will sit out. (So, basically, they embrace the aspects of a PFT report that they like, and they reserve the right to ignore the rest of it.)

Finally, and as we've pointed out, if Crabtree sits out, he won't be able to work out for or talk to any other teams in the days and weeks preceding the 2010 draft, since the 49ers holds Crabtree's rights until the day of the draft.

or

Source: Parker tells Niners that Crabtree will re-enter draft
Posted by Mike Florio on August 6, 2009 11:52 AM ET
The situation in San Francisco between the 49ers and receiver Michael Crabtree is quickly going from bad to worse.

Per a league source, agent Eugene Parker is telling the 49ers that Crabtree will sit out the season and re-enter the draft in 2010, unless the team gives Crabtree what he wants.

Of course, what Crabtree specifically wants isn't known, since Parker (as multiple sources tell us) still hasn't made a proposal.

There's also a growing chorus of league insiders who are speaking out against the widely-believed effort by Parker to blow up the slotting process with Crabtree. Teams obviously would contend that the unwritten rules of draft-pick negotiation ritual should be honored; however, some of the agents who arguably would benefit from the introduction of chaos privately have described efforts to blow the curve as "inappropriate" and "unacceptable" and "wrong."

And if Crabtree opts to re-enter the draft next year, the current thinking is that he wouldn't be the first receiver drafted. For now, the guy who is regarded as likely to be the first wideout (and possibly the first overall pick) is Illinois junior Arrelious Benn.

Then again, if Crabtree is picked any higher than No. 10 after having a chance to engage in pre-draft workouts, he'd likely end up with more money than the slotting process currently would pay.

After, of course, waiting a year to get it.

Apparently his plan is not the smartest...

Crabtree's plan has a fairly large flaw
Posted by Mike Florio on August 6, 2009 2:01 PM ET
So let's assume that 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree decides to sit out the entire 2009 season and re-enter the draft, due to his discontent with the team's contract offer.

As multiple sources have advised us in the wake of our report that agent Eugene Parker has told the Niners that Crabtree is willing to take his chances in 2010, there's a problem with that plan.

The 49ers will continue to hold his rights up until draft day.

And so, without the permission of the 49ers, Crabtree can't go to the Scouting Combine. He can't work out for any teams. He can't meet with any teams. He can't talk to any teams.

It's not a CBA term, but a league rule. Thus, the union might try to challenge the ability to keep Crabtree from properly re-positioning himself in the next draft.

Moreover, nothing will prevent Crabtree from working out for the media, or from issuing press releases (or tweets) regarding his speed in the 40-yard dash, which wasn't measured this year due to his foot injury.

But most scouts will want to cut through the possible B.S. and see for themselves how fast Crabtree can run, and whether he can do all the other things that the scouts like to see before using a first-round pick on a player.

Even if Crabtree were able to work out, some teams would shy away from him due simply to the fact that he created so much havoc for the 49ers.

So even though Crabtree seems sufficiently brash to give it a try, he and his agent need to think it all through a lot more carefully before using the draft-pick equivalent of the nuclear option.

The whole Crabtree situation is just annoying me. And it's slightly irking me as well that Singletary isn't speaking up more about it, partially due to the fact that he himself held out as a player when drafted.

He hasn't proven a damn thing in the NFL so if he wants ridiculous money, he won't get it. He doesn't have to guarantee himself a lot of money with this contract either, because the 49ers have, on numerous occasions recently, proven themselves to be especially quick to give players lucrative contract extensions once they've proven themselves worthy.

The team went through so much salary cap hell in the late 90s and early 2000s. I couldn't stand to see them back in the same position because a potentially high pick fell to them and held out. If they can't get something done, then trade his rights and move on. Josh Morgan is having a great training camp so far. It would be nice if he and Crabtree could play together, but if not, we'll move on without Crabtree.

feck Crabtree, I hate him worse than Tevez, John Terry, and Adebayor in a sticky gay orgy.

I liked watching him in college, but he seems like a real big douche bag through all the stories I have read about him. Like everyone has said before in this thread the NFL needs to have some type of structure for the draft so that rookies who have never played the game don't get paid so much money.

I like the draft system in theory, but it just isnt working properly in practice. There definitely needs to be a salary cap for rookies. Electing to miss out the vital training camps before your first professional season is crazy.

Raiders grant Burgess' wish, ship two-time Pro Bowl DE to Patriots

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots acquired Derrick Burgess on Thursday after the two-time Pro Bowl defensive end held out of Oakland Raiders training camp in the hopes of being traded

The Patriots gave up undisclosed draft considerations for Burgess, who's coming off an injury-plagued season in which he had 3.5 sacks in 10 games. New England released offensive lineman Al Johnson to create roster room for Burgess.

The trade was announced on the ninth day of Burgess' holdout from the team with which he recorded 38.5 sacks in four seasons, including a club-record and league-best 16 in 2005. Burgess had 11 sacks the next season and made the Pro Bowl both times in 2005 and 2006.

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/sto...late=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Id like to know what we got for him.

Id like to know what we got for him.

The following are the terms that the Patriots and Raiders agreed to in the trade for veteran Derrick Burgess, according to a league source. The Patriots trade a 2010 third-round draft choice and a 2010 fourth-round draft choice to Oakland.

The trade has a condition that if the Patriots pick up a 2010 fifth-round draft choice (their pick was traded to Tampa Bay for Alex Smith), that pick will go to Oakland instead of the 2010 fourth-round draft choice.

From Mike Reiss at the Boston Globe.