Nfl 2009-2010

when crabtree fell to the Packers i was very excited...but they went for need instead. hope they don't rue the day. :nervous:

Don't think they will...

My teams assessment: (Falcons) we went to where we needed help, there was an obvious call for defensive stability and we've done that, signing 2 guys who will jump right into our system and contribute, with age and experience and strong play in the college game, we've made a statement that our D will be better, for cheaper, and long-term.

With Moore especially, who could be the steal of the draft, we have special teams and creative ability with his diversity and multi-talented skills.

rachel-nichols.png

RACHAEL NICOLS; I WOULD

I am wondering what is going on with Rey Maualuga.

Not only did the Pats pass on him at 23, but they traded down and picked three other players around the same area when they had the flexibilty to move and get him if needs be. Maybe the rumours about him not being too smart and having other concerns (alcohol) are true, or maybe the teams did not think he was a three down player. I still think he will have a better career than Matthews or Cushing.

Exactly what I said when they made that pick. feckin brilliant. This whole time I was expecting to get an OT or DE/OLB but completely forgot about the Raiders. Not like the 49ers had much of a choice though since it was a rather obvious pick after the Raiders passed him up. God bless Al Davis for being Al Davis.

Not only that we managed to trade our second round pick plus our fourth for Carolina's first round pick next year. Carolina now pencils themselves in on my list of teams to root against next year.

Edit: Between this and United this is shaping up to be a pretty fantastic sports day.

I was pretty annoyed, Crabtree looks like he could be very good. Cable seemed really excited by DHB though:

"This is a guy that I had targeted a month ago," Cable said. "He's the one guy who's made everyone better around him. We needed the ability to throw the ball over people's head, and JaMarcus has obviously shown he can out-throw most everything. This is a guy now who can go run that down and catch it."

Also compared him to Randy Moss...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ffab4b&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Round 3: Christopher Owens

Again the Falcons address defence, but instead of picking a guy whose ready, we snag a project who will work wonders in a zone D with great hands.

The Good is that he Looks and plays a lot bigger than his frame indicates. He displays great read-and-react ability in Cover 2 and consistently breaks on the ball. Possesses the smooth, compact footwork that allows him to explode out of his breaks toward the ball. Has a second gear and can really close in a hurry. Plays aggressively and shows the toughness to fight for the ball and tackle in the run game. Seems like he would work wonders in a strong safety slot as well.

The Bad news is like Chris Houston, he still needs to work on his back-pedal; has a tendency to sidesaddle in his drop which allows speed recievers to blow past him, hopefully his own speed will cancel this out long-term. Seems like he opens his hips way too early and allow too many easy passes underneath which means he can get exposed in both passing styles.

I was pretty annoyed, Crabtree looks like he could be very good. Cable seemed really excited by DHB though:

"This is a guy that I had targeted a month ago," Cable said. "He's the one guy who's made everyone better around him. We needed the ability to throw the ball over people's head, and JaMarcus has obviously shown he can out-throw most everything. This is a guy now who can go run that down and catch it."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ffab4b&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Yeah I don't know much about the player so I'll reserve judgement, but what I think most people are livid about isn't the talent but the fact that Davis could've traded down to the 20th spot to get DHB and maybe an extra pick instead of using the 7th pick on him and having to pay him a lot of money.

Same thing with Janikowski. He turned out to be a very good kicker so the pick isn't a total bust but the fact that they could've gotten him later is the reason why that pick was stupid. Same thing also with that safety they got in the second round. By all accounts he is a sleeper talent but they could've waited until the 6th or 7th round to get him. Hell. They could've traded away the 7th pick and received a mid-first round pick plus a 6th round pick in return and used the 6th on that safety and they still would've had a bunch of second round talent (which was an absolute gold mine this year) to choose from.

Yeah I don't know much about the player so I'll reserve judgement, but what I think most people are livid about isn't the talent but the fact that Davis could've traded down to the 20th spot to get DHB and maybe an extra pick instead of using the 7th pick on him and having to pay him a lot of money.

Same thing with Janikowski. He turned out to be a very good kicker so the pick isn't a total bust but the fact that they could've gotten him later is the reason why that pick was stupid. Same thing also with that safety they got in the second round. By all accounts he is a sleeper talent but they could've waited until the 6th or 7th round to get him. Hell. They could've traded away the 7th pick and received a mid-first round pick plus a 6th round pick in return and used the 6th on that safety and they still would've had a bunch of second round talent (which was an absolute gold mine this year) to choose from.

Yeah is a good point about trading down, maybe they couldnt get the right deal, or didnt want to risk losing DHB.

According to NFL.com the Bears had called the safety (forget his name) and said they were planning on picking him at 49, so maybe it wasnt such a bad move. Would love to see him come on and make Al Davis look like i a genius ;)

Yeah is a good point about trading down, maybe they couldnt get the right deal, or didnt want to risk losing DHB.

According to NFL.com the Bears had called the safety (forget his name) and said they were planning on picking him at 49, so maybe it wasnt such a bad move. Would love to see him come on and make Al Davis look like i a genius ;)

Yeah you never really know what goes on in these circumstances. Still this sort of thing seems to happen to Al Davis a lot.

So the Raiders didnt go for Crabtree, went for the faster guy, no surprise!

Fo sho. Davis is obsessed with speed. He feels that's how the NFL still works. The QB drops back and heaves it up 40-60 yards down field. That hasn't worked since the Jim Plunkett days!

I remember Sapp talking about there's this phone on the sideline that is a direct line from the owner's box. And that it would ring and no one would answer because everyone knew it was Davis trying to call in a deep bomb passing play. :lol:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sidelinechatter/2008231002_chat06.html

The guy was HONORABLE MENTION ALL-ACC... not dominant... shut out at times with zero catches in games... he's nothing like Moss... who was an ALL-AMERICAN and Heisman hype... if he got shut out by ACC opposition wtf will he do in the NFL? Maybe he'll have better supporting talent and go on to be a great player. But Crabtree is a certain top player... no doubt. Yet another bonehead move by the Raiders, err Al Davis.

Crabtree will be a good NFL player, no doubt better than the guy the Raiders drafted, but I dont think Crabtree is a nailed on star by any means

The Minnesota Vikings haven't discussed the possibility of pursuing veteran quarterback Brett Favre. Yet.

Speaking on the first day of his team's rookie minicamp, coach Brad Childress said there hasn't been time to discuss the New York Jets' decision to release Favre. The move made Favre a free agent, raising speculation he was considering a return to the game despite releasing a statement in which he said his plans were to remain retired "at this time."

"We talk about everything," Childress said. "So yeah, I'm sure we'll talk about that."

Sweet Jesus, I get the feeling it's starting all over again.

Peter King - Monday Morning QB: Enjoyable/Aggravating Travel Note of the Week.

I got away with my wife to visit my brother and his family in England over the weekend, and we took in a Barclay's Premier League soccer game between Manchester City and the Blackburn Rovers. City won 3-1 in a thoroughly entertaining 90 minutes of sport -- my first big-league soccer game in England.

Lots of interesting things. No drinking in the stands (but a ton of it outside, and underneath the stands), and no constant getting up and down to go get pizza and beer and whatever. I've never seen so many suits and women in fine dresses at a sports event, except maybe for the Kentucky Derby; the sidelines and club seats were thick with fashion plates.

The enthusiasm of the crowd, particularly the end-zone nutjobs, never wavered. From the opening kick to the end of the game to the walk back to Manchester Piccadilly station to the train from Manchester back to my brother's train stop 80 minutes south, the chanting and drunken (I'm assuming) exuberance never stopped. Some of the chants were silly -- "We got Keith Andrews, who needs Robinho?'' was one of the Rovers fans' favorites, referring to their star and the one from Manchester City they hated -- and most I couldn't comprehend, but they never, ever stopped. Yellow-coated police formed a barrier in the end zone between the Blackburn and Manchester City supporters, but the cops never had to lift a finger from what I saw.

I walked away wondering if there's anything in America like the constant hum of a 90-minute match with the kind of tradition football in Britain has. I'm not sure there is. Maybe a big college-football rivalry or a Red Sox-Yankees playoff game, or Canadiens-Leafs when both are hot. I don't know. I doubt it. And I wondered: Could an NFL team in London ever hope to generate the kind of fervor this does? I don't see how.

Now, the Patriots and Bucs will have a spirited crowd for their game in October at Wembley Stadium, but as my brother points out, that's one game, and this country still has no idea by and large who Tom Brady is. It'd take a generation of building to get the NFL to have a chance to make some impact here. I'm not saying it shouldn't be tried, but it'd be an awfully long road for the NFL to compete in England.

manchester-city.jpg

I thought this was interesting, but refuse to read his articles again after this blue revelation!

Have any of you Americans been over here to watch a live game? Are the differences in crowds etc he outlines fair?

I was just wondering if anyone is able to compare both game day experiences, I am yet to see an NFL game on American soil. There has to be a United fan on here from England who went to games here and then moved to America afterwards or something like that. Specifically, he talks about the enthusiasm of the crowd and less leaving the seats for refreshments and small details like that. Is the tradition/atmosphere of a football match here closer to that of a big college-football rivalry rather than an NFL game as he seems to imply?

I was just wondering if anyone is able to compare both game day experiences, I am yet to see an NFL game on American soil. There has to be a United fan on here from England who went to games here and then moved to America afterwards or something like that. Specifically, he talks about the enthusiasm of the crowd and less leaving the seats for refreshments and small details like that. Is the tradition/atmosphere of a football match here closer to that of a big college-football rivalry rather than an NFL game as he seems to imply?

Well I could be the next best thing, having been to OT and Old Wembley and also to Giants Stadium, the Georgia Dome and Soldier Field...

In terms of atmosphere, nothing compared to Old Wembley, but the fans at Solider Field, for only the second game of the season, it was out of this world. The only match at Old Trafford I attended was the 1-0 defeat to Sunderland a few seasons back and the crowd was dire, nothing but frustrating moans and groans and alot of negativity.

The Georgia Dome is never filled with plastics, all real fans in Atlanta so the game dictated the mood.

As for the consessions, at the NFL grounds they constantly had people up and down the aisles, and so they don't get in the way of the game they'd sit down to respect the crowd.

As for your question, it's 100% correct to imply that most PL matches contend with big match College Football football, but we're talking 25-30 K compared to 100,000 people in a regular College game.

Lifelong Cowboys (and Longhorns) fan so I know a thing or two about gridiron football. The NFL crowd has nothing on the football crowd. I attended the game when Emmitt Smith broke Walter Payton's rushing record (most cherished record in the NFL) and even though that game had history and passion, it was nowhere near the level of passion I experienced at the Meadowlands watching an exhibition match between United and Milan. That sums it up.

The closest there is to crowd passion in football would be a big college gridiron football rivalry like Oklahoma/Texas and Michigan/Ohio State to name a couple. I suppose Duke/North Carolina basketball could be compared but on a smaller level since there's only around 15,000 in attendance. But all three games have a huge buildup to the game, street parties, etc. The Oklahoma/Texas game is unique due to the location being neutral and held basically the same distance from each school. It's also during The State Fair of Texas and the days leading up to, during and after the game it's like walking in a sea of burnt orange and crimson. Plenty of trash talk, fights, and drunken behavior to match that of a football rivalry.

Well I could be the next best thing, having been to OT and Old Wembley and also to Giants Stadium, the Georgia Dome and Soldier Field...

In terms of atmosphere, nothing compared to Old Wembley, but the fans at Solider Field, for only the second game of the season, it was out of this world. The only match at Old Trafford I attended was the 1-0 defeat to Sunderland a few seasons back and the crowd was dire, nothing but frustrating moans and groans and alot of negativity.

The Georgia Dome is never filled with plastics, all real fans in Atlanta so the game dictated the mood.

As for the consessions, at the NFL grounds they constantly had people up and down the aisles, and so they don't get in the way of the game they'd sit down to respect the crowd.

As for your question, it's 100% correct to imply that most PL matches contend with big match College Football football, but we're talking 25-30 K compared to 100,000 people in a regular College game.

The old joke when I lived in Atlanta was that a guy left his Atlanta Flacons tickets on his dashboard when he went into \, when he came back his window was broken and two more Falcons tickets were on his dashboard

The old joke when I lived in Atlanta was that a guy left his Atlanta Flacons tickets on his dashboard when he went into \, when he came back his window was broken and two more Falcons tickets were on his dashboard

:lol::lol:

Oh well, just when Matt Light had a little break from getting routinely dominated twice a year Taylor is back in a Dolphins uniform. With Porter coming off the other side as well; it’s not exactly ideal when protecting Brady is even more important this year. You can’t have a tight end or back helping out with both of them. Bit disappointed he did not choose the Pats; there is a real need there and Woods, Crable and Redd have a lot to prove. The only available free agents who seem to fit the bill are ex-players Colvin and McGinest; this is something I don’t want to see. Hopefully one of the younger, faster guys steps up.

Brett Favre underwent surgery recently and appears that he will signing with the Vikings immenently

Jarron Gilbert's was still more impressive I think, when considering the water and him weighing around 300 pounds.

i think that happened last year with great matt ryan acquisition. there was no chance he, vick, would ever make another appearance for them.

Oh no I agree 100%, however now we're no longer connected with him anymore, I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief and get ready to spend the millions we have free next season.

Alex, what are your thoughts on the Brandon Marshall situation?

Seems to be mostly contract related as he is only due to make $2.2 million this upcoming season. Though he is not as good as Fitzgerald, there is quite a discrepancy in their salaries with him reportedly due to earn $9 million + this year. Trade him/let him hold out? Or ignore the health, maturity and legal issues then reward him for back to back 100 catch seasons?

Oh no I agree 100%, however now we're no longer connected with him anymore, I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief and get ready to spend the millions we have free next season.

I’m not sure where Vick goes from here to be honest, it’s doubtful he will have the same athleticism as before and also remember that he was picking up little injuries more frequently before he went to prison. It’s been quite a while since he was on the field.

There also seems to be less room for running quarterbacks. The emphasis in the league seems to be two back systems and offenses built on accurate QB’s and short, high percentage passes. Look at the current situations of Vince Young and Tarvaris Jackson. Vick failed to throw for 3,000 yards for Atlanta, could not take advantage of his elite arm strength consistently and at times showed little touch and precision. Through his entire career Vick never developed properly as a passer. Would better receivers and an offensive line have helped him? Maybe, but it’s hard to say.

Do you think someone bringing him into a situation where they already have a stable QB in place would be the best option? Then creating a specific package for him as in some form of the Wildcat? Not sure about it myself due to the athleticism concerns I talked about earlier and also the bad publicity etc it will bring. The thing is, I think he deserves another chance. He has done his time but I just don’t see where he fits in. Actually, I think he would look good next to crazy Al in silver and black, that’s about it!

Seems to be mostly contract related as he is only due to make $2.2 million this upcoming season. Though he is not as good as Fitzgerald, there is quite a discrepancy in there salaries with him reportedly due to earn $9 million + this year. Trade him/let him hold out? Or ignore the health, maturity and legal issues then reward him for back to back 100 catch seasons?

Keep him, I don't know what to think really now, when we now have a shit QB and Marshall is less valuable at this point than when the Broncos had Cutler. He is easily a top 5 WR in the NFL and is 2nd in receptions in the last two years. I guess either way I look at it now the Broncos are fecked in the short term, that said they are still a better team with a playmaker like Marshall at wideout

Seems to be mostly contract related as he is only due to make $2.2 million this upcoming season. Though he is not as good as Fitzgerald, there is quite a discrepancy in their salaries with him reportedly due to earn $9 million + this year. Trade him/let him hold out? Or ignore the health, maturity and legal issues then reward him for back to back 100 catch seasons?

Did he not request a trade a week ago?

I’m not sure where Vick goes from here to be honest, it’s doubtful he will have the same athleticism as before and also remember that he was picking up little injuries more frequently before he went to prison. It’s been quite a while since he was on the field.

There also seems to be less room for running quarterbacks. The emphasis in the league seems to be two back systems and offenses built on accurate QB’s and short, high percentage passes. Look at the current situations of Vince Young and Tarvaris Jackson. Vick failed to throw for 3,000 yards for Atlanta, could not take advantage of his elite arm strength consistently and at times showed little touch and precision. Through his entire career Vick never developed properly as a passer. Would better receivers and an offensive line have helped him? Maybe, but it’s hard to say.

Do you think someone bringing him into a situation where they already have a stable QB in place would be the best option? Then creating a specific package for him as in some form of the Wildcat? Not sure about it myself due to the athleticism concerns I talked about earlier and also the bad publicity etc it will bring. The thing is, I think he deserves another chance. He has done his time but I just don’t see where he fits in. Actually, I think he would look good next to crazy Al in silver and black, that’s about it!

I share the same questions and comments as your mate, and he'd still be the premier option in a wildcat offence so I think someone will take a chance upon re-instatement, in a market that wont care about his history (Very few, but the likes of New England, Miami, Oakland, San Diego, etc come to mind as fanbases that would embrace Vick) and a place where he could be a frequent member of a developing offensive unit.

He's still fit, it's been documented he'd played football and basketball while in jail, he's worked out and stayed physically stable, and his god given talents aren't just going to diminish with some time away from the game, if anything it cleans his football slate and makes him a better player.

Did he not request a trade a week ago?

Yeah, he did in a meeting with Bowlan according to his agent. It’s not really clear at this point whether he is protesting because he has medical trust issues and wants a pay raise, or if he simply wants out and it is another Cutler situation. Marshall and McDaniels also seem to be sending out very different messages:

"To whom it may concern. Life is filled with change, and where I am in my life now change is probably best. It's hard leaving an organization ran by one of the best owners in all of sports, and someone who's been there for me through my ups and downs. The hardest thing was hearing Mr. B wish me luck in the future, but we both came to the conclusion that this is probably the best thing for me to grow on and off the field. I thank the Denver fans who embraced my emotion and play on the field and showing me love every time I step outside my door." Marshall on his blog.

"We met after Pat's meeting with Brandon Marshall, and we've decided that we will continue to have a dialogue with Brandon and his representative, but we are looking forward to having Brandon at training camp," McDaniels.

Hmmm, sour grapes to me.

A highly confusing one this is, kind of reminds me of when Joe Jurevicius left the Bucs.

While I bring his name up, didn't realise he's one of only seven players to play in 3 different Super Bowls with 3 different teams.

In regards to Vick. Yeah, I expect him to be fit but it’s just there is a difference between that and being in football shape. I think it is hard to expect him to be what he was after his nutrition/workout habits in there; no matter what he did it’s still not the same as living and breathing football. He will still be fast though even if there is a little drop off, he is one of the fasters players I have ever seen take the field, we have all seen him out run cornerbacks from ridiculous angles.

The major problem is the hits he will take, especially if he is in a running back/wildcat role. I see him getting banged up frequently and he will be a marked man out there too. I can’t see him being a better player because of a clean slate either to be honest, though I suppose there is a chance and I would like to see it. The chance of that success coming at the Quarterback position is even slimmer, in my opinion.

What a fecking joke how did Stallworth get a 30 day sentence for DUI manslaughter and Vick get a year; makes a lot of sense doesnt it? NFL have suspended him indefinently hopefully that becomes forever

I didn`t follow Vick`s case closely, but wasn`t it more the cover-up and lying to cops/feds/jury/something that got him into the deeper shit?