Nfl 2009-2010

Sorry if I hurt your feelings :angel: You guys have gotten hot at the right time, but I dont feel you have any good wins other than Dallas and Baltimore. That said at least you will be in the playoffs

they can only play the teams on their schedule. no hurt feelings. Packer fans have thick skins...especially ones who live in dallas. :lol:

True, but I do feel if you come across the Vikings, Saints, or Cowboys I think you will be badly beaten

True, but I do feel if you come across the Vikings, Saints, or Cowboys I think you will be badly beaten

we'll see...vikes-struggling, saints-struggling, boys-coming alive. if all holds to form the boys will be in minn, GB will be in arizona, minn will most likely win and then go to philly to play in the cold (brett doesn't like the cold). GB could beat zona and then play no. who knows...with a little luck it could be GB and philly in the nfc championship game.

AS...good call sir!

4199 and 29 with one game to go. ;)

Thank yoooou.

Waiting for Alex now...

we'll see...vikes-struggling, saints-struggling, boys-coming alive. if all holds to form the boys will be in minn, GB will be in arizona, minn will most likely win and then go to philly to play in the cold (brett doesn't like the cold). GB could beat zona and then play no. who knows...with a little luck it could be GB and philly in the nfc championship game.

There's a whole lot of what ifs, but the way I see it is: If i'm looking for a sneaky pick to maybe take the NFC, its Rodgers.

As its been said, they've improved the offensive line tremendously the second half, which is being shown in results... I think they can go to NO, Dallas AND Philly and get results, it's Minny (Which they've had hanging over their head this season) that sparks questions, but the way the Vikings have looked to close out this season, you wonder if Green Bay had THESE Vikes, if they'd have gotten the results.

Pro Bowl picks came out today, no Bengals... more proof the world does not rate Carson Palmer, shame.

The worst statistic in all of sports. I just laugh when people brag about passer ratings.

I'm one of the dweebs that actually knows the formula, and I can confirm that it's a stupid one. It's actually a decent example formula to test out your programming skills on since it's so complex so you can test a lot of different things but that's beside the point.

Say Jamarcus Russell goes 1-10 for 7 yards, 1 TD (off the facemask of Darrius Heyward-Bey and into the hands of Zach Miller), and 0 interceptions (overthrew the defenders too). We can probably agree that that's a pretty bad stat line.

That's a 72.9 rating. Not great, but probably not indicative of how bad the performance is.

Four categories: Completion percentage, average yards per pass, touchdown percentage, and interception percentage. The last two categories he would have received PERFECT scores for. You can accumulate a quarter of the points it takes to reach that max value of 158.3 by simply not throwing an interception. Also if you've thrown interceptions and your completion percentage is already crap and you don't have any touchdowns, you might even be able to increase your quarterback rating by throwing a shit-ton more passes, complete or incomplete, because it lowers your interception percentage.

I think they can go to NO, Dallas AND Philly and get results, it's Minny (Which they've had hanging over their head this season) that sparks questions, but the way the Vikings have looked to close out this season, you wonder if Green Bay had THESE Vikes, if they'd have gotten the results.

they played minn early in the season before they got the o-line situation corrected and before they came together defensively (remember it's a totally new defense for them...the 3-4). if you remember those games, GB played them tough. i think the nfc is wide open. n.o. has had to out-score people all season to win because their d isn't that great, dallas hasn't been that great on either side of the ball, minn's lost 3 out of their last four, arizona's been hot/cold, philly and GB had poor first halves but good second halves.

I'm one of the dweebs that actually knows the formula, and I can confirm that it's a stupid one. It's actually a decent example formula to test out your programming skills on since it's so complex so you can test a lot of different things but that's beside the point.

Say Jamarcus Russell goes 1-10 for 7 yards, 1 TD (off the facemask of Darrius Heyward-Bey and into the hands of Zach Miller), and 0 interceptions (overthrew the defenders too). We can probably agree that that's a pretty bad stat line.

That's a 72.9 rating. Not great, but probably not indicative of how bad the performance is.

Four categories: Completion percentage, average yards per pass, touchdown percentage, and interception percentage. The last two categories he would have received PERFECT scores for. You can accumulate a quarter of the points it takes to reach that max value of 158.3 by simply not throwing an interception. Also if you've thrown interceptions and your completion percentage is already crap and you don't have any touchdowns, you might even be able to increase your quarterback rating by throwing a shit-ton more passes, complete or incomplete, because it lowers your interception percentage.

i agree it can be skewed for the odd game or two but you have to agree that for the long hall it's a good measure of general quarterback play.

they played minn early in the season before they got the o-line situation corrected and before they came together defensively (remember it's a totally new defense for them...the 3-4). if you remember those games, GB played them tough. i think the nfc is wide open. n.o. has had to out-score people all season to win because their d isn't that great, dallas hasn't been that great on either side of the ball, minn's lost 3 out of their last four, arizona's been hot/cold, philly and GB had poor first halves but good second halves.

Much like last year, I just wish my Falcons were a little further on, last year we could have shocked alot of people, this year if we got in we'd have a chance.

Blah.

Anyways I tried that playoff scenario creater thingamajigg, here's what I got:

NFL - Playoff Scenario Generator- Yahoo! Sports

Nothing really surprising.

Much like last year, I just wish my Falcons were a little further on, last year we could have shocked alot of people, this year if we got in we'd have a chance.

Blah.

Anyways I tried that playoff scenario creater thingamajigg, here's what I got:

NFL - Playoff Scenario Generator- Yahoo! Sports

Nothing really surprising.

atlanta's not far from being a very good team. i think the Pack play atlanta, in atlanta, next season.

i've been on-board with miami all season but i think pitt will get in. that'll be a good game to watch. n.e. is a bad road team and that game in houston will be tough for them. i think philly will come to dallas and beat the boys. gonna be a very interesting weekend.

i agree it can be skewed for the odd game or two but you have to agree that for the long hall it's a good measure of general quarterback play.

Not really. It favors QBs in short passing schemes that rack up tons of completions inside 7 yards and with receivers than get tons of YAC. Gambling QBs and ones that will run don't always get high passer ratings over the course of a season. Yet that stat doesn't measure the number one stat - wins. It also fails to assess the QB can beat you with his feet too. For example, Favre is considered by many as the best/one of the best QBs ever and he's never in his career lead the league in passer rating.

Look at the highest career rated passers and they're all from the modern era. No Unitas or Staubach or Stabler or Tarkenton. At one point Bulger was the fifth highest rated passer of all-time. :wenger:

Not really. It favors QBs in short passing schemes that rack up tons of completions inside 7 yards and with receivers than get tons of YAC. Gambling QBs and ones that will run don't always get high passer ratings over the course of a season. Yet that stat doesn't measure the number one stat - wins. It also fails to assess the QB can beat you with his feet too. For example, Favre is considered by many as the best/one of the best QBs ever and he's never in his career lead the league in passer rating.

Look at the highest career rated passers and they're all from the modern era. No Unitas or Staubach or Stabler or Tarkenton. At one point Bulger was the fifth highest rated passer of all-time. :wenger:

I can agree with gbgary that it's not a horrible stat over the long haul. Of course it's incomplete, but most statistics are. For example completion percentage doesn't tell the true efficiency since it doesn't account for drops. There's many ways the calculation can and maybe should be adjusted to account for other things or to weight certain categories more than others, but I think it would probably be a better idea to look at the stats individually than to try to incorporate them all into one stat.

Playoff picture slightly cleared up after the early games. For sure Jacksonville and Miami are out. Things need to happen for Pittsburgh to get in, and even more things need to happen for Houston to get in, but for now, both teams have done their part.

Also on a completely different note, 49ers v Rams is the closest thing to a division rivalry in the NFC West. Yet when someone like Isaac Bruce can play for both teams and be loved by both sets of fans, you know he's a class act. As a 49er fan I'm glad we got him for the last few years of his career, even if he wasn't as productive as he was during the Greatest Show on Turf years. What he's done to unselfishly help the young wide receiver core on this team grow goes far beyond what you see on the field. It's a bit sad to see him go, but it's time, and I'm grateful for the time he spent as a 49er and even the hell he put me through as a Ram.

Cowboys off to a hot start early on.

Saints look vulnerable heading into the playoffs (like Dallas in 2007).

Giants tanked it these last two weeks.

Vikings gain back some momentum.

Steelers trying to backdoor their way in the playoffs. Come on Broncos, Ravens or Jets!

BTW, if anyone saw the hit on Pat White, oh my, :eek:

Well done Big D, well done, for once Dallas showed some character in December

Denver is a joke

Unbelievable the amount of back to back rematches in teh Wild Cards

McDaniels is such a piece of shit, reminds me of my college coach all buddy buddy and then just turns on you for no reason. If I were Marshall and the CBG doesnt go through I would go to Chicago or Washington in a second and tell McDaniels to feck off while I did.

yup. it's happened before but not to this extent.

First time it's happened on more than one occassion, and there's 3.

I don't want to predict anything yet, but I think Green Bay & Baltimore are the dark horses of this playoff season.

Bernard Pollard is starting to become pretty irritating now. He was the first to land on Welker after he blew his knee out as it was him he was trying to cut in front of and avoid. He also had a fumble recovery for a touchdown and an important interception: "I heard Wes yell out, the same way I heard Tom yell out,'' Pollard said.”It was the same yell. It was terrible. He went down right in front of me. I saw his knee buckle, then I fell on him, and when he went down, I said, 'Just my luck.' ''

Baltimore is going to be a tough, physical game and even if the Pats win I think it will be even harder to move forward the next week as a result of that. With Welker out it will be more difficult for Brady to make adjustments against the blitz and the Ravens disguises as he is the teams most effective hot outlet along with Faulk. Recent reports from Adam Schefter and Charley Casserly have also added weight to what most Pats followers already knew - Brady has a broken ring finger on his throwing hand and three cracked or broken ribs, which makes some of his recent play more impressive. I have no great expectations and will just enjoy the Playoffs; I’m looking forward to the Cowboys-Eagles game too.

Anderson Searl's Playoff Preview

5. New York Jets (9-7) at 4. Cincinnati Bengals (10-6)
Paul Brown Stadium, Saturday 4:30 p.m. ET, NBC

There's not much else to say about the Jets other than the fact they're very lucky... Back to back weak, already clinched opponents after a poor showing against the Falcons in Week 15 put the playoffs on a platter, but the difference between a team getting in based on the merit of a weak schedule and what the Jets did, is that the Jets took their chances by the scruff and capitalized on every one. Though I still think it's a long shot for them to win the game, they proved against the Colts and Bengals last week that even with weakened opposition, they're not to be taken lightly

The Bengals are coming to the end of a rollercoaster season, with the deaths of spouses and teammates taking all the headlines, and players not getting their due dilligance with Pro Bowl selections, the Bengals have a point to prove, and that point is that they are Super Bowl contenders. At the start of the season Carson Palmer had more questions than answers, and Chad Ochocinco had more attention than the rest of the team. The same division as 2 of the AFC's best from last season, nobody gave them a chance, but they've pulled off an unthinkable trick just 4 months ago

Prediction: The Jets did their thing in Week 17, but there's a switch in scenery and in personnel on the Bengals side, and I can't look past them winning indominating fashion.

Bengals 27, Jets 10

6. Baltimore Ravens (9-7) at 3. New England Patriots (10-6)
Gillette Stadium, Sunday 1 p.m. ET, CBS

The thought process of many Patriots fans seems to be "we're here, now let's enjoy it"... Though one could look at the most dominating sports franchise from the last decade as an under-dog in the AFC, all the pieces seem to be in place for the Patriots to shock the football world. BUT HOW? It seems that as the season has gone, the Patriots have suffered their fair share of bad luck and bad decisions, but with the wrinkles ironed and another division title under their belt, you'd have to think the negativity has run out, right?

The Ravens did what they needed to do to get into the playoffs, and looked decent in the process, but questions remain all over this team, and none are more evident than that of Joe Flacco. A fantastic rookie season was followed up with a semi-problematic sophemore season (If not statistically), and the Ravens even getting into the playoffs seemed to be the impossible. They pulled it off, and at this point you have to give them half a chance with a beaten and bruised Patriots squad.

Prediction: Though it doesn't take much rocket science to pick the Pats at home, the Ravens gave all the Pats could handle earlier in the season, and I think it'll be a last posession game... In #12's hands though.

Patriots 24, Ravens 17

Dallas wouldnt beat San Diego, they lost to them two weeks ago while at home

If Dallas makes it to the Super Bowl, they'd have pulled out some stops, and would have probably gone through The Aints AND Minni in the process.

I'd give them the edge at that point.

Romo would choke

Looks like Shanny is going to DC, great signing for them

Once Ware left with a neck injury the Cowboys defense fell apart. I'd fancy Dallas' chances in a rematch. Bias or no bias.

The game is also remembered for four straight running plays from the SD 1, a ridiculous coaching gaff. And another Nick Folk bad kick.

20-17 certainly wasn't an overwhelming performance by either side.

Once Ware left with a neck injury the Cowboys defense fell apart. I'd fancy Dallas' chances in a rematch. Bias or no bias.

The game is also remembered for four straight running plays from the SD 1, a ridiculous coaching gaff. And another Nick Folk bad kick.

20-17 certainly wasn't an overwhelming performance by either side.

You act like Dallas was blowing them out, San Diego beat them on the road, Ware hurt his neck when the Chargers had just entered Cowboys' territory. I fancy both teams to choke in all honesty, especially the Cowboys, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were on the golf course in a weeks time.

You act like Dallas was blowing them out, San Diego beat them on the road, Ware hurt his neck when the Chargers had just entered Cowboys' territory. I fancy both teams to choke in all honesty, especially the Cowboys, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were on the golf course in a weeks time.

The last sentence is more likely the end result but the score was tied when Ware was lost. The Chargers missed the pass on 2nd-7 and Ware was carted off after a lengthy delay. Once play resumed, after a false start by McNeil, SD converted a 3rd-12 and scored on the next play. Considering Dallas was unable to get a consistent pass rush immediately after Ware's exit, it's obvious his absence left Dallas vulnerable. Losing Ware on defense is akin to losing Romo on offense.

Busy doing work during this game dont really care that much about, hopefully I am finished so I can watch the Eagles-Cowboys game tonite, it should be an interesting one.