Nfl 2009-2010

Dropped Jerome Harrison this week in fantasy football. During the playoffs. feck.

You have to admire the toughness and leadership Brady is showing on the field but he is hurting out there and it’s affected his performance in the last two games, badly. I don’t know if the ribs and finger are affecting his mechanics etc but his accuracy on the deep ball is off. Hopefully, the Pats can put the Jaguars away early and seal the division as he needs to rest up and get as healthy as possible for the start of the Playoffs. It was an important, gritty win anyway as they moved two wins ahead of both Miami and the Jets after both lost. Buffalo has lost 13 in a row to the Pats.

Good performance by the defense despite missing the teams defensive MVP Vince Wilfork (foot) and Ty Warren (ankle). There was a nice defensive wrinkle out there that included no linemen in passing situations partly due to this. The package included three outside linebacker/defensive end hybrids, six defensive backs and two inside linebackers. They were moving around at the line of scrimmage in an attempt to confuse the Bills with good results. I hope to see more of this and the ‘Tully Banta-Cain does his best DeMarcus Ware impression’ show moving forward.

By the way, how irritating do you find Banta-Cain’s performance out there, jveezy? He is reported to be on close to the veteran minimum here now after getting paid in free agency. Some players are just made for certain systems and coaches I suppose, he has got consistent pressure for the Pats all year. What did you make of his time with you?

Philly now in bye contention, shocking stuff how bad the Vikings looked against the Panthers.

That AFC Wild-Card picture is unreal, expecially with Pittsburgh winning late against Green Bay.

Philly now in bye contention, shocking stuff how bad the Vikings looked against the Panthers.

That AFC Wild-Card picture is unreal, expecially with Pittsburgh winning late against Green Bay.

NFC East crown comes down to the last weekend if Dallas win next weekend or both teams lose or Dallas win, Philly lose. Philly will be playing for a potential two seed in addition, assuming they win out and Minnesota drop another game. Dallas can't get higher than three seed and neither can Philly if Minnesota win out.

I'm calling for a Dallas win and a division title which means Philly would go to Arizona in the wild card game while Dallas would host either Green Bay or NYG. Now that I say that Dallas will go out next weekend and lay an egg against Washington then get humiliated against Philly.

By the way, how irritating do you find Banta-Cain’s performance out there, jveezy? He is reported to be on close to the veteran minimum here now after getting paid in free agency. Some players are just made for certain systems and coaches I suppose, he has got consistent pressure for the Pats all year. What did you make of his time with you?

He was quite decent with us too. Granted the previous couple of years, our coaching has been pretty poor as well, so that may have played a role. He wasn't spectacular with us, but neither was anyone else really. He certainly didn't put up big numbers, but we're not seeing spectacular numbers from anyone else besides Willis here right now, but the defense has still managed to collectively put together a few spectacular performances like last week against Arizona.

To be completely honest, I'm used to seeing players perform a lot better after leaving San Francisco. Six years under Dennis Erickson and Mike Nolan and 8 different offensive coordinators will do that to you. So I'm not really irritated at all by Banta-Cain's performance for the Pats, especially since its a team known for getting the best out of its players. I'm glad it's worked out for him and for you guys as well.

Big Ben is fecking clutch as a mofo

It's one of those things that just amazes you but doesn't really surprise you anymore.

Also there's some debate about whether Tomlin was simply lucky with the aftermath of that onside kick, or whether he was vindicated by the results. Definitely a ballsy call, and it's not like he didn't have a good reason for it.

Give Aaron Rodgers 4 minutes to drive all the way down the field and you're probably going to fail with no time left on the clock. Give him a shorter field and he might score a little more quickly. And they managed to use each and every second of all the time they saved from the Packers scoring quickly.

Now if the Packers were a little smarter about this, they would've taken their time, but then again that's not easy when you're down as opposed to being tied or having the lead. Wait too long and fail and then you're out of luck (example: 49ers v Cardinals last year on MNF) so you want to take the points when you can.

Of course the one thing that people can agree on is that, like Belichick's 4th down attempt a few weeks ago, it shows a clear distrust in the defense's ability to stop the opposing offense. Then again, there's not many defenses that I would trust to put a stop to the likes of Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers.

I really hope Shanahan doesn't sign with Washington, he might actually produce there. They've had a string of crap coaches, out-dated coaches and retreads.

I think it is inevitable and with the backing of Synder the Hogs will have a resurgence

Washington will be good next season, this year I expected them to be alright but they didn't do too well.

On paper they're not a bad squad, but they're in footballs toughest division with a front office in shambles.

Ignore last night, all season they've played hard, they still play for #21 with every snap, and it's been well documented that's still in the heads of most of these players.

Two words: swinging gate

To be honest I was waiting for someone to try this in the NFL. Of course when the other team calls a timeout to react to it, you probably shouldn't try it again. Also I don't even think he threw it to the right guy.

He was quite decent with us too. Granted the previous couple of years, our coaching has been pretty poor as well, so that may have played a role. He wasn't spectacular with us, but neither was anyone else really. He certainly didn't put up big numbers, but we're not seeing spectacular numbers from anyone else besides Willis here right now, but the defense has still managed to collectively put together a few spectacular performances like last week against Arizona.

To be completely honest, I'm used to seeing players perform a lot better after leaving San Francisco. Six years under Dennis Erickson and Mike Nolan and 8 different offensive coordinators will do that to you. So I'm not really irritated at all by Banta-Cain's performance for the Pats, especially since its a team known for getting the best out of its players. I'm glad it's worked out for him and for you guys as well.

You’re a better man than me jveezy. It irritates me to see ex-Patriots who left due to being seen to have diminishing skills or sub-par production in relation to their salary, then going on to show they have something left in the tank and doing well. Even a few players who left due to not being offered what they were probably worth annoys me. I think they should have paid Asante Samuel but every time he jumps a route and picks off a pass for the Eagles I feel no joy. Maybe he should have held on to the wayward Eli Manning pass which reportedly went straight in and out of his fingertips in that game that never actually happened in February 2007. I have no recollection of a Superbowl being played that year myself, a friend told me.

Of course the one thing that people can agree on is that, like Belichick's 4th down attempt a few weeks ago, it shows a clear distrust in the defense's ability to stop the opposing offense. Then again, there's not many defenses that I would trust to put a stop to the likes of Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers.

When I first read this it sounded wrong to put them in the same sentence in that way but he’s playing really well isn’t he. I like Rodgers a lot and he has took quite a beating back there at times but his accuracy, especially on third down is impressive. He has full command of the Packers offensive scheme and even though Favre has played well this year I think it has been proven that the Packers management made a sound decision.

On Tomlin’s call in relation to Belichick’s - you could argue that Tomlin had more justification for the risky call in some ways. Although the defense would have been tired at the end of the fourth quarter and the Colts had just drove for a touchdown (aided by the key pass interference call), it’s not like Manning had not been stopped at times. He had thrown some bad passes out there, was picked off twice and the Colts were forced to punt six times in the first half alone. I would have liked Belichick to force him to drive the length of the field but he came up big when given the chance to seal the game, which is what great players do. Maybe the difference between the two is ultimately that Tomlin put it in the hands of special teamers while Belichick put it in the hands of his future hall of fame QB.

Two words: swinging gate

To be honest I was waiting for someone to try this in the NFL. Of course when the other team calls a timeout to react to it, you probably shouldn't try it again. Also I don't even think he threw it to the right guy.

They didn't run it the right way. The guy in the back is supposed to immediately throw to the sideline so the guy has all the blockers in front of him. Instead, you're asking a guy that's never thrown a pass to make a quick decision in the face of a three large men running straight at him unblocked. They should have had the QB acting as the holder then quickly changed the play up where the QB stands up and receives the hike as he would have quickly turned to his left and thrown to the sideline receiver.

But as you said, they shouldn't have ran it after NYG called timeout.

You’re a better man than me jveezy. It irritates me to see ex-Patriots who left due to being seen to have diminishing skills or sub-par production in relation to their salary, then going on to show they have something left in the tank and doing well. Even a few players who left due to not being offered what they were probably worth annoys me. I think they should have paid Asante Samuel but every time he jumps a route and picks off a pass for the Eagles I feel no joy. Maybe he should have held on to the wayward Eli Manning pass which reportedly went straight in and out of his fingertips in that game that never actually happened in February 2007. I have no recollection of a Superbowl being played that year myself, a friend told me.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I always felt NE's schemes made Samuel not the other way around. He joined a Philly system that schemes great as well so it will mask his few flaws. But he's not in the same echelon as Bailey, Asomugha and Revis IMO. He's in that second tier that contains Newman, Winfield, etc. Still a good player but not worth sacrificing millions in cap space. And judging by NE's track record of player personnel moves, I never questioned the decision to not pay Samuel that kind of money he was seeking. Especially considering how they often manage to find veterans and young guys to fill those holes.

I agree he is not on the same level as the top guys such as Revis and did not clarify what I meant properly about him getting paid. His greatest strength can sometimes be one of his weaknesses and that’s his willingness to trust his instincts and jump plays. I saw him get beat deep on a double move earlier on in the season when he jumped what he thought was going to be a slant and could not recover. He is not a shut down cover corner, but he is one of the players you want when running a zone based, aggressive scheme as you indicated.

The Patriots were still trying to strike a deal right up to him signing for the Eagles but it got to the point where he felt he was being disrespected and was not valued by the organisation. The main problem was reportedly the guaranteed money element of the contract but they were not way off in terms of the overall figures. When I thought he should have got paid was in the midst of his ten pick 2006 season when they first started negotiating a deal. New England also has a track record of paying a player slightly more than they are worth early due to the fact they are developing, have higher value in their system and will be worth more on the open market in a few years time. See Brady (to an extent), Seymour, Welker, Mankins, Wright etc. Letting him go looks much, much better this season than it did the last when the likes of O’Neal and Hobbs were getting abused anyway. However, would Samuel have made the plays to get the Pats into the postseason that year without Brady? I think it’s likely.

I love how athletes feel a couple millions dollars less is disrespecting. Makes me really warm up to athletes.

Jerry Jones used to lock up young guys based on early performance and potential. More often that not he got it right - in the early- and mid-90s. He's also done a good job in the last 4-5 years doing this. What hurts Dallas the most is not having a football guy at the top. Instead you have a business guy that doesn't have that lifetime of football knowledge. Hence why Wade Phillips is coaching when it should be Parcells or Sparano.

You’re a better man than me jveezy. It irritates me to see ex-Patriots who left due to being seen to have diminishing skills or sub-par production in relation to their salary, then going on to show they have something left in the tank and doing well. Even a few players who left due to not being offered what they were probably worth annoys me. I think they should have paid Asante Samuel but every time he jumps a route and picks off a pass for the Eagles I feel no joy.

Well you have every right to be irritated. You have a good coaching staff, and if someone isn't playing all that well under Belichick, it's not necessarily the same as someone not playing well under Dennis Erickson or Mike Nolan. I don't get the "Why the hell didn't you do that for us?" feeling while watching some of the recent 49er exiles because I totally understand why they didn't do all that stuff for us. Shit coaching.

When I first read this it sounded wrong to put them in the same sentence in that way but he’s playing really well isn’t he. I like Rodgers a lot and he has took quite a beating back there at times but his accuracy, especially on third down is impressive. He has full command of the Packers offensive scheme and even though Favre has played well this year I think it has been proven that the Packers management made a sound decision.

Part of his appeal to me was having him on a fantasy team, but the guy is the complete package. He can make just about any throw you ask him to and when it all breaks down he can make fantastic plays with his feet. If the Packers can figure out how to give him an extra second of time to throw, I think he'll be unbelievable in years to come.

On Tomlin’s call in relation to Belichick’s - you could argue that Tomlin had more justification for the risky call in some ways. Although the defense would have been tired at the end of the fourth quarter and the Colts had just drove for a touchdown (aided by the key pass interference call), it’s not like Manning had not been stopped at times. He had thrown some bad passes out there, was picked off twice and the Colts were forced to punt six times in the first half alone. I would have liked Belichick to force him to drive the length of the field but he came up big when given the chance to seal the game, which is what great players do. Maybe the difference between the two is ultimately that Tomlin put it in the hands of special teamers while Belichick put it in the hands of his future hall of fame QB.

Well said. I think Tomlin saw it as a risky play with a better chance at a second chance if that makes any sense.

They didn't run it the right way. The guy in the back is supposed to immediately throw to the sideline so the guy has all the blockers in front of him. Instead, you're asking a guy that's never thrown a pass to make a quick decision in the face of a three large men running straight at him unblocked. They should have had the QB acting as the holder then quickly changed the play up where the QB stands up and receives the hike as he would have quickly turned to his left and thrown to the sideline receiver.

I think I saw Arkansas run it once with McFadden and it looked awesome. I think they actually huddled near the sideline instead of lining up in the middle of the field and then running off to the side for everyone to see. Someone then ran from the huddle to the spotted ball while everyone else but McFadden lined up at or near the line of scrimmage, and the guy running to the ball just put his hand on it and chucked a sideways snap directly into McFadden's hands who had 9 blockers leading the way for him while the defense was still trying to figure out what was going on.

Washington's version failed so miserably that people are still having a hard time figuring out what options they had actually intended to use on that play.

I love how athletes feel a couple millions dollars less is disrespecting. Makes me really warm up to athletes.

From Wikipedia:

On October 31, 2004, the Minnesota Timberwolves offered Sprewell a 3-year, $21 million contract extension, substantially less than what his then-current contract paid him. Insulted, he publicly vented his outrage, declaring, "I have a family to feed." He declined the extension, and, having once more drawn the ire of fans and sports media, had the worst season of his career in the final year of his contract.

Pretty sure you can feed a family on $7 million a year. Especially when you get paid to practice and play a game that kids do for free in schoolyards at lunchtime.

Sprewell was ripped by the press and public for those comments and soon thereafter issued an apology, which was obviously scripted by his agent and/or club. Someone even went so far to break down what his salary could buy in various meals. Even factoring in taxes and agent fees, his net would be about half, or around $3.5m. Cry me a fecking river, Sprewell.

Thoughts on Vick winning that courage award voted by his teammates?

Personally, I think his teammates are a bunch of pricks for voting him for this award. But oh well, do you really expect critical thinking from athletes? Not I.

Personally, I think his teammates are a bunch of pricks for voting him for this award. But oh well, do you really expect critical thinking from athletes? Not I.

I get that it takes courage to face the media etc after what he did before. It's a bit sad that he never would've been in a position to win this had he not done something terrible to begin with. Really I'm not there in the locker room so I don't know what he's dealing with or what his teammates are seeing when it comes to Vick so I can't really judge. Maybe there were no other viable candidates on the team (which I find a bit hard to believe). If we don't want things like this to happen we should never let the teammates vote on an award like this.

It's amazing that you can get an award for just acting normal, all you have to do is do something so socially reprehensible that you go to jail.

It's weird, but considering the circumstances of what he's gone through and what he's had to go through on a weekly basis visit cities across the states i'm sure this is a bit of a boosting for his morale.

It's an award that shouldn't be made public as is, it should be something that between the players since it's voted by the players... I think I can agree on the sentiment 100% though.