Nfl 2009-2010

Monday:
New England at New Orleans

This should be a good game and another test for the Patriots defense. They played well against the Colts for three quarters but at the end of the day, did not get it done when it mattered. It’s time to win an important game on the road to give the young players on that side of the ball confidence moving forward towards the Playoffs. The Saints defense is opportunistic but can be beat. They have not played anyone of the calibre of Brady etc, who are actually averaging more yards per game than they did in 2007. I see it being back and forth until the fourth quarter when one team will pull away, likely on the back of turnovers.

POINTS PER GAME: 2007 Patriots: 36.8. 2009 Saints: 36.9.
YARDS PER GAME: 2007 Patriots: 420.5. 2009 Saints: 411.2.
YARDS PER PLAY: 2007 Patriots: 6.2. 2009 Saints: 6.4.
FIRST DOWNS PER GAME: 2007 Patriots: 24.6. 2009 Saints: 22.1.
THIRD DOWN PERCENTAGE: 2007 Patriots: 48.2. 2009 Saints: 46.9.
TIME OF POSSESSION: 2007 Patriots: 32:21. 2009 Saints: 32:31.

In September the Jets unconvincingly beat the Patriots. They are the best defense ever, there is a power shift in the AFC East, the Sanchise is born, Rex Ryan is a mind game genius when he elects Kevin O’Connell as a game day captain and Kerry Rhodes is a player comparable to Ed Reed while running his mouth at every opportunity.

Come the end of November, Sanchez is struggling (he is a rookie to be fair), Rex Ryan is crying in front of his team and Kerry Rhodes is benched by the Jets after getting torched by Brady and embarrassingly trucked by Maroney in the middle of the field. At least Kevin O’Connell was a game day captain again, supposedly after tipping the Jets off on offensive tendencies during the week. That despite the fact he was released by the Patriots for not having a good enough understanding of the offense in the first place. It’s a shame Lombardi trophies are not won after week two.

To summarize my inane ramblings - The Jets suck, happy thanksgiving to you Americans.

Oh, and why exactly am I being forced to watch the Lions again?

Green Bay as well... I guess because they're the traditionally largets markets... the Giants are usually in there, as well as the Redskins.

Anyways I have 20 bucks on the Lions winning today 9/1

Just wondering, what's the reason behind the Cowboys and Lions always playing on Thankgiving??

Thanksgiving Classic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Though I've always heard that Tex Schramm, long-time GM of the Cowboys and shrewd marketing genius, sought a regular home game on Thanksgiving Day to generate interest in his club nation wide and draw more fans. It's said in the wiki link that games on non-Sundays were quite uncommon in the 60s so playing a game on a Thursday with families gathered together could draw a wider audience. Genius no doubt.

A Brief History of the Dallas Cowboys' Annual Thanksgiving Day Game - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
"During the first half of the 1960s, televised NFL games grew exponentially in popularity. In an effort to capitalize on this success, the league began shopping around for a team to host an annual Thanksgiving Day game in addition to the game hosted by the Detroit Lions. Every single team turned down the offer on the grounds that scheduling a Thursday game so late in the season would be too disruptive. Every team, that is, except for the Dallas Cowboys. General Manager Tex Schram recognized this as a golden opportunity for the Cowboys to establish their own Thanksgiving Day game tradition. Clearly, his decision was a prescient one. The game caught on and has become wildly popular."

AS, Green Bay do not always play on Thanksgiving Day. The reason you see the Bears, Packers, Vikings, Redskins, Giants and Eagles often is that the NFL will often schedule a division rivalry matchup on T-day. But with CBS (and NBC beforehand) airing one of the games, and being the AFC network, the NFL often selects an AFC club opposite the FOX airing of NFC clubs. So that's where you'd get the Chiefs, Broncos, Dolphins, etc.

Off to watch the Broncos after a great dinner, they'll probably lose but I will surely get drunk

Just wondering, what's the reason behind the Cowboys and Lions always playing on Thankgiving??

Interesting stuff, Marcello, especially that the Lions were the first to play on Thanksgiving, and the Cowboys horned in on it.

I always thought that it was taking the best team and worst team in America and showcasing them. When the Lions play, it's like we're giving thanks that someone is worse off than us. (Except for Browns fans.) And then we see the Cowboys play just before we gorge ourselves on turkey, and it's like a tribute to America's overindulgence.

The Giants loss is huge for my Falcons, now we NEED Philly to lose to Washington but I wouldn't bet on it.

We need to beat Tampa.

what did mcdaniels say in the huddle arparently the nfl network broadcasted a tirade by him going apeshit

If the Fraudcons can't beat Tampa they don't deserve to make the playoffs.

Fraudcons? Do tell...

what did mcdaniels say in the huddle arparently the nfl network broadcasted a tirade by him going apeshit

He's a clown, I hope the league fines him for the shit-talking, especially since a player would have gotten it.

All I know is if Mike Smith got a fine for chirping, then this clown should be fined.

Delhomme just can't help himself, even if the first was a freak play.

He somehow hit Smith on his heel, then the ball bounced into the arms of Revis. Fecking Jets.

Searl, you watching the Atlanta-Tampa game? How serious do you think the Matt Ryan injury is?

I am and im confused, one report (The TV report) says toe, but Falcons radio and fecking ESPN have it listed as a foot injury.

Redman looked good but obviously cooled down, and typically we're blowing it... Season over if we lose this game, and alot of questions.

Houston once again fails to put their foot on the throat of the Colts when they are in position to win.

Vince fecking Young! I can't believe the game he has just had, did not think he was capable. 27/43 for 387 yards and most importantly he drove the Titans from their one yard line in 2:37 with several fourth down conversions. He threw the game winning touchdown on a fourth and ten with seconds remaining.

Good player, that benching last year helped him learn, but before everyone is like why the feck did Collins(who I have always thought is shit anyways) start over him, remember they did have the best record in the AFC last year, and Young was making a lot of mistakes, and was unstable mentally(suicidal). Appears he has gotten over it, he has a lot of talent because he can do it all, he just needs to realize that they have Chris Johnson to do the running, so he can worry about the passing and run the ball only when needed.

The Vikings look like quite a force, reckon they will choke like they did in 1998. Hope they do just to see the look on Favre's face, would laugh my ass off if the Pack went in there and knocked them off.

Vikings are indeed quite a force and the frightening aspect for the other teams is that AP still has a couple of additional gears.

Favre has 24 TDs and 3 INT. He is due a 3 or 4 INT game and hopefully that's before the playoffs. Will be the MVP if he continues to manage the remaining games. Feel sorry for Brees as he is as deserving and would be the no.1 contender if he had the same media hype surrounding him as Favre or Manning.

Yeah hopefully Brees has a big game tomorrow night to get some MVP votes, also he is my QB on my fantasy team

fecking bananas that finish was, my uncle is from Regina and he was gutted but they only have themselves to blame.

Canadian football

I'm a Saskie as well. Lived there for 25 years. Gutted isn't even the word but as you said, they only have themselves to blame. Too many men, ffs.

Rivers is also having a MVP worthy campaign but seems to be invisible to most media personalities.

I agree. Rivers has really developed into a good player and has clearly taken over from LT as the face of the franchise, so to speak. I think he is in the second tier of QB’s with Roethlisberger and Brees at this point and maybe on the verge of becoming even better. He makes difficult throws week in and week out for the Chargers, as their offense seems to have a lot of 15+ yard routes in it and does it without throwing many picks. Yeah, he is a bit of a cock and does not have a ring like the rest of that draft class but it should not take away from what he is achieving on the field. He should at least make the Pro Bowl in the AFC along with the two obvious media darling QB’s at this point.

Can't wait for tonights game. Should be a cracker.

I was really enjoying last night's till my DVR finished before the field goal was kicked.

I agree. Rivers has really developed into a good player and has clearly taken over from LT as the face of the franchise, so to speak. I think he is in the second tier of QB’s with Roethlisberger and Brees at this point and maybe on the verge of becoming even better. He makes difficult throws week in and week out for the Chargers, as their offense seems to have a lot of 15+ yard routes in it and does it without throwing many picks. Yeah, he is a bit of a cock and does not have a ring like the rest of that draft class but it should not take away from what he is achieving on the field. He should at least make the Pro Bowl in the AFC along with the two obvious media darling QB’s at this point.

How could you consider Brees a second tier QB????

It's not really a slight is it? Don't get me wrong, he's obviously a brilliant player and having a great season, in fact he has been good for the last four years. I'm just not ready to stick him up there with the big two, who I see as the only ones in my silly hypothetical top tier of QB's. Not yet anyway, but maybe he will get there in the next couple of years. I'm sure a few people like Instant Karma would see Roethlisberger as being ahead of him as well.

Aaah Keyser I can't agree with you on this one either.

Big Ben has 2 rings, Drew Brees over the last 2 seasons has proven he's top quality, and i'll add the most hated man in the game to the list.

The Fab five are: Manning, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger & Favre

Everyone else is second tier

Fair enough, it's opinion I guess. There are strict rules to my all important top tier policy though and only enough food, alcohol and girls for two guests at my annual Christmas party. Brady and Manning are a level ahead for me and what every other QB in the league aspires to be. Hall Of Famers with years still left on their careers. This is a passing league and obviously other players are going to put up numbers etc but I still think they have things to achieve in order to get to that elite level, I don’t rule out that the possibility that they will. Roethlisberger having more rings than Manning is a factor but not the be all and end all and Favre is interesting as well. He is playing great so far this season and is on par with the others, he has obviously had a brilliant, if recently tarnished career. Do you think Peyton likes Brussel Sprouts?