Nfl 2009-2010

Jamarcus has been benched! There's hope for Oakland yet!

It doesnt help that his O line is terrible and for some reason the Running game hasnt worked this season. But still, if this was a do or die season for Russel, its not looking good.

Just quickly.. the NFL game at Wembley was bloody magic. Got to see Tom Brady and Wes Welker play pure class.

Great day.

As Alex says, the loss of a home game is the big problem with the whole thing and they are talking about having two games next year. Supposedly, one at Wembley and one at the Millennium Stadium. Let’s face it, if I had a season ticket for United this season and I lost a home game to America I would be pissed. Surely the fans are compensated financially in someway, maybe GLU will know as the Saints were the home team last year.

I would go if it was the Browns and the Raiders playing so I’m not sure you need a marquee team. Football is football at the end of the day. Sure, there is an element of the crowd that would not go if a good team was not there but the majority of the people I went with yesterday - Americans living over in Britain and people involved in Gridiron in the UK whether that’s playing in organised leagues or just promotion, would show up. The NFL is not a new thing to all of the UK remember, things kicked off over here in terms of interest in the game quite a while ago. There were quite a few excited people wearing Marino, Montana and other earlier throwback jerseys for example. At this point it’s an AFC-NFC thing and I doubt you would see a real heavyweight game like Pats-Colts, Cowboys-Eagles or Vikings-Packers shipped over here let alone a feckin Superbowl, which would be stupid.

It is ‘America’s game’ after all.

Coming from a Brit i think it would be a disgrace if the Superbowl was played over here.

At the moment yeh

But I can definitely see a London team and then you could definitely make a much stronger case for it, still unlikely, but could happen.

If a London NFL team is to happen, they perhaps should look to use the 2012 stadium, as they couldn't really use Wembley as often

At the moment yeh

But I can definitely see a London team and then you could definitely make a much stronger case for it, still unlikely, but could happen.

If a London NFL team is to happen, they perhaps should look to use the 2012 stadium, as they couldn't really use Wembley as often

A London NFL team just seems far fetched, i cant see people wanting to go week in week out, unless it was considerably cheaper than "soccer". No team would want to move to England, so how could you just start a new franchise?

He just doesnt seem to be mentally agile enough to make the correct decisions.

Alex Smith, 3 TD 1 INT this season
J Russel 2TD 8 INT this season...

If it's any consolation, up until about halftime Sunday, Alex Smith had never seemed to be mentally agile enough to make the correct decisions, save from a few brilliant moments when Norv was in San Francisco (damn you Chargers! Why did you take him away?!!). All of a sudden we have a quarterback controversy.

I've gone on record multiple times to say that Smith is done in San Francisco, but the poise he showed in the pocket (and scrambling out of it because of our God forsaken offensive line) was something I hadn't even dreamed of seeing since Norv was here. For the first time since then he actually threw the ball with a sense of authority, as if he not only knew exactly where he wanted to put the ball, but knew that when he threw the ball it was going to go exactly where he wanted it to. I couldn't possibly be more happy to be wrong right now.

Now let's see whether he even gets to start against the Colts and if he does, whether the Colts having a week to game plan against him will make a difference.

Also GloryHunter might want to avoid this link. It's a bit too soon for him.

Jamarcus Russell (FakeFatJamarcus) on Twitter

Jesus. What Adrian Peterson did to William Gay was just not fair. Not fair at all.

What's the verdict on Crabtree, jveezy? He had decent production in his debut considering the circumstances, was he seeing strictly single coverage? With Alex Smith being given another shot at least he has a few legitimate weapons in him, Frank Gore and Vernon Davis etc to play with. It seems Davis is starting to get it and has always had all the physical ability in the world. Hopefully he stays healthy.

A London NFL team just seems far fetched, i cant see people wanting to go week in week out, unless it was considerably cheaper than "soccer". No team would want to move to England, so how could you just start a new franchise?

Logistics alone make it near impossible. Imagine players enduring a ten hour flight to play a regular-season or playoff game on the west coast of the US. Not feasible.

It's completely unfeasible, such an odd idea, why not a EPL team based in NYC?? haha

Hehe, saw that coming thought it would be AS reposting it. Well I predicts Myles Austin will break Randy Moss' TD reception record next season, gtf in

DeMarcus Ware just signed a huge contract extension

He deserves it, second best defensive player in the league for me and probably the most dominant. I think he has the mentality/talent to play hard and keep improving despite the money too. Apparently, it's a six-year contract with $40 million guaranteed which is probably what the market dictated. James Harrison would have got more guaranteed money on the open market but took a Steeler discount:

Terrell Suggs, six-year, $62.5 million deal with $38.1 million guaranteed.

James Harrison, six-year, $51 million deal with $20 million guaranteed.

Said it then and I'll say it now, Ware was robbed of the defensive player of the year award last season. Plenty of anti-Cowboys voters out there and I'm sure Pittsburgh making the playoffs while Dallas did not had a huge impact on the voting. Good to see Jerry make a smart move and keep his best player on the team (yes he's the best talent and arguably more valuable than Romo).

Ware, Cowboys agree on contract extension - Forbes.com

There was no immediate confirmation from the team about financial terms, though a report on the Cowboys' Web site said Ware's deal was for $78 million, an average of $16 million with $40 million guaranteed. Several other media outlets also reported the $40 million guarantee.

James Harrison would have got more guaranteed money on the open market but took a Steeler discount:

Terrell Suggs, six-year, $62.5 million deal with $38.1 million guaranteed.

James Harrison, six-year, $51 million deal with $20 million guaranteed.

Probably partially true but also have to realize that Harrison has put together one great season and one good season with a handful of average seasons. Suggs has been a pass-rushing beast since his first season. Harrison had 12.5 career sacks entering 2008, in five seasons, while Suggs had 45.0 over the same span. Harrison has a breakout year with 16.0 while Suggs recorded 8.0.

There's also the age factor to consider. Harrison is 31 while Suggs is 27.

That said, Harrison is proving to be worth the bucks so far. But I doubt he'll be around for all six years, and Suggs may not either, such is the nature of the NFL.

Said it then and I'll say it now, Ware was robbed of the defensive player of the year award last season. Plenty of anti-Cowboys voters out there and I'm sure Pittsburgh making the playoffs while Dallas did not had a huge impact on the voting. Good to see Jerry make a smart move and keep his best player on the team (yes he's the best talent and arguably more valuable than Romo).

Ware, Cowboys agree on contract extension - Forbes.com

There was no immediate confirmation from the team about financial terms, though a report on the Cowboys' Web site said Ware's deal was for $78 million, an average of $16 million with $40 million guaranteed. Several other media outlets also reported the $40 million guarantee.

:lol: Get over it

Probably partially true but also have to realize that Harrison has put together one great season and one good season with a handful of average seasons. Suggs has been a pass-rushing beast since his first season. Harrison had 12.5 career sacks entering 2008, in five seasons, while Suggs had 45.0 over the same span. Harrison has a breakout year with 16.0 while Suggs recorded 8.0.

There's also the age factor to consider. Harrison is 31 while Suggs is 27.

That said, Harrison is proving to be worth the bucks so far. But I doubt he'll be around for all six years, and Suggs may not either, such is the nature of the NFL.

True, regarding Harrison’s age and long term productivity but I just meant that a team such as the Redskins would have gave him a truck of money. I think he understood the importance of the Steelers system and LeBeau to his gradual improvement and success so was staying regardless. I really rate Suggs despite the relative lack of sacks because he does everything well, is asked to do a lot and has few major flaws (elite speed, maybe) but I was still surprised Ozzie Newsome gave him that much guaranteed money. No doubt Ware is the best linebacker in the NFL though and deserves to be paid more than any of them.

Come off it Alex, we all now your anti-Dallas sentiment. Any team with Troy Polamalu on defense can't have someone else as the best defensive player. Polamalu is probably the most valuable defensive player in the league. So what catapults Harrison over not only Ware but his own teammate? And who the feck does Dallas have on defense that can even compare with Polamalu? Ware is easily the most dominant LB in the league and has been for two seasons.

I have no anti-Dallas sentiment at all, as you said Polamalu is the best defensive player in the league, so why not give him the MVP; would there still be an anti Dallas sentiment then

Polamalu is an excellent player but I think Ed Reed is the best defensive player in the league, marginally over Ware.

Nah Polamalu is better at organizing the D than Ed Reed, Ed Reed is damn good at returning interceptions for touchdowns thouhg

Interesting. This debate has probably been done to death and I understand the importance of Polamalu to the Steelers but I honestly think Reed is a special, hall of fame type talent. Bruce Arians, the Steelers offensive coordinator has even said he is better than his own safety. I remember hearing Bill Belichick talk about him to the media etc as well and the only person he gushes more about is the best player he has coached in his career, Lawrence Taylor.

Reed opens up endless possibilities for defensive minds and is the leader of the Ravens secondary. There is nobody better at covering the deep middle of the field and he even allows the Ravens to bring extra blitzers at times due to the ground he can cover back there and the fear he puts into offensive co-ordinators. What he does is not luck; it is pure instinct and dedication to the game in terms of film study and knowing Quarterback’s tendencies. I mean, great players go into the game trying to avoid him and he still manages to deceive them and jump a route or two. Once he gets his hands on the ball there is an instant switch to an offensive mentality and he truly believes he will take it to the house everytime.

Polamalu on the other hand had a real problem with play action up until a couple of years ago and would fly around recklessly leaving himself out of position and committing penalties. He has improved a lot in that aspect though and has obvious other advantages such as better tackling and run support. Both are great players but in ten years time I doubt there will be much shame in saying Polamalu was the second best safety of the era. In my opinion, of course.

Reed is the kind of player that Dallas needed to get the best from Roy Williams. Once Woodson retired, Roy was a shadow of his former self. He declined from 2005 on. Woodson was such a great safety, a hybrid of a stong safety and free safety. Big enough to play strong safetly, quick enough to play free safety. Dallas never replaced Woody. And Roy's play suffered as Woody masked Roy's flaws in coverage. A player like Reed paired with Roy would have been a nightmare for offenses. Reed would control the deep routes allowing Roy to play closer to the line and wreck havoc on TEs, WRs and RBs coming across the middle 5-15 yds out. Shame such a pairing never occurred.

Interesting. This debate has probably been done to death and I understand the importance of Polamalu to the Steelers but I honestly think Reed is a special, hall of fame type talent. Bruce Arians, the Steelers offensive coordinator has even said he is better than his own safety. I remember hearing Bill Belichick talk about him to the media etc as well and the only person he gushes more about is the best player he has coached in his career, Lawrence Taylor.

Reed opens up endless possibilities for defensive minds and is the leader of the Ravens secondary. There is nobody better at covering the deep middle of the field and he even allows the Ravens to bring extra blitzers at times due to the ground he can cover back there and the fear he puts into offensive co-ordinators. What he does is not luck; it is pure instinct and dedication to the game in terms of film study and knowing Quarterback’s tendencies. I mean, great players go into the game trying to avoid him and he still manages to deceive them and jump a route or two. Once he gets his hands on the ball there is an instant switch to an offensive mentality and he truly believes he will take it to the house everytime.

Polamalu on the other hand had a real problem with play action up until a couple of years ago and would fly around recklessly leaving himself out of position and committing penalties. He has improved a lot in that aspect though and has obvious other advantages such as better tackling and run support. Both are great players but in ten years time I doubt there will be much shame in saying Polamalu was the second best safety of the era. In my opinion, of course.

Reed really hasnt led the Ravens to anything though, when they had the best defence in the NFL it was because of Ray Ray not Ed Reed.Not to take anything away from Reed who is an excellent player. In the AFC championship game this past year it was Polamalu who came up big as well.

Huge is an understatement, don't know if we can step up against the Giants with our Offensive line being cut to ribbons with injuries.

Coming away with 2 divisional wins out of these three in a row would be great for us. Just hope we can get the Giants and Cowboys at home, we should be winning these games if we want to be taken seriously this season though.

Jesus. What Adrian Peterson did to William Gay was just not fair. Not fair at all.

What's the verdict on Crabtree, jveezy? He had decent production in his debut considering the circumstances, was he seeing strictly single coverage? With Alex Smith being given another shot at least he has a few legitimate weapons in him, Frank Gore and Vernon Davis etc to play with. It seems Davis is starting to get it and has always had all the physical ability in the world. Hopefully he stays healthy.

I'm excited about Crabs. I don't care what kind of yardage he got. I don't think it's as much of what he's capable of doing at this point, but just the fact that even as a rookie, he's quite competent. Now that's normally not something to get really excited about, but when you consider how stagnant our offense has been it's a nice boost.

Because as soon as Crabtree started making catches, Vernon Davis started making catches, and most importantly Josh Morgan started making catches. And as soon as everyone started making catches, Gore started getting space to run. Crabtree has a way of getting into space that opens things up for the other players on the field. Even when Shaun Hill was in the game, he was getting receptions. When Alex Smith was in the game, the connection was pretty strong between the two, especially since they worked out together during the bye week. Smith was finding people left and right and getting rid of the ball quickly, but not too quickly. The second half was almost magical to watch the offense at work, something we weren't able to say all year long.

If you want to look at the stats, I think the biggest one is the fact that Crabtree had at least 3 receptions for first downs, some of which came on third down.

He already has more receptions than the lemon the Raiders took with their first pick

Reed really hasnt led the Ravens to anything though, when they had the best defence in the NFL it was because of Ray Ray not Ed Reed.Not to take anything away from Reed who is an excellent player. In the AFC championship game this past year it was Polamalu who came up big as well.

True. Polamalu played a big part in the Superbowl run last year but also has a good supporting cast, not least the coordinator who puts him in position to make plays. No doubt he came up big in the AFC championship game as well and had essentially a game sealing interception return as well as that fourth-down, short yardage stop by leaping over the pile to tackle Joe Flacco on the sneak. The contrasting performances of Flacco and Roethlisberger had a huge say on the game.

Unfortunately, I also remember the impact Reed had at the end of last season as I was watching all their games hoping they would slip up so the Pats could get into the Playoffs. Week 16 against the Cowboys was the big one as I thought they had a chance of winning but Reed helped by picking off Romo twice and then had a pick the following week, can’t remember who that was against. He also stepped up big in the first round of the Playoffs against Miami, with the pick six and that amazing play when he jumped a Pennington pass in the red zone despite initially lining up on the other side of the field. Reed does not have a ring but he replaced Lewis as the best player on the Baltimore defense a while ago for me and some may even say Ngata has too.

Hehe, how did I miss this gem of a link the first time round:

If he works hard, McNabb can be the second-best African American quarterback in the NFL... behind JaMarcus, of course. Today = Dominance.

Going to shake off this hangover, then try to complete more than one pass to a wide receiver this week. I think I can, I think I can...

Fine, go ahead and boo JaMarcus after my third turnover in 10 mins. I still get paid, I still eat well (real well), I still make it rain.

Jason Campbell reminds JaMarcus of a thinner version of myself.

One play, one fumble.. solid start for JaMarcus...