Nfl 2009-2010

Manning has had far more offensive weapons while Brady and Roethlisberger have benefited from having incredible front offices, a superb collection of coaches, great QB friendly systems, and above all, top notch defenses. Manning has never had a great defense to back up Indy's superb offensive play.

MrMarcello, while what you have said is generally true there are a few things I see slightly differently. People like to mock Bill Polian because he comes off as a bit of a jerk but he is a very good general manager and has done a good job at Buffalo, Carolina and Indianapolis. Tony Dungy and his staff are also one of the most respected in the league. While the whole structure around Manning was probably worse, it’s comparable to that of the Patriots and Steelers. Some of the Colt’s biggest losses have been mainly due to Manning’s performance and his reactions to looks and pressures not only as a result of his defense. While he does get a rough ride in my opinion, some of the picks he has thrown in big games were inexcusable.

Belichick has had some great defensive schemes but there have also been quite a few bad performances along the way in the Superbowl years. The pressure has then been on number 12 to carry them through, which he has done numerous times. For example, In Super Bowl XXXVIII the Patriots had the league’s best team and one of the top defenses. However, the Panthers scored 19 points and had 251 yards of offense in the fourth quarter, the biggest quarter total the Patriots had allowed in over a year. Brady responded with 11 points in the final 4 minutes, with another game winning drive.

In the 2004 AFC title game against the Steelers the defense could not get off the field in the second half. The Steelers, after scoring just 3 first-half points, scored three TDs and a field goal in just five second-half possessions. Brady up against a 15-1 record, a loud home crowd, the league’s No. 1-ranked total and scoring defense that blitzed and hit him several times and the second-coldest game in Pittsburgh history put in the best performance in his career so far. That despite being up the night before in his Pittsburgh hotel room with a 103-degree temperature and an IV drip stuck into his arm. In terms of the Pats defense I can’t be arsed going into Super Bowl XXXIX, the 2006 AFC championship game meltdown after Manning had just thrown a pick that was returned for a TD or the Superbowl against the Giants as well.

Though it obviously does not tell the full story because of the way offense and special teams can affect defensive stats, here are the recent rankings of two of the teams in the regular season. I think it’s safe to say the Steelers defense under LeBeau has been near the very top each year without digging up the stats.

2002: Colts rated 8. Patriots rated 23.
2003: Colts rated 11. Patriots rated 7.
2004: Colts rated 29. Patriots rated 9.
2005: Colts rated 11. Patriots rated 26.
2006: Colts rated 21. Patriots rated 6.
2007: Colts rated 3. Patriots rated 4.
2008: Colts rated 11. Patriots rated 10.

You did fail to mention that after Carolina scored to tie the game, meaning NE's next drive wasn't do or die, Kasey kicked out of bounds gifting NE the ball at their own 40. Brady only had to drive the team 30 yards for Vinatieri to have a chance to win it. Granted Brady had to make the plays, but so did his backs, receivers and OL. Too many times a QB is given credit for a victory or loss. Gridiron football is the ultimate team effort.

Polian is a very good GM and Dungy is a good coach, but neither have anything on the how the front office and coaching staffs of NE and Pittsburgh continuously make the right decisions. I wish Jones ran the Cowboys like Kraft does the Patriots and Rooney the Steelers. If Jones would take that approach, Dallas wouldn't routinely fail to deliver.

You did fail to mention that after Carolina scored to tie the game, meaning NE's next drive wasn't do or die, Kasey kicked out of bounds gifting NE the ball at their own 40. Brady only had to drive the team 30 yards for Vinatieri to have a chance to win it. Granted Brady had to make the plays, but so did his backs, receivers and OL. Too many times a QB is given credit for a victory or loss. Gridiron football is the ultimate team effort.

Polian is a very good GM and Dungy is a good coach, but neither have anything on the how the front office and coaching staffs of NE and Pittsburgh continuously make the right decisions. I wish Jones ran the Cowboys like Kraft does the Patriots and Rooney the Steelers. If Jones would take that approach, Dallas wouldn't routinely fail to deliver.

GM's put the pieces in place to make those runs, the problem with the Cowboys is, despite having the most talented teams (Arguably THE most talented side in 2007) they just do not perform well in a tough NFC East division (Romo).

It's not the GM's fault the players whoshould be performing, do not

True and I agree that it is mainly a team sport and not down to one individual. Brady only threw for around 45-50 yards to set up the kick on the final drive but the main point I was trying to make was about the defense. It's funny thinking about Delhomme’s performance in that game in relation to his recent woes. It was a brilliant Superbowl and one that neither side really deserved to lose; his touchdown pass to Steve Smith was a perfect throw and spiral.

GM's put the pieces in place to make those runs, the problem with the Cowboys is, despite having the most talented teams (Arguably THE most talented side in 2007) they just do not perform well in a tough NFC East division (Romo).

It's not the GM's fault the players whoshould be performing, do not

Dallas has never had a GM under the Jones reign. Unless you classify Jerry as a GM. I surely do not. Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland constructed that team of 2007, and both are now working for Miami. Ireland was the scouting director for Dallas. Jerry refuses to annoint the GM title to anyone but himself.

Dallas has never had a GM under the Jones reign. Unless you classify Jerry as a GM. I surely do not. Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland constructed that team of 2007, and both are now working for Miami. Ireland was the scouting director for Dallas. Jerry refuses to annoint the GM title to anyone but himself.

Yeah from the outside perspective I suppose I look at Jerry Jones as a puppetmaster "GM"...

So Searl, do you think you guys have the personnel in the secondary to get three or four guys after the passer and still hold up against Moss, Galloway, Welker, Edelman etc? What’s going on with your defensive line with your first round pick injured, do you have enough depth to fill in? You gave up 144 yards against the Panthers. The Pats really need to try and get a lead in this game to enable them to pound the ball into the middle for a while; Brady has thrown 100 times already.

So Searl, do you think you guys have the personnel in the secondary to get three or four guys after the passer and still hold up against Moss, Galloway, Welker, Edelman etc? What’s going on with your defensive line with your first round pick injured, do you enough depth to fill in? You gave up 144 yards against the Panthers. The Pats really need to try and get a lead in this game to enable them to pound the ball into the middle for a while; Brady has thrown 100 times already.

Losing Jerry is a big blow, but obviously our problem on D isn't up front, but as you mentioned in our secondary. Miami and Carolina are two of the NFL's better run teams so the line and LB's aren't a concern for me.

Thomas Johnson (Who hasn't played since '06 I think) is probably gonna start alongside Babs... Vance Walker or Trey Lewis (Who was supposed to be a breakthrough performer last season) Will probably be signed off the practice squad.

I think it WILL be high-scoring... one thing the Pats have always done is shut down the opposition when they have a point to prove... well this is a point needed to display, I think they'll probably sneak a win against my boys.

Early reports say both Welker and Moss are out of this weekends game. Neither took part in the full practice session, and looked to be in discomfort during parts they did take part in.

Not good news at all, if true. Edelman had an OK time last week, but replacing Welker and Moss with him and Galloway is worrying thinking.

Early reports say both Welker and Moss are out of this weekends game. Neither took part in the full practice session, and looked to be in discomfort during parts they did take part in.

Not good news at all, if true. Edelman had an OK time last week, but replacing Welker and Moss with him and Galloway is worrying thinking.

:D

Our secondary will barely have to work if that's the case.

To be frank Brady has somethingto prove, the crowd WILL be in full force, pressure's on

fecking A I have Moss on fantasy need to change him out feck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-Ari Gold

I have Bowe, Moss, and Harvin as my WRs. I'm screwed this week. Harvin is expected to play but game-time decisions for Bowe and Moss is what I'm reading online.

When will they announce if Moss is playing? feck.

Yep, and if not for a slightly rusty looking Brady, would have just got a TD. But Brady looks ALOT more composed than last week.

I put all my eggs in the Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter basket this week.

Edit: :D

Edit II: Tough gritty game for the 49ers but glad to be ahead at halftime after that FG block return for TD.

Brady is not being helped by some questionable catching. Fair enough he is overthrowing some, but about 3 have gone in and out of Edelmans hands. O how I miss Welker.

Stunning play by Favre dont know if he was in though

Anyway - Lions break their 19 game losing streak!

The celebrations was pretty funny.

Bucs were humilated from what I saw, not given a chance at all.

Classy by Detroit to go out and celebrate with their fans

Denver are gonna have two backs go over a hundred yards it looks like