Nfl 2009-2010

As much as I hate him and his cronies who are know coaches(feck YOU MCDANIELS) BB has it down, I have little doubt they will get the better of the trade, he is certainly trading him for a reason.

I take that back. HOLY feckIN SHIT FIRST ROUND PICK!??!?!???!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I suppose that means Al Davis actually won't blow the pick.

Can one of you Raider fans relay to Davis that Alex Smith is on the trading block? Thanks in advance.

Its not like we have a good record in the draft, so its no great loss. ;)

And Alex smith can jog on!

So have you given up all hope in Alex Smith? Do you want to draft a new QB?

To be honest, I'm a big believer in Shaun Hill. The guy's relatively old, has horrible mechanics, been a total journeyman for most of his career (third stringer too, not even a backup), and is god-awful in training camp, practice, and games that don't really matter. But the guy pulls magic out of his asshole every time he's played games that matter. The guy's an absolute winner, and Mike Singletary said quite emphatically last year that he wants winners.

Scale his stats from the 9 games he played last year into a full season and we're talking about a 3600 yard, 23 TD, 16 INT season and the 49ers making the playoffs instead of the Cardinals last year (everyone forgets about their awful regular season because of the fantastic postseason).

But not everyone else in the 49er Empire holds him in the same high esteem. The majority still see him as a journeyman quarterback who can hold the fort down but can't necessarily lead the team to the playoffs or the Super Bowl. Even if they did hold him in high esteem, there's still the age thing, so he's not going to be the quarterback of the future regardless of how you feel about him.

Considering Smith has had all the chances in the world to prove his worth and has failed every single time, including failing to beat out a "journeyman backup" for the starting job, his career in San Francisco is probably done. He's still a decent talent and maybe he can resurrect his career somewhere else but San Francisco isn't the place. It's tough because he's a good guy (that paycut he took says a lot about him) and a smart guy and he's had a different offensive coordinator every year he's been in the league, but Shaun Hill's had the same circumstances for his 49ers career and he's been able to produce. Smith will either be a backup in San Francisco for the next few years or will try to kick start his career somewhere else.

As for drafting a quarterback, they'll probably look to draft one next year, but they were able to get Nate Davis out of Ball State in the fifth round and he's looked very good in camp and won the 3rd QB position from Damon Huard. He was one of those QBs that fell because he's a big guy and played in a shotgun based offense at Ball State. He could be the quarterback of the future or they might find one in next year's draft.

Yeah it actually seems, the more I ponder, the smarter it is... He's been loyal to the organization for his career, he's making pennies compared to other talent his equal, I think the Pats are going him a huge favor by doing this... now he'll be a UFA, sign for TOP DOG DOLLAR with a team needing it (My hope is the Falcons dig in) and the Pats will gain another chip for a trade or a potential lottery pick.

I think this is top quality business long-term, short-term, I think it's good to see Bill and co. have faith in the kids.

The offence of course will fill in for the gaping hole that is now in D.

Now the dust has settled and I have slept on it, (how gay did that sound!?) it could really pay dividends in the long term but I’m still worried about the short. A healthy and motivated Richard Seymour in a contract year, with his eyes on cashing in is a dangerous prospect and for me, the best pure five technique in the NFL. Thinking back this move should have been more obvious, with Bill drafting a shit load of defensive linemen, (Brace and Pryor have looked very good) when the 3-4 was crying out for linebackers and the likes of Maualuga were available.

There has been a lot of 4-3 in the pre-season with both heavy (Warren, Wilfork, Brace, Green) and light (Burgess, Wilfork, Pryor, Banta-Cain) personnel groupings depending on the defensive situation. Bill is obviously a great defensive mind so I think we can get by with these schemes as well as parts of the traditional 3-4 moving forward, provided the defensive backs hold up their end of the bargain. The same two gap principles will still be in place anyway. The main worry is that it’s not always practical getting all these groupings on the field at the right time in the NFL today, a better than average QB will take advantage of it.

It’s the AFC championship game or the Superbowl with Manning or Brees driving down for a game winning score, you think they are going to allow the Pats to get the right scheme on the field with no time-outs? Heck no, it’s going to be no huddle all the way and that’s what you lose with less of the 3-4 versatility and the type of ‘coach on the field’ players like the 04-05 versions of Bruschi and Harrison gone. Nightmares of the 2006 AFC championship meltdown against the Colts and the Giant debacle in 2007 are still fresh I’m afraid.

The previous defensive, championship winning dynasty is a thing of the past both personnel wise and symbolically, it’s time to find a new identity. Fact is the Steelers and Worthlessburger have held the Lombardi aloft twice since then. The last time it felt like this was after Lawyer Milloy was traded, I’m hoping this season ends in the same place that one did. With Belichick being proved right.

The guy's an absolute winner, and Mike Singletary said quite emphatically last year that he wants winners.As for drafting a quarterback, they'll probably look to draft one next year, but they were able to get Nate Davis out of Ball State in the fifth round and he's looked very good in camp and won the 3rd QB position from Damon Huard. He was one of those QBs that fell because he's a big guy and played in a shotgun based offense at Ball State. He could be the quarterback of the future or they might find one in next year's draft.

The guy's an absolute winner, and Mike Singletary said quite emphatically last year that he wants winners.

"I'm gonna say this. About that..."

I caught one of your pre-season games and that Davis has a pretty live arm and led a few impressive drives. I can't remember if it was against the other teams defensive scrubs though. What's the story with him personally, he has some kind of learning difficulty doesn't he? Will it affect his grasp of the playbook, or don't you see him developing long term anyway? My thoughts on the matter are that Singletary probably can't play with the current group of QB's long term, can't win with 'em, can't coach with 'em, can't do it.

Not sure Searl, I don’t like this move in terms of helping the team this year; unless it leads to further moves being made. It is reportedly for a first round pick in 2011. The defensive line was supposed to be a main strength this year and help carry the weak linebacking group. Then there is the leadership aspect to think about with Bruschi, Harrison, Vrabel and now Big Sey gone. There is a huge void there and no matter how great every one thinks Mayo and some of the other younger players can be, they have achieved relatively little in the league.

There are a few hypothetical reasons for the deal. It opens up some cap space for the Patriots with several key players hitting unrestricted free agency next season (Wilfork, Gostkowski, Mankins) and him due to earn $3.685 million in his final year. I think the chances of Wilfork in particular getting paid have now increased and Seymour would have definitely demanded top dollar to sign a new deal anyway. Additionally, with the first-rounder not coming until 2011, the pick could become more valuable if the new collective bargaining agreement is in place by then. In an ideal world first-round picks will be more cost effective. Let’s hope the Raiders still suck in 2011, I would have liked to see him stay but in Bill I trust I suppose.

"Any transaction we make is with the goal of what is best for our team and, as difficult as it is to part ways with a player of Richard's stature, many factors were taken into account when we considered this trade,” Belichick continued. “As an organization, we feel the trade with Oakland brings sufficient value and is in the long-term interest of the club. We are extremely grateful for the huge impact Richard's elite level of performance had on our success and we wish him the very best during the rest of his career."

I absolutely despise the Patriots, but that bolded bit is entirely correct. The Patriots NEVER make a bad move for the team. They are the best run franchise in any of the major four sports in America and if they think this trade is for the best, I would not question it one bit if I were a Pats fan.

On an entirely unrelated note, it's going to suck to be a Browns fan this year :( Of course, that's the case every year so I'm used to it by now.

Oh yea, and anyone up for a fantasy football league? Haven't read through the thread too much, but I don't believe it's been brought up. If anyone's interested I think we'd still have time to create a league and draft before the season starts. The fantasy baseball league hasn't seemed like too much of a success, but fantasy football is a hell of a lot easier to follow and keep track of.

So any takers?

On a similar note, what do you guys think of this team in a 12 team league?

QB: Cutler
RB: Jacobs
RB: Portis
WR: Owens
WR: Bowe
TE: Tony Gonzalez
RB/WR: One of Santana Moss/Eddie Royal/Donald Brown/Steve Breaston/Ricky Williams/Jamaal Charles
K: Akers
DEF: San Diego

"I'm gonna say this. About that..."

I caught one of your pre-season games and that Davis has a pretty live arm and led a few impressive drives. I can't remember if it was against the other teams defensive scrubs though. What's the story with him personally, he has some kind of learning difficulty doesn't he? Will it affect his grasp of the playbook, or don't you see him developing long term anyway? My thoughts on the matter are that Singletary probably can't play with the current group of QB's long term, can't win with 'em, can't coach with 'em, can't do it.

The 49ers have pretty much gone behind in the scoreboard every preseason game and then Davis has led them back against the opposing scrubs in the second half, except for San Diego who absolutely destroyed us. But he's definitely showed a lot of progress in camp.

I believe he has mild dyslexia but it doesn't stop him from picking things up from the playbook. He just has to go about it in a roundabout way, which is fine, just as long as he's on the same page as everyone else when he's done. This is a guy who was supposed to be a first day QB but fell. A Yahoo article said:

Davis' stock is apparently plummeting, from day one possibility to late-round afterthought due to his size, Ball State's shotgun-based offense and ball security issues (he has a weird grip on the ball and fumbled multiple times in both of BSU's season-ending losses to Buffalo and Tulsa).

after only the Colts showed up to his pro-day. All those things are fixable so it's not a big problem. Most of Singletary's cuts to whittle the roster down to 53 have been due to work ethic, and Davis showed enough promise that the 49ers were willing to let Damon Huard, a career solid backup who has shown flashes of brilliance, go.

Oh yea, and anyone up for a fantasy football league? Haven't read through the thread too much, but I don't believe it's been brought up. If anyone's interested I think we'd still have time to create a league and draft before the season starts. The fantasy baseball league hasn't seemed like too much of a success, but fantasy football is a hell of a lot easier to follow and keep track of.

So any takers?

On a similar note, what do you guys think of this team in a 12 team league?

QB: Cutler
RB: Jacobs
RB: Portis
WR: Owens
WR: Bowe
TE: Tony Gonzalez
RB/WR: One of Santana Moss/Eddie Royal/Donald Brown/Steve Breaston/Ricky Williams/Jamaal Charles
K: Akers
DEF: San Diego

Sorry. I've already got my 4 yahoo leagues. I can't do any more since I'll have to use two accounts and end up neglecting one league. I think there's been one brought up about an ESPN league but I don't know where that was in this thread or whether it was even in this thread.

Quite good for a 12 team league though.

Sorry. I've already got my 4 yahoo leagues. I can't do any more since I'll have to use two accounts and end up neglecting one league. I think there's been one brought up about an ESPN league but I don't know where that was in this thread or whether it was even in this thread.

Quite good for a 12 team league though.

Well I'd do an ESPN if others wouldn't mind. Would you join if it was ESPN?

Well I'd do an ESPN if others wouldn't mind. Would you join if it was ESPN?

Probably not. Search this thread for it. There should already be a league in place.

I just always forget to log in to different accounts. If I have them all in one place I can take care of all of them at the same time.

That said I'll join if you really need me but I can't promise I'll stay active for the whole year.

Edit: Here it is: https://www.redcafe.net/f12/nfl-fantasy-league-264849/

My predictions for the division:

(I actually played out every game and who I thought would win, these records are legit, and nearly similar to the ESPN preview, with a few differences)

AFC East
New England 10-6
Miami 8-8
Buffalo 7-9
NY Jets 6-10

(New England's defensive holes will make their division battle tough, but will win... Miami will falter and slip up in the second half... Buffalo may get lucky, but they need to prove it before I give them props... Jets will be back near the top in a few seasons, will struggle this year)

AFC North
Pittsburgh 12-4
Baltimore 10-6
Cincinnati 7-9
Cleveland 6-10

(Steelers will prove worth again with strong division record... Baltimore will continue last years solid football... Cincinnati will come up short and the exodus will begin... Cleveland are full of confusion)

AFC South
Indianapolis 11-5
Tennessee 10-6
Houston 9-7
Jacksonville 5-11

(Indy will return to division glory with a strong Manning season... Tennessee will look less then untouchable, but will contend... Houston will pretend again this season to make the leap but will slip up... Jacksonville is on the decline, may have worse 2010/11)

AFC West
San Diego 12-4
Kansas City 4-12
Oakland 4-12
Denver 3-13

(San Diego aren't as powerful as division makes them look... KC might tinker with .500, but wont... Oakland will make slight improvements, but still lose... Denver will be the worst team in football, if not by record, but by performance)

NFC East
NY Giants 11-5
Philadelphia 10-6
Dallas 10-6
Washington 7-9

(Giants win footballs toughest division with strong divisional play... Eagles will show worth and contend for super bowl... Dallas may falter but I have faith... Washington would be a 10-6 team in any other NFC division)

NFC North
Minnesota 11-5
Chicago 10-6
Green Bay 10-6
Detroit 2-14

(Favre proves worth indoors, but Peterson takes over football... Chicago D steps up for wildcard berth... Green Bay misses out in division, but looks strong against others... Detroit will look competative but will barely win)

NFC South
Atlanta 10-6
Carolina 10-6
New Orleans 8-8
Tampa Bay 4-12

(Falcons show strength with awful schedule to win division... Panthers are a few tinkers away from being contender... New Orleans will struggle offensively, which shocks their system... Tampa Bay is on the re-build)

NFC West
Arizona 9-7
Seattle 9-7
San Francisco 7-9
St. Louis 4-12

(Arizona isn't as good as Super Bowl appearence makes them look... Seattle has awful second half... San Francisco MIGHT make the playoffs if they play division schedule well... St.Louis has another awful season.)

AFC 8:

1. Pittsburgh
2. New England
3. Indianapolis
4. San Diego
5. Baltimore
6. Tennessee
7. Houston
8. Miami

NFC 8:
1. New York Giants
2. Philadelphia Eagles
3. Minnesota Vikings
4. Atlanta Falcons
5. Chicago Bears
6. Arizona Cardinals
7. Dallas Cowboys
8. Carolina Panthers

AFC Champions: Pittsburgh Steelers
NFC Champions: Philadelphia Eagles
Super Bowl Champions: Philadelphia Eagles

It's borderline impossible to have three wins in a division only when 11 games between them. I could see the Raiders doing half decent in all honesty.

It's borderline impossible to have three wins in a division only when 11 games between them. I could see the Raiders doing half decent in all honesty.

We're talking AFC West homie... :lol:

NFL Most Valuable Player: Adrian Peterson, Vikings
Offensive Player of the Year: Adrian Peterson, Vikings
Defensive Player of the Year: Patrick Willis, 49ers
Comeback Player of the Year: Tom Brady, Patroits
Offensive Rookie of the Year: Knowshon Moreno, Broncos
Defensive Rookie of the Year: B. J. Raji, Packers

Those predictions seem a bit generous to the Browns in all honesty Searl. Otherwise, they're actually pretty good. Don't think the Eagles will win the Super Bowl though.

Those predictions seem a bit generous to the Browns in all honesty Searl. Otherwise, they're actually pretty good. Don't think the Eagles will win the Super Bowl though.

I reckon 1/2 of Clevelands wins come in the last 3 weeks of the season, I think they take one from the Bengals, They beat the Bills in week 5, and the Pack slip up in week 7.

It's hard to project these things :lol:

Agree with most of that Searl, though I think the Pats will be closer to 12-4 than 10-6. Also have a feeling the AFC South will be more competitive as a whole than you seem to indicate, the Colts are going through a big transition and always struggle with the Jaguars power offensive sets. I hope the Patriots and Steelers meet some time during the Playoff's. It's one of my favourite games and watching Brady pick apart their zone blitz schemes is a beautiful thing. Cassel just looked like a deer in the headlights last year and his inability to feel the rush in the pocket blew the game wide open.

Agree with most of that Searl, though I think the Pats will be closer to 12-4 than 10-6. Also have a feeling the AFC South will be more competitive as a whole than you seem to indicate, the Colts are going through a big transition and always struggle with the Jaguars power offensive sets. I hope the Patriots and Steelers meet some time during the Playoff's. It's one of my favourite games and watching Brady pick apart their zone blitz schemes is a beautiful thing. Cassel just looked like a deer in the headlights last year and his inability to feel the rush in the pocket blew the game wide open.

Can't fret:

Where I see the Steelers as still great, I see the Patriots as only Good-Very Good, if that makes sense... I think they struggle, slightly on defense which could cost them some vital games against big offences... I think by the time the playoffs kick in they will be good, and probably win in the WC round, but an inevitable match with Pittsburgh will be on the horizon in the Divisional round and I think they fall short.

Thought, it wouldn't shock me if, as you say, they go 12-4 themselves and are the #1 team in the AFC.

If the Packers win 10 games or more Rodgers will win the MVP award.

But in what is a difficult Division/conference, that may not be good enough to make it to the playoffs...

Although I think he's the breakout player of the year, I have him as my fantasy starter.

Rodgers and MVP, :lol:

Honestly I wouldn't doubt it. Not many quarterbacks have looked better this preseason than Rodgers. Led the offense to 9 touchdowns in 13 possessions. He himself threw 29-of-41 for 465 yards with six touchdowns and no interceptions.

Yes it's preseason and teams are still trying to figure things out, but he wasn't exactly crap last year either. 4000 yards and 28 touchdowns? Ultimately the reason they didn't make the playoffs last year was their defense, not Aaron Rodgers.

And this year he's a lot smarter and a lot more used to playing with the guys around him so expect a lot less mistakes.

He's going to throw for 4,000 yards and 30 tds this year.

Someone else sees my optomism in him.

I think he's going to be a huge surprise this season, and alongside the usual suspects will be top of the NFL in yards and td's, and will lower his INT count significantly.

He threw for 4000 and 28 last year. I don't see why this is a stretch.

Well he only threw for 63.6% last season... not only in the sense of the term, but he's going to have a monster year this season so that number will inflate to between 65-68%... this makes a big difference in the grand scheme of things, which is why I project him to throw the forementioned 35 TD's, but will probably throw between 4,500-5,000 yards.

The offence will be pass happy, he threw for 4038 yards last season, a full hundred attemptes less and about a thousand less yards then Drew Brees... I think not only will Rodgers stay on par with Brees, he may have a better season.