Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

There wont be GOATs(Messi, Diego, Pele, Kaiser etc.), every manager will get a great player but that great player wont be a first tier great and you will get that player before we start picking so you know around who you are building your side.
Have to finish the rules but will post them in few minutes so everyone can see if they are ok with it.

There wont be GOATs(Messi, Diego, Pele, Kaiser etc.), every manager will get a great player but that great player wont be a first tier great and you will get that player before we start picking so you know around who you are building your side.
Have to finish the rules but will post them in few minutes so everyone can see if they are ok with it.

That's a good call since some GOAT's are better than others especially in 16 managers pool.

1. It should be a "second tier" great, like @Šjor Bepo says - someone like Gullit or Rivellino, for example - interesting and unique enough, but without the vote-pulling ability of Peledona. The list should be decided beforehand.
2. The greats should be (maybe randomly) allocated at the beginning of the draft - if we want the draft to be a competition for creating the best possible environment for those players.
3. The committee (or just all managers) should create a blocked list - even with all SA POTY and top 3 Ballon D'Or nominees there would be a few names left that shouldn't feature in this draft unless they are the GOATs around whom we're building our teams

That's a good call since some GOAT's are better than others especially in 16 managers pool.

That + they are all done to death in drafts so we tried to find some interesting players that might didnt get a proper chance before even though they deserve it. Even though this draft isnt about quality, we are sure that someone will vote based on that, unfortunately. With that in mind we tried to pick a pretty balanced pool with no player really standing out in terms of quality. Obviously its impossible to find 16 interesting players of same quality but there wont be huge gaps like it would if we used the tier 1 players.

This is why nobody likes Russians.
Same goes for Rivellino tbh. Still, I think we discussed quite recently Gullit's case (with EAP/Annah/Joga don't really remember) - how many teams can you remember where Gullit was the star man?

He's usually picked here as a hardworking all-rounder that can balance the GOAT-ish attack. And he deserves to have a team built around him, considering how freaking amazing he was, and how unique was his skillset and playing style. Even for Netherlands in 1988, when he was their most threatening player throughout the tournament and, imo, a man of the match in the final, everyone remember van Basten as the main driving force (scoring the best goal in the history of competition helps his case too)

how many teams can you remember where Gullit was the star man?
I don't about stars but each of those great teams would have won sweet feckall without him.

He's usually picked here as a hardworking all-rounder that can balance the GOAT-ish attack.
And that needs to change, absolute rubbish. As far as his contribution to the team goes it's technical offensive brilliance (dribbling, control at pace, vision, link up play, goalscoring), physicality and then work rate. He didn't win the Ballon D'or in THAT era because he was able to cover more ground than others!

There was a period in the late-’80s when Ruud rivalled Diego Maradona as the world’s best player, and in virtually any position – centre half, winger, centre-midfield or up front. But for injuries, Ruud would’ve achieved even more than he did.” — Ronald Koeman

Gullit was a legend. He was more powerful than Van Basten, so it was almost impossible to get the ball from him. But he had a different style, and was Van Basten’s perfect partner: every coach’s dream is to have a technical player partnered with a physical one.” — Gheorghe Hagi

“Ruud Gullit is a great player by any standards. He has all the skills. He’s not afraid to do things with the ball. And he looks as if he’s enjoying every second of it. By my reckoning that’s what makes him an even better player than Maradona. Both have the key quality you will find in all the best players: balance. You just can’t knock them off the ball. It was the same with Pele, Beckenbauer and Cruyff.” — George Best

You know what, scrap the random allocation. I'm calling dibs on my man right now!

General Rules
  • Central figure of the team will be randomly allocated to a randomised list of managers
  • Snake Draft Format
  • All managers have 8 hours to decide their pick, if not they can pick whenever they are ready while the draft continues. If you know you wont be online please PM a member of committee or the manager who is picking after you.
  • DO NOT name unpicked players, repeat offenders will be punished by the committee
  • When you make a pick, please post the player name and a picture, update the ongoing draft list and tag the next manager. Who ever finishes the draft with posting picture for every player will get rewarded.
  • Once a pick is posted in the thread, either by a manager or his assistant, it CANNOT be changed. This rule is final, no exceptions (posted by mistake, etc). Be careful before posting a pick.
  • There will be 12 rounds of drafting of which the first round will be the block round.
  • Once the teams are done the matches will follow. All matches will run for 24 hours

Draft Rules
  • Teams will be built and judged for best tactical fits rather then the quality of the team. First, team has to be perfectly built around the central figure and only after that we will look at the other specific pairings, good fits for the team etc.
  • Main player will be provided in the main thread, with the player you will get the targeted peak. That period can be either a normal career peak or a special single tournament peak like World Cup, Copa etc.
  • All players must be born after 1st Jan 1935

Match Rules
  • Draft matches would be decided based on who has crafted/built the more coherent and cohesive tactical set-up around his main star as opposed to who might win in a fantasy encounter. Hopefully, this paves way for interesting discussions on the set-ups themselves - delving deeper into the creation/evolution etc of said set-up - and the personnel fit.
  • Voters are asked to consider the XIs featured as 2 separate teams not like a classic game of football, and to consider to what extent the manager has succeeded in building around his central figure. This is not a fantasy match but a comparison of 2 tactical attempts.
  • Managers can use any formations and tactics in their efforts to create the perfect scene for their main star. For example, if you get Pele from 1970 WC you are not obliged to create the same tactic or a formation in which he played there.
  • All managers have to follow the given template for write-ups in the OP and it shouldn't exceed a single post
  • No substitutions and tactical changes (role reversals etc) are allowed within a match-up.

Reinforcements
  • First round (Pre QF) of reinforcements will consists of 2 picks per team and will be conducted in the reverse order of the initial format.
  • Pre SF reinforcements will be conducted in Sheep Format. You will be able to pick one player in 3 rounds, after the third round you will get a sheep.
  • Pre final reinforcements will be conducted in Sheep Format. The two finalists will submit one pick and one pick and one block each, for three rounds. This means you can can add up to 1 player to your team and you will exit the round as soon as you have one successful pick but you will still be able to send block pick in each round your opponent participates.
  • The Reinforcements pool will consist of all picked players from the losing teams

Deadlines
  • After the draw was done, the managers have 1 week to schedule the game. If they can't because of one manager, he gets eliminated on a technicality.
  • The OP with the formation should be sent to @Šjor Bepo before 12:00 GMT on the scheduled day. If a manager fails to do that, he gets eliminated on a technicality. If there is a valid reason for the miss, the final decision can be discussed with the draft manager.

Restrictions
Block list:
GK -

DF -

MF -

ST -

Double dipped chip
maxresdefault.jpg

As Timmy said, you cant double dip the chip so we give you the pool of players of which you can pick max one player in entire draft process, if you dont like the chip you dont have to dip.
d405ec6e6f01e5fb546737dac2293a8c.jpg

ALL DISPUTES WILL BE RESOLVED BY THE DRAFT COMMITTEE.
Draft Committee -
Šjor Bepo, Antohan, Physiocrat, Balu
Special mention to @Joga Bonito from who i shamefully stole this template.

Last edited:
I don't about stars but each of those great teams would have won sweet feckall without him.
I meant draft teams, not Milan/Netherlands. And he definitely deserves much more recognition for what he had done

As far as I am understanding these rules, I think for Reinforcements you need to Block the first round picks so basically every team has an absolute maximum of one Top 3 Ballon/SAfoty and that's it.

Personally I would prefer even your First Round Raffle Selections were not in the TOP 3 of those awards either but it looks like that is already determined.

As far as I am understanding these rules, I think for Reinforcements you need to Block the first round picks so basically every team has an absolute maximum of one Top 3 Ballon/SAfoty and that's it.

good shout, will add that. As they were not picked i didnt really think about them as possible upgrade targets...

btw block list will be bigger then just top 3 spots from balon dor list:wenger:

btw block list will be bigger then just top 3 spots from balon dor list:wenger:
So it should be. Although maybe some of the players from the original top-3 should be included? The ones that are never getting picked - like Keegan/Simonsen/Belanov?

Open to joining the committee if there's room for more.

there is always room but the committee pretty much already did their job, all lists are ready + funny you asked for a spot as we put one player specially for you in the pool, thats the best we can do, now its up to the lady luck if you decide to play and i hope you do.

So it should be. Although maybe some of the players from the original top-3 should be included? The ones that are never getting picked - like Keegan/Simonsen/Belanov?

Not every top 3 balon dor player is blocked, thats all i have to say for now:wenger:

Teams will be built and judged for best tactical fits rather then the quality of the team. First, team has to be perfectly built around the central figure and only after that we will look at the other specific pairings, good fits for the team etc.

Draft matches would be decided based on who has crafted/built the more coherent and cohesive tactical set-up around his main star as opposed to who might win in a fantasy encounter.

I don't think this should be specified as a rule. If the pool is tailored enough with blocks the star power will be taken out of the equation by default. The rule definition is very ambiguous. How about an attack that perfectly fits Rivellino but a bad CB pairing? This is just game dynamics and should be left to the discretion of the manager/voters.

there is always room but the committee pretty much already did their job, all lists are ready + funny you asked for a spot as we put one player specially for you in the pool, thats the best we can do, now its up to the lady luck if you decide to play and i hope you do.

Good to know, don't think I will have the time to play for some time but will be following this one eagerly.

I don't think this should be specified as a rule. If the pool is tailored enough with blocks the star power will be taken out of the equation by default. The rule definition is very ambiguous. How about an attack that perfectly fits Rivellino but a bad CB pairing? This is just game dynamics and should be left to the discretion of the manager/voters.

Do you feel personally targeted by this rule? :wenger:

Last edited:

Belanov'86 should be a first round handout IMO. He went unselected in the International Tournament draft and Eastern European if I remember despite winning a Ballon based partly on his WC performance.

Agree with it, otherwise it would be like Remake draft. As you would just pick the best team with your man (e.g. Brazil 70 for Rivellino) and try to replicate it. Think usual draft matches would be better where you can use your allocated player in creative ways to counter other team.

the reason i added that to the rules is to ensure that our central figures really get teams built around them as they are often move to support roles in draft games....but i can see why that rule is problematic and i agree in general....we will try to find a good solution.

@Šjor Bepo

Starting point: you choose the list of blocked players (the question is: do you want to see a lot of new faces or not?)
Next: who are the 16 main stars?

If you want my point of view, I'd say

---> I'd like a preliminary stage for the 1st player - sheep mode - so that we can potentially choose our 'main star' depending the criteria or the list of main stars you submit
---> Snake draft for the 11 or 13 remaining players.
---> Spirit of the draft: 'The beauty and the 10 Beasts'

Beauty-and-the-Beast.jpg

Agree with it, otherwise it would be like Remake draft. As you would just pick the best team with your man (e.g. Brazil 70 for Rivellino) and try to replicate it. Think usual draft matches would be better where you can use your allocated player in creative ways to counter other team.

I'm not sure what differentiates this from Remake draft. Isn't this just a remake draft but with a player instead of a manager?

The only cases I can see it being non-remake would be for earlier players that played in a WM or 2-3-5 where the best tactical fit would be a modern formation.

@Šjor Bepo

Starting point: you choose the list of blocked players (the question is: do you want to see a lot of new faces or not?)
Next: who are the 16 main stars?

---> I'd like a preliminary stage for the 1st player - sheep mode - so that we can potentially choose our 'main star' depending the criteria or the list of main stars you submit
Already said that the block list is pretty big so the answer is yes.
This is just a preliminary discussion about the rules, no point of going out with the lists as there is a possibility they change in the meantime....
Was thinking about it but in the end decided against it, it not fair either way(sheep or something else) as in the end it all depends on luck so why give someone a player that they want and to someone else a random guy as it was pure luck that decided that outcome. Its better that all managers get a random player like we got random teams in remake draft. I got a team that i hated and i enjoyed the draft very much.

I'm not sure what differentiates this from Remake draft. Isn't this just a remake draft but with a player instead of a manager?

The only cases I can see it being non-remake would be for earlier players that played in a WM or 2-3-5 where the best tactical fit would be a modern formation.

Managers can use any formations and tactics in their efforts to create the perfect scene for their main star. For example, if you get Pele from 1970 WC you are not obliged to create the same tactic or a formation in which he played there.

For example, you get Andy Carroll but you are free to build a tiki taka side around him if you think that would get the best out of him even though he never played in tiki taka before.

and another thing for central figure list, if we go out with the list you just know everyone will have problems with at least one player on the list and will have some other player to suggest instead, its impossible to please everyone. Thats why i think its better that you guys dont know that list until we make a draft.
In a way thats why i built the committee so im not the only one that is picking those players, its 4 of us and we all agreed on every player on that list so that process was as fair as i believe it can be.

Rules are different though, every suggestion helps so we welcome both positive and negative comments about that.