Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

Well depends what criteria you put in. If we talk about real life examples then this example can't happen really. You know the team sheets in advance both yours and the oppositions, so you have still time to make a change prior the match kicks off. If we want to stress on more realism then 1 hr before the game you have to submit your team sheet. In that case you can reshuffle players positions and not man mark anybody.

Based on those team sheets and starting 11 you can adjust your strategy and tactics as well but you'll always know in advance who you are up against.
Isn't that a pretty recent thing though? I don't think in older times you had the manager knowing the oppo an hour before. Only when out on the pitch was the line up announced.

If we want to stress on more realism then 1 hr before the game you have to submit your team sheet. In that case you can reshuffle players positions and not man mark anybody.

That would be sick, lets do it! :lol:

Isn't that a pretty recent thing though? I don't think in older times you had the manager knowing the oppo an hour before. Only when out on the pitch was the line up announced.
Not sure about it mate. When I was a kid in the 90's even at low level we had to submit team sheets 45-40 mins before the game and our coach knew the other team line up as well. Not sure if that was the case in the 80's, 70's etc but depends on when you look at it. I'm pretty sure from the 90's 00's you can get the oppo's team from the officials before the game as it has to be submitted in advance.

Not sure about it mate. When I was a kid in the 90's even at low level we had to submit team sheets 45-40 mins before the game and our coach knew the other team line up as well. Not sure if that was the case in the 80's, 70's etc but depends on when you look at it. I'm pretty sure from the 90's 00's you can get the oppo's team from the officials before the game as it has to be submitted in advance.
Yes I'm talking about before the 90s.

@Aldo

It would be great if you could enforce something like that in this draft. From my experiences, there's very little value in how teams are set, and greater focus is put on 1-on-1 player battles. These draft matches start to become less of a football match and more of a direct comparison of players when that happens, which completely takes away from the team's own intrinsic values. This approach also leads to more boring drafts as the usual names continue to crop up whilst the other great players get shunted away as less focus gets put on them.

We'll see about that. It's not gonna happen in the upcoming one as far as I'm concerned.
I think you can implement the tempo/zones/player instructions template tho. Sounds interesting and will be quite clear how that team will work generally what your tactics will be.

We can discuss how will you can counter the opposition, but having a general layout of what your players are supposed to do on the pitch on and off the ball IMO will be pretty interesting and easy to read in the OP.

It will require more work to be put by the managers tho, but IMO it will be worth it.

It would be great if you could enforce something like that in this draft.
I will, I will. A formal template will be provided in the draft thread. You've already seen bits of it, the rest will be added soon.
You won't be asked to state anything a manager wouldn't usually know about his team. All basic, yet vital instructions that shape the course of a game.

It's a no brainer at this point. And it should be received positively, it's less work for the managers in the write ups.

I think you can implement the tempo/zones/player instructions template tho. Sounds interesting and will be quite clear how that team will work generally what your tactics will be.

We can discuss how will you can counter the opposition, but having a general layout of what your players are supposed to do on the pitch on and off the ball IMO will be pretty interesting and easy to read in the OP.
Yep, I'll add that.

IMHO, the top priority is to have definitive rules regarding the available pool of players and a complete blocked list.

I understand there is one block per drafter and that players can't be born later than 31st December 1989: confirmed?

Then, we can work on the template and the format of the games.

This is off topic entirely, but I've been trying to remember this all morning and it's bugging me now.

There was a post match interview after a PL match I think, and the interviewer was asking some brutal questions. Both hilarious and cringeworthy.

Who was it? :nervous: Winner gets a prize*

*no actual prize included

This is off topic entirely, but I've been trying to remember this all morning and it's bugging me now.

There was a post match interview after a PL match I think, and the interviewer was asking some brutal questions. Both hilarious and cringeworthy.

Who was it? :nervous: Winner gets a prize*

*no actual prize included

Geoff Shreeves?

How do you guys feel about limiting the pool for reinforcements?

Say 5th picks and later after the first round, then 3rd picks or later and the whole pool before the final.

It seems a bit too convenient to be able to replace your worst players by GOATs after the first match.

How do you guys feel about limiting the pool for reinforcements?

Say 5th picks and later after the first round, then 3rd picks or later and the whole pool before the final.

It seems a bit too convenient to be able to replace your worst players by GOATs after the first match.
Aye, that's sound. And I've seen it being tried in drafts and work.
Although, this can possibly wait for the draft after the Reserves one, as there are more or less no GOATs in this one anyway. 208 bannings plus 16 more to come from the managers.

@Aldo @BBRBB

Regarding reinforcement, I suggest recruitments of ... unpicked players !!

The idea is to inject fresh blood in the mercato :)

Regarding reinforcement, I suggest recruitments of ... unpicked players !!
So you mean, after 224 players have been banned and a further 192 have been picked, you want to reinforce from what's remaining? :D

Can't see that being quite popular, in this draft at least. I think normal reinforcements are fine for this one but these ideas can surely be used in future ones.

So you mean, after 224 players have been banned and a further 192 have been picked, you want to reinforce from what's remaining? :D

Can't see that being quite popular, in this draft at least. I think normal reinforcements are fine for this one but these ideas can surely be used in future ones.

we could leave that as a open option, you can pick from unpicked pool if you want but you can also go usual route and pick someone from the losers pool.

One day, it could be funny to start with the equivalent of George Best and get at the end of the process popular players like Djemba Djemba, Prunier or Fellaini :D

we could leave that as a open option, you can pick from unpicked pool if you want but you can also go usual route and pick someone from the losers pool.
Yes of course, that's been done a lot of times, and I don't mind that. The pool from the losing teams will also be there though.

I think some of the FM trappings and terminology are a bit wanky, but I'm open to folk being specific about their intentions rather than fudging stuff.

Can I just mention "Evra - Balanced" or the like if I don't have any specific tasks for this match?
Yeah, of course. Evra - LeftBack - Balanced, works.

I think some of the FM trappings and terminology are a bit wanky, but I'm open to folk being specific about their intentions rather than fudging stuff.
It's only similar, not a replica. The focus is on the manager giving a clear outline of his team, not some wishy washy "theyre great players, theyll work it out" and stuff. It degrades the quality of the match threads.

Not a big fan of the specifics in strategy. I can understand if team is playing something specific like tiki taka or high press or man marking and such. But the for the rest it doesn't make much sense.
As a manager your first job is to know what every player in your team is supposed to do. That's what you'll have to specify, nothing more.

All Time Reserves Draft Signups:

1. Aldo Staine
2. Tuppet
3. Sjor Bepo & Invictus
4. Downcast
5. RedTiger
6. Stobzilla & KM
7. Skizzo & Pat_Mustard
8. Edgar Allan Pillow
9. Isotope
10. Enigma_87
11. BBRBB
12. mazhar13
13. harms
14. MJJ

Interested AMs:
1. anant
2. Marty1968

Tentative Start Date: Next week, Tuesday April the 5th.

Rough Outline of the rules:

1. All players in the Banned List are not available for the entire duration of the draft.
2. Players born later than 31 December 1989 are not available for the entire duration of the draft.
3. Every manager must submit an additional block that will be added to the Banned List at the start of the draft.

Rest is same as regular: Snake Draft, 8 hours deadline, etc.
First Reinforcement round will be opposite of the main draft order.
All Reinforcements there on out would be in sheep format.

Last edited:
Do we continue with the current draft style of doing the draw before the draft or revert back to the old way of drafting first and then doing the draw?

Do we continue with the current draft style of doing the draw before the draft or revert back to the old way of drafting first and then doing the draw?

I think doing the draw before the draft has worked well. It hasn't radically altered things but it does provide a nice additional twist in terms of team building.

I'm not back from holiday until Monday 11th and then start Jury Service for two weeks so will stay out of this one. If anyone needs a part time AM or someone to bounce ideas off though then I can probably assist..

If we know our opponent, strong focus will be put on 1-on-1 player battles.

I prefer the former option and have a surprising draw at the end.

If we know our opponent, strong focus will be put on 1-on-1 player battles.

I prefer the former option and have a surprising draw at the end.
I agree with this. It helps you concentrate building your own team rather than the opposition. In this way we can have a contrast of 2 styles in the end rather than molding your team to the opposition. Just my .02

I'd go with the old model. This has been an interesting twist and well worth trying out, but I'm not sure how well it has actually worked. You get an added tactical element to the drafting itself, but you also lose something: Firstly, there's a danger of adding even more emphasis to 1-on-1 "battles" (which Downcast mentions), and we really don't need more of that. And secondly it's questionable from a "realism" point of view as well. In an actual tournament you don't recruit players to counter an opponent - you fiddle around with what you already have in order to best deal with whatever team you're up against.

Plus, there's the element of surprise which goes out the window. So, all in all - old school is better in this case for me.

While we at tactical surprises and all that, think we should draft more then 12 players(14 or 15 would be ideal). In that case you will make your opponent in the dark as you will have free hands in tactical department. With only one sub there isnt much you can do and there is zero surprises in the first round + the drafting would be even more fun as you pick more players:drool:
For reinforcements rounds we can make the rule that you need remove one player before you pick the next one so we dont to much players in our squad.