Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

List of Drafts:

Draft I: Cal?'s - New Fantasy Draft (Winner: Cal?)
Draft II: Polaroid's - Retro Fantasy Draft - all players born in 60s (Winner: Polaroid)
Draft III: Cal?'s - 70s Fantasy Draft (Winner: Cling Bak)
Draft IV: Brwned's - 50s Fantasy Draft (Winner: Brwned)
Draft V: Polaroid's Premier League 20 Season Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft VI: antohan's All -Time Fantasy Draft (Winner: antohan)
Draft VII: Theon's - Champions League Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft VIII: Aldo's - Decades Draft (Winner: Theon)
Draft IX: Future Stars Draft (Winner: NM/Snow)
Draft X: World Cup Peak Draft (Winner: Annahnomoss)
Draft XI: Aldo's - Sheep Draft (Winner Gio)
Draft XII: Polaroid's - Transfer Muppet Draft (Winner: MJJ)
Draft XIII: Annahnomoss's - Auction Draft (Winner: Cutch/Annah)
Draft XIV: rpitroda's - Criteria Draft (Winner: Aldo)
Draft XV: EAP's - Reality Draft (Winner: antohan)
Draft XVI: Annahnomoss's - Managers Draft (Winner: EAP)
Draft XVII: crappycraperson's - British Irish Draft (Winner: MJJ)
Draft XVIII: EAP's - Modern Era Draft (Winner: Theon)
Draft XIX: Skizzo's - Second Sheep Draft (Winner: Cutch)
Draft XX: Balu's - Euro Draft (Winner: Joga Bonito)
Draft XXI: Annahnomoss's - All Time Auction Draft (Winner: Cal?)
Draft XXII: Skizzo's All Time Premier League Draft (Winner: Skizzo/Pat)
Draft XXIII: EAP's Chain Draft (Winner: The Stain)
Draft XXIV: Aldo's 40s Retro Draft (Winner: Gio/Theon)
Draft XXV: Gio's Third Redcafe Sheep Draft (Winner: Stobzilla)
Draft XXVI: Marty1968's Three Leagues Draft (Winner: Enigma87/Snow)
Draft XXVII: Aldo's Reserves Draft (Winner: TBC)

I had a feeling that Joga won 2 drafts already, no?

What about doing my idea guys?

I need a reminder...

On a general note, though, if you have a defined concept - just go for it. The junkies will sign up no matter what it is.

For me, though, the next draft should be about experimenting with some of the ideas brought up in this thread, pertaining to the basics (and not related to any particular draft theme or concept as such): Matches, not least. Keepers. Subs. And so forth. So, I'd be in favour of a draft which doesn't make the above hard to implement.

I need a reminder...

On a general note, though, if you have a defined concept - just go for it. The junkies will sign up no matter what it is.

For me, though, the next draft should be about experimenting with some of the ideas brought up in this thread, pertaining to the basics (and not related to any particular draft theme or concept as such): Matches, not least. Keepers. Subs. And so forth. So, I'd be in favour of a draft which doesn't make the above hard to implement.
My idea was to get everyone to PM me their entire starting 11 and then I'd block the players that aren't unique picks and then draft from there. This way we can actually submit working sides instead of trying to pigeon hole players.

My idea was to get everyone to PM me their entire starting 11 and then I'd block the players that aren't unique picks and then draft from there. This way we can actually submit working sides instead of trying to pigeon hole players.

Right. Yes, that sounds like good fun.

Wouldn't interfere with any match related/keeper related/sub related experiments either, as far as I can tell.

As a basic concept, I like it very much. Would be a different sort of deal - and it would be possible to really profit from thinking outside the box, choosing non-obvious players, etc.

Right. Yes, that sounds like good fun.

Wouldn't interfere with any match related/keeper related/sub related experiments either, as far as I can tell.

As a basic concept, I like it very much. Would be a different sort of deal - and it would be possible to really profit from thinking outside the box, choosing non-obvious players, etc.
You get me! Just to make it harder, those who don't end up with a full 11 will have to do some seriously hard criteria drafts to complete the side:)

List of Drafts:

Draft I: Cal?'s - New Fantasy Draft (Winner: Cal?)
Draft II: Polaroid's - Retro Fantasy Draft - all players born in 60s (Winner: Polaroid)
Draft III: Cal?'s - 70s Fantasy Draft (Winner: Cling Bak)
Draft IV: Brwned's - 50s Fantasy Draft (Winner: Brwned)
Draft V: Polaroid's Premier League 20 Season Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft VI: antohan's All -Time Fantasy Draft (Winner: antohan)
Draft VII: Theon's - Champions League Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft VIII: Aldo's - Decades Draft (Winner: Theon)
Draft IX: Future Stars Draft (Winner: NM/Snow)
Draft X: World Cup Peak Draft (Winner: Annahnomoss)
Draft XI: Aldo's - Sheep Draft (Winner Gio)
Draft XII: Polaroid's - Transfer Muppet Draft (Winner: MJJ)
Draft XIII: Annahnomoss's - Auction Draft (Winner: Cutch/Annah)
Draft XIV: rpitroda's - Criteria Draft (Winner: Aldo)
Draft XV: EAP's - Reality Draft (Winner: antohan)
Draft XVI: Annahnomoss's - Managers Draft (Winner: EAP)
Draft XVII: crappycraperson's - British Irish Draft (Winner: MJJ)
Draft XVIII: EAP's - Modern Era Draft (Winner: Theon)
Draft XIX: Skizzo's - Second Sheep Draft (Winner: Cutch)
Draft XX: Balu's - Euro Draft (Winner: Joga Bonito)
Draft XXI: Annahnomoss's - All Time Auction Draft (Winner: Cal?)
Draft XXII: Skizzo's All Time Premier League Draft (Winner: Skizzo/Pat)
Draft XXIII: EAP's Chain Draft (Winner: The Stain)
Draft XXIV: Aldo's 40s Retro Draft (Winner: Gio/Theon)
Draft XXV: Gio's Third Redcafe Sheep Draft (Winner: Stobzilla)
Draft XXVI: Physiocrat's Billy No Mates Draft (Winner: Joga Bonito/Gio)
Draft XXVII: Marty1968's Three Leagues Draft (Winner: Enigma87/Snow)
Draft XXVIII: Aldo's Reserves Draft (Winner: TBC)

I think it would be great to put restrictions on the birth date. Something like 20s-60s, 50-80s or 70s-2000s.

So, instead of having a long blocked list, we could restrict the pool by defining a range of birth date.

It would be easier to analyse the confrontations.

I think it would be great to put restrictions on the birth date. Something like 20s-60s, 50-80s or 70s-2000s.

So, instead of having a long blocked list, we could restrict the pool by defining a range of birth date.

It would be easier to analyse the confrontations.

We've had 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s drafts with such restricted birth dates.

I get Downcast's point. It is hard to compare across eras. We can take a general position that all eras are roughly the same, so that the stars of the 60s are just as good as the stars of the 90s. But usually when it comes to the crunch, anyone pre-TV age gets a poorer reception. Maybe that's only fair and right given advances in the game, but it sometimes defeats the purpose of a wide age range. Perhaps a pre-1940 draft at some point would be a challenging but useful means of giving some of those boys a proper airing.

I get Downcast's point. It is hard to compare across eras. We can take a general position that all eras are roughly the same, so that the stars of the 60s are just as good as the stars of the 90s. But usually when it comes to the crunch, anyone pre-TV age gets a poorer reception. Maybe that's only fair and right given advances in the game, but it sometimes defeats the purpose of a wide age range. Perhaps a pre-1940 draft at some point would be a challenging but useful means of giving some of those boys a proper airing.

Agreed. 2 advantages:

- the opportunity to be sure we don't ignore some stars of the "Ancient Times"
- an easier understanding of the games: hard to analyse the performance of Zidane if we have the legendary Ocwirk on the pitch.

Of course, each draft has his pros and cons :)

The current draft is an excellent one and that is why I have another different suggestion

- The current draft has 208+16= 224 blocked players
- 16 teams so 192 new players

Let's try one day another draft "Reserves Draft-Level 2" with 224+192= 416 blocked players :devil:

Yeah, that's a brilliant idea and would certainly help a lot for future all time drafts. We had more than enough all time drafts in recent times anyway and should look into different eras/leagues for a while. The Southamerican draft is long overdue, I might run a Bundesliga draft in the near future if people are interested (lots of underrated players still there and only a few got their fair due in the last 3 leagues draft). Add a pre-WWII draft to it (or pre-1940 born one) and maybe a fun modern one inbetween like another sheep draft and we would have a break from all time drafts for a while and would widen the knowledge about football quite a bit.

Yeah, that's a brilliant idea and would certainly help a lot for future all time drafts. We had more than enough all time drafts in recent times anyway and should look into different eras/leagues for a while. The Southamerican draft is long overdue, I might run a Bundesliga draft in the near future if people are interested (lots of underrated players still there and only a few got their fair due in the last 3 leagues draft). Add a pre-WWII draft to it (or pre-1940 born one) and maybe a fun modern one inbetween like another sheep draft and we would have a break from all time drafts for a while and would widen the knowledge about football quite a bit.

3 interesting ideas.

We also could imagine a draft like "All the players who played in the French and Portuguese leagues"

Perhaps a pre-1940 draft at some point would be a challenging but useful means of giving some of those boys a proper airing.
Would be great to at least lay a proper foundation with intensive research about said players. e.g. even someone as brilliant as Sindelar, hardly has much in these parts of the internet about his actual exploits in the game. Similarly, most South American players suffer due to lack of coverage of South American league football in Europe and even someone like Pele cannot escape that problem. Given how curious the lot are here, we can create a really great foundation about these players.

We also could imagine a draft like "All the players who played in the French and Portuguese leagues"
Might be interesting to include Belgium as well in that. They had a few great sides who are constantly overlooked while the Dutch sides are really well used.

Eastern European players have featured a bit more over the last 1-2 years but there's so much more quality to uncover, so an Eastern European one is also overdue. I think @harms thought about running one a while ago? Austria had a few influential players and teams, who deserve to play a bigger role in a draft, maybe we could include them in the Eastern European one (just make it every country east of Germany?).

The Southamerican draft is long overdue
That would unearth some amazing gems. Specially if we restrict the nation quota so that it's not only filled with Brazilians and Argentine players but say you can have a max of 5-6 players from those nations and need to pick from others as well. Uruguay, Peru, Chile and Paraguay have some greats that would deserve a mention. I'd go with 5 max from the big two and then two max from any of the remaining nations.

Might be interesting to include Belgium as well in that. They had a few great sides who are constantly overlooked while the Dutch sides are really well used.

Eastern European players have featured a bit more over the last 1-2 years but there's so much more quality to uncover, so an Eastern European one is also overdue. I think @harms thought about running one a while ago? Austria had a few influential players and teams, who deserve to play a bigger role in a draft, maybe we could include them in the Eastern European one (just make it every country east of Germany?).

I am very open regarding the inclusions so no issues with third countries like Belgium or Switzerland :D

I'm all up for this if there is enough interest.The pool of quality players is huge IMO.

Don't remember if I wanted to run one, but I certainly can, if there is interest. USSR, Yugoslavia, Hungary, Poland... The pool is really big and interesting

Use the criteria @Gio used for the first round of his sheep draft.
I think that if we are to make a draft based on Eastern European players we should expand the pool from just the Ballon D'Or nominees - it was a brilliant criteria for the round but we will need much more players for 12 rounds of drafting + a lot of forgotten EE gems were never nominated (and it's one of the reason they are not so highly rated/widely known)

The definition of Eastern Europe may stand except for Turkey, probably - I don't like it, it's a completely different culture, football and overall. Armenia/Azerbaijan for example can stay because they were part of the Soviet Union

We'll have enough time to discuss all this in the preparations as it's certainly not one of the soonest drafts - there are SA draft and pre-40 idea which sounds great

Yeah I'd agree on both points - to exclude Turkey - with the defined area for geopolitical and football reasons being:

eastern_europe.jpg

We should do the "google hangout draft" where we get everyone who wants to play mic'd up and you do the drafting there and then in one group conversation. Throw in some rum and let hilarity ensue.

We should do the "google hangout draft" where we get everyone who wants to play mic'd up and you do the drafting there and then in one group conversation. Throw in some rum and let hilarity ensue.
That's a brilliant idea. Sign me up.