Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

@Marty1968 how we judge players, career peak or league peak? im guessing its the latter one but just to be sure :)

Yeah I'll become VivaJayJay.
@Gio How about making reinforcements round without the first three round picks? Than the final teams won't be devastating but you can still improve problems in your team untill the finals

Yeah I'll become VivaJayJay.
@Gio How about making reinforcements round without the first three round picks? Than the final teams won't be devastating but you can still improve problems in your team untill the finals

I think that might run the risk of unbalancing some teams. Depending on the quality by the 4th round, the first couple of picks in reinforcements might be much better than what's available by the 4th pick.

I guess in theory it might balance out since there will only be 4 teams picking from each league for reinforcements.

Personally, I think limiting it to any available players from your league is fine, just no crossover. That way any "super team" you might possibly build is at least still within the restrictions and spirit of the draft theme. And by the end, could see a tasty Serie A vs La Liga match.

Personally, I think limiting it to any available players from your league is fine, just no crossover. That way any "super team" you might possibly build is at least still within the restrictions and spirit of the draft theme. And by the end, could see a tasty Serie A vs La Liga match.

The theme combined with the DOB cutoff should be enough to make it interesting. But I would definitely add league peak to this - seems logical and in line with how these things usually work (Euro form for a Euro draft - non-Euro form being irrelevant).

Fact is that league peak could be an interesting little curve ball of sorts here, as it should make managers think twice about drafting some otherwise obvious names. Being careless in that regard could come back to bite yer arse - when your opponent rightly points out that yer star man actually was a bit shite in Serie A/la Liga.

Also, @Marty1968, I'm just wondering why we don't just leave it as Serie A vs. La Liga the whole way so that we not only play for ourselves but also for the league that we represent, or is there a flaw to that approach that I don't see?

Also, @Marty1968, I'm just wondering why we don't just leave it as Serie A vs. La Liga the whole way so that we not only play for ourselves but also for the league that we represent, or is there a flaw to that approach that I don't see?

I think that's the plan ideally, but that would mean an equal number of Serie A/La Liga teams win each round, which is probably unlikely.

The theme combined with the DOB cutoff should be enough to make it interesting. But I would definitely add league peak to this - seems logical and in line with how these things usually work (Euro form for a Euro draft - non-Euro form being irrelevant).

Fact is that league peak could be an interesting little curve ball of sorts here, as it should make managers think twice about drafting some otherwise obvious names. Being careless in that regard could come back to bite yer arse - when your opponent rightly points out that yer star man actually was a bit shite in Serie A/la Liga.

Missed the DoB restriction. That should keep it somewhat limited then.

I assumed there would be a league restriction in the vein of Euro draft etc. would be strange not to.

I've been fleshing out my own draft idea a bit more, and will attempt to run it at some point after Marty's if people are interested. It will be a combination draft with a few bamboozle elements (to be announced at a later stage), but the theme will be as follows:

Each manager (a total of 16 seems like the obvious way to go here) will be given a partially composed team to begin with: I will throw 16 historical teams into the mix, partly fitted out with mainstays and water carriers in their customary positions. The managers will be given a team each, allocated randomly, and then tasked with drafting in the remainder of the roster to compose an XI plus one substitute.

The historical teams will be chosen from within a certain period, so that the discrepancy between eras won't be too dramatic, i.e. manager X and Y will not be allocated Chapman's Arsenal and Pep's Barca respectively. More like Sacchi's Milan and Maureen's Chelsea – that sort of spread, if you like, a thirty year period or something like that.

The key to these allocated teams is that what's in place is the bare bones, the bread and butter, no easy sells and no proper stars. The latter is for the manager to identify and draft.

The drafting itself will be done within a certain framework of criteria as well, to further limit the amount of obvious names present in the line-ups. The main focus of the draft will be on tactical choices and the ability to compose functional teams using, in part, players you are simply stuck with.

As an example, let's use this:

Barca's LC winners from 2006, that is. Now, this is obviously just for illustration purposes. In reality, you'll probably get a default CB rather than two fullbacks, but this could in theory vary slightly from team to team. Precisely what team you're allocated may also influence to an extent what particular criteria will be in place for you (i.e. the criteria will not necessarily be identical for all managers).

Well, that's the essence of it. The really interesting parts - the bamboozlin' and so forth - will be dealt with later. For now I'm just announcing the basic idea and the intention of running it.

[Managers (not confirmed/pending): 1. Aldo 2. KM...]

Last edited:
I'll be in too.

Excellent. I'll create a separate thread for this, but people can just tag me in this thread and then I'll keep updating a preliminary list of managers (a reservation list, as it were) in the draft thread (no need to keep said thread active before we get close to starting the thing itself).

I'll add some more details in the draft thread too, but the main features won't be announced until later.

Excellent. I'll create a separate thread for this, but people can just tag me in this thread and then I'll keep updating a preliminary list of managers (a reservation list, as it were) in the draft thread (no need to keep said thread active before we get close to starting the thing itself).

I'll add some more details in the draft thread too, but the main features won't be announced until later.

In.

@VivaJanuzaj so we teaming up or not?

I love the idea @Chesterlestreet. I love selling underrated/underappreciated players, and this draft is just perfect for me. Sign me up as well!

I'm looking forward to the criteria that you'll be setting as well. Hopefully it'll prevent managers from trying to cover up for the lesser-known/rated players.

Hopefully it'll prevent managers from trying to cover up for the lesser-known/rated players.

That's very much the idea. We're always talking about cutting down on vote winners and promoting foot soldiers, but it rarely happens to any great degree. The way I envisage this thing is that the managers may end up - if they draft well, are astute, and perhaps a bit lucky - with a team on par with the great sides in football history...but that's it.

No sides comprised of multiple GOATs and a ridiculous supporting cast. In that sense it will have an air of "realism" to it, but the latter isn't the main point: I'm not after realism, or non-shiny players, for the sake of it - it's much more an attempt at doing things differently, an "alternative" sort of draft on several levels (including the way matches are played out - but more about that by and by).

Did anyone mention giving the team with a keeper at a higher tier a few votes in advance? I think it would be a good idea to experiment with that in a different way.

We could have the draft run in its normal way, and once the voting is closed, votes could be awarded to the team with the keeper at the relatively highest tier. What I mean by that is if Keeper A of Team A is a Tier 2 keeper, and Keeper B of Team B is a Tier 1 or GOAT Tier keeper, then Team B can get 2/3 votes extra in their favour (+1 goal difference if we have the goal-difference system like in the Billy No Mates draft). I believe that will make keepers even more valuable whilst still upholding the integrity of the whole draft.

Currently, no one cares about keepers when voting. Voters only care about the outfield players. With what I proposed, at least the keepers will have some value for the managers, more than what we have with the penalties approach and with less randomness as well.

I'm looking out for an AM to help me out as I just got a job recentlyand won't have as much time to spend on these forums as I used to. Whoever replies first will become my AM. And Stobzilla, I know you have some strange vendetta against me, but me being fair, I won't leave you out as well. ;)

It's not a strange vendetta, I just don't like you on a personal level.

Left out again...

Can we do a 32 team draft next time?

Join the AM circuit, man. People are gaggin' for 'em.

A 32 team draft requires the right sort of theme, I think. You could do it with this present theme, technically, but you'd be digging somewhat deep in the available pool. Not that I personally would have anything against that, but it could get downright boring past a certain point.

Another thing with the 32 is that you probably have to have even shorter deadlines, and really enforce the rules as pertaining to not showing up on time - otherwise it could lose momentum quickly.

Personally, I think the 32 is best suited to a custom format of one kind or another - not a standard draft of 10-12 rounds of snake or similar.

Join the AM circuit, man. People are gaggin' for 'em.

A 32 team draft requires the right sort of theme, I think. You could do it with this present theme, technically, but you'd be digging somewhat deep in the available pool. Not that I personally would have anything against that, but it could get downright boring past a certain point.

Another thing with the 32 is that you probably have to have even shorter deadlines, and really enforce the rules as pertaining to not showing up on time - otherwise it could lose momentum quickly.

Personally, I think the 32 is best suited to a custom format of one kind or another - not a standard draft of 10-12 rounds of snake or similar.
True, alternatively we could have 2x16 team drafts, and have a grand final at the end, but it could get confusing and people will start stealing ideals from the "other group".

@Marty1968 how we judge players, career peak or league peak? im guessing its the latter one but just to be sure :)
Had originally thought career peak but it will be league peak! Will make it a bit tougher!

I think that's the plan ideally, but that would mean an equal number of Serie A/La Liga teams win each round, which is probably unlikely.
This will only work if after the first round we have 4 teams from each league. If we do then will keep them separate but it's likely there won't be four from each.

I'll be in too.
Viva and MJJ are combined so @KM you have a spot.

Left out again...

Can we do a 32 team draft next time?
If nobody signs you up as an AM then take my spot

If nobody signs you up as an AM then take my spot
Thanks, but that's not fair on you and I'm going to be on holiday in a few days anyway, so probably not the best timing if this starts in the next week or so.

Thanks, but that's not fair on you and I'm going to be on holiday in a few days anyway, so probably not the best timing if this starts in the next week or so.
You can assist me?

Sure, but like I said, I won't be much good if it starts within the next week. After next weekend I'd be more than happy to.
No problem with me!

Ok will update the manager lists and post a new thread this afternoon (out this morning).

I reckon a 32 team draft would work best for a sheep or Auction draft as I think they actually draft quickest.

I reckon a 32 team draft would work best for a sheep or Auction draft as I think they actually draft quickest.
Probably an auction draft I reckon...Sheep draft would be seriously messy with 32 teams!!! (actually that would be brutally amazing!!!)

@Chesterlestreet count me in. But wait, do we know already have 2 drafts ready before the last one even ended:lol: Good job fellow junkies!