Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

I thought @Annahnomoss 's points system in that one draft was also an interesting take to prevent these galactico sides from happening. Not entirely sure which one it was (one of the auction drafts?) but I think everyone had only 12 points to use and the elite attackers cost 6 points, the elite midfielders 3 and the elite defenders 2. So everyone had to fill up the teams with weaker players.

It could have used a few tweaks, but it was certainly a great idea.

I thought @Annahnomoss 's points system in that one draft was also an interesting take to prevent these galactico sides from happening. Not entirely sure which one it was (one of the auction drafts?) but I think everyone had only 12 points to use and the elite attackers cost 6 points, the elite midfielders 3 and the elite defenders 2. So everyone had to fill up the teams with weaker players.

It could have used a few tweaks, but it was certainly a great idea.
This. It was a great draft.
Maybe it's time for another Auction draft? we could combine it with the points idea

That's a good point. Something else we should consider is what the opposing manager expects the others tactics to be. I remember Anto going for a 3-2-3-2 and his argument was it was so unexpected for the other side that he'd be two up by half time.

So we could create a template of anticipated line-up, formation and tactics (possession or direct) and any man marking jobs. So a manager would post his own and the anticipated set-up for the other team. Should make the draft threads more interesting.

Well, that just seems like a lot of work for not much, IMO, particularly if the opponent goes for a different setup, which happens quite often. I feel like the current method of write-ups is similar to how coaches set up their teams in real life, which I want to maintain so as to not take away from the exciting draft experience.

I think it's better that we discuss this in the Next Draft Ideas/Discussion thread rather than here.

What we could do is to make a brief description of what the manager expects the opponent to do mandatory. This could be useful for voters (and thread discussions). If the opponent opts for something the manager clearly did not anticipate, that would normally count against him (unless the unexpected move is a bad one, of course).

Many managers do this in practice (saying a few words about how they expect the other team to go about their business), but making it mandatory would make it more conspicuous - more like a feature the voters get used to looking at, and taking into account.

What we could do is to make a brief description of what the manager expects the opponent to do mandatory.

That's what I'm thinking. Formation just written:

--------MVB-------
Gento--Platini--Messi
etc.

Plus possession or counter attack plus Park to man mark Pirlo.

That would be it.

Ok guys so the next draft is waiting in the wings for us junkies who keep on getting knocked out in round one!

Let me know what you all think...have run it passed a couple of you already. Can see that this would work very well for 32 teams....

Serie A vs La Liga Head-to-Head Draft

Players who are eligible: Only players who have played in one of these leagues but not both are eligible.

Format: Snake draft. 16 managers split into two pots (8 managers will select players from Serie A, 8 will select from La Liga). If it’s possible to find 32 players then this can split into two groups of 16 just as easily, although there are a few reservations on having 32 teams...

Restrictions:
1. Only players born after 1st January 1960 will be eligible

2. Players who have never played in Serie A, nor La Liga will obviously be blocked

3. Players to have played in both leagues will be blocked

4. Each team must have a minimum of four nationalities represented in their starting XI. If a player has played for more than one national team, you must select one and state which nationality when producing your write ups

5. Three additional players from both leagues will be blocked before the start of the draft. It will be for the managers from the opposite league to decide which three players to be blocked. Once agreed, these players will be blocked for the duration of the draft.

6. If an ineligible player is selected you are stuck with him. If a second ineligible player is selected, you will be given a sheep.

Drafting sequence: First the teams will be randomly drawn to determine which league they will represent (odd numbers will represent Serie A, even numbers will represent La Liga).

A second random draw will then be made to determine the order for each relevant snake (of 8 teams), down from 1st to 8th, then back up to the 1st and down again and so on.

General Draft Rules:
G1 - All matches will be for 24 hrs
G2 -You have 8 hours to post your draft pick and update the list. If you do not do so, the draft proceeds to the next manager in line and it is up to you to post your draft pick at your earliest convenience.
G3 -Once you have posted your draft pick you can't change it and you have to PM the manager next in line to inform him/her that it is his/her turn. There areNOexceptions to this rule, please honour it, even if you feck up.
G4 - Managers may delegate an Assistant Manager to assist them, as long as it doesn't cause continuous waiting while "discussing" picks. If delays continue, you'll be stripped of your AM. AM's can post the pick for the manager, and that pick will also be final. So be sure before posting.
G5 - When posting your draft pick, please post a picture of the player. You can also briefly explain why you picked this player. This will help keep discussions going as well as outside interest.
G6 - Voting is based on career peak, not current form.
G7 - Reinforcement pool will be all eliminated teams. Not round specific.

Squad size:
12 players before the first match, then 14 for the quarterfinals, 16 for the semifinals and 17 for the final

Matchday:

As the draft name suggests, this is a battle of the leagues. Teams from each league will be randomly drawn against a team from the other league. At the ¼ final stage, the remaining 8 teams will be randomly drawn against each other (i.e. you may play against a team from the same league).

Reinforcements: after each knockout round all eliminated players go into the reinforcement pool and stay there until the final. After the first round and the quarterfinals, each manager gets to pick 2 players in a snake format with the draft order reversed from the previous round. After the semi-final, the two finalists can only pick one player as a reinforcement.

Playing Managers
1. Šjor Bepo
2. green_smiley
3. MJJ
4. Marty1968
5. VivaJanuzaj
6. Skizzo
7. Mazhar13
8. Tuppet
9. Invictus
10. Aldo
11. Enigma_87
12. CrappyCraperson
13. Gio
14. Pat_Mustard
15. Balu
16. Red_Tiger

There are also the following who could easily make another 16 players and so we’d have a 32 team draft (16 for each league).
Skizzo, Chesterlestreet, KM, EAP, Cutch, Joga Bonito, diarm, Theon, harms, Stobzilla, Physiocrat, Cal? Bleezy, BBRBB, The Stain, Kazi, Montpelier, MDFC Manager (plus three newbies who I understand are on their way…. Downcast, M Bison and KirkDuyt)

Apologies if i've missed anyone else off the list...can be added no problem

That sounds crazy. If @Joga Bonito is up for it, I'd give him my spot and ask him nicely if I can be his assistant :).

Assistant CV:

- Awesome at strategy.
- Awesomelicious at balancing a team.
- Fluked a win once.

Would prefer to join someone awesome at argumentatating-skills. Send your offers wherever and i'll consider. Thank you, good gentlemen.

Ah, man. Couldn't ask for better slav.. i mean, managerrs to join up with. MJJ is clearly a nice fellar and we go way back, or something. I just feel you'd push Henry and Vieira on me and we can't have that. Sowwy @MJJ

@Aldo was my shoulder to lean on when i won that once and he loves Xavi as much as i do so i gladly accept your approach.

Ah, man. Couldn't ask for better slav.. i mean, managerrs to join up with. MJJ is clearly a nice fellar and we go way back, or something. I just feel you'd push Henry and Vieira on me and we can't have that. Sowwy @MJJ

@Aldo was my shoulder to lean on when i won that once and he loves Xavi as much as i do so i gladly accept your approach.

:O

@Marty1968

You may want to specify precisely what counts here in terms of having played in both leagues. I can think of several players who may or may not qualify depending on specifics:

Having been registered at Club X.

Having been at Club X as a registered youth player (played for the B team, say, in the case of certain Spanish sides).

Having played X matches for Club X.

Having been on the books for Club X for a full season.

Having played/been on the books for a lower division team.

Managers may delegate an Assistant Manager to assist them, as long as it doesn't cause continuous waiting while "discussing" picks. If delays continue, you'll be stripped of your AM. AM's can post the pick for the manager, and that pick will also be final. So be sure before posting.

So many AMs, the potential for meltdowns :lol:

@Marty1968

You may want to specify precisely what counts here in terms of having played in both leagues. I can think of several players who may or may not qualify depending on specifics:

Having been registered at Club X.

Having been at Club X as a registered youth player (played for the B team, say, in the case of certain Spanish sides).

Having played X matches for Club X.

Having been on the books for Club X for a full season.

Having played/been on the books for a lower division team.

I think it should be top division only. If someone played for a Serie D team and went on to be a La Liga great then he's allowed.

If players made a single competitive league appearance (whether on loan or signed for that team) in both leagues they are blocked.

Excited for this. Now i want to know which league we get..

If players made a single competitive league appearance (whether on loan or signed for that team) in both leagues they are blocked.

That should be the criterion, then: A single, top level league match - regardless of circumstances (loan, regular).

That should also mean that if a player was registered at Club X, but never actually played in a top level league match, he is eligible.

That should be the criterion, then: A single, top level league match - regardless of circumstances (loan, regular).

That should also mean that if a player was registered at Club X, but never actually played in a top level league match, he is eligible.
Yeah Absolutely. If they never played a competitive game in the first team then they are eligible. If they did....tough ti**ies! Bad news for this chap who had a loan spell at Real Zaragoza....

Frank_Rijkaard_476216a-144x217.jpg

im also looking for a better half, the only criteria AM needs to fulfill is that he rates Danny Welbeck.

im also looking for a better half, the only criteria AM needs to fulfill is that he rates Danny Welbeck.
Me, although I dont rate him very highly, which seems to be your case