Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

How about No Pace's draft idea? His cut off his 1995. So let's say typically players reach their prime by the age of 27 so that would mean putting a birthdate of on or after 1968, or we just go with form of the player post 1995. I prefer the birth route as we don't get the annoyance of some people treating players on their reputation pre-95 for their post 95 form.

@NoPace How does that sound?
Totally agree with this.

It can get a bit loose if you end up having to rate players whose peak spanned the late 90s and early 00s. Might be easier just having a date of birth cut-off alone (eg 1 Jan 1970 on)

Totally agree with this.

It can get a bit loose if you end up having to rate players whose peak spanned the late 90s and early 00s. Might be easier just having a date of birth cut-off alone (eg 1 Jan 1970 on)

How about this -

Any player born on or after 1973. Career peak.

One player per country in the starting XI.

Messi, R9 (as it would be peak R9) and CR7 banned.

@NoPace @Šjor Bepo

Last edited:
How about this -

Any player born on or after 1973. Career peak.

One player per country in the starting XI.

Messi, R9 (as it would be peak R9) and CR7 banned.

@NoPace @Šjor Bepo

I think we could get pretty wild with restrictions if anyone has a creative idea because depth should be really strong with everyone knowing lots of modern players.

I think we could get pretty wild with restrictions if anyone has a creative idea because depth should be really strong with everyone knowing lots of modern players.

Do you not think one player per country would mix it up enough?

Do you not think one player per country would mix it up enough?

I'll defer to more experienced draftees like yourself, just think we can get crazy with restrictions if we want, though a 21st century canon (minus Messi) makes sense to do too.

But in general, I'm a bit exhausted with say Modric vs Iniesta debates and prefer to argue about things like Khedira vs Carrick or whatever.

Anyone any ideas for additional restrictions? One that could work is one player per club. So Scholes would use just Utd but CR7 (if not blocked entirely) would use up Sporting, Utd, Real, Juve and that Saudi side. This could get rather tough given how often players have played for multiple big clubs these days.

Anyone any ideas for additional restrictions? One that could work is one player per club. So Scholes would use just Utd but CR7 (if not blocked entirely) would use up Sporting, Utd, Real, Juve and that Saudi side. This could get rather tough given how often players have played for multiple big clubs these days.

we can pick club version of someone....so you pick Inter Ronaldo and he blocks just Brazil and Inter not all the clubs he played in.

we can pick club version of someone....so you pick Inter Ronaldo and he blocks just Brazil and Inter not all the clubs he played in.

That would be much less crazy. That said, how good are voters at distinguishing versions of players at different clubs? For instance, I would be surprised if the Spurs Modric was rated much lower than the Real Modric.

R9 is an easy one to deal with as the versions of him are quite distinct which isn't true with that many other players.

Any other thoughts on the millennium draft? @NoPace What do you think about banning current players? If we like that idea, the easiest thing to do is to ban players born after certain date.

I like the idea that each player blocks one club and one country. It makes it hard but not crazy. Then we have the quota of one club and one country in the starting XI.

Any other thoughts on the millennium draft? @NoPace What do you think about banning current players? If we like that idea, the easiest thing to do is to ban players born after certain date.

I like the idea that each player blocks one club and one country. It makes it hard but not crazy. Then we have the quota of one club and one country in the starting XI.

let your balls drop, decide and fire up the thread

How about a Euros draft? Hasn't been done in a long time and it's the right moment.

How about a Euros draft? Hasn't been done in a long time and it's the right moment.

id be down but we should really play nopace draft first, poor guy trying for years to play a "modern" draft and we always choose something else

Is there much interest in modern drafts? Plenty of modern players would be available for a Euros draft too.

Will post it shortly.

I know the number of voters have suffered since this forum got hidden away, but the voting numbers have gotten progressively worse (albeit i haven't drafted for a while so could be just the theme maybe?).

Although the nature of it all does give you burnout and previous draft regulars have seemed to given up totally on the forum (i hold my hand up and admit I've been guilty of it too), props to drafters like Sjor, Enigma, EAP, Gio who are still going strong after all these years.

I think at minimum it should be mandatory for the the draft participants to vote at least? Does anyone else have other ideas to improve numbers?

I know the number of voters have suffered since this forum got hidden away, but the voting numbers have gotten progressively worse (albeit i haven't drafted for a while so could be just the theme maybe?).

Although the nature of it all does give you burnout and previous draft regulars have seemed to given up totally on the forum (i hold my hand up and admit I've been guilty of it too), props to drafters like Sjor, Enigma, EAP, Gio who are still going strong after all these years.

I think at minimum it should be mandatory for the the draft participants to vote at least? Does anyone else have other ideas to improve numbers?

tbf i never thought low votes is a bad thing, in fact i see it as a positive as its less likely you would get "casual" votes that are maybe not familiar with the game or the draft theme etc.

would it be possible to get 32 players for a free all time draft?

It's highly unlikely you will be able to get 32 we struggle to get 16 these days. I agree with Physio that if you want to try it it's best to start the thread now and give enough time to recruit.

It's highly unlikely you will be able to get 32 we struggle to get 16 these days. I agree with Physio that if you want to try it it's best to start the thread now and give enough time to recruit.

thought of maybe get up to 15 here and then open the thread as im aware the chances of getting 32 are next to nothing

Biggest All-time no restriction draft:

1. Sjor
2. Physio
3. Michaelf7777777
4. EAP
5. Prolifik
6. Enigma
7. zlatan
8. beam
9. skizzo

Last edited: