New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 942 55.9%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 742 44.1%

• Total voters
The SoFi stadium looked amazing. A 100,000 seater stadium in the vein of the SoFi would be insane. Let's do it.

MUTV were ranting and raving about it.
It costs between 5-6 million dollars though.
I don't think £2 billion will do it. Probably will be closer to £3 billion.

I hope we keep the ramps on side of the pitch. Make them much steeper.

Cupholders on each seat are a must.

Cost of building in Los Angeles Vs Manchester though?

I tried to factor that it by saying £3 billion, instead of £3.9 - 4.7 b. Although Sofi is only 70k capacity and was built before Covid price increases.

All guesswork without finalised designs though. And I guess we are saving a few hundred million by not having to buy the land.

Quite a lot of work going on under the SAF stand, even at 8 this morning. Also big piles of seating fenced off, probably the seating taken out to make the safe standing area? I was also at the ground on Thursday when the new blue kit launched. If ever you needed confirmation that we are the world’s biggest club just go and look at the number of people buying new shirts on release day. Mental.

You've not been to the Bernabeu have you?

I'll bring up something I mentioned in the thread last year, the old stadium could be retained as a Campus/University/Academy dedicated to sports, media, hospitality, building maintenance etc that both service the club and new stadium. It would be so impressive to use the clubs name and history for something positive, It would be great for the local area and justify keeping the building without encroaching financially on the new stadium. There is also the option to keep the north stand as a hotel and musuem, the views are great.

If it is benefit to the fans and players = the club. To serve the fans. Whos coming and experience the matches. It is all about the positive and negative. What gain most.

But this is not my expertise. Stadium building. But the focus shall always be. Football like others business. Is a service relate thing. You serve something to the audience. With what the owner are capable of course.

The top service + What the owner are capable of

Yay let’s replace one of the worlds most iconic & unique stadiums with just another soulless 100k seater bowl. How wonderful. Truly baffles me how so many people are in favour of this.

Old Trafford is one of the most magical things about this club. It’s iconic. Just like Anfield, Bernabau, Nou Camp, San Siro etc etc These stadiums are full of rich history & culture. They represent the club. They’re part of what makes these clubs special.

All these modern day stadiums, Emirates, Wembley, Spurs Stadium, Etihad etc may look nice and have great facilities but they’ll never compare with the historical stadiums. They’ll never have that romance.

The day United leave Old Trafford will be a sad day indeed. Part of the club will die.

You do realise how nonsensical this post is right?

In 1910 when Old Trafford was built it was a) a soulless bowl and b) had no history.

It takes years of memories to build up but it's not intrinsic to the building, it's to the club.

Give it 20/30 years in the new stadium with new memories and hopefully many more trophies and we'll feel exactly the same about it.

Plus the fact that Old Trafford and all of the other old grounds you mention have all been completely rebuilt since they were first built so the memories of watching the Busby Babes for instance are in a completely different stadium (well, 95% as I think maybe some elements at the bottom of the lower tier are older than the 60's, maybe not).

It's not like we're completely upping sticks either - like we did when we left North Road for Bank Street and when we left Bank Street for Old Trafford. We're still gonna be in the same postcode, on the same land. All the other elements such as the pubs, the takeaways. the buses. the trams, the car parks, etc that you use going to the game will be the exact same.

If we never moved because of things rich in history and culture we'd still be living in caves. We need to move on. The only way you get what you want is if we don't do anything at all to the ground as it is right now. If we knocked down a stand and rebuilt it in the same spot it'd be new, if we knocked down all four sides and rebuilt in the same spot it'd be a whole new stadium...and we're not gonna do that because of the railway line.

Cost of building in Los Angeles Vs Manchester though?
It's actually cheaper to build in LA than it is in Manchester according to published pricing data.

Manchester is the 12th most expensive city in the world for construction projects currently.

Six years? So if they start next year it'll be ready for the 31/32 season? I'll be 50 ffs, assuming I make it.

Will we be able to keep playing at OT like Spurs did?

But Spurs didn't play at Old Trafford when their new stadium was being built.

:confused:

Won't be much different unless we're paying workers a quid an hour and steel prices have dramatically dropped. Suppose we're lucky not having to buy land.

It's possible the might have to. I don't see how a 100k seater stadium fits on the land the club own while the team continue to play at OT.

Temp-bans for any poster using the word 'soulless', anyone? Sick of seeing in in this thread already!

All buidings are soulless until they're not anymore. It's the people who change that. The reason the Etihad is soulless is because of what goes on there and who sits in those seats, not because of the structure.

Why can't we? We just spent 50 million on an 18 year old.

A loan of this sort can be upwards of 25-30 years long. The stadium/infrastructure built around and in tandem with it will generate additional revenue, especially through naming rights.

Yoro's cost has been spread over multiple years. We'd be spending more than that annually just to cover the interest on a loan of this size. If United are seriously considering a £2bn rebuild, I'd bet that Ineos/SJR will be covering some of that themselves, perhaps in exchange for more equity, hopefully thereby hastening the Glazers' exit.

The soulless bowl talk doesn't real make sense when you think about it. Manchester United have fans who can only dream of getting their hands on a ticket. The building doesn't make the atmosphere, people do. Give any of those soulless bowl we like to talk about to any club the size of United, Madrid or Barcelona, and the conversation will instead be about it's amazing size, atmosphere, and experience.

good news and a bit of a no brainer in my opinion. Simply being able to continue using OT over the 5-6 years of development will a huge advantage in terms of revenue. It will be good to see that car park/prefab area getting utilised to provide a better all round experience for visitors and jobs and facilities for the locals. Hopefully Trafford Council will have the vision to see what this can do for the area and their own coffers.

The soulless bowl talk doesn't real make sense when you think about it. Manchester United have fans who can only dream of getting their hands on a ticket. The building doesn't make the atmosphere, people do. Give any of those soulless bowl we like to talk about to any club the size of United, Madrid or Barcelona, and the conversation will instead be about it's amazing size, atmosphere, and experience.

Doubly so when you look at how the Nou Camp is pretty much an actual bowl in shape. Unless you have four separate stands you always end up with a bowl of some description.

And Old Trafford in 1910....yup, a bowl...

OldTrafford_crop_north.jpg

The Lucas Oil Stadium in the US is something that I'd be happy with if we were to go down that road. Something state of the art modern inside, but industrial looking on the outside. I think if we are going to get a new stadium, they're going to have to make it something that the fans will accept.
LOS_1_1e2e4632-d225-47a6-b8d2-885e64229198.jpg

lucas16_top.jpg

I like this.

Old Trafford was the original...archetypal 'soulless' stadium in 1910. But it was also the best and most modern stadium in the world.

With all these worries about a new stadium being too similar to other new bowls or soulless etc...Perhaps it would be cool for the club to crowd source some ideas from the fans for elements to incorporate into a new design.

Doubly so when you look at how the Nou Camp is pretty much an actual bowl in shape. Unless you have four separate stands you always end up with a bowl of some description.

And Old Trafford in 1910....yup, a bowl...

OldTrafford_crop_north.jpg

one advantage of this design is that there would be no worries about a leaky roof (on 3 sides at least)

I still have two major concerns.

The inevitable price hikes are going to be so depressing. What good is a new stadium if even more people are going to be outpriced? I am yet to see a commitment from anyone on the task force about pricing which is funny given most of these were probably giving it the "football is nothing without fans" message during covid and the super league debacle.

There also the logistical issues of getting 100k people in and out of the stadium. I think capacity will end up being capped at around 85,000 but if it was 100,000, a lot of work will need doing. If Manchester/Trafford can eventually manage 100,000 people going to and from OT seamlessly every other week in addition to everything else going on in town, there's no reason why it shouldn't be in contention for events like the Olympics going forward.

Old Trafford was the original...archetypal 'soulless' stadium in 1910. But it was also the best and most modern stadium in the world.

Let's not forget the archetypal 'soulless' bowl it was when the Stretford End was redeveloped in 1993/4 too.

oldtraffordpast7.jpg

When the Taylor report came out and it sparked a huge rebuild phase for British stadiums - OT was the template for all of the grounds that came after that were universally panned as soulless bowls such as Derby, Middlesbrough, Leicester, Southampton, Sunderland, etc.

The same way every other stadium has been funded.

6 years is seemingly in line with other renovations I think?
Which is what? , debt put onto the club I assume?

I'm all for the new stadium, I just worry about the clubs finances and ability to compete in the transfer market, while that debt is paid.
Specifically I wonder how the new PSR rules apply to stadium builds .

I'm not sure how many people appreciate that the South Stand, the thing everyone thinks of when they talk about the stadium having soul, was designed by Archibald Leitch (and even that has been rebuilt). That same guy designed very similar stands for Anfield, Highbury, Celtic Park, Ibrox, even my local club at Stark's Park (and arguably the stand with the most character out of them all). In fact just looking at the list of stadiums in Britain that he designed you'd think he was just copying and pasting some of them.

By all means keep the stand intact, make it into a museum and turn the seating space into a more practical gathering area for fans when they first come into the park with levelled benches and table space. But short of lifting the whole stadium and moving it we're always going to have a railway line limiting how we can expand the place further.

We should design it like the coliseum. Then we can batter the feck out of opponents and have Sur Jim give the thumb up or down for mercy

I just want fans as close to the pitch as possible. My only request.

Hate watching football in these stadiums where players have to run a mile to even get close to supporters after a goal. Would rather have a bit smaller attendence if the setup is tight knitted and creates a buzzing atmosphere instead of some mega stadium that's enormous and you need binoculars to see the match from the cheaper seats.

Yeah, probably true with my current health issues.
Ah mate terribly sorry to hear that. Sincere apologies for the crass joke.

I really hope that you get better and in six years time you meet Pidgy in the new OT and knock him out with a right hook. I'll be rooting for you.

Best, dn

MUTV were ranting and raving about it.
It costs between 5-6 million dollars though.
I don't think £2 billion will do it. Probably will be closer to £3 billion.
James Ducker's article in the telegraph said the SoFi stadium alone cost £2.3 billion, the rest of the park brought the total up to the £4.5 billion. So, £2-2.5 billion sounds about right, given the 100k capacity. But then you have the intuit dome costing 2 billion dollars with only 18k capacity.

I just hope it doesn't look like the Bernabeu, for all the praise it gets for me it's easily the ugliest looking modern stadium, non-symmetrical toilet bowl. Everton's new stadium has a nice look, a good mix of old and modern elements.

I want asymmetrical stands. Big jutting out parts, overhanging tiers, VIP windows scattered around. Make each stand look like the front of a different Lamborghini if the designer had just hoovered up a couple of lines of Ket. Anything other than the same bowl you get with every other stadium. I know it's not efficient though so it won't happen.

But it's always annoying to see these new external designs and think "ooh that looks cool" and then inside, boom, bowl.

Ah mate terribly sorry to hear that. Sincere apologies for the crass joke.

I really hope that you get better and in six years time you meet Pidgy in the new OT and knock him out with a right hook. I'll be rooting for you.

Best, dn
I only get down once or twice a season so he'll be lucky even finding me.