New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 940 56.0%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 740 44.0%

• Total voters
Would much sooner see old trafford redeveloped. People say its only a stadium but i think preserving culture and history is important. Real Madrid kept the Bernebeu and made it world class, achieving the best of both worlds, and we should follow suit. 400m of their project was on a retractable roof which we could live without.

Would much sooner see old trafford redeveloped. People say its only a stadium but i think preserving culture and history is important. Real Madrid kept the Bernebeu and made it world class, achieving the best of both worlds, and we should follow suit. 400m of their project was on a retractable roof which we could live without.

I might be wrong, but the Bernebeu hasn't been left to rot over the years nearly as bad as OT, thus making it easier. Revamping OT is a ridiculous task now, you basically have to build it from the ground up again.

We can't live in the past anymore!!!

100% a new stadium.

WHY?
Our Stadium isn't involved for the Euros 2028.
That is so embarrassing.....that should have been the walk-up call....Old Trafford is a old stadium.

And we can't play in any other stadium like Barca or Tottenham (Real Madrid were lucky with the corona situation).

A wall like Dortmund in the stadium is a "must have" in my opinion.

I don't care about concerts or NFL but you can make a lot of money with that.

To keep a "smaller" Old Trafford for the womens team and youth teams would be nice too.
Therefore the soul of the stadium would still be there.

The power of Manchester United Football Club must come back to the football world.....and such a new stadium would be a massive help!!!

New world class 100k seater stadium.
I'm all for it!
One question, how would this be funded?

87890093-13683065-image-a-40_1722238581486.jpg

The retractable roof was more of investment for big events than just football. It is then they make more money.

WHY?
Our Stadium isn't involved for the Euros 2028.
That is so embarrassing.....that should have been the walk-up call....Old Trafford is a old stadium.

As far as I am aware the only reason for that is because United couldn't guarantee the stadium wouldn't be a building site in 2028.

The idea the stadium is that bad it can't host international football is a bit silly.

It's a great help if we are able to play at Old Trafford up until the new stadium is built, as it will mean no loss of matchday revenue

Old Trafford would definitely be knocked down. Personally I’m not against naming rights if it means we can fund it without hampering the squad.
Put a new training facility or football campus on the old spot. Bring kids in from the local area and have them playing on the same place that the legends they and their parents use to watch once did. Keep the South Stand, hollow it out, and turn it into a new museum overlooking the training pitches. Maintain the Munich tunnel as well, definitely.

Send the message that we're moving forward as a club but not forgetting where we've come from.

As far as I am aware the only reason for that is because United couldn't guarantee the stadium wouldn't be a building site in 2028.

The idea the stadium is that bad it can't host international football is a bit silly.

I thought this was the reason as well. OT would obviously be a host stadium normally.

I might be wrong, but the Bernebeu hasn't been left to rot over the years nearly as bad as OT, thus making it easier. Revamping OT is a ridiculous task now, you basically have to build it from the ground up again.

I don't know, I'd still sooner see what the budget is, see what the best possible things that can be done to Old Trafford for that price are, and then do it. A lot was made of the rain coming in the stadium this season, but nobody said a thing when the same thing happened in Germany's refurbished stadium at the euros. As far as I can see, huge amounts of Old Trafford's decline is in more aesthetic things like the concourses, and around the ground itself. The capacity is good.

Once a piece of history is gone, it's gone. This is a stadium that survived bombing, and where Busby Babes played. Does everything in modern football have to simply be about where the next bit of money can come from. Get a venue big enough to host fecking Coldplay in the summer for some extra cash. The 300m or so ivestment promised would go a huge way to modernising the stadium without having to sell off one of the more tangible links to the history of the club.

Looking forward to it a new stadium for sure.
Renovate the existing one to a smaller field like 25000 - 30000 seats for the women and youth team. Always have a dream that there is a bridge connects the new stadium and the old one. Feel it is kinda like a nice message for young player that one day you can cross the bridge if you play well in the youth and go onto the bigger stage across.
Renovate the old museum to make it bigger and nicer is much needed as well. Also, possibly the field can be reserved for other non-football but outdoor events when there is no match to generate revenues.
By the way, is it possible we can make the South stand be a train station and named it as Trafford / Old Trafford Station; have the train service during match days?

Last edited:
I really don't see the problem with a new stadium, there was a time when Old Trafford was brand new, what if club didn't build it because fans wanted to preserve the 'history and culture' and stay at Bank Street? It's nonsense, the stadium currently is an embarrassment and an afront to the history and culture of the club. We can't live in the past, we can respect our traditions and preserve our culture whilst still looking to the future and building a new stadium.

As long as the design is distinctive and well thought-out with the people in mind, you can recreate an aura and even add to it.

The soulless, capitalist thing to do is to copy paste from popular designs and ensure everyone in the clique makes the most the fastest. Let's hope they won't go down this path.

It seems a new ground was always going to be the realistic option. We need to move on to keep up with the elite really.. As long as they do it right and not a replica of the emirates etc

I would love it if they kept Old Trafford as it is in some form though. Keep it as an historical landmark for the area. Even if they downscaled it so it only has the bottom tier (like in the early 90s) and kept it for the academy/Charity/ women's games, contained the museum (similar to barca having their museum in the adjacent building to Camp Nou). Would be a shame if it was bulldozed or ended up like Highbury

It seems a new ground was always going to be the realistic option. We need to move on to keep up with the elite really.. As long as they do it right and not a replica of the emirates etc

I would love it if they kept Old Trafford as it is in some form though. Keep it as an historical landmark for the area. Even if they downscaled it so it only has the bottom tier (like in the early 90s) and kept it for the academy/Charity/ women's games, contained the museum (similar to barca having their museum in the adjacent building to Camp Nou). Would be a shame if it was bulldozed or ended up like Highbury
What Spurs have done is very much the way to go rather than Arsenal.

I'd be surprised if it came in at 2bn for something that size.
All for it though.

At some point, we would have to build a new stadium. Re-developing papers over the cracks and there are just too many cracks.

I don’t think they had a realistic choice and they’re not abandoning history, just creating a better future for the club and OT will always be part of the club.

Ok, not sure what your point is though.

I'm talking about the new stadium needing a new name.

I think we'd all prefer to stay at Old Trafford and have it redeveloped but stadiums built in 1910 aren't going to last forever.

I will embrace whatever the decision may be.

Naming rights will be sold, that's inevitable. 'Nou Camp powered by Microsoft' isn't that what Barca did?

To be fair it wasn't built in 1910. Only the old tunnel remains from then. The majority of the current stadium was built between the 70's-90's.

Sounds exciting. Old Trafford should be converted into a mini-stadium for the women’s and youth teams.

If they are building a new stadium it can't be called Old Trafford as you would hope Old Trafford is kept and redeveloped in some form. Even if OT is demolished if you build a new stadium it shouldn't be called Old Trafford just give it a new name. We might as well just sell the naming rights to it and drop the Old Trafford name all together if we're all about abandoning history and building something new.
What if they name it Old Trafford and the existing stadium becomes Really Old Trafford?

Unless they bridge the river which seems unlikely we aren't building a new 100,000 seater stadium on the land the club own without demolishing OT. Even with demolishing OT it's not certain there'd be enough room for the footprint of a 100k stadium.

I'm not against either option (although a bland soulless glass bowl would be sh*t), but preserving culture and history doesn't mean we have to stay at old Trafford. There's ways to honour our history and still move.

After all, the old Trafford we see now is a lot different from the old Trafford that was originally built. It's like Rodney's broom.