New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 940 56.0%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 740 44.0%

• Total voters
I don’t understand why we’re so precious about the naming rights.

Any stadium renovation or rebuild is going to cost a fortune and we’re up to our eyes in debt as it is. We all know that Madrid / Barca / Bayern sold naming rights to partly fund their new stadium or took out other deals to help fund it - we need to do the same.

It wont make the day out / football experience any different if I see a sponsor here or there

Last edited:
Hi to all the genuine Reds on this forum, This is my first post after spending a long time browsing this forum. I am a 65 year old Mancunian whos getting frustrated and embarrassed with a United supporters forum not even knowing where the ground is and why its called Old Trafford.
Manchester United's Football ground is located in Trafford Park, which is in an area called Old Trafford, this is in Greater Manchester. Old Trafford football ground is 2.6 miles from the Town Hall in Manchester city centre.
The grounds name comes from the area its located in, not because its an Old building! Stop with this ridiculous new Trafford etc, I really do wonder if some on here actually support United. Please educate yourself on the club you profess to support.

I don’t understand why we’re so precious about the naming rights.

Any stadium renovation or rebuild is going to cost a fortune and we’re up to our eyes in Sept as is. We all know that Madrid / Barca / Bayern have naming rights or took our deals to help fund theirs - we need to do the same.

wont make the day out / football experience any different if I see a sponsor here or there

Thanks for this. Also note that naming rights aren't sold forever. These deals typically last 10-15 years.

Maybe they could get Thomas Zilliacus involved somehow, after his bid failed he said he would be happy to help out if the club needed anything in the future.

Hi to all the genuine Reds on this forum, This is my first post after spending a long time browsing this forum. I am a 65 year old Mancunian whos getting frustrated and embarrassed with a United supporters forum not even knowing where the ground is and why its called Old Trafford.
Manchester United's Football ground is located in Trafford Park, which is in an area called Old Trafford, this is in Greater Manchester. Old Trafford football ground is 2.6 miles from the Town Hall in Manchester city centre.
The grounds name comes from the area its located in, not because its an Old building! Stop with this ridiculous new Trafford etc, I really do wonder if some on here actually support United. Please educate yourself on the club you profess to support.

New Old Trafford it is then!

I was mulling over it yesterday... best/most apt I could come up with was Old Trafford - Build Your Dreams

Just need to stop having mares

Stop being so patronising.

Part of what made United so successful are the fans that live outside the area and outside the country. You can't expect people to know every detail!

Welcome to the caf! Since you've been a longtime lurker you know what to expect on matchdays. The melts are in top form and wonder, like me, how we keep scraping results out of matches we've deserved to lose over the last few seasons.

As for the Old Trafford v New Trafford, most if not every poster here is having fun and not seriously suggesting whatever the new stadium is to be called should be called New Trafford. It's called jest. Jest is an important part of life, whether online or in corporeal form.

Trafford Stadium. No need for "New". Add a sponsor in front of it to help pay it off. £1b for 20 years is about the going rate. Pays off about half, Jim can pay £500m for some more shares and the rest can be paid off by the extra 20k or so fans on matchdays. Sorted. Lord Coe can chip in too.

Stop being so patronising.

Part of what made United so successful are the fans that live outside the area and outside the country. You can't expect people to know every detail!

Not arsed about the success.

It's sad that a club which already makes an insane amount of money in revenue has to sell a little more of its soul due to keep up and the only alternative to this shite is selling the club (and its remaining dignity) to a state.

People need to release that is not the same stadium built in 1910, it’s not the stadium I first visited in 1992. It has constantly been renovated and done up etc but what has always stayed the same is where it is.

going to the theatre is not just about the stadium its walking down busby way or seeing it across the canal, moving the stadium even if its side by side will take a lot of the essence away. It is very very possible to turn our current ground into the biggest and best ground in the country again without moving it.

Stand by stand it can be done up and I’m sure season tickets wouldn’t mind temporarily being moved for the greater good.

ps if old Trafford was to get knocked down for a new stadium or a new stadium built beside it for safety we would need a temporary ground. We aren’t like spurs in London we can’t use Wembley. We would have to share city’s ground which is unthinkable.

Playing home games at The Etihad probably isnt an option as its capacity is way too low, we could probably fit all our season ticket holders in there but there would be very few if any tickets available for members.

I really don't think some people understand how much work is actually needed at United and what it will cost to get us back to where we were.

If renaming our stadium for the next 20 years will help make us competetive again and ensure we get a state of the art facilities then thats a very small price to pay, we should be grateful.

Clinging on to the "Old Trafford" name because of the memories while everyone around you is making new/better memories doesnt sound fun.

Last edited:
I really don't think some people understand how much work is actually needed at United and what it will cost to get us back to where we were.

If renaming our stadium for the next 20 years will help make us competetive again and ensure we get a state of the art facilities then thats a very small price to pay, we should be grateful.

Clinging on to "Old Trafford" name because of the memories while everyone around you is making new/better memories doesnt sound fun.

The club could make a billion pounds a day from naming rights and we still might not be competitive.

We've routinely made an insane amount of money from sponsorships since 2013. It's just been wasted on shite, overpriced mercenaries.

If we are going down the naming rights route, I'd like to see a commitment to being more sensible in the transfer market and keeping ticket prices remaining at a reasonable level.

Clinging on to the "Old Trafford" name because of the memories while everyone around you is making new/better memories doesnt sound fun.
It will happen, we'll have to suck it up, but why should we be grateful?
The only reason it has to be done is because of the Glazers spending obscene amounts of money on debt and legal and professional fees over the last 19 years. Any competent owner would have continued with the incremental improvements and maintenance needed to keep it as a world-class stadium. But not these clowns. And they even have the brass neck to ask for UK tax-payer money to fix it!

Playing home games at The Etihad probably isnt an option as its capacity is way too low, we could probably fit all our season ticket holders in there but there would be very few if any tickets available for members.

I mean it holds 53,000. Yes, that might not even quite cover the season ticket holders but for a temporary accommodation its not bad. Season ticket holders maybe have to accept some kind of 2/3 of games allocation or some may take a year off if they are given 1st pick of the new ground.

Even if renovate Old Trafford entire stands will be demolished so season ticket holder will be disrupted one way or the other.

I'm surprised it hasn't been renamed Ineos Old Trafford already.

It doesn't make sense for Ineos to do it unless they are going to massively inflate the sponsorship (like City). Given what Barcelona get for the Nou Camp from Spotify we can attract a massive deal. I could see something like Amazon Prime given they've bought some PL rights but not sure how that works given the BSkyB furore years ago.

It doesn't make sense for Ineos to do it unless they are going to massively inflate the sponsorship (like City). Given what Barcelona get for the Nou Camp from Spotify we can attract a massive deal. I could see something like Amazon Prime given they've bought some PL rights but not sure how that works given the BSkyB furore years ago.
How about just Prime Old Trafford? Sounds much better!

I mean it holds 53,000. Yes, that might not even quite cover the season ticket holders but for a temporary accommodation its not bad. Season ticket holders maybe have to accept some kind of 2/3 of games allocation or some may take a year off if they are given 1st pick of the new ground.

Even if renovate Old Trafford entire stands will be demolished so season ticket holder will be disrupted one way or the other.
Exactly. There's no alternative other local venue and some season ticket holders are going to suffer unless it's a total new build on land outwith the current ground's boundaries. The cricket ground's 50,000 as it is but I doubt they'd want it to be hashed around into a football pitch even although they manage duel sports use in Australia. It obviously depends on the lease but of course the Etihad's council owned and in the current economic climate any additional major income has to be welcomed. Of course Anfield's almost 62,000...

I was mulling over it yesterday... best/most apt I could come up with was Old Trafford - Build Your Dreams

Just need to stop having mares
I saw a fountain - where?
There in the stadium!
Where in the stadium?
Right there!
SirJim didn’t want to see
The Niagara Falls
Now we’re dry snug and warm
We line out in a stadium
(Formerly known as
Old Trafford),
Called….
… New Amsterdam!

Old Trafford is like Triggers brush. Every single part of it has been changed over the decades. As for the name change who gives a feck it’s the football we come to see. Even Barca who didn’t wear a sponsor on their shirts for longer than all other top teams, gave in for the money in the end. Utd need money, a lot of money to be successful again.

Old Trafford is like Triggers brush. Every single part of it has been changed over the decades. As for the name change who gives a feck it’s the football we come to see. Even Barca who didn’t wear a sponsor on their shirts for longer than all other top teams, gave in for the money in the end. Utd need money, a lot of money to be successful again.

The last sentence I will dispute.

United already make insane amounts of money. We just need to be more careful when spending it. Hopefully this is something that INEOS can sort.

Surely more important things to address before this?

There is a lot of stuff going on at Old Trafford that they've not announced, they've got boards, screens and skips about since the end of the month. They won't announce it though probably don't want to highlight the embarrassment it is.

There is a lot of stuff going on at Old Trafford that they've not announced, they've got boards, screens and skips about since the end of the month. They won't announce it though probably don't want to highlight the embarrassment it is.

I think Sir Jim's multiple interview quotes have already highlighted how much he despises the stadium and the condition it's in. He spoke about the waterfall etc.. He's definitely not happy.

The last sentence I will dispute.

United already make insane amounts of money. We just need to be more careful when spending it. Hopefully this is something that INEOS can sort.
Yet we made a loss last season so we are not making enough. Then there is the massive debt that should be cleared, as well as the ground. The parasites have sucked Utd dry with really poor insight.

Work on the tunnel? Oh please.

Just start building a new stadium already.