NBA 2023-2024

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Seems like the Lakers are closing in on the Dan Hurley from Connecticut to become their new HC.

Anyone following the NCAA close enough to give an opinion on him? @Carolina Red and others?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Seems like the Lakers are closing in on the Dan Hurley from Connecticut to become their new HC.

Anyone following the NCAA close enough to give an opinion on him? @Carolina Red and others?
I thought Redick was a shoe-in for the job which is also what has been reported in most media outlets recently (which actually surprised me, what with him having zero coaching experience and Lakers not being the easiest job in the league by any stretch of imagination).

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
How often have college coaches moved to the NBA and had success? Like, what's the success rate, like say 1 out of 4 actually get to a Conf Finals let alone win the whole thing?

Larry Brown comes to mind but he coached at the pro level before going to the collegiate level and winning a title with Kansas.

forevrared

I know the stepping stone was a huge one, but I cannot wrap my head around going from coaching the University of Rhode Island to the Lakers in 6 years. :lol:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I thought Redick was a shoe-in for the job which is also what has been reported in most media outlets recently (which actually surprised me, what with him having zero coaching experience and Lakers not being the easiest job in the league by any stretch of imagination).
Don't think he ever was a realistic option. Imagine having to coach a guy you have a podcast with. He has no coaching experience either. It's one thing explaining concepts and giving insight on a show, another to implement your ideas into a group of players. Much like Thierry Henry was a terrible coach but an excellent pundit, probably.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
The Mavs are one of just five teams ever to face only 50-win teams en route to the finals. The Celtics are one of only seven teams ever to face zero 50-win teams en route to the finals.

In other words...

Porzingis back for game 1.

Suedesi

How often have college coaches moved to the NBA and had success? Like, what's the success rate, like say 1 out of 4 actually get to a Conf Finals let alone win the whole thing?

Larry Brown comes to mind but he coached at the pro level before going to the collegiate level and winning a title with Kansas.
Yea not too high … but something tells me Hurley would push it through , he’s that good

ManUtd1999

The Celtics are up 21 (and should’ve been more) with Tatum scoring 8 points only. Brown with 13.

Porzingis is on fire, and the Celtics are playing great defense tonight. Defense wins championships!

Skåre Willoch

Monster game by Brown. Porzingis back gives an extra dimension the Mavs haven't really faced the entire playoffs.
Only 9 assists total for the Mavs, the lowest total in finals history. The Celtics did a great job in stopping everyone not named Luka from scoring.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Refs allowed the Celtics to play tough defense. Expect a lot more calls for the mavs in game two

Jim Beam

You can't win if no one outside of Luka shows up while everyone from the Celtics does (if Hauser scored 2 more, they would have 7 players in double digits). And yeah, Porzingis coming back right for the finals is massive.

Still, when the Celtics got into that slump at the start of the 3rd quarter it were 2 bs calls on Lively that got him in foul trouble and the game was over after that. I mean, you can call that, but considering you ain't calling a bunch of what is going all around the floor it was definitely too harsh. The Celtics probably win either way, but it is for future games. If they don't allow Lively to be overly agressive the series will be done quickly.
The Celtics are are what they are. If they are hitting those threes, it is really hard to beat them. You also open the paint for them and it is virtually impossible.

Roll on to the next one or as Luka in his moments of pure wisdom would say... "Either you lose or you win."

Last edited:

Jim Beam

Brown>Tatum
Not sure why people are raving about Tatum handles. If there is any traffic in front of him I expect TO every time he drives to the basket. Still a fantastic player, but I trust Brown more as well (it could be a case of Tatum feeling more pressure tbf).

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Porzingis will be finals MVP. Or at least he should. And I reiterate, Celtics in 5

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It has been 1 game
Oh i'm not basing celtics in 5 on that. I thought that from before. Same with Porzingis honestly. This would be a very different series without him, one the Mavs might even win. With him they just don't have any chance of hanging with Boston's 3-point barrage

ManUtd1999

Brown and Tatum combined scored 13 points. Yet, the Celtics are up 3 in the first half. And they missed many good looks from 3. If they clean this up, they’re the favorites tonight.

ManUtd1999

The Celtics insist on taking 3’s, when they really don’t need to. Just go today for the safer 2. Had they done that, this would have been +15 or more for them.

Tatum is frustrating.

EDIT: this shouldn’t even be close. Boston make terrible decisions, costing them a lot.

Last edited:

Jim Beam

Boston just has too many weapons and are such a well-rounded team. Will be a lot of talk about Tatum (actually thought he did have a good game, despite his usual frustrating moments)... and what does this means for his legacy. Is Brown the main guy and all other heavily individual talk which American media so loves to generate in another episode of "who will be the face of the league", but the bottom line is that this Boston team is just collectively superb and those 2 trades for Porzingis and Jrue is what will most likely give them a title.

Holiday now has 38 points and no turnovers through two games in this series -- the second-most points through two Finals games without a turnover since individual turnovers began being tracked in 1977-78, trailing only Michael Jordan in 1998.
That is him along with playing fantastic defense mostly on Kyrie.

Massive game 3 now.

Skåre Willoch

Why Tatum is getting so much flak after this game is beyond me.
Also, Jaylen Brown should've been on an All Defensive team.

Jrue!!

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Not a good look for us - getting the opportunity to coach the Lakers should be a privilege, not a curse. I guess we just need to ride out James' presence and can then rebuild from scratch, but it'll take some time.

Sucks even more that it looks like Boston will move 1 in front of us again and will be competitive in the near future.