NBA 2019-2020

Infestissumam

bit speechless to be honest, this is massive. This could very well reshape US sports going forward, and I'm all for it. About time, really.

Skåre Willoch

Wow. Really, really impressed by this. Hopefully it leads to change of some kind. Big, big statement by some very, very influential people.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
This event is so historic that Gianluca di Marzio are reporting this themselves.

To be fair, however, they have a bunch of American-based journalists in their team.

Zen

I don’t really get the point.... or how it’ll strike much effect, theres no fans in attendance. The worlds just gone through 4-5 months of postponed sport. We’re used to it.

Unless it leads to bigger things - I.E the whole of it just getting cancelled, but again, not reasonably sure whatd that lead too, probably a massive meltdown in loads of ways, and probably not a good thing. I dunno.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I don’t really get the point.... or how it’ll strike much effect, theres no fans in attendance. The worlds just gone through 4-5 months of postponed sport. We’re used to it.

Unless it leads to bigger things - I.E the whole of it just getting cancelled, but again, not reasonably sure whatd that lead too, probably a massive meltdown in loads of ways, and probably not a good thing. I dunno.
I think we've only just begun. The players might decide to take this further if nothing changes.

Zen

I think we've only just begun. The players might decide to take this further if nothing changes.
Yeah maybe. I think if they did a full monster thing like say the NFL fecking off the season - it'd possibly do more hard than good, certainly in the short term. Sport is a good distraction for a lot with pent up aggression, take it away from them for a long time for reason they wouldn't deem their fault.... sports fans are nuts.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah maybe. I think if they did a full monster thing like say the NFL fecking off the season - it'd possibly do more hard than good, certainly in the short term. Sport is a good distraction for a lot with pent up aggression, take it away from them for a long time for reason they wouldn't deem their fault.... sports fans are nuts.
Taking that distraction from reality away is a good thing though. It's the only power the players have, and shines an even bigger light on the social issues. I don't see how anyone can view it as anything other than a commendable act.

SirAnderson

I'm all for postponing it cause I feel the players (some) geninuely don't think it's right to be playing when something like this is happening, especially the teams from the state in which it happened.
Sadly, people will miss the entire point and see how this will benefit or hurt their respective teams chances....

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Surely the season should be canceled now.

If you're going to boycott this game and then come back in 3 days then this was pointless.

Lets see what happens now but you gotta cancel the NBA season if this is the route you want to take.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

If you're going to boycott this game and then come back in 3 days then this was pointless.

Lets see what happens now but you gotta cancel the NBA season if this is the route you want to take.
I think that's what the players will discuss with the NBA in the players' meeting this evening. Any decision that will be taken will be strongly considered beforehand.

SportingCP96

Supports
I think that's what the players will discuss with the NBA in the players' meeting this evening. Any decision that will be taken will be strongly considered beforehand.
I would bet all my chips the season gets canceled. If you are going to make this decision then you have to cancel the entire season.

Doing this for one game then coming back the next I dont think achieve anything.

Now if you cancel the season by boycotting the remaining playoffs THAT will be a huge statement.

edcunited1878

The players eventually have a job to do and that's how they get paid. So if they really feel about something, for example like Maya Moore did in the WNBA, then they quit playing, and use their resources and individual platform and actually do things such as becoming activists in their communities or domestically.

Postponing games, again these are games, doesn't bring change, just a lot of awareness. Awareness is totally fine, but it's the action of doing things as players in their communities to make change. Throwing money at the issues and not 'working' for a day isn't really going to make a difference. It's a societal, cultural, and institutional change. Not playing a basketball game for one night isn't going to change that. It's a respected move by the teams, players and league. But what does it really do in the short-term to long-term when we're talking about the need for societal, cultural, and institutional change? Not much if anything in the grand scheme of it all...because it's a game.

Zen

That doesn't paint the greatest picture behind the postponement.... seems more like some of them wanted a reason to get out of the bubble, it's probably been feeling like jail to some of them. They now have that reason it seems that "one vet" is claiming.... sportsmen are afterall, ultra selfish for the most part.

SportingCP96

Supports
The players eventually have a job to do and that's how they get paid. So if they really feel about something, for example like Maya Moore did in the WNBA, then they quit playing, and use their resources and individual platform and actually do things such as becoming activists in their communities or domestically.

Postponing games, again these are games, doesn't bring change, just a lot of awareness. Awareness is totally fine, but it's the action of doing things as players in their communities to make change. Throwing money at the issues and not 'working' for a day isn't really going to make a difference. It's a societal, cultural, and institutional change. Not playing a basketball game for one night isn't going to change that. It's a respected move by the teams, players and league. But what does it really do in the short-term to long-term when we're talking about the need for societal, cultural, and institutional change? Not much if anything in the grand scheme of it all...because it's a game.
I agree 100%.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst

It's their workplace, the players are potentially going on strike(Which far more effective and important than becoming some random activist).

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

Spoken like a person who isn’t affected one bit by what’s going on. Kudos!

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Several NBA players were involved in the initial protests after the George Floyd death. It wouldn't surprise me if players do get involved in the community if the season gets suspended again or cancelled.

edcunited1878

It's their workplace, the players are potentially going on strike(Which far more effective and important than becoming some random activist).
See Maya Moore and what she did this past year. That's action, that's what they can do. You and I don't have the resources, money, nor platform to make those changes or heavily influence it. I can only do so much and that starts with my family, friends, and local communities if I see something or come across something and voting.

edcunited1878

Several NBA players were involved in the initial protests after the George Floyd death. It wouldn't surprise me if players do get involved in the community if the season gets suspended again or cancelled.
And that's exactly what they should be doing if they can and if they really want to see change. They have the resources, money, and time, and platform. At the end of the day, the game they play helped create a platform, fame, and money for them (not really including the rookies or fringe players). But maybe it's a pathway for the NBA to not only be a sports league at the highest level, but really using their players as community influencers and working with people throughout their communities such as the police/law enforcement, prisons, education system, local businesses, local citizens, etc. on a full effort. Don't leave it up to a few superstars and putting their money about, but really working hand in hand within their team markets and local communities.

AFC NimbleThumb

George Hill has said this is why he wants to leave, so he can do more than just bring awareness.

Before going into ‘the bubble’ players were concerned about leaving communities & isolating themselves from the struggles they face.

The long term effects of cancelling the season & them returning to their cities is huge.

edcunited1878

George Hill has said this is why he wants to leave, so he can do more than just bring awareness.

Before going into ‘the bubble’ players were concerned about leaving communities & isolating themselves from the struggles they face.

The long term effects of cancelling the season & them returning to their cities is huge.
Agree with many players concerns about going into the bubble, which obviously restricted their opportunities to support their communities in person. People rally around them for sure.

You cancel the season, that just means the other half of the NBA get to go back to their communities and have the opportunity to support their communities. Every player will have the opportunity to create action and support within their communities, just whether or not they actually do it or how they go about supporting change.

It's such a crazy and unfortunate situation all around for the players and league. If it was non-Covid times, they'd be able to immediately postpone games and then players from both teams can just rock up at a local protest and do their thing and demand change or quick and decisive action from city officials.

SportingCP96

Supports
Lakers and Clippers season is officially over. They voted to boycott the season. Other teams voted to stay.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
As expected, the players will meet up again tomorrow to decide upon how they'll proceed with the playoffs.

Tomorrow's games, however, are definitely postponed.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I would bet all my chips the season gets canceled. If you are going to make this decision then you have to cancel the entire season.

Doing this for one game then coming back the next I dont think achieve anything.

Now if you cancel the season by boycotting the remaining playoffs THAT will be a huge statement.
I would not go that far.
For me, this is already a strong statement by the players, especially for a country with an ambivalent attitude towards freedom of strike. It is a far bigger message than holding a minute of silence (aka as standard bullsh***t approach in UEFA-country).

Squeaky Bumtime

That's huge and kudos to players and the NBA for doing this. I guess this means season over, if they just played the games in a few days this all would have been pointless.

Edit: just seen that Lakers and Clippers voted to end the season, rest want to continue.

Abizzz

Good on all the players involved. There's a time for entertainment and then there's a time to stand up for what's right.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Lakers and Clippers season is officially over. They voted to boycott the season. Other teams voted to stay.
Their season is not ‘officially over’, it doesn’t work like that. If they don’t make a collective decision to cancel season, they will continue to play - including those who have voted to leave.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I wonder how sustainable it is though. Not sure if they can invoke true changes in the remainder of 2020, and then what... Lockout for next season? It's all good for superstars like James and Paul who don't need basketball anymore and have a huge reach and platform to make a difference in their communities, but that doesn't count for everyone. There are sophomores, rookies, new players coming into the league and players on minimum contracts who need a new season to i) earn money to make a difference and ii) need to play to create name recognition before they have a platform to try and change things.

I think the players right now might feel "trapped" inside the bubble because they wanna be out there and be with their family and communities during these times, but I'm not sure cancelling the whole thing is the right solution. I can fully appreciate that they don't wanna provide entertainment for a country that doesn't love them back though, as Doc said.