Nasri To City - Done Deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm not sure how people can keep using that excuse anymore. They offer too high of wages but they're going to be competing for trophies now, and will end up winning a few so why wouldn't he go there?

Because he's at a bigger and better club already.

A club that he hasn't really had a shot at serious trophy with and one that isn't improving. I'd say City are more likely to win something of note than this lot.

In all of Nasris time at Arsenal, City have won more trophies.

We need to stop with this small time everyone who goes there is just money grabbing whore blah blah broken record shit. It's the case for a few players yes, but to tar every player with it just because they chose City is pathetic.

City have/are buying success. Yes.
However, they are in the Champions League, they won a trophy last season, they have a squad of great players now, this is not the same City that signed Robinho where we actually had to question why players would go there. They now have something that appeals to players besides money.

Players are allowed to choose different clubs to go to rather than Manchester United and it's a bit pathetic to slam everyone who chooses City just because they didn't choose us and say it's for money reasons. Maybe a few years ago, but not anymore. It's money plus trophies plus champions league just like it is when any player signs for any other club. That's what a player looks for, that's why a player moves to a different club. Yes they just walked right in and bought it, deal with it, they are here now.

I am not surprised players would choose City over Arsenal as much as it pains me to say it.

A club that he hasn't really had a shot at serious trophy with and one that isn't improving. I'd say City are more likely to win something of note than this lot.

In the long run, City are yes. Not in the short run - i.e. next year or two.

But Arsenal will still remain a bigger and better club than City for years, whatever trophies they win or don't win.

But Arsenal will still remain a bigger and better club than City for years, whatever trophies they win or don't win.

That will be some consolation to a professional footballer.

Well by that logic you're better off going to City, a club that is assured of being more successful in the long run, rather than signing a new 5 year contract at Arsenal.

I would also argue that Shitty have a better chance of winning a trophy this season than the Arse.

Players want trophies and he's more likely to get them at City. I doubt he (or a lot of non homegrown players) care about the size of the club as opposed to the trophies they'll win.

When it's a straight choice between United's history, tradition and class or City's money, then the player's choice tells a lot about them. Aspirational or money grabbing whore?

We don't even know if he did choose them over us. I'm sure Arsenal would sell him to City far quicker than to us, and City were willing to meet their valuation, we weren't.

Yeah I'm not sure how people can keep using that excuse anymore. They offer too high of wages but they're going to be competing for trophies now, and will end up winning a few so why wouldn't he go there?

If he is happy just earning money and not playing as many games as he usually does in a season, then he is free to go there. With the amount of midfielders there, he will not play all their important games.

In all of Nasris time at Arsenal, City have won more trophies.

We need to stop with this small time everyone who goes there is just money grabbing whore blah blah broken record shit. It's the case for a few players yes, but to tar every player with it just because they chose City is pathetic.

City have/are buying success. Yes.
However, they are in the Champions League, they won a trophy last season, they have a squad of great players now, this is not the same City that signed Robinho where we actually had to question why players would go there. They now have something that appeals to players besides money.

Players are allowed to choose different clubs to go to rather than Manchester United and it's a bit pathetic to slam everyone who chooses City just because they didn't choose us and say it's for money reasons. Maybe a few years ago, but not anymore. It's money plus trophies plus champions league just like it is when any player signs for any other club.

When it's a straight choice between United's history, tradition and class or City's money, then the player's choice tells a lot about them. Aspirational or money grabbing whore?

There's another side to this argument which has sort of become the elephant in the room...

lets take Nasri for example... lets say he is wooed by Fergie and wants to sign for a team that are favored to win the league and have a very good shot at winning the CL in 2011/12.

... With Ferguson as manager...

Lets say we do win this season (or even if we don't) how many more seasons will Fergie be in charge. If you were making a long term commitment to a club, with its current manager being one of the main reasons you'd want to sign here... wouldn't it cross your mind that he won't be here beyond 2-3 seasons, at most? And for as much as we want to claim the club and all of its history and traditions is a reason for players to want to come here, so is playing for Fergie and what he has done at this club. How many of us thought he might step down if we'd have beaten Barca... I thought there was a chance.

post Fergie time at Old trafford will be one of transition, no matter who steps in here. This is where the City threat will be at its greatest, and their growth as a club is timing out with Fergie's last days here.

I think this does matter to a player who is thinking of choices when it relates to his long term future

There's another side to this argument which has sort of become the elephant in the room...

lets take Nasri for example... lets say he is wooed by Fergie and wants to sign for a team that are favored to win the league and have a very good shot at winning the CL in 2011/12.

Lets say we do win this season (or even if we don't) how many more seasons will Fergie be in charge. If you were making a long term commitment to a club, with its current manager being one of the main reasons you'd want to sign here... wouldn't it cross your mind that he won't be here beyond 2-3 seasons, at most? And for as much as we want to claim the club and all of its history and traditions is a reason for players to want to come here, so is playing for Fergie and what he has done at this club. How many of us thought he might step down if we'd have beaten Barca... I thought there was a chance.

post Fergie time at Old trafford will be one of transition, no matter who steps in here. This is where the City threat will be at its greatest, and their growth as a club is timing out with Fergie's last days here.

I think this does matter to a player who is thinking of choices when it relates to his long term future

What a load of crap.

They still need a quality winger IMO.

I think they are well stocked in all the attacking areas if they pull off signing Nasri. Gary Neville gave Silva huge praise at the weekend and Aquero can also play out wide.

It's central midfield I thought they would get one more player. They have more than enough now to be a proper threat for the title next season mind you. Depends if all of the players can click and the egos don't destroy the team.

The talent and depth in the squad is getting as good as United's other than in defence. I think this is the season they gave United a proper first run for the title. It's something we are going have to get used to with their finances.

What a load of crap.

So you think Fergie will be around forever?

... and that playing for the great man isn't a strong motivating feature of those players who come to United?

... and that managerial consistency has been our strong suit, which puts United ahead of other clubs?

... and everything will be perfect in transition once he steps aside?

... and that when another "upstart" club, who is playing in the Champions League, is offering you a boat load of money to sign with them... but one of the main reasons you would think about signing with another more successful club for less money is that they are managed by one of the all time greats... yet this manager is very close to retirement... that doesn't play into your decision making?

... what a load of crap

... and that playing for the great man isn't a strong motivating feature of those players who come to United?

... and that managerial consistency has been our strong suit, which puts United ahead of other clubs?

... and that when another "upstart" club, who is playing in the Champions League, is offering you a boat load of money to sign with them... but one of the main reasons you would think about signing with another more successful club for less money is that they are managed by one of the all time greats... yet this manager is very close to retirement... that doesn't play into your decision making?

... what a load of crap

So by the look of what you are saying are the people who are currently in the team are going to want to leave when Fergie leaves? Will Rooney want to leave? I don't think the managerial changes is going to change anything. New players coming in will want to stay even if Fergie leaves.

No-one lives forever

It is yes, but playing for MANCHESTER UNITED is the biggest motivating factor.

Doesn't seem to stop the best players signing for Real every year does it son.

Maybe, we'll no doubt sign a top top drawer manager to replace him, it'll be the biggest job in world football.

Nar, I very much doubt any fecking player signing for United is worried that "maybe the great man retires soon". Playing for him will be great, but they also know that another great man will follow, of course.

Your post is a complete load of drivel, Real Madrid above all prove this.

So by the look of what you are saying are the people who are currently in the team are going to want to leave when Fergie leaves? Will Rooney want to leave? I don't think the managerial changes is going to change anything. New players coming in will want to stay even if Fergie leaves.

No... not at all

What I am saying is that the prospect of Fergie's retirement does have an impact on a player who is considering making a long term career move to United... especially when there are other more lucrative options available.

Top players will always want to come here and play for United... but right now it would be foolish to discount the fact that they know the great man's time at the club could be limited when they are looking at a long term future at United. Playing for a United team being managed by Alex Ferguson is a very attractive proposition.

and while I'm at it... do you think any other manager could have handled the Rooney situation the way Fergie did?... and get that kind of 2nd half of the season out of him given all that went on?

People have been using Fergies age and him not being around in x amount of years as an excuse for players not wanting to sign for the past 10 years

No... not at all

What I am saying is that the prospect of Fergie's retirement does have an impact on a player who is considering making a long term career move to United... especially when there are other more lucrative options available.

Top players will always want to come here and play for United... but right now it would be foolish to discount the fact that they know the great man's time at the club could be limited when they are looking at a long term future at United. Playing for a United team being managed by Alex Ferguson is a very attractive proposition.

and while I'm at it... do you think any other manager could have handled the Rooney situation the way Fergie did?... and get that kind of 2nd half of the season out of him given all that went on?

Pure bollox. For all we know SAF will manage for another 5 years or more, the idea that potential players would second guess that "maybe he only has a year left" is retarded to say the least.

Sadly, with or without Nasri, City will have a better chance to win more than Arsenal for the foreseeable future.

Pure bollox. For all we know SAF will manage for another 5 years or more, the idea that potential players would second guess that "maybe he only has a year left" is retarded to say the least.

Bollox indeed.

Out of City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and United who's most likely to still be here in two years time? Fergie might be old but half the other feckers will have been sacked for sure by then.

No-one lives forever

It is yes, but playing for MANCHESTER UNITED is the biggest motivating factor.

Doesn't seem to stop the best players signing for Real every year does it son.

Sure... players sign for Real Madrid because of the history of the club and the prestige of playing for a club many believe is the top club in the world

but...

Doesn't that same club spend absolute boat loads of money to sign these players (far greater than City or Chelsea throw around)... and sign them all to very lucrative contracts... far greater than City or Chelsea or Barca or Inter??? Answer me that, son.

Manchester United do not... there are intangibles at this club that set us aside from that, and are part of the reasons players sign here for less money than they could make elsewhere.

Sure we sign top players, we always have and we always will... but our pay scale is nowhere near the same as Real, or Barca, or City or Chelsea... there are players on the Milan clubs and in Russia who make more than our best paid players. Alex Ferguson, and they way he has preached the values of the club from day 1, is one of the most valuable intangibles at the Club... and you'd be foolish not to recognize that.

Then again... if you aspire to see our club become a team of mercenaries...

Nar, I very much doubt any fecking player signing for United is worried that "maybe the great man retires soon". Playing for him will be great, but they also know that another great man will follow, of course.

Your post is a complete load of drivel, Real Madrid above all prove this.

Your counter points are complete wank... you honestly the that playing for Fergie has absolutely no bearing on a player deciding to come to Manchester United... why don't you ask all of our top signings Jaap Stam, Ruud, Veron, Rio, Rooney. FFS why did Keane turn down more money at Blackburn to sign here?

Do you remember 2001-02? before Fergie made his u-turn, son?

Your counter points are complete wank... you honestly the that playing for Fergie has absolutely no bearing on a player deciding to come to Manchester United... why don't you ask all of our top signings Jaap Stam, Ruud, Veron, Rio, Rooney. FFS why did Keane turn down more money at Blackburn to sign here?

Do you remember 2001-02? before Fergie made his u-turn, son?

You over-played the "son" card there didn't you :lol:

Keane turned down Blackburn to play for Manchester United, if Ron Atkinson had made that call he still would've signed, because he wanted to play for the biggest club in the land.

I believe SAF has a bearing, but I think it's completely retarded to think that any player is thinking "will he be here in 5 years".... seriously, wtf!!

Lots of players LOVE Mourinho and no doubt he's part of the reason they sign for Madrid, do you really think they think "oh maybe not, cause he might be sacked next month"?... get to feck!!

And the players he signed at Inter only to feck off soonish afterwards? Eto'o, Sneijder? THEY COULDN'T GIVE A feck, because players NEVER know the future of a fecking manager! They sign because he's the manager when they sign and because he wants them, simples!

Keane turned down Blackburn to play for Manchester United.
I believe SAF has a bearing,

At least we agree on that part... although I'm pretty sure it was Fergie who talked Keane into screwing over Kenny, and we're all happier for it.

but I think it's completely retarded to think that any player is thinking "will he be here in 5 years".... seriously, wtf!!

I think we all know Fergie won't be here in 5 years... you might not want to believe it... but we all need to face up to it.

Lots of players LOVE Mourinho and no doubt he's part of the reason they sign for Madrid, do you really think they think "oh maybe not, cause he might be sacked next month"?... get to feck!!

And the players he signed at Inter only to feck off soonish afterwards? Eto'o, Sneijder? THEY COULDN'T GIVE A feck, because players NEVER know the future of a fecking manager! They sign because he's the manager when they sign and because he wants them, simples!

I'm pretty sure that's my point... we aren't Inter Milan or Real Madrid... and we certainly don't pay as well as they do. Players who sign for Manchester United for the past 20 odd years have always known that Alex Ferguson IS the manager and is always going to be the manager. He is the last in a line of managers who hold more sway than the top players... there is a respect for that, the way he runs the club.

Tell me this... earlier this summer when there were rumors at Madrid of disharmony between Ronaldo and Mourhino... who would have been out the door first?

Now, who was out the door first when there were rumors of poor relations between Fergie and Beckham or Stam or RVN or Tevez?

I'm pretty sure that's my point... we aren't Inter Milan or Real Madrid... and we certainly don't pay as well as they do. Players who sign for Manchester United for the past 20 odd years have always known that Alex Ferguson IS the manager and is always going to be the manager. He is the last in a line of managers who hold more sway than the top players... there is a respect for that, the way he runs the club.

The likes of Carvalho aren't on great wages, he wants to play for Maureen, does he really think "maybe I should stay at Chelsea because this is Madrid and they'll probably sack Maureen soon"... no?

My only point is, players do not think like that, yes they will want to play for Fergie but they will not be thinking "maybe he'll retire soon", not a chance.

ITell me this... earlier this summer when there were rumors at Madrid of disharmony between Ronaldo and Mourhino... who would have been out the door first?

Now, who was out the door first when there were rumors of poor relations between Fergie and Beckham or Stam or RVN or Tevez?

What does this have to do with anything?

The likes of Carvalho aren't on great wages, he wants to play for Maureen, does he really think "maybe I should stay at Chelsea because this is Madrid and they'll probably sack Maureen soon"... no?

My only point is, players do not think like that, yes they will want to play for Fergie but they will not be thinking "maybe he'll retire soon", not a chance.

What does this have to do with anything?

That point was to back up my claim that United are unique amongst the top clubs in Europe in that we do have a manager who for the past 20 odd years wasn't going anywhere... he gave our club a stability and a consistency that all of Europe's other top clubs couldn't match. That's always been an attractive prospect for players coming here.

The prospect of that ending isn't a pretty one... yes I know the club will continue, and prosper... but there has to be an element of uncertainty as that time draws closer... like there was back in 2001/02.

There aren't many managers at top clubs who I'd expect to outlast Ferguson. Chelsea and Real Madrid fire their managers like nobody's business, Mancini always appears to be on a knife-edge, Wenger and Dalglish are in their 60s, Guardiola seems to be thinking of leaving Barca every year. We have as much stability as anyone except Arsenal at the moment.

great as he was several seasons ago... a 32 yr old Ricardo Carvalho is not one of the world's top players.

And yes he may have accepted less money to play at Real out of loyalty to Jose...

But I'll bet Ronaldo (both of them), Ozil, Alonso, Higuin, Benzema, di Maria, Zidane, Figo ect, ect didn't take pay cuts to join Real... the way we will expect Sneijder to do if he wants to play here.

Peter I think you guys are going to lose Nasri one way or the other. It is going to come down to the fact that if you guys are willing to take £20-25m for him this summer or get nothing for him next summer.

They offer the highest wages, sure. From Nasri's point of view, getting extra money is obviously a plus in signing for a team who offered him less wages. That would be the same for every player in the world.

It doesn't necessarily mean it is the deciding factor though.

Regardless, City will be challenging for trophies sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.