Nasri To City - Done Deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's true and pretty much every player who moves has been tapped up.

That's true for basically any Bosman move - or just any transfer these days. This rule doesn't make much difference, imo.

RIP.jpg

If we keep them and buy a decent centrehalf we've got a very good chance much better than the 9/1 currently on offer.

Yep. In the days of Adams and Campbell, you were a very hard side to break down. A lot of the Arsenal teams of the past were built on solid central defenders, even harkign back to the days of Terry Neill and Ian Ure. I know the tread these days is to play "footballing" centre halves such as Rio, but we also need a player like Vidic to stop attacks in their tracks without fuss or fancy moves. The trouble is, there aren't any top-class centre-halves available, at least in England.

SSN say City are back in for him.

They Are looking into both Nasri and Kun Aguero.

If that actually happened would anyone be a tad concerned about City next season?

If I believed in financial fair-play - I wouldnt fear them for a second. But since teams like City will do anything to manage the financial restrictions - without Uefa stopping them - yes I do fear them.

The only good thing about City's desperation to achieve the financial goals - is that UEFA see several ways to cheat the system and hopefully do something about it from day 1.

SSN say City are back in for him.

They Are looking into both Nasri and Kun Aguero.

If that actually happened would anyone be a tad concerned about City next season?

As concerned as I was when they signed Milner & Dzeko.

I doubt Aguero will do much better than Tevez has done for City. The addition of Nasri isn't going to transform City too, but would definitely strengthen their squad which will be busier in Europe.

Overall I think it's foolish to dismiss City because unless they're on a self-destruct mode their new wealth is bound to win them trophies. They already have an FA Cup win to show for their efforts, and few would bet against them winning more in the next 3-5 years.

I doubt Aguero will do much better than Tevez has done for City. .
Well lets hope not.

The thing about City is that, much like England, simply bringing a group of players together, pumping their egos and, in Cities case, throwing money at them doesn't make them a team.

Chelsea couldve fallen into the same trap but they kept some players who actually cared about the club and appointed a brilliant manager.

Well lets hope not.

The thing about City is that, much like England, simply bringing a group of players together, pumping their egos and, in Cities case, throwing money at them doesn't make them a team.

Chelsea couldve fallen into the same trap but they kept some players who actually cared about the club and appointed a brilliant manager.

Nasri and Aguero are players hungry for success though.

Well lets hope not.

They seem to be happy not just chucking money at players, but losing lots of money in order to find the right players. They can afford buying 5 20m players at a time, knowing only 1 or 2 would survive more than a season. After several years of that practice they'll be left with a team capable of winning anything. Perhaps you need OOTs to help you accept this. ;)

It is true as far as I'm aware.

Why on earth would the league have such an inane ruling?

Does it even hold up? Wasn't the six months thing a part of the bosman ruling?

Okay. The point you're trying to make is that all these players are only in it for the money, so they won't perform as well. The likes of Milner/Barry etc were never good enough anyway. The quality players like Silva and Toure aren't underperforming because of money, in fact they've been a big reason as to why City finished in CL places. Tevez is a mercenary and a money grabber but on the pitch not many have performed better than him in the whole league, he's done everything he can to ensure City finish as high as they can.

If they sign Nasri/Aguero, are they going to start performing beneath themselves because they've got all this cash? I doubt it.

The point is every player will tell you they're hungry for success and there are many teams where they could pursue it, City throwing money at them isn't a coincidence though...

Does it effect their individual performance? I'd say it does yeah, personally I think people work harder for a cause they really believe in rather than one that pays them more than anyone else.

There's also the point that bringing in these type of players hinders the development of team mentality, you could make the argument that it results in ending up with a dressing room full of primadonnas with falsely inflated egos, who see themselves as bigger than the club.

The point is every player will tell you they're hungry for success and there are many teams where they could pursue it, City throwing money at them isn't a coincidence though...

Does it effect their individual performance? I'd say it does yeah, personally I think people work harder for a cause they really believe in rather than one that pays them more than anyone else.

There's also the point that bringing in these type of players hinders the development of team mentality, you could make the argument that it results in ending up with a dressing room full of primadonnas with falsely inflated egos, who see themselves as bigger than the club.

I think money is just a part of the negative influence, but it is perhaps a common denominator in what is wrong with city - there is no team mentality, no culture at the club. It's basically just a bunch of high-earners thrown together at a place that doesn't care for them and hasn't cottoned on to the fact that a team or a club is more than just 11 men on the pitch. The fact that the club treats players they no longer want with such casual disdain shows to me that they just don't get it. It's a club that has assembled a bunch of talented mercenaries and treats them as just that.

I think one of the reasons Dalglish has gone for British players so much is to avoid just that: To reinforce a certain footballing culture and mentality of togetherness in the side. Imo, that has also been one of United's greatest strengths over the years. A strong continuity and team culture that made it much easier to mould newcomers into the the players Ferguson wanted them to be.

Totally agree with you, and its the one big difference between City and Chelsea, Mourinho instilled a team mentality at Chelsea, the players knew he cared about them and they cared about each other.

City is very much a club of individuals, their captain didn't even attend their first trophy celebration in 35 years ffs (despite his claims about how important winning a trophy 'for the fans' was).

Totally agree with you, and its the one big difference between City and Chelsea, Mourinho instilled a team mentality at Chelsea, the players knew he cared about them and they cared about each other.

That's a good point and an excellent example that City could have bought their way to the top in a very different manner if they had cared to. Chelsea splashed the cash and tempted with money in the same way, but in Mourinho they had a man who understood what type of players to go for (he wanted players like Drogba and Essien, from lower leagues an on an upward spiral more than the big names already established) and who emphasised a core already present at the club to build a team culture.

Hopefully the FFP will throw a spanner in the works.

The FFP's are a farce anyway, unless Platini hits the likes of Barca, City and Chelsea hard then they will be ineffective and meaningless. Thir biggest stumbling block is having Ferguson in the way.

That's a good point and an excellent example that City could have bought their way to the top in a very different manner if they had cared to. Chelsea splashed the cash and tempted with money in the same way, but in Mourinho they had a man who understood what type of players to go for (he wanted players like Drogba and Essien, from lower leagues an on an upward spiral more than the big names already established) and who emphasised a core already present at the club to build a team culture.

The big difference is Mourinho in the most part signed player who had the chance to make their names at Chelsea. City are signing players who expect to make City's name for them. They therefore expect special treatment.

Look at how Tevez has carried on on the past 12 months, do you think Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd or anyone else would put up with that and still have him as captain? What sort of message does it sen to the rest of the team?

So Mancini expects to sign Nasri before the end of the month then.

But then look at Tevez's performance at City compared to at United. The way he's been off the pitch is bad for the club, but on the pitch he's performed better than most players in the league. Silva has been one of their best players, I don't think he's performing beneath himself. Toure even when playing in a position unfamiliar to him has been very good for City. Then there's the likes of Kompany who has been one of the best performers in the league and Joe Hart looks very motivated in his interviews.

Tevez will end up leaving but they'll miss his performances even if it is a good thing to get rid of his off pitch stuff. If they replace him with Aguero, they'll have someone who can perform at a similar or even higher level and as far as I know, he's not likely to behave as terrible as Tevez does off the pitch.

City have some solid performers. I think their problem is more to do with the manager, tactics and lack of quality in certain positions rather than anything else. For example, if they replaced the likes of Barry with a CM who could control things in the middle then I'd be quite worried.

They finished third last season and got into the CL, so they've made progress. If they do buy the right players then it's fair to say we should be worried. Just because they all want money, doesn't mean they'll automatically never win anything. The problem for them is that they're likely to buy the wrong players, or Mancini won't play the right ones.

So Mancini expects to sign Nasri before the end of the month then.

He doesn't expects to sign Nasri, he says he hopes to Sign Nasri and says it's gonna be difficult.

I never said they'd never win anything, I said I wouldn't be anymore concerned than when they signed Dzeko & Milner.

You've listed 3 players who've been great for them, and of course they've made progress, my point is that most really successful clubs have a great team mentality, at times it even outweighs individual brilliance, IMO City are doing nothing to build any sort of team mentality, I also agree with the point about tactics etc of course.

I'm not sure I agree that Augero will by default be as good if not better than Tevez, Tevez has been the most prolific striker in the league over the past 2 years, he's proven and experienced in the league.

As for not causing as much hassle, that remains to be seen, Argentinians hardly have the best record in England and this particular one will have the nutjob that is Maradona in his ear.

The FFP's are a farce anyway, unless Platini hits the likes of Barca, City and Chelsea hard then they will be ineffective and meaningless. Thir biggest stumbling block is having Ferguson in the way.

why would you throw barca in there? It won't be dfficult for them to comply at all.

Chelsea ought to be able to do it as well if they cut back their spending.

Status
Not open for further replies.