Nasri To City - Done Deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
but Fergie said "No". Thats the end of it in my book.

Agreed,

'You don't think we'd get into a contract with that mob? I wouldn't sell them a virus' | Football | guardian.co.uk

RonaldoMadridAP_450x300.jpg

I've always thought that Sir Alex was referring to Real Madrid under the presidency of Ramon Calderon when calling them "that mob". As soon as Florentino Pérez came in the transfer went through relatively quickly, quietly and even amicably.

However, I do agree with the general point you are making and anyone who actually saw Sir Alex's press conference would also agree that it seems this one may not be completely dead in the water. Though we may never know if we are actually still making enquiries or not.

I've always thought that Sir Alex was referring to Real Madrid under the presidency of Ramon Calderon when calling them "that mob". As soon as Florentino Pérez came in the transfer went through relatively quickly, quietly and even amicably.

However, I do agree with the general point you are making and anyone who actually saw Sir Alex's press conference would also agree that it seems this one may not be completely dead in the water. Though we may never know if we are actually still making enquiries or not.

Indeed.

I've said from the start that I didn't think we'd sign Nasri, at the same time its a bit naive to take at face value everything said during transfer windows.

I've said from the start that I didn't think we'd sign Nasri, at the same time its a bit naive to take at face value everything said during transfer windows.

Definitely. No manager is going to reveal all of his cards. Unless if you're Harry Redknapp maybe.

I don't think Wenger will sell Nasri to us. Not at all. He has softened towards us in recent years but still sees us as his teams biggest rivals for trophies, so would not want to strengthen us in anyway (and Nasri would strengthen us significantly). I think Wenger is stubborn enough to keep hold of Nasri for a year and let him go for free in the hope that he goes elsewhere, I'd reckon.

I do think Arsenal may sell Nasri to City though. Perhaps on the assumption that he would improve them less than he would improve us. Plus City would offer Nasri more money so he would probably go there quite happily.

Wenger also hates City though. He is long against their financial "doping"(as he puts it) and has again spoken about their new deal.

The Guardian said:
You seem to be in a similar situation with Samir Nasri?
No. Samir's situation is clear for me.

He definitely stays, come what may?
He stays.

So if a club comes in with a big offer, knowing that he's in the final year of his contract, you will say, "You're staying..."
I've just told you that we are in a position where we can say "No".

And you will, in the case of Samir?
We will.

You think that it is worth more to have Samir for one more season and risk losing him on a Bosman free next summer than to cash in now?
Yes.

That could be construed as a £20m gamble?
[Smiling.] You are the same people who reproach me for not spending money and now you reproach me for wanting to spend it! It is in the interests of the club. Fábregas is in no man's land ... Imagine the worst situation, that we lose Fábregas and Nasri; you cannot convince people that you are ambitious after that. And even if you lose Nasri, to find the same quality player, you have to spend again the same amount of money because you cannot say you lose the player and you do not replace him. And the other clubs who come to take him have scouts all over the world as well but if they come to us for our player ...

Says he's prepared to let his contract run down then.

Wenger also hates City though. He is long against their financial "doping"(as he puts it) and has again spoken about their new deal.

In fairness, I don't think Wenger's hatred of City is much more intense than that of anyone else. Everyone despises them.

Says he's prepared to let his contract run down then.

Got a link to that? The Fabregas part pretty much confirms he is off.

Funny that since Fergie comments no movement on Nasri moving else where has been made, maybe he will be staying at Arsenal then???

The only way you could see Nasri moving in light of those comments is if he either kicks up a massive fuss - which I don't think he will - or if someone comes in and bids stupid money, which City might if they are desperate to push the deal through.

I suppose Wenger's innate optimism tells him they'll win the league this season and Nasri will sign on again.

I suppose Wenger's innate optimism tells him they'll win the league this season and Nasri will sign on again.
Possibly Wenger's sense of self-preservation kicking in. If we lose Nasri and Fabregas our chances of winning stuff are not good.

In fairness, I don't think Wenger's hatred of City is much more intense than that of anyone else. Everyone despises them.

Yeah I know that. But people are giving reasons that Wenger won't sell Nasri to us because he hates Manchester United, just pointing out that he also hates City.

Wenger is taking a big gamble, but I agree with his appraisal of the situation. Lose Nasri and Fabregas, and you are really sending the wrong signal to the whole world. He has a much better chance of doing well this season with those two in the team, than without. That being said, I think if someone throws seriously stupid money at them for Nasri, they'll probably take it.

If they end up empty handed again at the end of the season, there will be a big price to pay though.

Possibly Wenger's sense of self-preservation kicking in. If we lose Nasri and Fabregas our chances of winning stuff are not good.

Agree with that. If both of those were to leave the cycle would be back go square one, or not far off it. You can probably bear the loss of Fabregas with Nasri moving inside.

Arsenal have been sending out the wrong signals for years, that is why they are never linked to big transfers when they come about. I think if Wenger is serious, he needs to think big in the transfer market else it will all fall down.

Imagine Nasri & Fabregas have average seasons, Van Persie gets injured again, Gary Cahill goes to Chelsea / City & Arsenal dont qualify for Champions League - what players would they attract then?!

Nasri could start the season playin shit & then Arsenal would maybe have to consider sellin him in January just to get some dough for a player who's heart isnt in it - like Fabregas was last season!

Seriously dangerous game Wengers playin, they should have offered him a new deal by the start of last season. I'll be surprised if Nasri is still there by the start of the season, its too much money to lose to an already greedy board who invest nothing & collect all the profits the club make!

Yeah I know that. But people are giving reasons that Wenger won't sell Nasri to us because he hates Manchester United, just pointing out that he also hates City.

I agree he probably hates City more than us.

However, although City are clearly improving Wenger surely still sees us as bigger rivals for the top trophies and knows that if our midfield strengthened significantly (as it would if we managed to get Nasri) we'd be taking a step away from Arsenal as we are already superior at the back and up front. Nasri would improve us more than he would City, so I think if Nasri kicked up a stink and Wenger had to sell he would be tactical and rather see Nasri go to them and probably be pushed out wide and get rotated a lot than come to us and possibly become instrumental in our midfield.

Anyway. For what it's worth I think Nasri will stay at Arsenal, and not come here even after his contract runs out.

Imagine Nasri & Fabregas have average seasons, Van Persie gets injured again, Gary Cahill goes to Chelsea / City & Arsenal dont qualify for Champions League - what players would they attract then?!

Nasri could start the season playin shit & then Arsenal would maybe have to consider sellin him in January just to get some dough for a player who's heart isnt in it - like Fabregas was last season!

Seriously dangerous game Wengers playin, they should have offered him a new deal by the start of last season. I'll be surprised if Nasri is still there by the start of the season, its too much money to lose to an already greedy board who invest nothing & collect all the profits the club make!
Its not just about pound notes though is it. Its making a statement that Arsenal are still in there competing with the big boys in the league.

We didn't want to deal with Calderon because they never put in a proper bid, all they did was hanging around tapping him up and waiting for us to sell him way below his market value which wasn't going to happen. Perez basically stroke a deal with United a week or two after he has become a president, and paid good money for the player as well.

Its not just about pound notes though is it. Its making a statement that Arsenal are still in there competing with the big boys in the league.

They arent. And their two best players not wanting to be there is a big statement in itself.

Sell the players, use the money wisely to replace them and keep the team at a similar level and then move on - make new stars, ones that are happy to be there like Nasri and Fabregas used to be, but will never be again

Arsene should just make a couple of big signings and go all out for the title. You'll see Nasri if not Fabregas (for whom they'll anyway get tons of money) suddenly have a change of heart. Either that or sell them. It makes little sense to keep them but keep things largely the same as they're not good enough and these players' biggest concern is the lack of trophies and perceived ambition.

If we keep them and buy a decent centrehalf we've got a very good chance much better than the 9/1 currently on offer.

You need a left back, centre back, defensive midfielder, goal keeper and striker to even think about challenging United and Chelsea for the title I'm afraid.

You need a left back, centre back, defensive midfielder, goal keeper and striker to even think about challenging United and Chelsea for the title I'm afraid.

This couldn't be more accurate.

City are much closer to United and Chelsea than Arse...

I've not quite given up on this one. I think we had the money for Sanchez AND Schneider. Evra's been making overtures since the beginning of the summer so he's ITK!

I know SAF's thrown everyone off the scent but I'm not convinced that this won't happen whether Sneijder signs or not!

Arsenal have been sending out the wrong signals for years, that is why they are never linked to big transfers when they come about. I think if Wenger is serious, he needs to think big in the transfer market else it will all fall down.

^ This...

No guarantees, but I love United are linked to big players and that after splashing 50 mil. We may get a certain Dutchman, we may not, but everyone knows United is serious about remaining one of the biggest clubs around based on all the names we are linked with :devil:.

In fairness, keeping Nasri at all costs is the intelligent decision, and I respect them for making it.

Status
Not open for further replies.