Moyes To Succeed Ferguson Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do feel that tension very keenly: on the one hand not wanting to turn into Chelsea, with managers coming and going and not giving people enough of a chance to get it right, as SAF himself got; on the other, not wanting to persist with someone who isnt up to the job. Just because SAF got it right after 7 years, doesnt mean the new manager will (not that we would wait 7 years these days.)

That makes it awkward if Moyes doesnt start off well.

Can you knock this shit on the head? The people not excited by this, are disappointed, or underwhelmed, are getting a bad rap here today, for voicing a reasonable honest opinion.

We've just lost Ferguson, and might get someone many of us don't rate as good enough to manage a club of our stature. Forgive us for not pulling somersaults.

Unbelievable, isn't it, mate?

Top-Redism alive and well again today it seems.

Can you knock this shit on the head? The people not excited by this, are disappointed, or underwhelmed, are getting a bad rap here today, for voicing a reasonable honest opinion.

We've just lost Ferguson, and might get someone many of us don't rate as good enough to manage a club of our stature. Forgive us for not pulling somersaults.

Many didn't pull somersaults when we got Fergie, many wanted this and that and especially Clough,Graham

You're hitting your head against a brick wall with some.

I really don't get all the negativity either.

If you don't want Moyes, then who do you want that we can realistically sign, and why?

Klopp - Not going anywhere

Pep - Going to Bayern

Jose - Probably going to Chelski. Is a winner, no doubt about it, but he never stays anywhere for long and he brings the whole circus to town.

What makes a management appointment 'dull' ffs.

Chelsea have had lots of 'exciting' appointments in the last 5 years .... top foreign managers, world cup winners, European Cup winners etc none have lasted more than 5 minutes ... is that what you want?

Wasn't being totally serious there.

Anyway, I'm happy with a dull manager, provided they're successful. Moyes has no track record of winning things so to me he's one of the riskier options we could have gone for. We're essentially basing it on the gut feeling that he's right for the club rather than his track record.

For me a safe option would have been someone like Ancelotti. Proven winner with a bit of class. Doesn't seem like he was ever in the running though.

If you don't want Moyes, then who do you want that we can realistically sign, and why?

Pep - Going to Bayern

Jose - Probably going to Chelski. Is a winner, no doubt about it, but he never stays anywhere for long and he brings the whole circus to town.

How do we know Klopp wouldn't go anywhere? Mourinho may be going to Chelsea, but from what we know it's not a guarantee yet and when you consider his managerial pedigree, he'd certainly be worth enquiring about.

Pep - Going to Bayern

This is a good point. I would much prefer Klopp, and probably slightly prefer Mourinho. But the former is just plain not available, and it does seem like the latter has long had his heart set on a return to Chelsea.

Unbelievable, isn't it, mate?

Top-Redism alive and well again today it seems.

People lose the argument as soon as they see any support for the club as Top Red ism.

There should be an infraction as soon as any pull that shit..... lazy posting, lacking in originality

Is it true that Fergie previously interviewed him for an assistants job, but turned him down for preference over Steve McClaren?

Many didn't pull somersaults when we got Fergie, many wanted this and that and especially Clough,Graham

And what? They were wrong. I might be too, but I'm still allowed to voice that he wouldn't be my choice and I don't think he's the best man for the job without being called a glory hunter or having it suggested that I won't be missed when I feck off to support whatever team Mourinho is managing.

Pep - Going to Bayern

In fairness I think if we went after Klopp or Jose they would accept.

The only one that was impossible was Pep.

But I am happy to accept who ever is decided. And that will be Moyes. Some fans needs to get over it and accept him.

I'm not lobbying for Klopp, but seriously? He's been in management for 12 years and managed a bigger club than Everton for five of them - in the Champions League no less.

Yep, seriously, in my opinion.

We need someone who knows the league we're in.

I bloody love Klopp, not detracting from what he has done at all, but I just don't think he's got the experience for United.

Is it true that Fergie previously interviewed him for an assistants job, but turned him down for preference over Steve McClaren?

I think so, but it would have been over a decade ago so wouldn't have much bearing now.

This is a good point. I would much prefer Klopp, and probably slightly prefer Mourinho. But the former is just plain not available, and it does seem like the latter has long had his heart set on a return to Chelsea.

Klopp is flavour of the month but who knows what he'd be in the PL?

AVB was seen as the second coming of JM...then it went belly up

I think so, but it would have been over a decade ago so wouldn't have much bearing now.

Aye, no bearing at all. Just that someone tweeted it earlier and I honestly didn't know.

In fairness I think if we went after Klopp or Jose they would accept.

Hasn't Klopp publicly stated that he's staying with Dortmund for at least another season? Or am I imagining things? I hope not, because I'll be much more gutted if it seems like we could have got him and just didn't. He's absolutely perfect to replace Fergie.

Klopp is flavour of the month but who knows what he'd be in the PL?

AVB was seen as the second coming of JM...then it went belly up

But AVB wasn't given a chance, and had a squad full of players who instantly turned against him because his style and plans for the future didn't involve them. He's shown at Spurs that he's a more than capable manager with a lot of potential.

For every AVB, there has been a Mourinho for example. He adjusted to the league immediately. And Wenger hardly did bad either, winning the Premier League in his 2nd season in it. And Carlo Ancelotti won the double in his first season. Having Premier League experience would be decent enough if possible, but it's not crucial for me. I'd say European experience is more important personally.

On a perfectly general note, not directed at anyone in particular: If some of the anti-Moyes brigade here had been Barca fans (or Dortmund fans, for that matter) a few years ago they would've been wildly opposed to giving Pep G. or Klopp a job. At least if they had applied the same logic they now use against Moyes.

Hiring a football manager isn't as simple as looking for the biggest name with the heaviest credentials. Ask any number of top clubs with more money than sense about that. People are entitled to their opinions and on a day like this they're entitled to being disappointed and frustrated too. That's fair enough. But if Moyes gets this job it won't be shocking at all. And it won't make us a laughing stock - other than among bloody idiots, that is. It's an appointment which makes sense in many ways.

Yep, seriously, in my opinion.

We need someone who knows the league we're in.

I bloody love Klopp, not detracting from what he has done at all, but I just don't think he's got the experience for United.

Out of curiosity, why is previous experience important for the PL but not the CL?

Hasn't Klopp publicly stated that he's staying with Dortmund for at least another season? Or am I imagining things? I hope not, because I'll be much more gutted if it seems like we could have got him and just didn't. He's absolutely perfect to replace Fergie.

AVB said he would lead Porto into the CL and then took the Chelsea job. never trust anyone in football

edit: Fergie mentioned last week about singing players for next season. :(

Is he Scottish?

People lose the argument as soon as they see any support for the club as Top Red ism.

There should be an infraction as soon as any pull that shit..... lazy posting, lacking in originality

But calling anyone questioning club appointments glory hunters etc, hipsters etc, that's perfectly valid.

Anyone voicing the opinion that they aren't entirely delighted with this potential appointment have been met with all kinds of vitriol today.

Well, you know what? I don't think he's the man for the job, I don't think he's the best option out there and I don't give a feck what people think of me for saying it. If he comes in I'll support him, because I support Manchester United, but I stand by that I think there are better options, and today has been a huge disappointment topped up by a further one. Losing Fergie was a huge blow, compounded by the knowledge that the man seemingly coming to replace him doesn't boast anywhere near the kind of pedigree this club should demand.

You want stability at the club. Not a revolving door of managers.

Long term, I agree yes, but I think someone with Mourinho's personality and charisma would be ideal for the first 2-3 years. The pressure on whoever gets the job next season will be huge, and I can't help but wonder if Moyes has the mentality to deal with it just yet. In time yes, but I'm not sure he does at the minute.

AVB said he would lead Porto into the CL and then took the Chelsea job. never trust anyone in football

edit: Fergie mentioned last week about singing players for next season. :(

He has identified players for a while now...not sure those targets will be revised

I've no doubts Mourinho would choose United over Chelsea if he were offered both jobs.

Plenty of managers say things for the camera and quickly change. An enquiry certainly wouldn't have done any harm anyway at the very least.

I can't say I'm pleased at Moyes' appointment, but I'll give him every chance.

Long term, I agree yes, but I think someone with Mourinho's personality and charisma would be ideal for the first 2-3 years. The pressure for whoever gets the job next season will be huge, and I can't help but wonder if Moyes has the mentality to deal with it just yet. In time yes, but I'm not sure he does at the minute.

Yes it's all about him though! He can feck right off

How do we know Klopp wouldn't go anywhere? Mourinho may be going to Chelsea, but from what we know it's not a guarantee yet and when you consider his managerial pedigree, he'd certainly be worth enquiring about.

I can't see Klopp going anywhere because he has built something with Dortmund and has them in the CL final. German boy too.

Mourinho - I think he's a fantastic manager, but he is a bit of a cock sometimes (eye gouging, bad press conferences and his massive ego). He never stays at a club for a long time, and isn't renowned for building a team for the future. I wouldn't be annoyed in the slightest if he were to be the new manager, but there's a lot I would like him to change about himself if he were to come here, and I get the impression that he would always see himself as more than the club. Alex Ferguson said that he (himself) was a legend, but you never get that impression from Sir Alex, and to be fair he is a fecking legend, and there's no doubt about that - he has truly earned it.

Long term, I agree yes, but I think someone with Mourinho's personality and charisma would be ideal for the first 2-3 years. The pressure on whoever gets the job next season will be huge, and I can't help but wonder if Moyes has the mentality to deal with it just yet. In time yes, but I'm not sure he does at the minute.

The guy is a good manager but he's a prick. It becomes about him and not the club. We can do without that bloody circus.

No, but thats not what will measure his success here. I will base his time here on the league, and if he does manage to stay here for a few years with success, thats when we can start to expect him to make an impact on the CL. I mean a real impact, like semi-finals/finals/champions.

I'm sorry but he needs to make an impact in Europe on a regular basis.....being United manager demands that. We cannot start lowering our expectations because it is David Moyes and not Jose Mourinho. If the board wish to appoint him he should be expected to make an impact in Europe with the squad he will have at his disposal, and the inevitable resources to purchase new players.

Granted I'm not expecting anything majorly significant in his first season, the league once again will be priority....but we have failed to reach the Quarter-Finals two years running now, that is not good enough. Klopp needed one season to become accustomed to the Champions League, Guardiola just one full season to actually win it. Mourinho won the UEFA Cup in his first full season with Porto....the Champions League the season after.

Moyes will need to get to that level and sharpish. The Champions League is too important to be dismissed as an afterthought. It is the biggest club trophy in the world and any top manager needs it on their CV. Moyes is going to be Manchester United manager now....no more can he simply be plucky Davy Moyes from Everton (great job on limited resources etc.) he is now in the company of elite managers and he must prove he belongs there.

Status
Not open for further replies.