Moyes: "January not an easy month to purchase in. We have a good squad."

we will make the top four this season with players we already have.

Probably, but the fact that it's only "probably" the season after winning the league with an 11 point margin and one of our highest ever point totals is disheartening. I still think we'll make it in the end, but it's not a certainty with the holes we've got in the squad. I'm not one of those who thinks Fergie was somehow making up for an average squad, but not improving is going backwards in today's Premier League.

I am almost certain we will sign someone half-way significant this January, though.

He's actually improved on how he handles the media with these questions. He's saying exactly what he should be saying, that our players aren't shit and that we'll only sign players of a great quality. Such great quality may be difficult be we'll try.

It's better than saying Evra is finished and several other players will be replaced shortly. He can't knock the confidence of our current players just to reassure the few precious fans

to be fair, he's never actually said united would be making signings in January..he's just done the usual 'manchester united will always be looking for the best players to improve the team...' thingy..

yep we do...but we should also bear in mind that if we don't reach fourth, then some of those team changing players won't want to think about coming to us..

Nothing you can do if the players you want can't leave in jan, settling leads to mediocrity long term.

:lol: Moyes says exactly what Fergie has been saying, and yet Moyes is being lambasted. I know our current position is worse off than when Fergie was here, but I'm amazed some of you lot expect him to say "Yeah, we have a shit squad - I'm definitely going to need to buy a few players".

We go back and forth between needing a huge clearout or massive overhaul vs just a few signings to complete the puzzle. It's got to be one or the other in relation to the quality of our squad.

:lol: Moyes says exactly what Fergie has been saying, and yet Moyes is being lambasted. I know our current position is worse off than when Fergie was here, but I'm amazed some of you lot expect him to say "Yeah, we have a shit squad - I'm definitely going to need to buy a few players".

Moyes doesn't have the benefit of being the greatest manager of all time to be fair, although I think it's clear Moyes is looking for improvements something which was difficult to discern under SAF, I mean Moyes wanted two midfielders and a left-back in the summer and he's pretty fecking spot-on with that assessment.

to be fair, he's never actually said united would be making signings in January..he's just done the usual 'manchester united will always be looking for the best players to improve the team...' thingy..

Saying nothing would be better in this situation. No matter what he says about the squad - good or bad - it will get turned against him some way or another. Every January for the past 20 years we've at least had a sniff at winning the league, and that has provided a pretty big safety net in terms of what the manager can and can't say to the press.

He cant win, can he?

Imo he is doing the right thing by keeping everybody in the dark.

Good job Moyes!

IF he's keeping everybody in the dark. Unfortunately, I reckon he is just being honest. He'll also recognize soon that a world cup summer isn't the easiest time to sign players either, especially when you add the possibility of no Champions League football.

He's right though, we have a good squad. Would be an even better squad if he used all of the players and played them in their best positions.

Evra's knackered because he's the only player who has to play virtually every game and for some of those games he's run ragged covering for stand-in wingers who drift around the pitch at any available opportunity.

Anyway, let's hope he manages to find that purchasing players is easier in January than he anticipated, because by next summer the quality players we need might just have noticed that United haven't qualified for the CL.

We need a LB and proper back up RB. Also if our youth system is so fantastic why isn't there a back up RB from there? You would usually expect it to be a young player from the system.

We need quite a few players,but Baines will not be sold and why would they,also Shaw will stay where he is until the summer.

Moyes: "Hey Mr Woodword, how are enquiries going on new signings? Any news on the 2 names I gave you? Koke and Barkley" Woodword: "Hi David, I have Been talking to representatives fom both Coca Cola and Barclays Bank. And they may be interested in becoming partners"

We have got a good squad.

Unfortunately, we need a great one.

Of course we have a good squad - and with Fletcher well, RvP not injured, Rafael and Jones not out every 2 matches - we would have been near the top.

But we lack 2-3 players to have a brilliant squad.

And you don't win the league with just a good squad

We don't have a great squad but the manager is supposed to say that. Likely, if we can sign a player who we are looking for, we will but what would have been the point of Moyes saying 'we're shit so we are desperate to sign someone in order to improve the squad'.

This might be a controversial opinion on here but i'm glad he's said this personally. Remember the summer when it was announced Woodward was flying back to conduct "urgent transfer business?" We all waited with baited breath for nothing to happen. We then had all our targets aired in public and had Everton sodomise us over Fellaini on deadline day. I'm glad we intend to be more private with these things.

We do have a good squad. We are lacking 2 or 3 top players in suspect positions and carry a similar amount in dead weight... The squad on a whole is good. Unfortunately, you don't win championships with just a 'good' squad (unless your name is Alex Ferguson), we need some big players to carry us through the tough times.

2 of our key players in Rafael and Van Persie have missed most of the season so far. Not to mention Carricks (our only capable midfielder right now) spell on the sidelines.

Moyes is just saying it how it is. He knows exactly where we need to strengthen and the level of players we need. I'm happy to admit he has been underwhelming in terms of results, performances and even his summer window activity and have real doubts over whether he will succeed here, but to get on his back about this is a bit much.

Lots of people also seem to forget that we have a bucket load of potential within our squad.

Saying nothing would be better in this situation. No matter what he says about the squad - good or bad - it will get turned against him some way or another. Every January for the past 20 years we've at least had a sniff at winning the league, and that has provided a pretty big safety net in terms of what the manager can and can't say to the press.

This ten times.

I love all of you who are loyal and positive but if everything is so rosy then why do we ...

# playing Rooney and Kagawa in midfield
# end up with Valencia as a RB even when we know his weaknesses
# using Evra week in and out even if he crawl on his knees
# dismiss Fabio, Büttne, Zaha and Ando
# are eleven points away from the top

I haven't mention our shit game plan and non existence plan B and C. That's the managers fault.

If you deliver results then you can talk like Fergie, otherwise it's better to just shut up.

We need a LB and at least one midfielder, to start with. If we don't find the right players fine, but stop talking crap. At the moment Moyes comments and the reality isn't walking hand in hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Meh, Moyes is doing the right thing. Saying "we're going to do everything we can to get brilliant players as our squad is terribly weak" would've just raised expectations amongst fans and lowered morale further amongst the squad. Best to say nothing and keep working behind the scenes. He'd be a madman if he wasn't trying to strengthen, this is his job on the line after all.

SAF would've said exactly the same thing, and would also have been criticised for it.

IF he's keeping everybody in the dark. Unfortunately, I reckon he is just being honest. He'll also recognize soon that a world cup summer isn't the easiest time to sign players either, especially when you add the possibility of no Champions League football.

Sadly Moyes has never managed a football club before, and therefore knows not a thing about this transfer windows lark. We should have brought in a manager who has around 15 years of experience.of managing football clubs and signing footballers to them during these transfer windows so he wouldn't be learning on the job. Sadly, he'll find this all out in his first summer managing a football club when a World Cup is on when it'll be too late.

Drat and bugger and poo.

Yeah, he should go into press conferences and sit in silence whilst pointing to a "No comment" sign positioned whimsically overhead.

He's right in respect of January being a tough time to buy players however I have to disagree with him regarding the squad. A good squad implies we have cover in all areas which we do not. Certainly I wouldn't want incorrect panic buys which reduce the fund for quality improvements maybe in the summer.

He's right in respect of January being a tough time to buy players however I have to disagree with him regarding the squad. A good squad implies we have cover in all areas which we do not. Certainly I wouldn't want incorrect panic buys which reduce the fund for quality improvements maybe in the summer.

I think he definitely knows the squad deficiencies but he doesn't wanna mention them too much now in order to avoid unsettling the players even more. I hope it's like that anyway.

The squad is adequate. This is a talented group of players who have achieved success in previous seasons. The reason for our underachievement this season is quite simple, the management has been poor.

January isn't an easy month to purchase in, and we didn't find the summer easy either, so we're a bit screwed. Maybe a World Cup summer will be easier.

Moyes: "Hey Mr Woodword, how are enquiries going on new signings? Any news on the 2 names I gave you? Koke and Barkley" Woodword: "Hi David, I have Been talking to representatives fom both Coca Cola and Barclays Bank. And they may be interested in becoming partners"

This is good.

The squad is adequate. This is a talented group of players who have achieved success in previous seasons. The reason for our underachievement this season is quite simple, the management has been poor.

In Moyes' defence, only maybe Mourinho and Guardiola would've been able to squeeze a similar level of performances from some of these players to what Ferguson did.

Sadly Moyes has never managed a football club before, and therefore knows not a thing about this transfer windows lark. We should have brought in a manager who has around 15 years of experience.of managing football clubs and signing footballers to them during these transfer windows so he wouldn't be learning on the job. Sadly, he'll find this all out in his first summer managing a football club when a World Cup is on when it'll be too late.

Drat and bugger and poo.

I love irony but ATM it looks like you just describe the bitter reality because otherwise we shouldn't bought Microhead for zillion millions five minutes before the transfer window closed.

Last summer you were negative and didn't believe in anything, I liked that approach more then this positive nonsense ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In Moyes' defence, only maybe Mourinho and Guardiola would've been able to squeeze a similar level of performances from some of these players to what Ferguson did.

Guardiola would have signed about 15 midfielders within his first three hours at the club, thus removing a huge part of the problem.

Mourinho would have us top of the league right now.